Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,738 members, 7,875,853 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:21 PM

Jay Ajayi Overwhelmed After becoming the fifth Briton To Win The Super Bowl - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Jay Ajayi Overwhelmed After becoming the fifth Briton To Win The Super Bowl (433 Views)

Lionel Messi Named Football's GOAT During NFL Super Bowl / A D.M From a Briton To salah After His Running On Water Advert / The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Jay Ajayi Overwhelmed After becoming the fifth Briton To Win The Super Bowl by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:14pm On Feb 05, 2018
Philadelphia Eagles' Jay Ajayi overwhelmed after becoming the fifth Briton to win the Super Bowl: 'There is nothing to describe this... We're the best team in the world'
The Philadelphia Eagles beat the New England Patriots 41-33 in Minneapolis
Eagles' running back Jay Ajayi became the fifth Briton the win the Super Bowl
London-born Ajayi wore a Union Jack flag as he celebrated with his team-mates
Ajayi paid tribute to Eagles back-up quarterback Nick Foles for his performance

By PETER CARLINE FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 05:29 GMT, 5 February 2018 | UPDATED: 06:26 GMT, 5 February 2018

A year ago, Jay Ajayi walked out at the Super Bowl. Now he's the fifth Briton to win the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

The London-born running back played his part as the Philadelphia Eagles beat the New England Patriots 41-33 at US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis.

Ajayi, who rushed for 57 yards off nine carries, was draped in a Union Jack flag following the pulsating victory.

Super Bowl 2018: Philadelphia Eagles 41-33 New England...

'We're the best team in the world, and it showed tonight. We’re Super Bowl champions,’ said the 24-year-old Arsenal fan.

He paid tribute to the Eagles running backs coach and his contemporaries, who rushed for a combined 164 yards to keep the Patriots on the back foot - and Tom Brady off the field.

'Duce Staley's room, he breeds competitiveness and breeds excellence. It showed tonight. We were the best on the field today.'

‘We wanted to be aggressive tonight. We understood that this is a team that does not quit we were playing, that plays four quarters and we were going to have to be aggressive all game long.

'From an offensive standpoint, the defense stepping up late, aggressive all the way. We set the tone early and we wanted to keep our foot on the gas,' he said.

He also paid tribute to Nick Foles, who started the season as the Eagles back up but ended it as Super Bowl MVP.

'Everyone doubts him and everyone talks about him, and he just continued to step up to the plate and hit home runs. A special player. Composed, confident, veteran leader and he helped us win this game. MVP.'

'It's rare to be in positions like this, coming from London, getting to the States and even being a Super Bowl champion. It's rare. So I'm thankful to my upbringing, I’m thankful everything that has happened in my life that's brought me to this point.'

In Houston 12 months ago, Ajayi was playing for the Miami Dolphins and contributed to the BBC’s broadcast of the Patriots’ dramatic victory over the Atlanta Falcons.

'I was at the game up until the third-quarter but I got fed up because I couldn't take the fact I was watching the Super Bowl and wasn't playing in it.

'At the time, being at the Dolphins and watching the Patriots, it was really uncomfortable for me so I left early. I promised myself I wouldn't go back to the Super Bowl unless I was playing.'

Other Britons to win a Super Bowl include Osi Umenyiora and Lawrence Tynes of the New York Giants, Marvin Allen of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Scott McCready of the Patriots.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-5352039/Philadelphia-Eagles-Jay-Ajayi-overwhelmed-win.html#ixzz56GNQagIR

How come Nigeria is not claiming this guy?

1 Share

Re: Jay Ajayi Overwhelmed After becoming the fifth Briton To Win The Super Bowl by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:55am On Feb 06, 2018
Super bowls champion eagles use their fame to praise God

http://baptistmessage.com/super-bowl-champs-praise-god-epic-win/

(1) (Reply)

Check Out 12 Teams Lionel Messi Has Never Scored Against No 6 Will Surprise U / Fashanu, Others Attend, As Abia's Chikwe Udensi Hosts Football Tourney (photos) / A Sport Betting Story...introducing...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.