Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,211 members, 7,884,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 06:23 AM

Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help (6491 Views)

How Much Are You Earning Monthly from The Job You Are Doing Presently / Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? / Have You Ever Quit A Job Without Giving Notice? Share Your Reasons. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by Doerstech(m): 7:50am On Jan 13, 2018
I resigned from my last full time job around June 2017.......

Since then i have bn working for myself, temptation to go back has bn there, because of family pressure for me to do so.....

But so far, so good with the normal challenges especially if you operate with virtual office.......

I will leave you with this three threads......Read all or pick the one that suits you most. Have a blessed weekend

https://www.nairaland.com/3720040/when-right-time-leave-job

https://www.nairaland.com/3855433/3-things-after-receiving-sack

https://www.nairaland.com/4259416/5-lessons-learnt-starting-own

Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by anibirelawal(m): 7:50am On Jan 13, 2018
YES you can, only if there is alternative...or else just stay and pray for better job.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by FromZeroToHero(m): 7:51am On Jan 13, 2018
while not work, save money and then venture fully in your own enterprise.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by Misterdhee1(m): 8:00am On Jan 13, 2018
safarigirl:
Bros, do not become a slave in another man's establishment when you can manage yours.

Do not listen to people with little or no ambition who tell you to remain in a comfort zone called paid employment, majority of Nigerians are frustrated because they are in that zone. If you have the means and the passion to do your own thing, do it

It is better to fail at the early stages of doing your own thing and eventually succeed than have a false sense of comfort fulfilling another man's dreams
You forgot to add that the thing line between failing at the early stages before succeeding is suicidal

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by Coldfeets: 8:01am On Jan 13, 2018
It depends.
Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by castrol180(m): 8:03am On Jan 13, 2018
safarigirl:
Bros, do not become a slave in another man's establishment when you can manage yours.

Do not listen to people with little or no ambition who tell you to remain in a comfort zone called paid employment, majority of Nigerians are frustrated because they are in that zone. If you have the means and the passion to do your own thing, do it

It is better to fail at the early stages of doing your own thing and eventually succeed than have a false sense of comfort fulfilling another man's dreams

Come and update your diary or...https://www.nairaland.com/4238152/diary-uniabuja-fyb
Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by drealmydas: 8:07am On Jan 13, 2018
safarigirl:

Dumb talk!. Most successful entrepreneurs started by being an employee, most successful igbo traders started by being somebody's "boy boy"

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by rachiedam: 8:13am On Jan 13, 2018
I don't see reason why one should keep the job that he/she doesn't like..try discover what you like doing and venture all your energy to it. my opinion though
Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by ignis: 8:17am On Jan 13, 2018
Please leave the job...
Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by Bombolistic: 8:20am On Jan 13, 2018
Two questions

1. Why take it in the first place
2. Do many do the job they love Or they do it for the money?
Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:27am On Jan 13, 2018
Life is short. Don't. Waste. It.
Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by damola1: 8:33am On Jan 13, 2018
Just like you started work and left 1 week after.

I know say na ewu blow you go work as you come see work again your brain reset. You want to eat your cake and have it.

My only prayer na may God give you staff that will start work and leave 1 week after

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by Kolasola: 8:35am On Jan 13, 2018
Thank you guys . I'm really elated by your comments..
As for the alternative ..yes I do have .. Was doing something for my self before I was called to resume work .. and I already have a project waiting to be done for a client . Which if I'm to still be employed .. I will never have the time for the work and any other side works..
Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by Richy4(m): 8:36am On Jan 13, 2018
In all my life, I wish I have seen some one that loved their job.. But we do it because of the income...

A lot of people will lie with a smile that they loved their job.. but what about that feeling of not willing or enthusiasm to get out of bed especially on a Monday morning...

Most times when you do that thing u loved the most, it doesn't yield much money or pay..

I would have loved to work in a radio station..using fake British accent mixed with Idoma to talk to those who cares to listen on whatever nonsense the topic of the day was and play music all day grin.. But no, I am stuck with the most boring job in the world just looking at figures in computer all day..Everyday embarassed

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by Kolasola: 8:37am On Jan 13, 2018
damola1:
Just like you started work and left 1 week after.

I know say na ewu blow you go work as you come see work again your brain reset. You want to eat your cake and have it.

My only prayer na may God give you staff that will start work and leave 1 week after
If the ewu you mean is been broke sir.. I don't think I have ever been in such conditions.. I do something for myself and have got a well to do and supportive family ..

Took the offer cuz I felt the job has a constant reliance..
Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by azelab: 9:17am On Jan 13, 2018
pls can you show me how you make money on your own, i prefer to be self employed.
Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by HeyCorleone(m): 9:26am On Jan 13, 2018
People say if you don't like your job, quit it. Bullshit nonsense.
I think you'd find the threat of starvation and homelessness quite compelling.
Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by efficiencie(m): 10:57am On Jan 13, 2018
Cost-Benefit analysis is all you need. What is the cash flow from your job like and how does it compare to the average cash flow from your independent practice? If your job yields a steady and improved cash flow I will advice you endure for a while, gather enough capital (money, skill and information), hone in on your target market, design a plan on how to start your own practice and what scale you want to start...and when you have satisfactory answers to these questions, you can tender in your resignation letter and pursue your beautiful dreams!

May the LORD bless your hustle!
Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by walearoy(m): 11:01am On Jan 13, 2018
passyhansome:
Yes, Job is only a means to an end, the end is happiness. So if you are not having it, then what's the essence

Just got inspired by this

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by yoged(m): 12:12pm On Jan 13, 2018
Kolasola:
Got this job week ago.. but every day of working there seems to come with this feeling of emptiness in me..
And at a point I was considering the unthinkable...
You may not understand I'm coming from a family where entrepreneurship is the way of life .. and everyone is really doing great .. so this has always unconsciously made my mind to be carved with the mindset of "I can't just work for anybody"
But here is the problem .. I barely started this a week ago and this is my first Job .. though my skill is something I can sell any where . Was about closing yesterday when I got a text from a long term client to do some Jobs for him ..which ordinarily my work wouldn't have permitted..

I already decided to quit and go on with my former independent way of making money and trust me I really was doing good though the money wasn't consistent..

I already told my family.. and I'm really happy I took the step personally...

Matured nairalanders I will love to know if anyone had once been in my shoe.. and have I done it right?
I'm in your shoe. Though have lasted 4-5 months on the job. But have made up my mind of quitting at the end of this month.
Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jan 13, 2018
safarigirl:

how do you know he can manage his?

i see it happen a lot - we have a vendor doing a service for us , and one of his underlings/subcontractors approaches us claiming he can do the same job at a cheaper cost.

thats when you find that khaki no be leather. running a business is more than just having a skill; it is having connections, sources of funding, relationships with suppliers, relationships with clients etc.

if the guy has none of those he is far more likely to fail. one of the problems in Nigeria is that so many people are in a hurry to run out and be 'their own boss' that they have not actually confirmed that they can competently meet their client's requirements. so all the wind up doing is getting a bad reputation as incompetent, dishonest jokers.

on one of our projects, we needed to do aluminum windows. i referred the contractor to one of our reliable vendors. the contractor went behind our back to engage one of the vendor's subcontractors. it was a complete disaster and i still get angry thinking about it. i have a lot more stories like that.

people work for years in an organization building a network of clients and business partners before they branch out on their own

also, understand that everyone, in one way or another is fulfilling another man's dreams. the salary you are being paid is fulfilling your own dream;
not everyone has a dream of being an 'entrepreneur'.i'm not even sue what that means in this country outside of hustler buying goods at n10 and selling at n50)

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by seyoops4u: 1:31pm On Jan 13, 2018
Kolasola:
Got this job week ago.. but every day of working there seems to come with this feeling of emptiness in me..
And at a point I was considering the unthinkable...
You may not understand I'm coming from a family where entrepreneurship is the way of life .. and everyone is really doing great .. so this has always unconsciously made my mind to be carved with the mindset of "I can't just work for anybody"
But here is the problem .. I barely started this a week ago and this is my first Job .. though my skill is something I can sell any where . Was about closing yesterday when I got a text from a long term client to do some Jobs for him ..which ordinarily my work wouldn't have permitted..

I already decided to quit and go on with my former independent way of making money and trust me I really was doing good though the money wasn't consistent..

I already told my family.. and I'm really happy I took the step personally...

Matured nairalanders I will love to know if anyone had once been in my shoe.. and have I done it right?

For me, you might not need to quit the job for now. I'd advise you to do the two together, how do I mean ? keep your job and do your selling as you side job to raise more money to build your own empire. It'd be better if you can get people in place to sell ur stuffs for you.
The determinant might be TIME, if you'll have the time to combine the two.
Trust me, you wont regret this.

Most importantly, put it in prayer.

Regards.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by thedondada(m): 3:13pm On Jan 13, 2018
You may decide to quit your job if you don't love it and have one you love waiting.

However quitting a job you dont love in order to love hunger is really somehow to me.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by safarigirl(f): 3:51pm On Jan 13, 2018
oyb:

i see it happen a lot - we have a vendor doing a service for us , and one of his underlings/subcontractors approaches us claiming he can do the same job at a cheaper cost.

thats when you find that khaki no be leather. running a business is more than just having a skill; it is having connections, sources of funding, relationships with suppliers, relationships with clients etc.

if the guy has none of those he is far more likely to fail. one of the problems in Nigeria is that so many people are in a hurry to run out and be 'their own boss' that they have not actually confirmed that they can competently meet their client's requirements. so all the wind up doing is getting a bad reputation as incompetent, dishonest jokers.

on one of our projects, we needed to do aluminum windows. i referred the contractor to one of our reliable vendors. the contractor went behind our back to engage one of the vendor's subcontractors. it was a complete disaster and i still get angry thinking about it. i have a lot more stories like that.

people work for years in an organization building a network of clients and business partners before they branch out on their own

also, understand that everyone, in one way or another is fulfilling another man's dreams. the salary you are being paid is fulfilling your own dream;
not everyone has a dream of being an 'entrepreneur'.i'm not even sue what that means in this country outside of hustler buying goods at n10 and selling at n50)

the guy stated that his family has a history of being entrepreneurs, so he has the background. All of his family are currently into business, you really think he won't be abke to get connections and suppliers from them? Most people with a background in a certain trade or profession, usually have a good grip of things.That is also what he loves doing, as opposed to whatever he is doing now

I don't know what clients and vendors have to do with the discussion, for all we know he plans to go into buying and selling of spare parts, in which case, yoir scenario will not play out

He is not happy where he is, let him go to where he is happy and where he feels at home. Paid enployment isn't something he is used to, so, I will not in good faith, ever advise anyone to stay where they are not happy because many people never escape the clutches of paid employment no matter how much they want to at the later stages.

The fear of the unknown has crippled many dreams.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by sekem: 2:59am On Jan 14, 2018
safarigirl:

That's the spirit!

I love that!
Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by joyibee(f): 5:20pm On Jan 14, 2018
safarigirl:
the guy stated that his family has a history of being entrepreneurs, so he has the background. All of his family are currently into business, you really think he won't be abke to get connections and suppliers from them? Most people with a background in a certain trade or profession, usually have a good grip of things.That is also what he loves doing, as opposed to whatever he is doing now

I don't know what clients and vendors have to do with the discussion, for all we know he plans to go into buying and selling of spare parts, in which case, yoir scenario will not play out

He is not happy where he is, let him go to where he is happy and where he feels at home. Paid enployment isn't something he is used to, so, I will not in good faith, ever advise anyone to stay where they are not happy because many people never escape the clutches of paid employment no matter how much they want to at the later stages.

safarigirl:

safarigirl:

I love the last statement. God bless you dear.
I'm telling you I understand this guy thoroughly...
Some jobs do make it seem as if you don't have option..... And if care is not taken it will kill the spirit in you and you'll resigned, cos you are afraid, you don't know how you'll survive without the job...
I'm telling you that guy is feeling boxed up and he feels he needs to spread his wing and fly... He should go for his happiness and build himself..
The beautiful advantage he has is his family. They'll be there for him in his starting process, he should make full use of the advantage and their support while he can....
the fear of the unknown has thwarted so many destinies ... At least it is better to try than not trying at all
Note: I'm not against paid job but fulfillment, your state of mind and what you are deriving or learning /gaining matters.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by OyinWorkersHub(f): 8:36am On Jan 15, 2019
Absolutely.

You obviously sound more excited at the prospect of being on your own.

I say go for it.

Besides, if it doesn't work out you can always get another job. See this as an experiment to learn more and discover your potential.

Cheers
Re: Is It Right To Quit A Job You Dont Love.. Please Help by scholachatcopyw(f): 4:21pm On Jan 15, 2019

I couldn't agree more with your post

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Get Millions Of Naira Worth Of Grants / Onome Maureen Defraud Us In The Name Of Oil And Gas Investment Beware / Chartered Stockbroker Or Chartered Accountant Which Is Better

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.