Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,016 members, 7,970,121 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 09:06 PM

Video Of Nigeria Killings Prompts Outrage, Arrest Of Officers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Video Of Nigeria Killings Prompts Outrage, Arrest Of Officers (833 Views)

Customs In Massive De-Ranking Of Officers Over Self Promotion / Withdrawal Of Officers From Vips: Police Deploy Men To Airports, Highways To... / Military Burial Of Officers Killed By Boko-Haram & UNAMID Operations (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Video Of Nigeria Killings Prompts Outrage, Arrest Of Officers by Ayemokhia: 5:52am On Apr 19, 2010
Police are shown leading six people to their execution, including two on crutches.

Reporting from Maiduguri, Nigeria
"Shoot him in the chest, not the head," said the Nigerian security official as two men on crutches were forced to lie in the street in the northern city of Maiduguri last year. "I want his hat."

Another security official raised his gun and shot the two in the back at point-blank range. The killings were captured on video and recently aired on Al Jazeera television, then posted on YouTube, causing a national scandal.

The video shows security officers leading six people to be executed in a main street, four with their hands tied behind their backs and two on crutches. Two bodies lie nearby. It shows security officials shooting three of the victims.

The killings took place during a joint military-police operation in Maiduguri after a July uprising by an Islamic group known as the Nigerian Taliban. The rebellion left an estimated 700 dead.

Prosecutions and disciplinary action against police are rare. But after national outrage over the video, 17 police officers were arrested in February and face trial.
Re: Video Of Nigeria Killings Prompts Outrage, Arrest Of Officers by Kobojunkie: 5:55am On Apr 19, 2010
cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Video Of Nigeria Killings Prompts Outrage, Arrest Of Officers by Nobody: 6:13am On Apr 19, 2010
Kobojunkie is actually showing another emotion, other than "ROTFLMAO"? Ope!

@post
Babaric. . . . how can one sleep right after shooting some by this execution style?
Re: Video Of Nigeria Killings Prompts Outrage, Arrest Of Officers by Nobody: 9:56am On Apr 19, 2010
And these are the poeple we depend on the PROTECT us!
sad
Re: Video Of Nigeria Killings Prompts Outrage, Arrest Of Officers by hakanai(m): 10:15am On Apr 19, 2010
you know when i was in school as a youth.when ever you hear armed robbers around, especially where you hang out. it is better you run from the police and robbers. if you can, as both will deprive you of hard earned cash. grin
Re: Video Of Nigeria Killings Prompts Outrage, Arrest Of Officers by violent(m): 10:32am On Apr 19, 2010
I'm not sure i should be sad such things happen!. . .

For some of us, that were "privileged" to be exposed to the gory sights of dead baby pictures whose brain matter littered the floor and many other 4-10 year olds who were trapped in their own burning homes, only to run out and be hacked to death in their prime in the recent Jos crisis, we wouldn't be so quick to shed tears for perpetrators of such acts if apprehended and killed by the police in a Jungle Justice, free show shoot out!

Asking for them to be taken to court where they can have access to a lawyer who by crooked means can get them a bail, and likewise exposing them to defunct Judicial system in which cases are known to drag for years, is an insult to the emotions of the family of the victims who will mourn the loss of their loved ones forever.

Don't be so quick to throw stones at me for airing my opinion, i realize taking them to court is the "appropriate" thing to do, but if I were a Police officer, i will deny such animals every right to free trial, it is the least thing they deserve.

(1) (Reply)

Ibori Is A Coward Says Ex Minister Chief Edwin Clark / : Remove Local Govt From And State from the Constitution / Quick Q?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.