Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,593 members, 7,934,765 topics. Date: Thursday, 29 August 2024 at 01:07 PM

The Concept Of Choice!!! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Concept Of Choice!!! (918 Views)

What Do You Do Understand About The Concept Of This Staircase? / Baba Lori Iro, Iro Po And The Concept Of Originality You Are My Rodo!!! / The Concept Of Relationships: Friendship, Dating, Courtship And Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Concept Of Choice!!! by NiggaBoi(m): 8:08pm On Jan 23, 2018
CHOICES
Our life is a total product of the chances we take and the choices we make --- Ola (2018)
Using what goes on in a boarding school as a perfect example: the usual chain of command and use of power by the senior ones over the junior ones and the strong preying on the weak, I believe that there can be a change to the narrative if everyone could be made to see beyond the ordinary surface.
Not everyone is born bad, the experiences of the past play a major role in determining the response a person will give to present circumstances. A student that was preyed upon in his junior years would in turn respond to the experiences gained and be the kind of senior that preyed upon him, trying to find a balance in his soul.
When a person undergoes a tough experience on his journey to an higher ground that would afford him to be in control of such a tough experience, with another person at the whims end, he's left with the choices of continuing the cycle of torture or bringing the change that would lay the foundation for seeing a new set trend of peace and tranquility. There now comes the battle in his mind about which of the options set before him to take.
The reason why we humans are higher than the animals is because we possess a functional brain and a sophisticated mind that does all the decision making for us. The most interesting thing about the human mind is the ability for it to be trained and configured just exactly the way we want it to be. We can always be the change we want despite the enticing antics of continuing the cycle of what used to be the norm. The maltreated junior ones today can rise up to be the loving seniors tomorrow, thereby eliminating the cycle of hardship, replacing it with love.
This can also be applied to every aspects of our daily lives. Anywhere we are receiving hurt instead of love, we have the choice to train our mind to give out love. To many people, it might not be an easy thing to achieve, but I can testify that it is very achievable. The first step is the realization of the fact that we always have a CHOICE.

My name is Olaoluwa Oyeniran. I'm a Philosopher and Public Speaker.
Contact details are:
laolord4ever@yahoo.com

You can help to spread the reach of this message by forwarding to your contacts and groups. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of Choice!!! by NiggaBoi(m): 8:10pm On Jan 23, 2018
Please the mods should help me push this to front page where it gets more publicity. Thanks a lot.
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Fynestboi
Seun
Re: The Concept Of Choice!!! by MissWrite(f): 10:24pm On Jan 23, 2018
Nice article smiley. But what is the extent of the virtue of choice? I don't believe that choices are made in isolation of who we are. They aren't made in a vacuum. Even though, you have said that the ability to choose is our saving grace as humans to rise above the perpetuation of negativity, I think that the choices we make are ultimately a reflection of our natures. It is not choice, but character and values that are the key factor here. Two people exposed to the same stimuli, with the same opportunity and time to make a decision, may react to it differently. And by their reaction, we judge their character.

Choice is not independent; it's slave to who we are (through nature and nurture), as individuals or society, at the point of choosing. As individuals, human beings are selfish, so without some external influence, we will choose selfishly - reflecting what we know, what we value and what would bring us the most amount of satisfaction or peace of mind.

But when an external influence is introduced (like the law, for instance, or religion) our choice will be a reflection of our values as well as the magnitude of our fear of consequence. For example, if I choose not to kill a man because I have empathy and cannot bear to hurt a person; then, whether it is lawful to kill or not, I would not be a killer. But if I choose not to kill a man because it is "wrong" to do so according to the bible or the law; and because killing a man would result in my incarceration or condemnation to hell, then I might have the potential to kill a man, but my fear of consequence restricts me. This is how an individual's choices are limited to protect society. Of course, you won't feel caged because you still have the choice to do what you want; but if you cannot escape the consequence, how free to choose were you really? In that context, is it just an illusion?

Anyway, choice can be trusted for the general good, just as long as there are the right values to guide it. Good values are a necessary bias. Without that, choice is nothing more than a rolling dice. A moment of uncertainty which has the potential to result good or bad. And while it is comforting to know that we aren't set in stone, and have the opportunity to change by exercising limited/unlimited choice, we still have to be very wary of it. Just as one would be of a double edged sword.

3 Likes

Re: The Concept Of Choice!!! by LordKO(m): 6:42am On Jan 24, 2018
Choice is a simple but powerful word. However, choice doesn't mean absence of conscientiousness - just as freedom of speech doesn't mean absence of decorum.

The importance of conscientiousness can never be overemphasized. As far as I'm concerned it's the main attribute that makes human being a higher animal - any unconscientious person out there isn't literally better than the lower animals. So also one who need an external influence (like religion, presence of people, love or any form of sentiment) to do good isn't better than the lower animals. . . Choice isn't an illusion.

In fact, our country for instance is a "shithole," it seems to be because 99 percent of its leaders in particular and the masses at large are unconscientious. . . Expediency reigns supreme over principle. Too bad.

Kudos OP. . . There's always room for improvement.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Concept Of Choice!!! by DonOms(m): 7:31am On Jan 24, 2018
The very concept of choice has been grossly misunderstood by many in today's society, and it is in this light that I applaud the OP's last statement: The first step is the realization of the fact that we always have a CHOICE.

As MissWrite stated, our choices are very much products of nature and nurture.
As for nature, well, only little can be done to change the impact it has on the choices we make, save those who have attained self-realisation and are able to tap into their subconscious. As for nurture, that's where the problem really lies. Our society, environment and traditions have led to the domestication of our people into the erroneous conditioning that our choices are limited - either by our collective past experiences or by the baton-wielding sentimental judge cum executor called society. This, of course is the reason a maltreated junior maltreat another junior when he becomes a senior. Suffice to say, that junior doesn't know any better but is limited to that choice he made because he isn't self-aware.

We do of course always have a choice. So when I hear people say, "I had no choice then to do this or that," all I actually hear them say is "I do not really know myself so I let something else decide for me." It's at this point I'll borrow the words of LordKO - who I have quietly followed on this forum for a while, that in this matter of choices, "The importance of conscientiousness can never be overemphasized." So it goes without saying that Socrates' words resonates still: "Man, know thyself."

While I do not believe the power to choose is one of illusion, unlike with 'free will' where I sit on the fence, I think we must train ourselves and others to be fully conscientious and to be aware of the full consequences of every choice we make while letting oneself and not influences such as society, vengeance, selfishness or greed dictate for us. That way, we will not be full of regrets in the end of our lives even after we may have grown some conscience in some future time.

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of Choice!!! by odaniel1(m): 9:09am On Jan 24, 2018
Value systems and ideologies are not established overnight. More often than not, 'CHOICE' comes before the existence of 'CREED'.
''..you must choose what to believe first..''

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of Choice!!! by NiggaBoi(m): 7:32pm On Feb 01, 2018
Please the mods should give this post more publicity. It's one of the intelligent conversations that are really worthy of gracing Front-page on Nairaland.
CC Seun
Mynd44
Lalasticlala
FynestBoi

(1) (Reply)

Redefining Everyone's Roles And Duties In A Successful Marriage / Genotype In Place Of Love In Marriage / You Arrived Home After Work To Meet This. What Would You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.