Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,950 members, 7,890,129 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 09:45 AM

Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? (884 Views)

Nigeria's Tribal And Religious Divides: The Answer To It All. / Western Style Democracy: Really The Answer For Africa? / Can Democracy Work In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by Sunofgod(m): 6:44pm On Apr 14, 2010
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by sjeezy8: 7:43pm On Apr 14, 2010
the dumbest question ive read on NL by farrrrr.

The way some people think is like Nigeria is the only country in the WORLD with problems with religion, ethnicity or democracy. WAKE UP ITS ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Is Nigeria the only country with tribes, religons or a growing democracy? NO aint shiot peculiar about Naija
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by Sunofgod(m): 7:55pm On Apr 14, 2010
Sjeezy8 - No reference has been made about Nigeria in the question.

Maybe you should try and read the question first before answering!
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by violent(m): 8:38pm On Apr 14, 2010
How does Ethnicity and Religion affect democracy?

Democracy is a government of the people by the people, it has no direct tandem with where i come from or which religion i believe in.
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by Fhemmmy: 8:55pm On Apr 14, 2010
Under normal circumstances, it can, but Nija is just not normal
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by Sunofgod(m): 9:02pm On Apr 14, 2010
Violent - Democracy is a government of the people by the people, it has no direct tandem with where i come from or which religion i believe in.

I agree that this is how democracy SHOULD work. But does this happen in reality in 'Tribal and Religious Societies?

Fhemmy - Under normal circumstances, it can, but Nija is just not normal

Are you therefore infering democracy cannot work in Naija?
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by violent(m): 9:07pm On Apr 14, 2010
why don't we start by checking out how Tribe and Ethnicity has affected Democracy

How does being a Christian and Yoruba affect the democratic government? what effect will it have if it were a military regime?
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by dellnet: 9:50pm On Apr 14, 2010
sometimes we forget where we are coming from and where we are going to. Yes in South East Asia there are countries as such like Nigeria with not only tirbal and religious diversity but race diversity and surely democracy is at its definition by the books of law.
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by dellnet: 9:51pm On Apr 14, 2010
oh yeah forgot to mention south america.
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by Sunofgod(m): 9:53pm On Apr 14, 2010
Can you list a few names of these countries that are apparently similar in nature to Nigeria?

Thanks,
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by dellnet: 9:58pm On Apr 14, 2010
Malaysia, Brasil, Venezuela, Columbia is what I can present for now without research. places in panama are diverse. just do some research you will find more.
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by Sunofgod(m): 10:11pm On Apr 14, 2010
I thought as much - You dont know what your talking about!

Why not also add Thailand, Canada and Russia.

Charlatan,
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by dellnet: 10:16pm On Apr 14, 2010
well men you can suck on it
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by dellnet: 10:29pm On Apr 14, 2010
Dont start someting you can't finish. You are completely showing sign of illiteracy. another poster has asked you to define tribal and ethnicity in relation to democracy. You could not, start off from there first and see where you end up. Well just do your homework first before you post in here. Dont think you are dealing with illiterates here. One of the key factors in democracy is majority and minority.
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by Sunofgod(m): 10:32pm On Apr 14, 2010
You are completely showing sign of illiteracy - cheesy

And i'm the illiterate!

No problem - Charlatan.
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by dellnet: 10:34pm On Apr 14, 2010
come to think about it are you talking about diversity or just a single tribe and religion?
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by Sunofgod(m): 10:37pm On Apr 14, 2010
Read the question - Your there firing off answers (Ignorance)
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by dellnet: 10:58pm On Apr 14, 2010
I rest my case with you. easy to grab you by the balls.
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:33pm On Apr 14, 2010
Yes, the Igbo (at least, pre-colonial Igbo) are a case in point. They had a peculiar republic/democratic thing going on, while still being very tribal and religious.
Re: Can Democracy Really Work In A 'Tribal And Religious' Society? by Sunofgod(m): 7:13pm On Apr 17, 2010

(1) (Reply)

Zoning: You’re Joking, Acf Tells Nwodo / Ki Ni To Ye Ki Yoruba Se Ni Yi / Prayer For Nigeria - Drop Your Line

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.