Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,281 members, 7,977,854 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 02:22 PM

Nigeria’s Unity Threatened Without Continuous Negotiations – Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Unity Threatened Without Continuous Negotiations – Obasanjo (1152 Views)

Obasanjo: I Will Fight For Nigeria’s Unity Till I Die / Femi Fani-Kayode: ‘Fulanis Are The Greatest Danger To Nigeria's Unity’ / Anybody That Jokes With Nigeria's Unity Has A Problem With Us - President Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Unity Threatened Without Continuous Negotiations – Obasanjo by pna1411(m): 8:42pm On Jan 19, 2018
By Joseph Erunke

ABUJA – THE FORMER President Olusegun Obasanjo, Friday, warned that Nigeria risks division without renegotiating how it wants to move ahead as one united entity.

The ex-president insisted that the country must continue to renegotiate its unity and give listening ear to the complaints of all ethnic groups in the country.

Doing this, according to Obasanjo, will give the country’s various ethnic nationalities a sense of belonging thus enhancing their effective participation in its socio-economic discussions and national development.

The former Nigerian leader, who spoke at the 7th convocation lecture of the National Open University of Nigeria, NOUN, in Abuja, said he believed that such periodic discussions will provide opportunity for all stakeholders to ventilate their views, grievances and possibly provide superior arguments, solutions or ideas that could positively challenge the existing practices.

Also speaking at the event, the guest lecturer and Vice Chancellor, Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State, Prof. Eghosa Osaghe,whose lecture theme was on: “Restructuring and True Federalism: Nigeria in Perspective”, said the country had come of age to reshape itself in line with modern day reality, insisting that it can no longer shy away from addressing the growing call for restructuring in some quarters.

According to him, the existing federal system of government practiced in Nigeria needed additional deliberate arrangements that require intricate deals, trade-offs and reciprocities to build and sustain.

Hear him:”Secondly, the federal systems are delicate and difficult to manage. This was because their success cannot be guaranteed or taken for granted. Research confirmed that the number of failed federal systems outnumbered the successful ones.

“Restructuring represents a continuous correction, adjustment, and reconfiguration process by which federal system works and reworks its instrumentalities; to guarantee success and efficiencies of federalism.”

He insisted that the federal instrumentalities of governance are expected to respond to changing dynamics, demands and stimuli, which change in consonance with changing imperatives.

Meanwhile, NOUN Vice Chancellor, Prof. Abdalla Uba Adamu, congratulated the erstwhile President and other graduands for the successful completion of their academic programmes and urged them to serve as good ambassadors of the school.

The VC was particularly impressed that Obasanjo, after serving as military and civilian head of state, enrolled and diligently completed doctorate degree programme in spite of his busy schedules.

“It was an indication that no one is too old to pursue education and knowledge. It is also an encouragement for others to disregard and trash the idea of age, challenges and diligently pursue education for self-improvement.

NOUN Registrar, Felix Edoka, however announced that Obasanjo, and 14, 771 other graduands including two prison inmates from Enugu prison, have been found worthy in character and learning to be awarded first and doctorate degrees at the 7th NOUN convocation ceremony scheduled to hold on Saturday.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/01/nigerias-unity-threatened-without-continuous-negotiations-obasanjo/

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Threatened Without Continuous Negotiations – Obasanjo by Homeboiy: 8:45pm On Jan 19, 2018
We know
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Threatened Without Continuous Negotiations – Obasanjo by yang(m): 9:00pm On Jan 19, 2018
The chief Baboon has come out to tell animals that the zoo called Nigeria has fallen.

Rubbish

Divide this zoo now

May God destroy all the people who killed Biafrans in cold blood in Onitsha, Aba, Ph for protesting peacefully

They and their children shalle never know peace

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Threatened Without Continuous Negotiations – Obasanjo by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jan 19, 2018
mtchew
acting like they care about we Nigerians, all they care about is just their families.
bunch of selfish socald leaders

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Threatened Without Continuous Negotiations – Obasanjo by magoo10(m): 9:06pm On Jan 19, 2018
Nigerians are only postponing the evil day

You cannot be talking about unity when you share a country with animals,barbarians and blood suckers who see others as a conquered people.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Threatened Without Continuous Negotiations – Obasanjo by morbeta(m): 9:20pm On Jan 19, 2018
The end is near. ..let it be on record that Buhari buried Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Threatened Without Continuous Negotiations – Obasanjo by PMBmustGo2019: 9:21pm On Jan 19, 2018
#PMBmustgo2019
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Threatened Without Continuous Negotiations – Obasanjo by powerkey: 9:30pm On Jan 19, 2018
See this man, you just dey wake up?
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Threatened Without Continuous Negotiations – Obasanjo by SIRmanjar(m): 9:36pm On Jan 19, 2018
I agree with you BABA..But you are among those generals that said the unity of nigeria can not be negotiated.
First apologize to nigerianz for making that evil statement.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Threatened Without Continuous Negotiations – Obasanjo by Alexgeneration(m): 9:50pm On Jan 19, 2018
This Niggah is one of the architects of this shithole

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Unity Threatened Without Continuous Negotiations – Obasanjo by Cekpo34(m): 1:51am On Jan 20, 2018
How many ethnic groups did Baba listen to? Fought the militants, descended on MASSOB, made mockery of the 2005 confab he convened and failed to look into the legendary recommendations from PRONACO... I would have taken this serious if it came from another elder statesman!
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Threatened Without Continuous Negotiations – Obasanjo by eunisam: 2:50am On Jan 20, 2018
when obasanjo was elected president in 1999, I had so much hope that he will transform Nigeria to Germany,having come out from prison I thought he will feel the pains of the masses,I was disappointed big time after his first tenure. since religion is the opium of the mass,I had to believe it is only God that can save Nigeria .
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Threatened Without Continuous Negotiations – Obasanjo by stonemasonn: 3:52am On Jan 20, 2018
eunisam:
when obasanjo was elected president in 1999, I had so much hope that he will transform Nigeria to Germany,having come out from prison I thought he will feel the pains of the masses,I was disappointed big time after his first tenure. since religion is the opium of the mass,I had to believe it is only God that can save Nigeria .
Transform ko Transfer Nigeria to Germany ni.
Re: Nigeria’s Unity Threatened Without Continuous Negotiations – Obasanjo by tellmemore15: 3:46pm On Jan 20, 2018
It baffles me the way people claim ignorance to the issues of Nigeria especially elder statesmen like OBJ. I as a youth already saw the failure of a Buhari led administration long before the 2015 elections and we sent the warning long before the elections all to no avail.

Am I special or wat?

Back to the topic.
the country called Nigeria is a Mirage and therefore none existent.

the real occupants of the colony would have to go back to the pre independence era and start all over again.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Lawmakers Are Not The Only One Who Sleeps In The Chambers / Believe It Or Not Nnamdi Kanu Said It / Ekiti 2018: Another Apc Rigging Plan Exposed!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.