Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,360 members, 7,937,100 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 01:20 PM

Why Just One God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Just One God? (1038 Views)

Poll : Are You A Trinitarian Or ONE GOD Believer - All Welcome To Vote / Africans And The Concept Of One God / If There's Only One God, Why Are There So Many Religions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Just One God? by mazaje1: 4:41pm On Apr 19, 2010
I just started thinking about the ultimate boeing 747 argument. True, a whirlwind passing through a Junkyard would probably NOT assemble a 747. However, if an alien species found a 747,why would they think it the product of only 1 creator. An almost limitless number of people went in to the design, fabrication, and realization of a 747. Why should the universe (which is infinitely more complex) be any different?

If the nature of the universe somehow includes the ability for a sentient proto-being to self-generate, why just one? Theymshould be as common as hydrogen and oxygen combining into water, IMO. Either the conditions are right for lots of "gods" (whatever they might be) or right for none. So my question for my monotheistic friends on this thread is this. . .Why only one God?

Or is it because it allows for the attribute of omni-everything and justifies calling all other theists morons and lost. While using the "My god can beat up your god, because your god can't even reign in on other gods and my god is the only one anyway. . . . . . And he's the biggest and the strongest". . .Mantra all the time. . . .
Re: Why Just One God? by mazaje1: 6:15pm On Apr 19, 2010
Re: Why Just One God? by karo93: 6:46pm On Apr 19, 2010
two captains cannot sail a ship!, except they have the same mindset and will.
so even if they are many supernatural powers there must be one who holds them all together and has the final say,the highest authority.
that is "God" and the person most religions believe they worship or aim to worship.
Re: Why Just One God? by mazaje1: 9:16am On Apr 20, 2010
karo93:

two captains cannot sail a ship!, except they have the same mindset and will.
so even if they are many supernatural powers there must be one who holds them all together and has the final say,the highest authority.
that is "God" and the person most religions believe they worship or aim to worship.

Your evidence for this assertion is WHAT?
Re: Why Just One God? by manmustwac(m): 12:19pm On Apr 20, 2010
Thiests all believe in one god and they see the faults in all the other gods while we believe in one less god than the thiests.
Re: Why Just One God? by Duroe: 12:56pm On Apr 20, 2010
Fortunately the revelation that God gave about himself in the Holy Bible is that He is One. However the 'oneness' could mean one as a unit or one as in 'class'. We have one Homosapien with same anatomical characteristics despite being different in skin colour, height, size etc.
'Elohim' is a plural name, He said he is one. Jesus Christ confirm that 'God' is one. However revealed in the Holy Bible as the Triune God- the Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost.
The acronym 'God' therefore could not be a name like John, Joshua, Sarah etc (which are names of the same homosapien), but rather the 'class' reference to the Supreme Being who is one in essence and so united in Love (unlike homosapien) that there is no desire in the Father , Son and Holy Ghost to claim individuality.
God is ONE but revealed Himself as The Father, The Word (who incarnated as the Son) and The Holy Ghost, specifically in relation to the redemption of Mankind.
Re: Why Just One God? by mazaje1: 5:53pm On Apr 20, 2010
Duroe:

Fortunately the revelation that God gave about himself in the Holy Bible is that He is One. However the 'oneness' could mean one as a unit or one as in 'class'. We have one Homosapien with same anatomical characteristics despite being different in skin colour, height, size etc.
'Elohim' is a plural name, He said he is one. Jesus Christ confirm that 'God' is one. However revealed in the Holy Bible as the Triune God- the Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost.
The acronym 'God' therefore could not be a name like John, Joshua, Sarah etc (which are names of the same homosapien), but rather the 'class' reference to the Supreme Being who is one in essence and so united in Love (unlike homosapien) that there is no desire in the Father , Son and Holy Ghost to claim individuality.
God is ONE but revealed Himself as The Father, The Word (who incarnated as the Son) and The Holy Ghost, specifically in relation to the redemption of Mankind.

What is this? . . . .The christian god is not alone. He has an army of angels, not to mention jesus and the holy spirit. So this whole "mono-theism" is not really a mono-theism when you think about it. . . . .
Re: Why Just One God? by DeepSight(m): 6:03pm On Apr 20, 2010
Correct. The idea of Christian monotheism is a major fraud in terms of the contradictory concept of the trinity which we are forced to accept as a monotheistic concept. It is NOT.
Re: Why Just One God? by Duroe: 6:41pm On Apr 20, 2010
The God revealed in the Bible is the Triune God- The Father, The Word (Son) and The Holy Ghost. While this is clear in the New testament, it was hidden in the Old Testament despite the fact that He did referred to Himself with a Plural name- Elohim.
Beside Elohim there is no god formed neither will there be anyone after him. He is the self-existent God and the creator of everything in existence including the Angels.
The word 'GOD' is not a name like John, Mary etc, but a 'class' referring to deities that is why we have Sango, Oya, Ogun etc being called gods (same spelling). If your name is John, you will not answer to James. But where they referred to human beings, if you are one you will respond and many other humanbeings that are there also. 'God' is used as 'human being' is used. So we have many gods and goddesses, but the Creator of heaven and earth, the Self existent one, the Beginning and the End, is the one that revealed Himself as the God of Abraham, God of isaac, God of Jacob and The Father of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ (His Word in human flesh). There is no other 'GOD' beside him.
His oneness is not contestible despite the revelation of his triune nature in the Father, The Son and the Holy Ghost.
Study the Bible and see for yourself. He is not many 'GODS' but one in essence.
Sorry if I have further confused you. But you cannot fully comprehend Him (just as I could not) otherwise He ceased to be the Supreme being. You only need to believe Him now and enter into His rest or disbelieve him but end up believing while already irreversibly burning in Hell fire. Remember no one else can deliver from His hand or ask Him 'what are you doing'. Happily He is Just, Righteous, Merciful, Forgiving. He took the responsibility of your salvation on Himself and only asked you to accept it- your work cannot save you, it is a free gift.
Re: Why Just One God? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Apr 20, 2010
mazaje1:

I just started thinking about the ultimate boeing 747 argument. True, a whirlwind passing through a Junkyard would probably NOT assemble a 747. However, if an alien species found a 747,why would they think it the product of only 1 creator. An almost limitless number of people went in to the design, fabrication, and realization of a 747. Why should the universe (which is infinitely more complex) be any different?

If the nature of the universe somehow includes the ability for a sentient proto-being to self-generate, why just one? Theymshould be as common as hydrogen and oxygen combining into water, IMO. Either the conditions are right for lots of "gods" (whatever they might be) or right for none. So my question for my monotheistic friends on this thread is this. . .Why only one God?

Or is it because it allows for the attribute of omni-everything and justifies calling all other theists morons and lost. While using the "My god can beat up your god, because your god can't even reign in on other gods and my god is the only one anyway. . . . . . And he's the biggest and the strongest". . .Mantra all the time. . . .

Seriously where is the coherence here?

Because it takes many men to assemble a boeing 747 so it MUST REQUIRE many "gods" to assemble a universe? What is the logic here? Are you trying to say that somehow you KNOW that those "gods" are no more intelligent or powerful than the men they allegedly created?

and please the probability that a hurricane passing through a junkyard can assemble a 747 is ZERO. There are no probabilities there.
Re: Why Just One God? by Titobay(f): 6:49pm On Apr 20, 2010
There can be no other god but God. If you imagine the creation of the heavens and earth by multiple gods then imagine the chaos, veto power, selfish self centred gods who would rather have you stooping under them to get the basic benefits of life like air, rainfall etc. Imagine the global world today, if each of the so called leaders were to be gods in their own right, perhaps you would not be alive today to tell the story.

God says in Q57 vs 3 that 'He makes the night to enter into the day and the day to enter into the night'. Perhaps if we have several gods, a lot of us would only experience daylight and never know the other side or vice versa. The earth is part of the creation of God, perhaps other gods would create their own abode to claim supremacy but for as long as they cant, for as long as they live and die like mere mortals, they must bow to the utmost superiority in power.

Q36 vs 22 - 23 says 'And why should i not worship He who created me and to whom you will be returned, Should i take other than Him, false deities while if He the Most Merciful intends for me some adversities, their intercession will not avail me at all nor can they save me, '

Logically, why would i call an outsider to intervene for me when i have built strong relationship with the Supreme Being. No! Third party is not aloud. There is no other god but God, the Greatest!
Re: Why Just One God? by DeepSight(m): 6:49pm On Apr 20, 2010
davidylan:

and please the probability that a hurricane passing through a junkyard can assemble a 747 is ZERO. There are no probabilities there.

Too true.
Re: Why Just One God? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Apr 20, 2010
Titobay:

There can be no other god but God. If you imagine the creation of the heavens and earth by multiple gods then imagine the chaos, veto power, selfish self centred gods who would rather have you stooping under them to get the basic benefits of life like air, rainfall etc. Imagine the global world today, if each of the so called leaders were to be gods in their own right, perhaps you would not be alive today to tell the story.

God says in Q57 vs 3 that 'He makes the night to enter into the day and the day to enter into the night'. Perhaps if we have several gods, a lot of us would only experience daylight and never know the other side or vice versa. The earth is part of the creation of God, perhaps other gods would create their own abode to claim supremacy but for as long as they cant, for as long as they live and die like mere mortals, they must bow to the utmost superiority in power.

Q36 vs 22 - 23 says 'And why should i not worship He who created me and to whom you will be returned, Should i take other than Him, false deities while if He the Most Merciful intends for me some adversities, their intercession will not avail me at all nor can they save me, '

Logically, why would i call an outsider to intervene for me when i have built strong relationship with the Supreme Being. No! Third party is not aloud. There is no other god but God, the Greatest!

hmm did you somehow stray away from the islamic section by error?
Re: Why Just One God? by DeepSight(m): 6:52pm On Apr 20, 2010
Titobay:

Logically, why would i call an outsider to intervene for me when i have built strong relationship with the Supreme Being. No! Third party is not aloud.

The word is spelt "allowed."
Re: Why Just One God? by mazaje1: 1:55pm On Apr 21, 2010
davidylan:

Seriously where is the coherence here?

Because it takes many men to assemble a boeing 747 so it MUST REQUIRE many "gods" to assemble a universe? What is the logic here? Are you trying to say that somehow you KNOW that those "gods" are no more intelligent or powerful than the men they allegedly created?

Here is the coherence. . . .Theist based their belief of the universe requiring a creator based on the fact that most of the complex things we use like cars, computers, airplane etc were created so for that the complex universe must have had a creator. . . . .I am just using the same logic here to say that since most of these complex things the creationist and theist cite as examples or basis for the universe requiring a creator were not a product of one persons why do they still insist that the universe was created by only one creator? Why not many creators since they base their justification on the creation of complex things by men?. . . . As for knowing about the power and intelligence of gods I know that Yahweh and Allah are not more intelligent than the people they allegedly created. . . .A simple reading of their books(bible and koran) says so. . . .
Re: Why Just One God? by mendax: 4:08pm On Apr 21, 2010
mazaje1:

. . . . As for knowing about the power and intelligence of gods I know that Yahweh and Allah are not more intelligent than the people they allegedly created. . . .A simple reading of their books(bible and koran) says so. . . .

@mazaje,

very good reasoning, why would theists think that God/Yahweh/Allah is anymore intelligent than what they created? afterall, the humanbeings are not anymore intelligent than the cars, computers, airplane etc that they have created so far! I agree with u.

furthermore, it is hoped that oneday, the cars, computers, airplane etc wuld be intelligent enough to deny they were created, so why do we keep bothering? very true undecided

Infact, my point would be proven in a century to come when, the cars, computers, airplaneĀ  etc evolve as in terminator 3 and take over the entire world. Humans will be in the brink of extinction!!

(1) (Reply)

Sex Message: Adefarasin Tells Teenagers To Stay Away From Church / Primate Ayodele Donates To Mosque / What Kind Of "blood Thirty God" Are Some Muslims Marketing To Us, Does The Quran Sopport T

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.