Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,967 members, 7,946,180 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 01:59 PM

What Can Jay-z And Beyoncé Teach Us About Corporate Accountability? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / What Can Jay-z And Beyoncé Teach Us About Corporate Accountability? (385 Views)

Kanye West Performs Gospel Remix "Brown Skin Girl" By Wizkid And Beyoncé / Take A Proper Look At This Couple Jayz And Beyoncé / Jay Z And Beyoncé Car Collection & Net Worth Of The Most Powerful Couple Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Can Jay-z And Beyoncé Teach Us About Corporate Accountability? by BusinessAmLIVE(f): 6:46pm On Jan 24, 2018
It’s probably best to start with an example from ordinary moral life. Consider the kind of promise that I imagine the musician Jay-Z entered into with Beyoncé when they got married. I take it that part of that marriage arrangement was a promise by Jay-Z to be faithful to Beyoncé. We think in our ordinary moral lives that one has a duty to keep the promises that one makes.

If Jay-Z makes such a promise, then he has a duty to keep it. He has a duty to be faithful to Beyoncé. If he breaks that duty, then he does wrong. That duty is a directed duty, which means it’s not just the case that he must keep his promise; he owes it to someone in particular. What is more, if he breaks that promise, then he doesn’t just do wrong, but he also wrongs someone in particular. He wrongs Beyoncé.

Directed duties are not things that we ordinarily talk about. That’s a term of art. But we do talk about owing it to each other to do certain things, and we do talk about wronging each other. We also talk about rights. Rights and directed duties are importantly connected. If you buy Beyoncé’s latest album, which I can recommend to you because it’s very good, then you have a right to listen to that album.

I shouldn’t interfere with that right. I have a duty not to interfere with your right. I don’t just do wrong if I violate that duty, but I wrong you in particular. So, directed duties have this relational aspect to them. The philosophical puzzle is: Why do we think duties have that aspect?

www.businessamlive.com ( source )

(1) (Reply)

Marvin Sapp Announces New Book “re-creation” / Sheyi Shay Makes Acting Debut In “lara And The Beat” / Man Passes Driving Test At Old Age, So He Can Drive Wife To Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.