Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,698 members, 7,932,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 04:29 PM

BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo - Literature (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo (575554 Views)

UNDERRATED: A Story By Toyin Taiwo / TOLERATED By Toyin Taiwo / PASTORZONED: A Story By Toyin Taiwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (67) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by yetejid: 10:13pm On Jan 18, 2018
well done ma'am

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by toyhin123(f): 10:22pm On Jan 18, 2018
Thumbs up namesake,u re superb

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Horlar995(m): 10:37pm On Jan 18, 2018
Thumbs up @Rachelfst..... U"re da bomb grin grin

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Pinkfeet: 11:38pm On Jan 18, 2018
interesting
thumb up rechealfst.

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by cbella(f): 8:06am On Jan 19, 2018
This is to say, I'm back......

Amara was too calm na, at least a slap would do then they can have that talk angry

rachealfst's thanks for checking on me

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Gloryejims(f): 8:30am On Jan 19, 2018
cbella:

Amara was too calm na, at least a slap would do then they can have that talk angry

Welcome... How was the exam?

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by dissybling(f): 9:07am On Jan 19, 2018
ghost mood deactivated... nice story.. waiting patiently for the next update

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by wumsgreen(f): 9:55am On Jan 19, 2018
ghost mode deactivated my God ma you are so talented I would really want to be your friend o so I can tap form this your brain walahi you are blessed and favored indeed keep shining dear more divine grace and wisdom to u.

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by peejaylemmy(f): 10:44am On Jan 19, 2018
Thumbs up Rachealfst................................can't wait for d next update cheesy

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by cbella(f): 10:45am On Jan 19, 2018
Gloryejims:

Welcome... How was the exam?

Amazing tongue

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by emmytemmy: 11:42am On Jan 19, 2018
@racheal,u really made my day.God bless u wit dis ur update.thumb up for u.God will waters u.bt we dey expect more update oooo

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by obepeace: 12:08pm On Jan 19, 2018
Well done ma, loving every piece of this story... More update

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by obepeace: 12:10pm On Jan 19, 2018
Well done ma, I'm loving every piece of this story... More update plssss

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by afolabiwunmi: 3:15pm On Jan 19, 2018
So Interesting, more ink to your pen rachealfst

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by queenitee(f): 4:34pm On Jan 19, 2018
Awwwn, sis is amazing

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jan 19, 2018
Nice one Ma

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by rachealfst(f): 7:36pm On Jan 19, 2018
OBA
I hurriedly ended the call so as not to be distracted. I carefully followed the car but the car parked in front of a shopping mall. I parked too. I kept on following. After like one hour, the car stopped in front of a house, I later discovered that they are having a naming ceremony, I was there for more than two hours. Then the car owner left the place and I followed the car. Then it stop in front of a church. Thank God I had a full tank. I waited for another one and half hours. I was hungry and tired at the same time. Daddy Afam called again. I just hope he found his way back to the hotel. I didn’t pick it. His calls were distracting me so I put off the phone and dump it beside me. Imagined I almost miss the car, the car just drove out of the church compound. I quickly overtook. some vehicles so I could catch up.

I carefully followed the car to it's final destination. I looked around a bit then wrote down the address. I made sure I wasn't spotted.

I was really tired but I need to see Daddy Afam. I turned back and headed for the hotel but unfortunately I got stucked in traffic for more than two hours. I almost cried, I hitted my hands continuously on the steering. I knew Daddy Afam will seriously be angry with me. I picked my phone to call him. Then I remembered it was off. I put it on and tried calling but he's not number was switched off.
"God! What have I done" I hit my forehead hard with my hand.
I should I've told him my movement but I had little time to talk, so I won't be distracted.
At last I got to my one room apartment around 10pm. I already bought bread while in traffic. I just fried egg and ate. I didn't derive any satisfaction in the food, I only ate to fill my stomach. I was thinking of how much I hurt Daddy Afam today.
I took my bath and slept promising myself that I'll be the first person he'll see the next day.

____________________Toyin Taiwo

MUMMY EJIOFOR
I had to leave school when I was through with the students I was supervising without going back to the staff room. I knew Afam will be waiting for me there, reason why I left.
After my long engagement for the day, I got home tired and stressed out not from the activities but because of the man who showed up into my life after so many years. I don't know what he wants, he had his family, so I don't know why he was looking for me. He came all the way from Enugu to Lagos just to ask for my forgiveness. I'm a Christian and we are to forgive those who trespassed against us if we want God to forgive us. I have forgiven him but I don't want him in my life or in the life of my daughter. She managed to do well without him.
“God, I didn't see this coming” I muttered. I'm very sure, he'll come back to school tomorrow but I won't give him any audience.
I was busy making my dinner when Crystal came back from work. She came into the kitchen to greet me.
"I'm home....
"Welcome my dear, how's work today?"
"Great. Yours?"
"Hmm.. fine"
"Did you attend the christening?"
"Yes, I did. It was nice"
"Good, let me boil rice for myself” she said.
Don't worry I made extra semo, you can eat that" I said.
"Thanks mum, Let me set the table" She dished the food and we settle down to eat.
"Mum, you barely touched your food, are you ok?" Crystal pointed out.
"I'm fine, I think I'm just too stressed out to eat"
"Mummy try and take little, so you won't sleep on empty stomach" she advised.
I ate little and told her to clear the dishes. I told her I want to going to bed, so we said our night prayer while I left her in the sitting room.
______________Toyin Taiwo

That night I just went straight to my room. I can't believe I set my eyes on Afam after 27years. He showed up today after all this years. I wept and wept. Seeing him brought back so many memories. The pain and all. He shouldn't have come looking for me. My daughter grew up without father. She's doing well and she doesn't need him.
I knelt down to pray before I sleeping. I was praying and crying at the same time.
"Oh God you see my heart, I've forgiven Afam but God why....why.... Why did he showed up at this time" I said aloud.
Then I heard a still voice.
"I expected you to have ask me questions over this issue, years ago" God spoke.
"I'm sorry God, I was still naive then, I thought I have no right to question you knowing fully well that I got myself into the mess. If I didn't fornicate, he wont get me pregnant"
"But I have forgiven you!"
"I know but I thought it was my punishment"
"No it's not. You should have asked me the reason why he left"
"Lord, I thought I already knew the reason, he had a wife and kid"
"That is not the reason why he left you. But don't worry you'll find out soon"
"Hmm"
"Peace!" and the voice faded.
I thank God for speaking to me because I really felt that peace that I already loosed for hours. I stood up from where I was kneeling. Freshened up and slept.

OBA
I woke up as early as 5:00am, I washed my car and set out straight to the hotel. The receptionist is now familiar with me, so I was allowed in without questioning. They knew I take him out everyday. By 6am I was in front of his hotel room knocking. I'm sure he was awake he already told me he's an early riser.
"I don't need a room service" he said out loud.
I brought out my phone and called him. He didn't pick at first but he picked the second time.
"Daddy Afam, it's me. Please open the door sir" I pleaded.
He opened the door and went back to the bed and lie down.
"Oba.....
"I'm very sorry for what happened yesterday"
"Do you know what I went through yesterday, Amara stood me up. You also left me all alone, you didn't tell me your whereabouts. You just vanish into thin air, and you know I don't know anywhere in Lagos" he poured out his mind.
"I'm very sorry sir I....
"Sorry! Oba! You disappointed me"
"Just hear me out sir"
"I'm listening"
"I was in the car yesterday, still waiting for you. Then I saw the woman you said you are waiting for in the staffroom. She drove pass me and I was like is this not the person you are waiting for? Then I quickly start the car and followed her. I followed her to the mall where she went to pick a gift. From there I followed her to a house where they are having christening. And from there she went to church for mid week service and from there to her house"
"You actually followed her to her house?"
"Yes, I now know where she's staying"
"Oba!!! What will I do without you, I told you, you are my son, just don't know how I misplaced you" he said and gave me a bear hug.

"What next Oba" He asked curiously.
"We won't go to school again, you'll meet her in her home instead"
"Thank you very much, but if she doesn't want to see me...
"Hmm.......I said shaking my head. "You have to be positive, you are a Christian, have faith. Pray and commit her hearts into God's hands" I advised.
We decided to go to her house the next day.

AFAM
We left the hotel and went in search of Amara the next day. Oba advised we go in the afternoon. I asked what if she didn’t go home straight like the other time he followed her. He said we have no other choice than to wait for her at her house.
By 3:30pm we were already in her area. We parked the car in a free space very close to the house. So from there we could easily see her when she comes. Oba already know the color of her car and the plate number.
We waited till 5:00pm, she didn't show up. "Maybe she had already arrived before we got there or maybe she didn't use her car or how come did we miss her" I said to Oba"
“You are right sir, let me go and find out but I'm sure we didn't miss her" he said and left the car. I followed him too. He knocked at the gate and the gateman opened. We both greeted him.
"Please, we want to see the woman who lives in this house"
"She's not back, she dey expect you?" The gateman queried.
"Not really, please when will she comes back?" Oba asked.
"She say she wan go revival when she commot from work. Me I no know when she go come back" he replied in pidgin.
"Ok then, thank you"
"Wetin be your name make I tell her when she come back?”
"Don't worry about our names, we are still around" Oba replied.
We returned to the car to wait and by 7:00pm we went back to find out if she was back. The gateman told us she's not yet back. While we were still talking with the gateman, a car horned behind us.
"Excuse me, na small madam be that, make I open gate" he said and went to open the big gate from the inside.
A young lady drove past us into the compound. The gateman came back few minutes later.
"I don tell small madam say some people they look for big Mummy, she dey come" he said and stood aside.

The young lady who looked exactly like Amara stepped outside the gate.
"Good evening sirs, I was told you came to see my mum" said the young lady.
"Yes, we are actually waiting for her” I said.
"Is she expecting you?"
"No she's not" Oba replied.
"I came to see her for something very important" I said.
"I've not seen this faces before what's the name, you can as well drop a message for her"
"My name is Afamefuna, I came all the way from Enugu, please I need to see your mother"
"A....fa....me....funa! Enugu! Wow! Now I get it. I've been trying to place your face, I've seen a younger version of this face before. Hold on" she said.
"Saburi go and get my things from my car and take them inside. Thanks" she instructed the gateman who obeyed. I guessed she didn’t want the gateman to hear what’s she’s about to say next. And my guess was right.
Then she turned to me. "I think I know who you are but you are the last thing my mum wants to ever set her eyes on" She said with a straight face.
"Miss.....Oba cut in.
"Excuse me, it's very obvious I wasn't talking to you, so please stay out of this"
She shifted her gaze back to me.
"Look at this house again for the last time. Never come back here again or I'll have you arrested. She never needed you before and she doesn't need you now. So pack your things and return to where you came from. The last time I heard your gist, you were supposed to be happily married, so go back to your family and stay away from her. Thank you, good bye" she grinned and slammed the gate.

I and Oba looked at each other. We didn't say a word we just went straight to the car. I got inside the car and placed my hands on my temple. My whole body system was already distabilized. We were in the car for another ten minutes.

"Sir, let's leave this place" I urge him to go ahead. We left and he took me back to the hotel.

Oba tried all comforting words on me to calm me but it all fell on deaf ears. I thought if I can ever have a chance around Amara again. That girl is sure her daughter but she should at least help me but I can't blame her. Amara would have told all her children how cruel I was to her. Oba left and for the very first time in my life, I wished I was never born into this world. I failed the woman I loved with the whole of my heart. Her love had turned to hate, that is sure.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by rachealfst(f): 7:38pm On Jan 19, 2018
wumsgreen:
ghost mode deactivated my God ma you are so talented I would really want to be your friend o so I can tap form this your brain walahi you are blessed and favored indeed keep shining dear more divine grace and wisdom to u.
Amen, thank you. And thanks for deactivating the ghost mode.lol.
Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by rachealfst(f): 7:41pm On Jan 19, 2018
cbella:

You are welcome. Welcome back.
@Amara's case, slap can't fix anything my dear sister.
Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Nickibeauty(f): 7:56pm On Jan 19, 2018
hmm dis dinner is too small, keep it coming more wisdom MA.

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by WarriFirstBorn(m): 8:05pm On Jan 19, 2018
Rachealfst don drop am again o. Every single update is a hit. Thanks bae. I am really enjoying this. You are good!

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by ayomikun95: 8:20pm On Jan 19, 2018
Wow!!!!well done ma

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by teel123(f): 8:35pm On Jan 19, 2018
rachealfst, more grace but you didn't update d part somadina called Crystal with a strange number n her response. Don't mind me oooo. I dey follow you ni oooo

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Jane1234f(f): 8:59pm On Jan 19, 2018
Wow,I love this Rachael... Carry on

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Pinkfeet: 9:09pm On Jan 19, 2018
cbella post=dm:

welcome back

so she suppose to slap Afam abiiiiii

rachealfst nice work Weldon

crystal small small hooooo , see how u dey follow ur papa talk

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Deckline(m): 9:51pm On Jan 19, 2018
This story got me "wowing"

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by Eddyella(f): 11:33pm On Jan 19, 2018
I knw Amara will accept him back buh Crystal z d major problem.Nice update ma'am,keep it up.

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by emmytemmy: 11:39pm On Jan 19, 2018
Weldone ma, more data in ur fone

1 Like

Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by WHOcarex: 11:48pm On Jan 19, 2018
Wow
Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by ayomikun95: 3:56am On Jan 20, 2018
Thumbs up ma!
Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by mofy1(f): 8:30am On Jan 20, 2018
This story is damn to sweet grin
Re: BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo by cbella(f): 8:31am On Jan 20, 2018
rachealfst:
You are welcome. Welcome back.
@Amara's case, slap can't fix anything my dear sister.

Ikr

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (67) (Reply)

My Life On Campus (A True Life Story). / Red Ashes / Beauty And The Mechanic

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.