Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,073 members, 7,890,534 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 03:37 PM

Correct Location Of Proposed Maritime University In Delta State Is Okerenghigho, - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Correct Location Of Proposed Maritime University In Delta State Is Okerenghigho, (812 Views)

Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue / Beauty Of Nigeria Maritime University, Okorenkoko, Delta State (Photos) / Nigerian Maritime University 2017 Recruitment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Correct Location Of Proposed Maritime University In Delta State Is Okerenghigho, by docadams: 2:14pm On Jan 05, 2018
The Attorney-General of the Federation, AGF, has advised the National Assembly not to change the name of Maritime University, Okerenghigho to Okerenkoko, Delta State, as proposed in a bill to the National Assembly.

Abubakar Malami (SAN) . Photo by Gbemiga Olamikan
In a memo from the office of the Attorney General, signed by H.A. Tahir, on behalf of the AGF, dated October 17, 2017, to the Clerk of the National Assembly, the AGF urged the National Assembly not to alter the name and location of the University from Okerenghigho, based on the fact that the name Okerenkoko was corrupted by the Ijaw, who were tenants in the community.

The memo titled : Re- A Bill to Establish Maritime University Which Seeks to Change the Name of the University Community from Okerenghigho to Okerenkoko, stated in part : “I am directed to draw your attention to the issues raised by the counsel for the youth wing of the Itsekiri community, Lawrence E. Erewele & Co, on the above subject matter.

“The Federal Ministry of Justice is in receipt of a correspondence from the aforementioned on the above subject matter, appealing for the intervention of the Honourable Attorney-General and Minister of Justice on the issue of a Bill for the establishment of Maritime University, Okerenkoko, which apparently is an incorrect name for the community where the university is to be located.

“In his appeal for change of the name of the university from “Maritime University, Okerenkoko” to “Maritime University, Okerenghigho,” the counsel attached:

—a letter by the Itsekiri National youths Council, NYC, to the National Assembly protesting the Bill bearing incorrect name of the community where the university is to be situated; and

— a Supreme Court decision in the matter of James Uluba & Others vs Chief E.E. Sillo & Others, which is fundamental to the cause of changing the name of the communituy on the Bill.

Tahir observed that: “Having read through the annexures to the correspondence, I observed the following:

“The proposed Maritime University is situated in an area belonging to the Itsekiri community in Delta State, “Okerenghigho”. Apprentely, “ Okerenghigho is the aboriginal name of this community, while “Okerenkoko” is the corruption of the name by the Ijaw settlers in that community.

“The Supreme Court in James Uluba & Ors vs Chief E.E. Sillo & Ors, affirmed the decision of the trial court, declaring further that the Ijaw who by virtue of their ancestor “Akpata” settled in that community, are the customary tenants of the Itsekiri, whose ancestors founded the Okerenghigho community.

Therefore, Tahir recommended that:

“In the light of the judicial pronouncement, the situs of the Maritime University and the need to avert any ethnic crises which may erupt should the Bill for the Establishment of the Maritime University be allowed to bear the opposed name “Okerenkoko,” I wish to advice that the National Assembly effect the necessary changes to reflect the aboriginal name “Maritime University, Okerenghigho.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/01/correct-location-proposed-maritime-university-delta-state-okerenghigho-not-okerenkoko-malami/amp/
Re: Correct Location Of Proposed Maritime University In Delta State Is Okerenghigho, by docadams: 2:21pm On Jan 05, 2018
Please, Please and please, let not another Ijaw- Itsekiri communal upheaval erupts again. At present there is one yet unresolved tribal clash between the Ijaws and the Urhobos in Ogbe- Ijo. with many casualties and many more in IDP camps.
Re: Correct Location Of Proposed Maritime University In Delta State Is Okerenghigho, by otokx(m): 3:26pm On Jan 05, 2018
docadams:
Please, Please and please, let not another Ijaw- Itsekiri communal upheaval erupts again. At present there is one yet unresolved tribal clash between the Ijaws and the Urhobos in Ogbe- Ijo. with many casualties and many more in IDP camps.

The right thing should be done as advised by the AGF which is backed by a Supreme Court judgment.
Re: Correct Location Of Proposed Maritime University In Delta State Is Okerenghigho, by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jan 05, 2018
docadams:
What are you trying to insinuate? That Government should give in to the demands of terrorists and miscreants? Listen and listen good, the Itsekiris of Delta State owns that land the Maritime University is located. Why can't the Ijaws take the case to a law court and let's prove it? As you would guess, they are prefer the thug-style approach rather than the civil approach.

How can these set of thieves continue to hold the Delta to a standstill each time they feel angry, how can they hold Bini, Urhobo and the Itsekiris to a battle at once for lands. Is it not clear to all Nigerians that the Ijaws are land grabbers and only out to cause tribal battles? They think they are going about this the right way butthey are wrong. Let me quickly debunk their idea that they have been spearheading the development of the Delta. The Ijaws, sincerely speaking, are the least educated in the region and have not contributed to National building and development. Until GEJ came to power, over 80% of Nigerians have not heard of the tribe because they are not important as far as Nigeria is concerned. Ijaw has no kingdom in Delta State (gbaramatu is a scam put together in the 90s). I challenge any Ijaw person to name any prominent Ijaw man in the old Warri Province or even in Delta as a whole - None. Their lack of education is dragging us backwards as they can hardly be reasoned with.

Cc:

lalasticlala, Mynd44, Ishilove, Fynestboi, MissyB3
Re: Correct Location Of Proposed Maritime University In Delta State Is Okerenghigho, by docadams: 4:59pm On Jan 05, 2018
Datazone:

What are you trying to insinuate? That Government should give in to the demands of terrorists and miscreants? Listen and listen good, the Itsekiris of Delta State owns that land the Maritime University is located. Why can't the Ijaws take the case to a law court and let's prove it? As you would guess, they are prefer the thug-style approach rather than the civil approach.

How can these set of thieves continue to hold the Delta to a standstill each time they feel angry, how can they hold Bini, Urhobo and the Itsekiris to a battle at once for lands. Is it not clear to all Nigerians that the Ijaws are land grabbers and only out to cause tribal battles? They think they are going about this the right way butthey are wrong. Let me quickly debunk their idea that they have been spearheading the development of the Delta. The Ijaws, sincerely speaking, are the least educated in the region and have not contributed to National building and development. Until GEJ came to power, over 80% of Nigerians have not heard of the tribe because they are not important as far as Nigeria is concerned. Ijaw has no kingdom in Delta State (gbaramatu is a scam put together in the 90s). I challenge any Ijaw person to name any prominent Ijaw man in the old Warri Province or even in Delta as a whole - None. Their lack of education is dragging us backwards as they can hardly be reasoned with.

Cc:

lalasticlala, Mynd44, Ishilove, Fynestboi, MissyB3

I don't think you understood my comment very well. I don't care who is right or wrong. I just don't want another outbreak of communal violence. When such occurs, it is usually those without any knowledge of or interest in the matter that suffers most or get killed. The Ogbe-Ijo crisis is still on. Can we afford another one. So whatever it takes to nip the issue in the bud should be done.
Re: Correct Location Of Proposed Maritime University In Delta State Is Okerenghigho, by docadams: 5:08pm On Jan 05, 2018
otokx:

The right thing should be done as advised by the AGF which is backed by a Supreme Court judgment.

I am for your proposal. My wish is that war should not be an option. Take a look at Warri of today compared to that of the 70s/80s. The decline is just so astonishing. All due mostly to avoidable internecine wars.

(1) (Reply)

This Is What Old English Looked Like. (THE LORD'S PRAYER) / Solve This if You Are Intelligent / Over 50 Students Renounce Cultism In COOU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.