Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,816 members, 7,942,063 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 07:11 PM

Currently Learning Elixir And I'm Loving It - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Currently Learning Elixir And I'm Loving It (1544 Views)

Anyone Currently Learning UI/UX? Come In Here / Hi Developers, I've Got An Application, And I'm Looking For A Partnership / Functional Programming Is Fun With Elixir (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Currently Learning Elixir And I'm Loving It by harryobas: 12:58am On Jan 11, 2018
What is Elixir?

Elixir was first introduced in 2012. It is a general-purpose, functional language designed for building scalable and maintainable applications. Created by Jose Valim at Plataformatec. The language complies with the bytecode seen on the Erlang VM (also known as BEAM). Its syntax is similar to and often compared to Ruby.

Scalability

Elixir code runs inside lightweight, isolated processes, which allows for thousands of processes to run concurrently in the same machine. This, in turn, allows for vertical scaling and uses all of a machine’s CPU cores as efficiently as possible.

These processes are also able to communicate with other processes running on different machines on the same network, providing a solid foundation for distribution and allowing for horizontal scaling.

Fault tolerance

Running into issues with running software is inevitable, but Elixir’s fault-tolerant system can make the process a little less painful. It provides ‘supervisors’ that you can program with descriptions of how to restart certain parts of a system when things fail.

These parts will then revert to a ‘known, initial state’, which is guaranteed to work.

Functional Programming

Elixir allows you to write short, fast and maintainable code. Pattern matching allows developers to destructure data and access its contents. When mixed with guards, this allows you to match and assert conditions for code to execute.

Who is adopting Elixir, and why?

Social media giants such as Pinterest and Bleacher Report have switched over to Elixir, often with the Phoenix framework.

Bleacher Report, for example, said that the switch from Ruby on Rails to Elixir has led it to reduce its number of required servers from 150 to just five, and handle eight times more traffic.

Elixir is generally seen as a superior choice for high-traffic systems, which is becoming an increasingly pressing issue for developers given that the number of internet users has tripled over the last decade.

While Rails apps can respond in tens of hundreds of milliseconds to web requests, Elixir apps can respond in microseconds.

The evolving needs of companies means that it is in the best interests of developers to consider developing greater fluency in Elixir programming. Doing so could truly give you an edge over other candidates.

source: https://www.siliconrepublic.com/advice/elixir-programming-language-career
Re: Currently Learning Elixir And I'm Loving It by Bessalitskykh: 4:11pm On Feb 27, 2019
Nowadays the Elixir programming language has become very popular, which made the efficiency and advantages of other back-end languages be called into question.

The Elixir programming language is very productive. It is good at scaling of applications.

Phoenix web framework is its big advantage. The Elixir programming toolset is also good. Although, the number of libraries and services is often not enough for all developers’ needs, but the core team and numerous contributors are actively working to improve the situation.

Due to the clean syntax Elixir code is easy to write. Just a few lines of code are needed for a command to be implemented.

Though the Elixir community is comparatively small, it is very welcoming and supportive. With its popularity, the number of Elixir developers, contributors, and followers grows as well.

Elixir offers both the development speed and performance so developers are happy with that.

Follow this article https://mlsdev.com/blog/elixir-programming-facts-to-know-for-better-app-development to find out other benefits of Elixir programming language and its Phoenix framework.
Re: Currently Learning Elixir And I'm Loving It by sament: 11:55pm On Oct 20, 2019
@Bessalitskykh and @harryobas kindly contact +2348029056826 (via call,SMS or WhatsAPP) for Elixir gig.

Thanks
Re: Currently Learning Elixir And I'm Loving It by DanielDanYSBM(m): 8:49am On May 06, 2020
Hi
Thanks for sharing your knowledges.

You can also check this blog: https://y-sbm.com/blog
Maybe you will find useful information for you.

Good luck!

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Attach My Ajax Toolkit With Visual Studio / . / I Need HELP With This Python Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.