Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,281 members, 7,884,496 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 11:25 AM

Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply (3929 Views)

I’ll Perform Better In My Second Term If Re-Elected - President Jonathan Assures / Jonathan Assures Of Stable Power Supply Mid 2014 / Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by Beaf: 2:38am On Apr 09, 2010
[size=14pt]FG assures of radical improvement in power supply [/size]
Friday, 09 April 2010 01:23 Anonymous

By retaining the power ministry in his office , Acting President Goodluck Jonathan underscored his determination to personally oversee the resolution of the country’s shambolic electricity system. And from his minister of state came a promise that there would be a radical improvement in the availability of electricity in the country in the shortest possible time.

Nuhu Wya, minister of state for power, gave the pledge yesterday at a forum of top management staff and journalists as he resumed duties in Abuja. He noted that his team needed to put its act together as no director would be allowed to just sit in an air-conditioned office, doing nothing to meet the challenges in the sector. He said the recently constituted power committee chaired by Jonathan intends to keep the promise by fast tracking the linkage of gas pipelines across the country while consolidating on arrangements with the ministry of defence to help protect pipelines and mitigate vandalism; a move Wya enthused would address the unavailability of gas.

“We have a situation where gas is available in one location in the eastern flank of the country and there are not enough plants to consume the gas whereas in the western flank there are so many plants without adequate gas. There is need for a connection; there are two parallel lines that are not meeting. With that committee which the petroleum ministry is part of, we will fast track the linkage of the gas lines so that gas can circulate from either side of the plants to ensure that there is no shortage,” Wya said.

The power committee is made up representatives of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Ministry of Finance, Bureau of Public Procurement, Bureau of Public e Enterprises, the ministries of petroleum and water resources as well as oil companies, among others.

“Our immediate objective is to improve on power to the generality of Nigeria, get sufficient gas and reinforce our transmission and distribution networks. We will ensure that whatever has been put on ground is improved and sustained to create an enabling environment for the private sector to come in and invest; to make the power sector a very conducive environment for both the present and new participants in the sector.

“We are going to explore in the medium term other sources of energy. We have many dams built to tap water resources that have huge hydro electric potentials. We are going to tap into that resource so that we can give Nigerians more electricity and electricity delivered to the point of consumption.

“There is no declaration of a state of emergency but we are working in an emergency manner. We are getting all the stakeholders involved to participate in this committee because power is a chain of many stakeholders from the fuel to the generation to the transmission to the distribution and to the consumer,” the minister said. Though declining to address the 6,000 mega watt target issue, Wya noted that as soon as the committee meets a clearer picture would be relayed to the public.

Meanwhile, Wya noted that the committee intends to pursue the power reforms instituted in 2005, adding that staff should not be afraid as reforms do not necessarily lead to job loss. “Anyone who does his job need not be afraid,” he said.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9960:fg-assures-of-radical-improvement-in-power-supply-&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by Beaf: 3:23am On Apr 09, 2010
"Nobody can tell you that there is no rural electrification, but it is the system of going about it that we are addressing. It is the agency, REA, that we are addressing. We believe that rural electrification can be best addressed by the 11 distribution companies. These companies are the ones that connect people to the grid. What we had before was an agency that was sitting in Abuja and was awarding contracts to people to do rural electrification without a connection to the distribution companies that are in charge of delivering power to the people.

"We are saying that there should be a rethink. Who are the people giving the power to the people? They are engineers, even better engineers from the same PHCN. Is that assignment not better handled by the distribution companies who are nearer the people and who are going to run the system and manage the infrastructure at the end of the day? What we are doing is dismantling REA and establishing a rural electrification bench in each of those 11 distribution companies to ensure that our people in the rural communities do enjoy electricity," he said.
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=170537

A lot more thought than previously seems to be going into our power provision calculations. While this is good for the short term, we need to be thinking about a flexible distribution system that would make total decentralisation possible in the future. The main arguments for decentralisation are that it allows for the smallest companies to be able to generate power locally; it would even allow for each household to generate as much of their power as possible. This can be acheived with biogas from waste products (food / faecal), solar, microturbine etc. Another benefit to such decentralisation is in national security, there simply wouldn't be a huge power station to bomb if we ever came under attack.
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by ireneann: 12:04pm On Apr 09, 2010
I am in a wait and see mode
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by afanda(m): 12:39pm On Apr 09, 2010
On our part as law abiding citizens,we will pray 4 our leaders!
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by kawazaki(m): 12:43pm On Apr 09, 2010
On can only imagine the multiple effect this will have on our economy.

I pray this MIRACLE happens
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by Fhemmmy: 12:45pm On Apr 09, 2010
Too much talking, let them spare us of the history, let them just act.
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by violent(m): 12:54pm On Apr 09, 2010
If my boy Jonathan can achieve this, nothing will stop is future politcal ambition.

Yes, you heard me right-----NOTHING
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by naijaswag1: 12:59pm On Apr 09, 2010
Seeing is believing,period! We are tired of promises.
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by titsqueez(m): 1:00pm On Apr 09, 2010
noise noise noise. . . i am going to report all noise makers grin
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by Voned(f): 1:06pm On Apr 09, 2010
Pls give us a break, stop giving us false hope
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by Nobody: 1:09pm On Apr 09, 2010
To be honest if only there can be constant and uniterrupted power supply, this alone will make a big difference for many small business and severely reduce noise pollution.

One area that we can start with is Nuclear energy which is environmentally clean with no emissions of greenhouse gases.

I am sure we have  the brains, what Jonathan needs to do now that he is also the Power minster ,  is to setup an independent body to look at these alternative sources of power.
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by Fhemmmy: 1:16pm On Apr 09, 2010
■ ■ Lol
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by oge4real(f): 1:20pm On Apr 09, 2010
We need active actions, no more long stories.
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by OAM4J: 1:25pm On Apr 09, 2010
From the time of Abdusalam to Obasanjo and then Yarasick, power committees have always been set up only to fail

Promises have always been made concerning power and promises have always been broken.

People are not interested in promises, or setting up of any committee or public discussion on how to solve power problem.

All Nigerians want is stable power, however Jonathan achieves it. And if he achieves it, he would win the hearts of millions of Nigeria.
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by Fhemmmy: 1:31pm On Apr 09, 2010
OAM4J:

From the time of Abdusalam to Obasanjo and then Yarasick, power committees have always been set up only to fail

Promises have always been made concerning power and promises have always been broken.

People are not interested in promises, or setting up of any committee or public discussion on how to solve power problem.

All Nigerians want is stable power, however Jonathan achieves it. And if he achieves it, he would win the hearts of millions of Nigeria.

Very true, however, none of those that you mentioned has chaired the committee and Uncle Jonathan has decided to chair it himself, so let us give him a chance.
You are so right, all we want is a 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year electricity, and it is not rock scientist, cos we dont have to invent anything, all the technologies are already out there and we have the money and the manpower to make it happen.
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by Nneomaj(f): 1:46pm On Apr 09, 2010
I never believed d 6000 mega watts but this sounds different and something good may happen this time.
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by AroOkigbo(m): 1:59pm On Apr 09, 2010
Who knows, they may be planning to buy "I pass my neighbour generator" for every Nigerian home.
Believe this (the contractors are there, with or without due process), then there will be "radical" improvement in power supply across the country. grin
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by otokx(m): 2:00pm On Apr 09, 2010
Even in the next 6 months nothing is going to happen.
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by Fhemmmy: 2:01pm On Apr 09, 2010
otokx:

Even in the next 6 months nothing is going to happen.

Lol
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by chidichris(m): 2:12pm On Apr 09, 2010
unfortunately, i was unable to finish the whole write up but i would love to know WHEN?
this particular word WHEN has been the major problem of the past presidents who made similar promise in the past.
the old fool said the same and the sick fool promised us same and now u - jonathan.
my only problem here is WHEN
i will make anambra dubai and japan, i will fire the whole nigeria, i will make abuja a heaven on earth all words of mouth.
jonathan! jonathan!! jonathan!!! do not tow the same path that ur predecessors towed.
by the way, why is it that every nigerian ruler use this electricity as a charm on us? even this one wey we no elect?
anyways, like i said, everything is possible as many will tell us rome was not built in a day but let someone tell us the WHEN
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by ochukoccna: 2:23pm On Apr 09, 2010
STORY STORY!
[size=18pt]STORY![/size]
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by sulad82i(m): 2:24pm On Apr 09, 2010
Seeing is believing. If it hasnt happen yet, then I dont believe what the heck they are saying
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by davmor(m): 2:26pm On Apr 09, 2010
Beaf:

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=170537

A lot more thought than previously seems to be going into our power provision calculations. While this is good for the short term, we need to be thinking about a flexible distribution system that would make total decentralisation possible in the future. The main arguments for decentralisation are that it allows for the smallest companies to be able to generate power locally; it would even allow for each household to generate as much of their power as possible. This can be acheived with biogas from waste products (food / faecal), solar, microturbine etc. Another benefit to such decentralisation is in national security, there simply wouldn't be a huge power station to bomb if we ever came under attack.
I BELIEVE DECENTRALIZATION IS GONNA DO MUCH BETTER, BUT PLS EXPLAIN "UNDER WHICH ATTACK"?
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by jossy501: 2:36pm On Apr 09, 2010
Easier said than done!
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by Beaf: 2:37pm On Apr 09, 2010
davmor:

I BELIEVE DECENTRALIZATION IS GONNA DO MUCH BETTER, BUT PLS EXPLAIN "UNDER WHICH ATTACK"?

In case of armed conflict.
If for example we ever need to sieze Bakassi back from Cameroun, power stations will be a target.
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by Reptyle(m): 2:43pm On Apr 09, 2010
At my table making a list of groceries for the month. Reads this article and remembers what happened the last time they said the same thing. Shakes head sadly, yawns and "radically" increases his note on his list from one pack of candles to a carton. Also makes a mental note to call Rasaki to service his overworked I-BETA-PASS-MY-NEIGHBOUR. Its got some more work to do yet.
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by denony(m): 3:15pm On Apr 09, 2010
This is true, in my area we have been enjoying light since almost a month now.
people have started getting tired of using light. i think its going to be actualised.

My area is a living witnss.
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by Beaf: 3:28pm On Apr 09, 2010
denony:

This is true, in my area we have been enjoying light since almost a month now.
people have started getting tired of using light. i think its going to be actualised.

My area is a living witnss.

Eh?!
Tired of using light? Bros, na so dem wiked una before? Damn! grin
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by davmor(m): 3:38pm On Apr 09, 2010
Beaf:

In case of armed conflict.
If for example we ever need to sieze Bakassi back from Cameroun, power stations will be a target.

now i understand where u are coming from. or if 9jadeltans want to fight the other people, u no what i mean
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by Beaf: 4:07pm On Apr 09, 2010
davmor:

now i understand where u are coming from. or if 9jadeltans want to fight the other people, u no what i mean

Abeg rest jare! grin
You deh find my maut wen NEPA don cease light!
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by Fhemmmy: 4:10pm On Apr 09, 2010
Different character
Re: Fg Assures Of Radical Improvement In Power Supply by Borat1: 4:15pm On Apr 09, 2010
You Guys make me laff. . .
Jonathan decides to take up the notorious power sector, and that does not give you an inkling that he knows the problem will be solved in the shortest possible time and wants to take the glory, , ,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sambo Says Efcc Recovered 11 Billion Dollars / Presidential Election Trial: INEC Insists That Jonathan Won / Nigeria May Join Global Economic Powers In 2030 – US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.