Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,123 members, 7,900,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 02:10 AM

Jamb Vs Applicants;unfair Distribution Of Admission - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Jamb Vs Applicants;unfair Distribution Of Admission (802 Views)

Result Controversy: ‘It’s Unfair, Not My Fault’, Mmesoma Says On JAMB 3-Year Ban / JAMB Vs Ejikeme Mmesoma: Compare These Two Results / Primary 3 Exam Question About Buhari & Jonathan: Unfair or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jamb Vs Applicants;unfair Distribution Of Admission by nkabee: 11:15pm On Jan 15, 2018
A Better Nigeria
'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere' - Martin Luther King Jr.
#justiceforabiodun

When you want to make a call, you don't start running helter-skelter, you don't start praying to a supreme being, you don't worry about the call not going through. Why? Because once you're not in an area out of coverage and you have airtime, there's no reason your call will not go through except there's another reason on the other side (like switching off), and the phone duly tells you that. Seamless! That is how several things are in orderly societies, seamless. But in my country? We are in a country of immense, harrowing and dignified backwardness, a country where things don't work. There are several burning issues presently in the national discourse, from innocent killings to appointment of dead peoples, but here is another that we need to attend to and it is tied to our very own future: Tertiary Institutions Admissions. Our backwardness have filtered into the educational sector like it has filtered into every sector of our country. We have situations where qualified applicants are denied the competitive courses, or outrightly denied admission, and unqualified applicants with 'connection' gains admission. This things happen across the country, across our tertiary institutions. Below is a fantastically absurd case, and further below is our recommendations and long-term solution.

Adeyemi Ahmed Abiodun is a 19-year old Nigerian. He wants to read Medicine. After having made is O'level beforehand, he registered for the 2017/18 JAMB and he chose Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria as his first-choice institution. He took the exam and came out in flying colours, 305/400. He took on the hurdle of post utme, he came out in flying colours, 283/400. The summation gives him an aggregate of 294. Exceptional! Photos attached.

The Admission time rolls in...
The first 'list' was released on 7th December, 2017. Abiodun was not offered admission. The second 'list' was released on 25th December, 2017. Abiodun was not offered admission. The third and last 'list', was released on 6th January, 2018. Abiodun has been denied admission. It is worthy to note that, the 'lists' were not list in the true sense of the word as the school never published any list detailing admissions. You smell something awkward?
The cutoff marks were never revealed but the aggregate cutoff mark is believed to be between 240-260. Abiodun says he has seen candidates with far less aggregates compared to his, given Medicine. Abiodun says he knows four other people who, although have lesser qualifications, deserve less competitive courses than the one they applied for. There might be others too. Abiodun will love an independent inquiry.

We cannot allow another subverted trajectory, another quashed dream. No! Not in 2018. This injustice can not be swept under the carpet. In our comprehensive study, we found out Abiodun merits an Undergraduate Medicine admission. We want Abiodun's story to reverberate across the whole country. And you can help with that. Yes, you! Share this post. Write your own opinions and make your own expressions using this hashtag, #justiceforabiodun. We want #justiceforabiodun. In his words, Ahmed says, 'If not for anything else, I want this for my mother who is in a huge despair over this. I can't even tell her the third and final list has been released, I cannot'. We will be counting on you...

Looking ahead, on the long-term solution to prevent reoccurrence of this sort, there seems to be only one way: #automatetertiaryadmissions We are in 2018, we need to move forward. Jamb worked on and implemented a central automated system last year, but just as Ahmed's case has pointed out, it is not effective. Using ABU as a case study, it was used in the first list and it seemed to it seems the school wrested control away from JAMB and it wasn't used in the subsequent lists. Picking from the scenario that was painted at the beginning of this piece, what we need is a seamless system and that can only be achieved via automation. An automated admission system wherein all requirements and specifications, - O'level, Utme, Direct entry points, Post Utme - for every course will be keyed into the system. And when it's time for admissions, the best applicants will be selected based on the basic quota of 45% Merit, 35% Catchment area and 20% Educationally less developed states (ELDSs) by the automated system, devoid of human interference. *This basic quota should be subjected to review.

Year after year, a big percentage of applicants who merit admission are denied admission in place of less qualified and in some cases, unqualified applications. Indeed, that's one of the reasons we are churning out half-baked graduates. All in all, our Education sector needs an holistic reform. Only that way are we going to truly develop.

Re: Jamb Vs Applicants;unfair Distribution Of Admission by NLProblemChild(m): 11:27pm On Jan 15, 2018
I checked the course and I'm not disappointed..
Re: Jamb Vs Applicants;unfair Distribution Of Admission by Dackrapper(m): 11:43pm On Jan 15, 2018
My friend also scored 245 in jamb,applied the same course in that same ABU but he ended up getting admission in Forestry and Wildlife,now he is still contemplating.
Re: Jamb Vs Applicants;unfair Distribution Of Admission by Quace(m): 7:47am On Jan 16, 2018
suffered similar fate from unilorin
Re: Jamb Vs Applicants;unfair Distribution Of Admission by broadally2(m): 8:05am On Jan 16, 2018
Way too bad, I must say.
Re: Jamb Vs Applicants;unfair Distribution Of Admission by nkabee: 10:25am On Jan 16, 2018
over thousands of hope has been suffocated, mother's hope has drown because of this bad system....
Re: Jamb Vs Applicants;unfair Distribution Of Admission by nkabee: 10:26am On Jan 16, 2018
we all need to do something.....to change this system.
Re: Jamb Vs Applicants;unfair Distribution Of Admission by Dove1998(m): 12:42pm On Jan 16, 2018
What a country...
If you don't have money there is no education for You, jamb is clearly seen as a medium in which excess fund is generated to the government for embezzlement,
That's why they wont mind to sell over two million forms to candidates knowing quite well that there is under 600 thousand admissions available in the tertiary institutions.
This corrupt individuals fighting corruption has exploited the poor masses a lot .
2019 is another year of critical decision making
Will you let yourself be subdued again
The administrators of various tertiary institutions in Nigeria are products of corruption, the exchange admission for money, if you like score 400 over 400 if you got no money, no admission..
JAMB has no value since it does determine admission, JAMB is just a board for an extortion and exploitation of the masses

Nigerians it is time to know the truth and wake up

1 Like

Re: Jamb Vs Applicants;unfair Distribution Of Admission by aerozac(m): 2:54pm On Jan 16, 2018
Its so unfair, my brother too with an average of 282 was not offered anything in the same school
Re: Jamb Vs Applicants;unfair Distribution Of Admission by OneKinGuy(m): 3:04pm On Jan 16, 2018
Nigeria is a shithole country (Donald Trump J.)
Re: Jamb Vs Applicants;unfair Distribution Of Admission by otokx(m): 8:21pm On Jan 16, 2018
Goodluck
Re: Jamb Vs Applicants;unfair Distribution Of Admission by Jollyakat(m): 12:18am On Jan 17, 2018
Naija which way nah.. Likewise futa too. my sister scored 269 in jamb and 60% in putme, 63.35% as aggregate, still no admission was offered and I've seen 58.50% offered the same course despite both coming from the same state

(1) (Reply)

Intra-africa Academic Mobility Scheme (ACADEMY SCHOLARSHIP) 2018/2019 / How To Apply For 2018 NDDC Foreign Scholarships For Nigerians / How Can We Prove That 0/0 = 2?(sometimes Maths Has Varied Answers Y?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.