Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,682 members, 7,921,460 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 05:45 AM

Educational System In Osun State By Comfort (A Candid Opinion) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Educational System In Osun State By Comfort (A Candid Opinion) (975 Views)

2022 Unity School Cut Off Marks State By State / Why Are Private Schools No Longer Operating The 6-3-3-4 Educational System? / Ghana Adopts Chukwuka Okonjo's Double Intake Educational System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Educational System In Osun State By Comfort (A Candid Opinion) by oluFELAxy(m): 4:12am On Jan 12, 2018
Kindly read thoroughly till the end and share. I will really appreciate your contributions in the comments; in rubbing minds together, we make way for solutions.
I mentioned in my last post that I will be writing about the Education system in Osun State in my next post, and this is that post. (Thank you for liking my former posts, God bless you).
It is believed that South Western states are the best when it comes to education, especially because we have been able to prove ourselves to Nigerians and all of Africa. It is very obvious that the South West of Nigeria has been generally recognized as the 'book area of Nigeria'. As far as Education is concerned, South West Nigeria has made some great records. To start to mention these records is to create a very long post.
Osun State is in the South West of Nigeria and educationally we have been awesome. I know personally that the standard of education was a very excellent one until some decisions were made by the present administration. Yes! The standard education was excellent. When I refer to institution I am referring to the educational system of Osun, I am talking about those aspects exclusively handled by the government of Osun- Public primary, secondary and tertiary institutions.
In time past, public schools especially secondary schools were the envy of everyone. The students in the school were extremely brilliant- beneficiary of different scholarships, and were more disciplined. I remember vividly, that the first student in Osun State to travel to space was from a public secondary school, Moremi High School, OAU, Ile-Ife to be precise. She was a young girl, the daughter of a Carpenter. She beat very big private schools hands down in the exam that qualified her to travel to space.
When I begin to mention the name of schools, deep down in the heart of people, there is the painful feeling that these schools have lost their glory. For example, what comes to your mind at the thought of Oduduwa College, Ile-Ife; School of Science, Ondo Road, Ile-Ife; Fakunle comprehensive college, Osogbo; Timi Agbale Grammar School, Ede and many more like that. The government might not recognize the havoc they have caused, but students; alumni; teachers and parents who relate directly with schools feel the degradation.
I don't know which came first, I can't recollect which idea was implemented by the Aregbesola first but I know all had a severe effect on our educational system. The using of same uniform across the whole of Osun State is not the joy of any Osun State student, and that is the truth. You can ask the students and they will really pour out their mind. Let me say at this point that before any implementation is made in any sector, all stakeholders involved should be considered. It was by not involving the necessary people that the change of Osun State to State of Osun has backfired.
The reason why different school uniforms was peculiar to each school was primarily for identification. Inasmuch as the schools in Osun State don't bear the same name, there is no sense in giving the same uniform to all students. It is good to note that these schools were created with different ideologies and concepts with a main aim to impart knowledge. With distinctive school uniforms, students can be easily monitored both in and out of school. Students in those days were always proud of their school uniforms and were always dressing nice to show others how good they were- what is the essence of schools without healthy competitions.
If a public school students commits an offence publicly, we really don't know which school to tag him/her too. We even hear news of how students can study in whatsoever school they wish to study. I really don't know the reason why one school uniform was introduced because till today I have not heard any genuine reason for doing such. I remember sometimes ago, when we organized a competition for secondary school students in Ile-Ife, it was difficult for the judges to identify the schools that the different government school students were from. All the judge could say was 'thanks to this government for this confusion.'
Then we have very big and beautiful schools being built all around Osun State. You will notice that I call them big and beautiful, because they really are. But I have noticed that they are not the things we need presently in Osun State, the government has refused to set her priorities right. I wonder what happened to the buildings that were in existence before, renovations on the former buildings would have made them better and good. Instead large amount of money were 'wrongly' invested into building new ones. Osun State can actually build gigantic structures, but with our economy status and orientation, maintaining the structures will be a serious issue. Anyone can take a trip round the schools that are being built by this government and will see what I am pointing at. (You can visit the new school building at Fajuyi Road, Ile-Ife or the one at cottage, Ede and so on).
In the ancient Afonja story, when Afonja was about selling his armies; he had a dream where his father warned him not to sell to his armies but he may add to them. Afonja didn't heed and he payed dearly for it; generations are paying for his stubbornness and disobedience. I wished the present administration had put this into consideration before building this schools. Places where education is thriving and excelling don't usually have big buildings, they only ensure to provide a very comfortable atmosphere with every needed facility. We really wasted time and resources building schools, hence affecting the academic standard of our state.
I can go on and on and keep mentioning the mistakes and errors if this administration as far as education is concerned, I can talk about the port conditions of teachers; the failure of opon imo; the defects of scholarship exams etc. In all, the standard of education in Osun State has dropped drastically and it is obvious in the words, living and gesture of every concerned in the education of Osun State, especially the students.
I will advice that the government retrace its step and set all things right. Let the government be considerate in its decision, putting first and necessary things first. The way we know if our educational system is system is working is by the products we produce, not by the buildings we build; It is by the good system we build, not by the excuses we give to justify our actions. It is not too late to bend the fish.
With so great love.
Comfort.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

TOTAL Internship Shortlists Students For Selection Test / Eredo LCDA Boss Inspects Noic's Vocational Training Facilities / Aarinola Olaiya Blessing Numerous Awards In OAU 2018 Convocation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.