Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,768 members, 7,979,652 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 01:36 PM

Igbo People Are Very Hardworking - Gen. Atom Kpera - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo People Are Very Hardworking - Gen. Atom Kpera (1282 Views)

Is Dave Umahi Most Hardworking Governor In Nigeria See Pictures ? / Nigerians Ranked 8th Most Hardworking Foreigners In US / Hardworking Traffic Officer 'Mama G' Meets With Police IG In Abuja. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo People Are Very Hardworking - Gen. Atom Kpera by jamesibor: 7:01pm On Jan 05, 2018
John Atom Kpera, former military governor of Benue state, has said he confronted Tunde Idiagbon over the December 31, 1983 coup that ushered in Muhammadu Buhari as head of state.

Kpera, a retired brigadier general, told Weekly Trust that he was on leave when the government of President Shehu Shagari was overthrown and had no knowledge of the plot — although he benefited as he was later appointed military governor of his home state, Benue.

Idiagbon, then a brigadier, was second-in-command to Buhari, a major general who became head of state after the coup.

Kpera said: “I was in Gboko on my leave when I heard about the coup. I didn’t participate in that one so I simply went back to Lagos. I went to Tunde Idiagbon and asked him: ‘What are you people doing?’ I told him what I have never said to anybody.

“When I went to his office I said, ‘Tunde what are you people doing? If this coup had failed and I said I was not part of it people would not believe me because of my relationship with all of you.’ We were friends but I had no inkling about that coup at all.

“I told them, ‘Look you don’t do things like that because if the coup had failed and they arrested them, I would have been arrested too.’ Other than that, it (the coup) came to me the way it did to any other person.”

He also disclosed how he heard about his appointment.

“When the coup took place in December of that year, I was here in Makurdi and when I rushed back to Dodan Barracks, I met Tunde Idiagbon who told me that I was posted to Makurdi to take over as governor of Benue State,” Kpera said.

Kpera was previously military governor of the defunct East Central state — today’s Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi and Enugu states — from March 1976 to July 1978.

IGBO ‘HARD WORKING’

He described Igbo people as hardworking who helped him to realise his ambitious budget of N85 million in one year.

It was such a huge amount at the time, forcing Shehu Musa Yar’Adua — who was second-in-command to Olusegun Obasanjo — to summon him to Lagos.

Kpera recalled: “In one year I announced a budget of N85 million and the then Chief of Staff, Shehu Musa Yar’Adua, sent for me to come to Lagos. He sat me down and said, ‘This is what you announce how are you going to get money for that?’ The policy was no deficit budgeting, but I sat and explained to him how I was going to get the money. When he was satisfied, he asked me to go.

“The Igbo man is very hard working; if you commit him to something he does it. Community development is their number one priority as I knew. I must admit that all the efforts I made there were due to their cooperation and commitment to community development.”

He will be 77 on January 3, 2018.

https://www.thecable.ng/confronted-idiagbon-buhari-coup-says-ex-military-governor/amp?__twitter_impression=true

3 Likes

Re: Igbo People Are Very Hardworking - Gen. Atom Kpera by jamesibor: 7:20pm On Jan 05, 2018
jamesibor:

“The Igbo man is very hard working; if you commit him to something he does it. Community development is their number one priority as I knew. I must admit that all the efforts I made there were due to their cooperation and commitment to community development.”

https://www.thecable.ng/confronted-idiagbon-buhari-coup-says-ex-military-governor/amp?__twitter_impression=true

This is not farther from the truth.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo People Are Very Hardworking - Gen. Atom Kpera by Nutase: 7:32pm On Jan 05, 2018
shocked shocked
Re: Igbo People Are Very Hardworking - Gen. Atom Kpera by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jan 05, 2018
It is visible to the blind and audible to the deaf

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo People Are Very Hardworking - Gen. Atom Kpera by freeze20: 7:38pm On Jan 05, 2018
We are a different specie from the rest of Nigerians. Don't blame me. I'm extreamly Igbophilic smiley

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo People Are Very Hardworking - Gen. Atom Kpera by jamesibor: 7:49pm On Jan 05, 2018
jamesibor:
John Atom Kpera, former military governor of Benue state, has said he confronted Tunde Idiagbon over the December 31, 1983 coup that ushered in Muhammadu Buhari as head of state.

Kpera, a retired brigadier general, told Weekly Trust that he was on leave when the government of President Shehu Shagari was overthrown and had no knowledge of the plot — although he benefited as he was later appointed military governor of his home state, Benue.

Idiagbon, then a brigadier, was second-in-command to Buhari, a major general who became head of state after the coup.

Kpera said: “I was in Gboko on my leave when I heard about the coup. I didn’t participate in that one so I simply went back to Lagos. I went to Tunde Idiagbon and asked him: ‘What are you people doing?’ I told him what I have never said to anybody.

“When I went to his office I said, ‘Tunde what are you people doing? If this coup had failed and I said I was not part of it people would not believe me because of my relationship with all of you.’ We were friends but I had no inkling about that coup at all.

“I told them, ‘Look you don’t do things like that because if the coup had failed and they arrested them, I would have been arrested too.’ Other than that, it (the coup) came to me the way it did to any other person.”

He also disclosed how he heard about his appointment.

“When the coup took place in December of that year, I was here in Makurdi and when I rushed back to Dodan Barracks, I met Tunde Idiagbon who told me that I was posted to Makurdi to take over as governor of Benue State,” Kpera said.

Kpera was previously military governor of the defunct East Central state — today’s Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi and Enugu states — from March 1976 to July 1978.

IGBO ‘HARD WORKING’

He described Igbo people as hardworking who helped him to realise his ambitious budget of N85 million in one year.

It was such a huge amount at the time, forcing Shehu Musa Yar’Adua — who was second-in-command to Olusegun Obasanjo — to summon him to Lagos.

Kpera recalled: “In one year I announced a budget of N85 million and the then Chief of Staff, Shehu Musa Yar’Adua, sent for me to come to Lagos. He sat me down and said, ‘This is what you announce how are you going to get money for that?’ The policy was no deficit budgeting, but I sat and explained to him how I was going to get the money. When he was satisfied, he asked me to go.

Omenkalives come and see your brother saying the truth as it is.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo People Are Very Hardworking - Gen. Atom Kpera by Blackfire(m): 8:06pm On Jan 05, 2018
The great general from benue have spoken....

Now omekalives what do you have to say?...

3 Likes

Re: Igbo People Are Very Hardworking - Gen. Atom Kpera by jamesibor: 8:09pm On Jan 05, 2018
Blackfire:
The great general from benue have spoken....

Now omekalives what do you have to say?...

Is it Omenka that is still hiding in the bush since his slave master's foot soldiers came calling?

3 Likes

Re: Igbo People Are Very Hardworking - Gen. Atom Kpera by Masterclass32: 9:29pm On Jan 05, 2018
This is the truth.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo People Are Very Hardworking - Gen. Atom Kpera by Oga080666419419: 9:39pm On Jan 05, 2018
Owoda people oya come and dispute this after gulping some plates of Amala and ewudu by your women that hawk herbal mixtures to feed you lazy men

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo People Are Very Hardworking - Gen. Atom Kpera by SouthEastFacts: 12:26am On Jan 06, 2018
Even Nigerian number 1 racist won't dispute that. So this is not a story. It is in us.
If we can rebuild Enugu, the then capital of Biafra and first Biafran city to fall during the war to become the one of the 35 cities in 2014 to join the World Top 100 most resilient cities, with just 20 pounds, achieving a monumental balanced budget of 85 million as of 1983 is nothing to us.

The fact Enugu joined the league of resilient cities at the same time Paris, London, Athens, Barcelona, Chicago joined further proves how resilient we are, not Lagos that 2/3 (over 60%) of its population are living in slums. No be me talk am ooh, na The Economist.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/12/enugu-makes-history-joins-worlds-100-resilient-cities/

https://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21721141-making-slums-less-exploitative-may-be-africas-biggest-challenge-exploitation-and

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo People Are Very Hardworking - Gen. Atom Kpera by Nobody: 12:28am On Jan 06, 2018
Oga080666419419:
Owoda people oya come and dispute this after gulping some plates of Amala and ewudu by your women that hawk herbal mixtures to feed you lazy men
Re: Igbo People Are Very Hardworking - Gen. Atom Kpera by sesaan(m): 12:35am On Jan 06, 2018
Most Igbos are hard working
Re: Igbo People Are Very Hardworking - Gen. Atom Kpera by Nobody: 12:38am On Jan 06, 2018

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Mass Burial For Over 70 Victims Of Jan 1 Benue Genocide / 2019: Why We Won't Support Buhari For Second Term - Yoruba Youths / Breaking News: US President, Donald J. Trump Donates $89m To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.