Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,205 members, 7,963,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 11:42 PM

Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription (23222 Views)

New Naira Notes Ready September Ending – CBN / New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? / The New Naira Coins And Polymer Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by kaynoJah(m): 12:24pm On Mar 11, 2007
Woodworks are for carpentars. Metalworks are for the welders. Government policies are for government officials. Whatever that came out of the new Naira notes must have been duly perused and scrutinised by authorized agency(ies). The composition of that agency, I believe, was not selected only from one section of our country. Abi don't we have an Hausa Muslim as a Director at CBN who must have been privy to all these?
However, the Sultan (and others of course!) has the right like every other Nigerian, to express his views on any matter of national interest. I do not think his views were made in bad fate. Arabic inscriptions were in the old notes. Now, they are no longer there. He asks a question. The relevant authority should be able to explain to him afterall, other significant features of the new notes were lifted from the old Naira notes save for the inscription in contest, and a few others.
I suppose there should be a reason for this which The Sultan needs. Let this thread not digress too far so it doesn't degenerate.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by anizzle(m): 12:51pm On Mar 11, 2007
seun, i guess you should activate the poll.
lets be the senate on this issue
all dis blabs and counterblabs will do nothing
so mr osewa, shoooooot it on
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Blow(m): 1:12pm On Mar 11, 2007
Issues like this make my confidence in
the state of Nigeria to be shaky

I have spent the old naira note
with the Arabic inscription on it
for so many years and never
raised too much eyebrow about it.

So what is wrong with this so called leaders.
I doubt if our thought pattern with this
people can be same.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by egoldman(m): 2:02pm On Mar 11, 2007
ok people ,i think the sultan is a rather sensible man ,the fact that he asked question about why it was removed is not a bad thing ,i was actually angry when i read that he demanded that it be restored ,so from the following article it seems that the sultan is a wise man after all .
however its some university don for that matter despite his educational background that is trying to make trouble now ,read full details below and mark the words in red ,they are where its said that the sultan had accepted the explanations given by soludo ;

The removal of Arabic inscriptions on the new Naira notes to be introduced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), next week has been described as a subtle declaration of war against Islam and Muslims in the country.

The director, Muslims Rights Concern (MURIC), Dr. Lakin Akintola, made this known in an exclusive interview with Saturday Independent during the week.

He said that there was no reason for the apex bank to remove the Arabic inscriptions as majority of Muslims in the country are in tune with the wordings.

"Why would the Central Bank remove the inscriptions? To me it is a direct attack on the Muslim community in the country and a manifestation of ignorance on the part of those at the helm of affairs at the CBN.

"While Arabic is a language well understood by majority of Nigerians and well spoken by an ethnic group, English is also well understood by majority of Christians. So why would they remove the Arabic inscriptions? It is as if they are waging a war against Islam and Muslims",he said.

Akintola, a university don, said that the inscriptions were meant for a particular set of people and should have been retained on the new notes if the interest of those people were considered strong enough.

But when reminded that the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar, who is also the traditional head of Muslims in the country had accepted the explanation offered by the CBN Governor, Professor Charles Soludo, on why the inscriptions had to be removed, Akintola said the Sultan was not an Islamic scholar.

"The Sultan was a military man, a general in the Nigeria Army, he is not an Islamic scholar and that is why we have been saying that his traditional position should be separated from the religious one. He cannot be overall head of Muslims in this country. The earlier that is corrected, the better. He is a traditional ruler in Sokoto State and should remain so. It is like asking a butcher to come and perform a surgical operation.

"Despite the fact that the two of them will hold a knife, they are not in the same category. Or when you ask a Carpenter to fly a plane, you will know that you are courting disaster", Akintola said.

The CBN will on February 28 introduce new naira notes in the denomination of N5, N10, N20 and N50.

Coins of One Naira, Two Naira and Five Naira will also be introduced.

But the new naira notes will not carry Arabic inscriptions as the old notes.

To properly carry Muslims along, Soludo paid a courtesy visit to the Sultan to explain the rationale behind the decision to remove the inscriptions.

sources http://www.independentngonline.com/news/181/ARTICLE/21510/2007-02-24.html
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Nobody: 2:31pm On Mar 11, 2007
egoldman:

"While Arabic is a language well understood by majority of Nigerians and well spoken by an ethnic group, English is also well understood by majority of Christians. So why would they remove the Arabic inscriptions? It is as if they are waging a war against Islam and Muslims",he said.

Sometimes the outright lies and inaccuracies peddled by these type of "scholars" makes you wonder about the quality of nigerian education.

Where are the "majority of Nigerians" who speak and understand arabic?
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by LoverBwoy(m): 2:41pm On Mar 11, 2007
I said the igbos and niger Delta should be on their own. meaning, each have their own country. Who wants to be with an Igbo man? They will steal ALLLLLLLLLLLLL the oil money which is about to DRY up.

I said the igbos and niger Delta should be on their own. meaning, each have their own country. Who wants to be with an Igbo man? They will steal ALLLLLLLLLLLLL the oil money which is about to DRY up.

shocked shocked lmao i thought the hausas were they bad guys lol nigerians sha, seems we dont really know who to blame for our problems cheesy
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by dennylove(m): 3:13pm On Mar 11, 2007
loverbwoy,na waoooooooo,am sick and tired of this country,

HAUSAS; causes problems and alway want to be president grin grin grin

YORUBA: brings the blames and still play along shocked shocked shocked

IGBOS: they are good in tricks playing and embezzlement of money cheesy cheesy tongue embarassed

make una tell us WHICH WAY FORWARD? embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by DrDre1(m): 6:28pm On Mar 11, 2007
Na wa for this our country Nigeria o. There never seems to be an end to the madness in this country. Why would anybody want to start causing trouble over the removal of arabic inscriptions on the naira? These so called leaders that are complianing should spend their time doing something more reasonable for their people instead of trying to cause wahala.

I would have said that we should send all these people back to school so that they can be taught that we gained independence from Britain and not Saudi Arabia; but in a situation were the MSS (Northern state chapter) and a whole University don are also part of this unthinkable and unholy clamour, I'm embarrassed and speechless for them all embarassed lipsrsealed . The University don is even speaking against the Sultan on the issue. What nonsense and confusion amongst them!!! Soludo even gave them unneccessary attention with that visit. Do we need to take permission from them before we decide whether to remove those inscriptions or not? Before we know it now, they will want a foreign Islamic king to come and vet things in Nigeria.

I say it without apologies that the removal of those inscriptions on the notes is a great deliverance for the Naira. I just pray that this thing doesn't escalate beyond this their comments. Everyone should be at alert most especially strangers in the North. I pray this won't be another excuse for them to start another war. The Danish cartoons that was not our business made some mad ones out of them (that didn't see them not to talk of being able to understand them) to start killing people. It was because everyone was relaxed about the matter in Borno state and didn't feel it will have any effect that made strangers there caught unawares. The utterances of their so called leaders started the whole mess in a way. This naira one should not be taken unseriously.

Needeeg and Nuru, as much as I respect your views and opinion on this matter, I would advice that your posts be devoid of religion or ethnic bias. Try and put yourselves on the other side of the coin. I'm pretty sure that if when Nigeria got its independence and was about to change its currency from the pound, the contributions of the early missionaries that suffered and died to build hospitals and schools for people at that time was considered and it was decided that any of the languages that represents christianity was inscribed on the notes, they would have been removed before now. Most muslims/northerners would have fought against it. So please, stop giving us lame excuses why the inscriptions should remain there. As a matter of fact, if I had the powers, I would have the inscriptions removed from all the Naira notes. Anybody that doesn't like that should go and produce his/her own.

These people that started the complain sef, only God knows how much naira they have o and they are still complaining. They all like the money and are shouting on what is written on it. Even Needeeg sef has money!!! as his signature shocked grin. People should not be coming to this forum to insult our intelligence o. Just imagine if Seun requires everyone in the forum to put his/her picture and address during registration, I'm sure people will not just come here and be posting yeye things. If not you will just see someone walking on the street and before you know it, someone will just run towards him/her and service his/her face with a dirty slap grin. Therefore, it is not enough that you just type with your fingers alone, engaged your brain too!!!
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by SamMilla1(m): 6:43pm On Mar 11, 2007
IU never really gave a thought to the meanings of the arabic inscriptions on the naira notes. Now that it has become a topic here and could possibly cause a religious war, i want to know what it has been doing there all along.Of what benefit is the inscriptions to the Hausas or the Moslems ? .They must understand that Nigeria is not Iran and That We are ready to face them.I wonder why their Leaders are brainwashing them into believeing stupid things.i THINK THE BRITISH Government intentionally confused us by calling over 250 tribes one nation.We will wake up soon.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by otuonye(m): 8:00pm On Mar 11, 2007
Abeg, I am on the same position with Chuka2003. In fact, mine is worse: I have a bank account with UBA. In case, you have enough money or are tired spending the moneybecause it has no Arabic inscriptions, please take my phone number and call me, so that I can give you my Account number, where you can dump the shit.

I will be glad to be of help disposing the rubbish for you!

God bless you if you are this patriotic!

Biko, for someone to be a nigerian, o bughi by force. O buru na i choghi the money, nyem the money, O Chinonso na - ekwu.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by fadal(m): 9:44pm On Mar 11, 2007
[s]now wait you people talking about nigeria is not a muslim state nigeria always been an muslim state most of the nigerian president president were muslim so stop talking shit about haussa.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by sukiyaki(f): 9:47pm On Mar 11, 2007
absolute nonsense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by NINETOFIVE(m): 10:05pm On Mar 11, 2007
fadal:

[s]now wait you people talking about nigeria is not a muslim state nigeria always been an muslim state most of the nigerian president president were muslim so stop talking shit about haussa.

I don't know if this can get any lower, this is border line stupidity.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by zigbo(f): 10:20pm On Mar 11, 2007
@fadal dont be silly u can put a cat in the oven but that doesnt make it a pastry? i hope u wil be smart enuf to understand that, sayin nigeria is a muslim state is def. not smart.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by TAOTAO(m): 11:05pm On Mar 11, 2007
people u should learn not use abusive words especially when it comes to a matter of religion on the issue on ground cos that might really cause something those that iniatiate it will not be able to handle.good nigeria is not a muslim country butb that does not give anybody the go ahead to codemn anybody's religion.

t boy
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by uyai(f): 11:23pm On Mar 11, 2007
@ Dennylove, My point exactly i don't know why urchtacy is excercising his or her fingers.

The fact still remains that the country is being funded by the so called minorities as you said. I don't know where u lived but the minute u step out of that country u are third class citizen, no one cares if u are a majority in Nigeria Ok
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by romeo(m): 11:26pm On Mar 11, 2007
ay ay ay ay cry cry cry cry
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by NiteAngel(m): 11:48pm On Mar 11, 2007
I grumbled about the reason behind the inscription for years. I hope some dumb governors will not reverse this when power changes hands. I was thrilled by the use of the 3 major languages; that in my opinion fosters unity.

Fadal, you need to learn how to contribute to public discourse. At your age you need to step aside to pick up some manners. Wallahi, you will need it!
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Nobody: 2:00am On Mar 12, 2007
fadal:

Point of correction! Nigeria has had only 1 president, the uneducated, corrupt thief called Sheu Shagari. All the others have been rogues who came in by the barrel of the gun. Thanks to them (northern illiterates), Nigeria is one of the poorest countries on earth.
If you want live in a muslim state, please dust your passport and head to Niger. To be a Nigerian is not by force!

TAOTAO:

people u should learn not use abusive words especially when it comes to a matter of religion on the issue on ground because that might really cause something those that iniatiate it will not be able to handle.good nigeria is not a muslim country butb that does not give anybody the go ahead to codemn anybody's religion.

t boy
My dear, learn to keep quiet if you will continue to refuse to use your brain to think before typing. We are tired of empty threats from northern muslims telling us that each time we speak out against their retrogressive ideas things will befall us that we will not be able to handle.
I hope you guys have learnt from your Onitsha lesson, do whatever you like that might be the one thing that is needed to wake southerners up from their "one Nigeria" lethargy. The earlier we go our separate ways the better.

The north can move to Chad for all i care. Maybe there you may be able to make sharia ur state religion and inscribe the entire quran on ur monetary notes.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by 9ja4eva: 4:08am On Mar 12, 2007
If they dont like it too bad.We are not a MUSLIM STATE please.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by domwas2(m): 7:34am On Mar 12, 2007
fadal:

I dont know why some people talk shit, Do you remember the people you're refering to all came in through greed and selfishness.
This is how it always starts, from Naira note to general language from general language to worship, from worship to something else-who knows. . .
Remember this is WA ZO BIA not iran or whatever.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by 9ja4eva: 7:36am On Mar 12, 2007
Tell them oh.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by nuru(m): 7:40am On Mar 12, 2007
ALL,

Its true that Nigeria is not a muslim state but the Ajami inscription on the Notes had not dettered anybody from spending the notes when they were introduced. Now that its been removed, the question still remains, what has anybody gained from its removal.

The Nigerian state is a plural society; ethnicity, religiosity and culturally. We always should respect ourselves. From most postings on this thread, that respect which is vital to our successful co-existence is not displayed. If most go on in real life with the kind of attitudes articulated here, the country I am sorry may not progress. Even when we differ on issues, we should have the courtesy and decency of being polite in our contributions. I think everybody should go back to his/her previous posts and see if decency had been applied. We can start achieveing peace and progress through this forum.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by zebra(m): 7:47am On Mar 12, 2007
yoruba muslims are getting me angry. why should yoruba muslims be against the removal of arabic on our naira notes?? they should be careful o!! They are the major problem we have in nigeria; they are neither here nor there; follow follow. If hausas are leading they turn towards them and foolw them; if igbos are leading they pretend to be with them and foolw them, when will you people learn to be on your own?? Simply because Sultan (hausa man) rejected the removal of arabic on our notes, a yoruba muslim (Adegbite) too came out openly to reject it. What of muslims from the south-south?? are they not muslims too?? Why are they not rejecting it?? Or have you forgotten that a good number of muslims are from south-south (Edo state)??
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by zebra(m): 7:52am On Mar 12, 2007
@Nuru
Please nigeria is not an islamic state. i wonder how arabic got into our naira notes sef?? arabic is not the official language in Nigeria, and i thank God for that. i know that you are talking in favour of you religion and not in favour of those hausas that cannot read english language.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Ronke2811(f): 8:59am On Mar 12, 2007
nuru:

ALL,

Its true that Nigeria is not a muslim state but the Ajami inscription on the Notes had not dettered anybody from spending the notes when they were introduced. Now that its been removed, the question still remains, what has anybody gained from its removal.

The Nigerian state is a plural society; ethnicity, religiosity and culturally. We always should respect ourselves. From most postings on this thread, that respect which is vital to our successful co-existence is not displayed. If most go on in real life with the kind of attitudes articulated here, the country I am sorry may not progress. Even when we differ on issues, we should have the courtesy and decency of being polite in our contributions. I think everybody should go back to his/her previous posts and see if decency had been applied. We can start achieveing peace and progress through this forum.
@nuru
of wat importance has the arabic inscription added to the ecomony of nigeria, it has not paid off the world loan we took, neither has it elevates the status of the average man in the nation.
we should be realistic, nigeria was not formed as an islamic nation and i dont see us becoming that in 3000 years to come, all we should be after is the making nigeria a world class nation for our unborn generation instead of spending precious time arguing abt wat can never be reversed.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by bayoom2002: 9:45am On Mar 12, 2007
Infact initially i didn't want to comment on this issue, because it is a non issue in the first place. For God's sake who do they think they are? Of what right do they have to dictate what is on the Naira notes. I thank God for the boldness of the CBN Governor to put a stop to all these nonsense. If they don't want to use it, let them go to hell and burn to ashes and stop disturbing us. Nigeria is not an Islamic state and nobody no matter how highly placed should try to turn this country to one. A word is enough for the wise!
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by nuru(m): 9:51am On Mar 12, 2007
Respect, Respect, Respect
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by DrDre1(m): 10:10am On Mar 12, 2007
nuru:

ALL,

If you are saying that the Ajami inscriptions on the notes didn't hinder anyone from spending them, then their removal is not doing the same too! You are asking what has been gained from its removal? shocked

nuru:

I agree with your opinion but don't you think that all these should extend beyond this forum? If you agree with that, then let me remind you that some people in this country are not like that o. The same people that started this thing. What a coincidence!

I would even prefer that they remove those inscriptions from all the other notes too. Let's see what will happen with that. Maybe when some of them dislike the notes because of that, looting will be reduced grin wink
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Ambber(f): 10:42am On Mar 12, 2007
I think they need to go for an evaluation to determine their psych state. What do we need the inscription 4 in a secular state? Then the xtians should start agitation for hebrew / jewish inscription. arrant nonsense. I wonder when people will be able reason logically without religious bigotory creeping in. The 3 languages are sufficent to represent the diversity we have as a nation
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by otanaworld: 12:06pm On Mar 12, 2007
hey,

if they cant use the notes, they can try trading by barter.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by longest(m): 12:16pm On Mar 12, 2007
any one would remember quite vividly that wole soyinka once mentioned that if you make the 2widths of the old 20 naira touch each other,the logo that you see is that of the arewa flag.there are few liberated muslims that would always say the truth no matter the consequences.you would remember that as soon as sadam hussein was killed,gani was one of the few muslims that said that judgement was right simply beacause the man killed toooooooo many people.just after i read one dr ishak akintola saying that the judgemnet was wrong.i have kuwaiti friends and im soo shocked at how much they hated sadam husein.one married muslim  lady was once cursing him online telling me of how he almost took over their country by force despite all the oil sadam's country has.imm not surprised the sultan sounds fanatical.my only emphasis is that he should see what he could do to terminate poverty and illiteracy in the north because the way this south south people are going, uhm, there would soon be no oil to maintain that caliphate, every body then may have to take his cocoa and groundnuts very seriously

abubakar umar too sounds liberated

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Advice On Photocopying Business In Nigeria / I Have Five Hundred Thousand Naira, 500,000, Please Advise Me On Business To Do / Copyright Case: Davies Iyiegbu Secures Victory In Court Against Globacom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.