Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,837 members, 7,886,235 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 06:21 AM

Webhost Needed For Forum Site Before Week Runs Out! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Webhost Needed For Forum Site Before Week Runs Out! (1209 Views)

Looking For Forum Poster / Need For Forum Creators / I Need Sms Alert Or Notification For Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Webhost Needed For Forum Site Before Week Runs Out! by gameaddict(m): 3:22pm On Apr 07, 2010
Hi guys!

I have an unexpected two weeks holiday from school and finally decided to do something on the web. So I downloaded xampp, configured some stuffs, downloaded smf, customised it amd everything works fine! Now, all I need is a good and fast webhosting plan to host the site. Anyone with ideas or info on a cheap webhosting plan that includes a free domain name should please post it.

Please, experienced users of webhosting plans, I need your advice on issues to consider and your recommendations on starting a forum.

Anyone who has info on hosting a video viewing site should please post it here. I messed around with one of 'em CMS's and created one but I dont know how much I'll need to get it on the web. Any ideas?
Re: Webhost Needed For Forum Site Before Week Runs Out! by Afam4eva(m): 4:28pm On Apr 07, 2010
Hello gameaddict,

Getting a web hosting package is fast and easy and creating a forum using a CMS is not far fetched. You can create an SMF(just like nairaland.) or PHPBB in a matter of seconds. You also said you want to have videos on your site, that's called ffmpeg hosting. All these are available in your control panel once you get a web hosting account at http://www.internetvisa.net . You can send me a personal email at info@internetvisa.net.
Re: Webhost Needed For Forum Site Before Week Runs Out! by gameaddict(m): 5:18pm On Apr 07, 2010
Hi! Thanks for replying. Is it possible to transfer my site on localhost to your server and import the database? Do I get a free domain name?
Re: Webhost Needed For Forum Site Before Week Runs Out! by Afam4eva(m): 5:53pm On Apr 07, 2010
Yes you can transfer your site. First you need to create an ftp account in your control panel with which you can use to log into your ftp program. Don't forget to download an ftp server, advisably Cute ftp. yes you can also import the databse from your Xxamp.
Re: Webhost Needed For Forum Site Before Week Runs Out! by Afam4eva(m): 6:15pm On Apr 07, 2010
gameaddict, you only get a free domain if you go for the gold package.
Re: Webhost Needed For Forum Site Before Week Runs Out! by gameaddict(m): 6:23pm On Apr 07, 2010
Okay, your bronze package offers - databases. What does that mean? Your domain registration icon on the top menu is not redirecting so how do I know the price?
Re: Webhost Needed For Forum Site Before Week Runs Out! by Afam4eva(m): 6:35pm On Apr 07, 2010
gameaddict:

Okay, your bronze package offers - databases. What does that mean? Your domain registration icon on the top menu is not redirecting so how do I know the price?

"Database" simply means that you can host up to 5 databases while the Gold package offers UNLIMITED database". Concerning the domain page. Right now we don't sell domain alone. We only sell to those who are buying a hosting account. So, you just have to order for a hosting account and provide your domain name. They will come together.
Re: Webhost Needed For Forum Site Before Week Runs Out! by DualCore1: 9:01pm On Apr 07, 2010
Giving you more options, please click here.
Be sure to read the Terms of Service smiley
Re: Webhost Needed For Forum Site Before Week Runs Out! by gameaddict(m): 12:32am On Apr 08, 2010
Thanks y'all.

@ Dual Core: I don't totally comprehend your TOS especially the parts about backups, budget web hosting plan and disk usage provision cuz I don't know much about webhosting. Will I be able to save my site backups regularly on my own? Will a forum site violate the the system resource limit? Will a video viewing site violate it? Also explain the disk usage part. It says something about all content being linked from html. What do you mean by contents consuming 500kb being restricted to 10% of purchased disk space? What will I use the remaining spaces for? Will video streaming violate this?

Please reply.
Re: Webhost Needed For Forum Site Before Week Runs Out! by DualCore1: 1:16am On Apr 08, 2010
Hi gameeaddict let me address your issues one by one.

A forum and a Video streaming site can be hosted on any of the shared hosting plans.

There are dedicated servers which are used to host sites for the public. the restrictions on resource usage are put in place to ensure every one on a particular server is safe and the server is healthy.

gameaddict:

What do you mean by contents consuming 500kb being restricted to  10% of purchased disk space? What will I use the remaining spaces for?
If for instance you have a total disk space of 1GB, all the files with file sizes above 500KB should not exceed 100mb (which is 10% of 1GB). You can use up your entire disk quota if you want. This applies to only files with sizes above 500KB. This does not apply to the VPS, however.

I will personally recommend you look at the VPS options if you want to run a video streaming site.

There has never been a server crash on any of the dedicated servers and VPSes and I intend to keep those records clean, I also am very transparent in business that is why these things are clearly placed in the TOS.

As per site backups, yes you will be able to save them yourself. Although backups are made daily on the server, the backups are not guaranteed and getting your site's backup to you is done as a courtesy service. Its better to also run you own backups.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

P.S: Accept my apologies for any confusions the issues raised in the TOS may have caused. In the next review of the TOS, adding some more explanations to some things there will be considered.
Re: Webhost Needed For Forum Site Before Week Runs Out! by gameaddict(m): 6:35am On Apr 08, 2010
Thanks.
Re: Webhost Needed For Forum Site Before Week Runs Out! by Afam4eva(m): 1:45pm On Apr 08, 2010
@ gameaddict
You can startout with a shared hosting account then in the future you can upgrade to a VPS or even a dedicated server.

(1) (Reply)

A Good And Creative Web Developer/ Programmer Needed / What Software Is Nairaland Currently Running On? / I Need Website For A New Business. Low Budget!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.