Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,316 members, 7,887,964 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:02 PM

50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa (25275 Views)

Lady Bitten To Death By Snake In Abuja As She Sat To Urinate / Bovine Tuberculosis: Abia Commissioner Warns Residents Against Eating Cow Lungs / Young Boy Dies After Being Bitten By Snake In A Primary School In Delta. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by Nobody: 4:10pm On Feb 04, 2018
stefanweeks:

The symptoms exhibited by these people (the cow eaters) are far from those of Mad cow disease.

Read again

Okay, you may be right and I may be wrong as I don't know enough about mad cow disease to make an argument, however, the main point i'm trying to make is that whatever is causing the problem isn't the snake bite or venom from the snake bite
Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by Suko110(m): 4:13pm On Feb 04, 2018
Dongreat:

They didn’t fall ill from the venom, but a high chance of food poisoning caused by bacteria growth in the dead animal. Venom blocks the nicotinic receptor in skeletal muscle causing paralysis, and affect cardiac muscle to cause Cardiac depression, hence when struck by a snake you become paralyzed and died from a drop in heart rate.
The symptoms showed in the patients are classic example of symptoms you get when you feast on decayed meat, uncooked meat, and raw poultry.
Thank you sir more logically explained. Cus I dont c how strong a venom can be, to transfer the venom from a primary host to a secondary one even after heating for minutes.

1 Like

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by stefanweeks: 4:21pm On Feb 04, 2018
trustyshoess:

Okay, you may be right and I may be wrong as I don't know enough about mad cow disease to make an argument, however, the main point i'm trying to make is that whatever is causing the problem isn't the snake bite or venom from the snake bite

You maybe right

But whatever is causing the diarrhea and other illness must be common to them i.e in the preparation of the meat.

Could be water, spices or even the meat itself.
Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by Dongreat(m): 4:22pm On Feb 04, 2018
Suko110:

Thank you sir more logically explained. Cus I dont c how strong a venom can be, to transfer the venom from a primary host to a secondary one even after heating for minutes.

Well I haven’t perform this in the lab but it can probably be possible after few minutes of injecting venom in a host and then performing a blood transfusion into another host; still doubt it will cause a problem (I may try it for fun/science).
Venom in meat, cooked and eaten will literally do nothing to you cause if the heat don’t destroy the venom then the HCL (PH=3) will destroy it. Moereover, soldiers, jungle dwellers eat poisoning snakes.

1 Like

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by fxtree: 4:51pm On Feb 04, 2018
Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by Nobody: 6:43pm On Feb 04, 2018
DavSagacity:

Don't mind them. a lady even quote me and said venom is a modified saliva. Chai!!! I tire Ooooo.
That's what it is mate. Google it
Venom is composed of proteins. When you apply heat to proteins, they denature, and can't carry out normal function anymore as a result. It's basic

1 Like

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by pennywys(m): 7:52pm On Feb 04, 2018
nkwuocha:
Possible ?!

So the heat can't kill the venom or what?!?
animals venoms especially that of a snake is strongly acidic, not just like micro organisms, example bacteria that can be killed by heat
Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by nkwuocha: 8:01pm On Feb 04, 2018
pennywys:
animals venoms especially that of a snake is strongly acidic, not just like micro organisms, example bacteria that can be killed by heat

Oh! That explains it.
Really a double edged sword, snake venom, I must say.

1 Like

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by uckennety(m): 8:03pm On Feb 04, 2018
DavSagacity:

There are different acids and alkaline salts in the human system that act on specific substrate in the body. Ptyalin, an enzyme that is found in the saliva acts on starchy foods and metabolize the maltose to two sugar units. Hydrochloric acid is one of the acids found in the stomach wall ( others are potassium chloride and sodium chloride) walls has specific function they do in the breakdown of food substances. Hydrochloric activates pepsinogen into the enzyme pepsin, which then helps digestion by breaking the bonds linking amino acids, a process known as proteolysis. . likewise gall bladder which contain sodium taurocholate and sodium glycocholates they emusify fats in order to aid the activities of enzymes to break whatever fatty food was eaten. So if a poisoned meat is eaten, the venom first must have passed through the blood vessels, tissues and fibre before reaching the heart.
The implication is that they eat venom indirectly. The stomach acids are not meant to breakdown venoms. it is the liver that carry out deamination function in the body.

So pls don't expect the stomach system to break down venom for you Ooo. Long throat dey kill pass bullet nowadays.
stay safe.!!,

But wait if i may ask!

Is boiled or fried venom still toxic to man?

Please what is the volume of venom did the snake deposit into the cow?

Again how was the cow prepared or processed?
Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by DavSagacity(m): 8:30pm On Feb 04, 2018
uckennety:

But wait if i may ask!

Is boiled or fried venom still toxic to man?

Please what is the volume of venom did the snake deposit into the cow?

Again how was the cow prepared or processed?
Nice questions. Also what was the state or condition of the carcass before they pounce on it and convert it to meat. Did they saw the snake bit the cattle? How sure are they that it was truly a snake bite that killed the animal.

Am not a medical Doctor so I don't know the dosage of venom that will be lethal to human in this condition. Am a Biochemist by training.

1 Like

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by mexzony: 9:10pm On Feb 04, 2018
Campusity:

I think it may be the venom. Venom is chemical (toxins) in nature and not living organism like bacteria or viruses. So there is nothing to "kill" in venom by boiling.

Venom is produced in a snake's silivary gland. So the meat of a poisonous snake is not poisonous, the glands and the fangs (teeth) are. That is why some people would insist the head of a dead poisonous snake is cut off and buried. Its to avoid the poison.
Thanks you for the explanation. Am.not a doctor so I learn everyday too.
But I still think heat will render it useless as it should be broken down.

1 Like

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by Analysiscorner: 10:43pm On Feb 04, 2018
trustyshoess:

Snake venom is merely modified saliva, or a combination of many different proteins and enzymes. Venoms are very different from poison, they're neurotoxins.
The proteins and enymes in venom will have been denatured and therefore lose their potency due to heat during cooking so will pose no danger if present in consumed meat
Exactly. I often wonder why the eagles and the honey barger eat the head of the snake first without the venom affecting them
Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by femmix112(m): 9:06pm On Feb 05, 2018
nkwuocha:
Possible ?!

So the heat can't kill the venom or what?!?

It poison not germs

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Electrocuted While Reconnecting Electricity In Abia (Video) / COVID-19: Union Bank Shuts Branch Over Employee’s Contact With Patient / My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.