Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,651 members, 7,882,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 06:23 PM

An Honest Question For All Atheists ! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / An Honest Question For All Atheists ! (999 Views)

Challenge Go All Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers / To All Atheists. Once And For All.. / FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by Nobody: 3:51pm On Apr 20, 2010
If Man evolved from Apes, how come we still have Apes roaming around ?

How come they have not yet evolved ?
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by xcolanto(m): 5:15pm On Apr 20, 2010
Good question!
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by Zodiac61(m): 5:21pm On Apr 20, 2010
S.T.U.P.I.D. question
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by mazaje1: 5:43pm On Apr 20, 2010
Go educate yourself about evolution and stop asking dumb questions. . .Atheism has nothing to do with evolution because there are so many christians that accept the theory. . . .
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 20, 2010
^

It is a most valid question.

As a Christian I believe certain aspects of the evolutionary process with the exception of man’s origin.

A Christian cannot reject the fact of man's creation by God and still remain Christian.

It is this aspect that I am referring to in my argument, the origin of man.

In your own words (no plagiarism) explain to me (if you are an atheist) how man came to be.

I want valid, logical arguments not some randomly picked up fabrications.
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by Nobody: 7:31pm On Apr 20, 2010
mazaje1:

Go educate yourself about evolution and stop asking dumb questions. . .Atheism has nothing to do with evolution because there are so many christians that accept the theory. . . .
What then is ur basis for being an atheist/practising atheism?
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by mantraa: 8:51pm On Apr 20, 2010
If Man evolved from Apes, how come we still have Apes roaming around ?

How come they have not yet evolved ?

Good question and a very common one.  However, it does not make much sense.

Firstly, evolution does not state that man evolved from apes. It states that apes and humans are primates and evolved from a common ancestor, which is now extinct. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence to support this. Just visit your nearest natural history museum. There have so far been found over 20 different species of extinct humans. http://www.amazon.com/Last-Human-Twenty-Two-Species-Extinct/dp/0300100477/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Secondly, it is well known that all dogs evolved from wolves, yet there are stll wolves.

Thirdly, animals evolve through a process of natural selection over millions of years. If an animal remains in a stable environment where it thrives, the species will survive without changing. If not it will either die out and become extinct or favourable mutations over many generations will help it to evolve and survive.

I hope this helps you to understand.

Respects
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by agathamari(f): 9:31pm On Apr 20, 2010
all apes and human subsets evolved from a comon ancestor - which is no longer around. same goes for bears, wild cats, wild dogs, crocodilians, song birds, etc. evolution is like a tree. the common ancestor is the trunk while its decendants are the branches
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by ilosiwaju: 5:17pm On Apr 21, 2010
Zodiac61:

S.T.U.P.I.D. question
Let's just call it ridiculous.
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by mazaje1: 2:06pm On Apr 22, 2010
frosbel:

^

It is a most valid question.

As a Christian I believe certain aspects of the evolutionary process with the exception of man’s origin.

A Christian cannot reject the fact of man's creation by God and still remain Christian.

It is this aspect that I am referring to in my argument, the origin of man.

In your own words (no plagiarism) explain to me (if you are an atheist) how man came to be.

I want valid, logical arguments not some randomly picked up fabrications.

I don't know how man came to be . . . . .I also accept some certain aspects of the evolutionary theory. Evolution does NOT say that man evolved from apes, Study the theory on your own and stop listening to creationist lies about the theory. . .I repeat it does NOT say that human beings evolved from apes at all, all it says is that human beings and apes share a common ancestor. . .The theory is about the biological progression of living things over time due to environmental factors. The same way human beings breed cattle, dogs or goats except that according to the theory it is nature that does the selection instead of man. . . .
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:18pm On Apr 22, 2010
Why even bother to reply, jeez just google up evolution and read, since when did evolution and atheism become bread and butter self?

@OP
What is atheism?
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by Nobody: 2:43pm On Apr 22, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

Why even bother to reply, jeez just google up evolution and read, since when did evolution and atheism become bread and butter self?

@OP
What is atheism?

Atheism is commonly described as the position that there are no deities. It can also mean the rejection of belief in the existence of deities

Now all of you seem to be skipping over the aspect of Evolution I particularly emphasized on and that is the creation evolution of man.

Question: Do you believe that man is a created being or an evolved specie.

Waiting for your answer.
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by Nobody: 2:46pm On Apr 22, 2010
.The theory is about the biological progression of living things over time due to environmental factors

How did man biologically progress over the last 100 million years, lol. grin
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by mazaje1: 2:59pm On Apr 22, 2010
frosbel:

How did man biologically progress over the last 100 million years, lol.  grin

100 million years ago there was no man according to the theory. . . . grin. .
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:08pm On Apr 22, 2010
frosbel:

Atheism is commonly described as the position that there are no deities. It can also mean the rejection of belief in the existence of deities

Now all of you seem to be skipping over the aspect of Evolution I particularly emphasized on and that is the creation evolution of man.

Question: Do you believe that man is a created being or an evolved specie.

Waiting for your answer.

Bia nna, were in the definition of atheism did you see anything that remotely has to do with evolutionary biologists? Just as you dismiss Allah, so I dismiss your God simple, where biology for enter the matter?
P.S I don't know is a very honest answer.
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by Nobody: 4:28pm On Apr 22, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

Bia nna, were in the definition of atheism did you see anything that remotely has to do with evolutionary biologists? Just as you dismiss Allah, so I dismiss your God simple, where biology for enter the matter?
P.S I don't know is a very honest answer.

Okay you missed my point.

Evolutionary biology has its facts and fiction.

I purposely mentioned ONLY one aspect which had to do with the origin of man.

My question then, in a rephrased fashion will be, if Atheists do not believe in God, how do they suppose man came into existence.

I want answers, not rigmaroles.
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by mendax: 4:52pm On Apr 22, 2010
agathamari:

all apes and human subsets evolved from a comon ancestor - which is no longer around. same goes for bears, wild cats, wild dogs, crocodilians, song birds, etc. evolution is like a tree. the common ancestor is the trunk while its decendants are the branches

@agathamari;

i am sorry to say that in my opinion ur example above makes no sense. Hav u ever seen a tree that went extinct and left its branches living?
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:54pm On Apr 22, 2010
frosbel:

Okay you missed my point.

Evolutionary biology has its facts and fiction.

I purposely mentioned ONLY one aspect which had to do with the origin of man.

My question then, in a rephrased fashion will be, if Atheists do not believe in God, how do they suppose man came into existence.

I want answers, not rigmaroles.

Well that is for the individual atheist to decide, me I really don't care much to know.My lack of belief in anything supernatural has little or nothing to do with Mans origin. But I have read the creation story and it is BS.
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by mendax: 5:02pm On Apr 22, 2010
mantraa:

Good question and a very common one.  However, it does not make much sense.

There have so far been found over 20 different species of extinct humans. http://www.amazon.com/Last-Human-Twenty-Two-Species-Extinct/dp/0300100477/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Secondly, it is well known that all dogs evolved from wolves, yet there are stll wolves.

Thirdly, animals evolve through a process of natural selection over millions of years.
I hope this helps you to understand.

Respects

@mantraa

un4tunately i'll have to disagree wit u, the questions make sense

1stly, its unfortunate i hav no money to purchase that book, so i couldnt read it smiley
2ndly, the whole idea of creation is that ALL SPECIES WERE CREATED. so your example of dogs and wolves still in existence doesnt hold water, since the creationists believe that both the dog and the wolf were created and as such both should still exist. if anything, the wolf should be no more.
In the same vain, a specie could go extinct not becoz it has evolved but for many other reasons. Eg hunting, or more ecently species like whales due to poaching, or even the dinosaurs that we were told went extinct after a meteorite strike etc. if that falls under natural selection, then its another thing entirely!!
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by mendax: 5:07pm On Apr 22, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

Well that is for the individual atheist to decide, me I really don't care much to know.My lack of belief in anything supernatural has little or nothing to do with Mans origin. But I have read the creation story and it is BS.

@Chrisbenogor,
i respect your opinion of not caring much to know, but seriously its worth knowing. It gives some sense of purpose to know how u came into existence.

Give it sum thot in your spare time wink

for example, if i blieve i was created, then the next logical questn is that, for what purpose?
if on the otherhand, i believe that i evolved from the same root with a monkey, then my purpose is very clear. i.e the same purpose with my ancestors, give me a banana, a tree and a mate and i am as happy as my ancestor. Honestly, comparing a man with a monkey is degrading. Afterall in some communities, ordinarily saying to someone that ur father is a begger is enof insult
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by Romeo4real(m): 7:11pm On Apr 22, 2010
The ignorance displayed by some on this thread is mind numbing, but in equal measure, other posters have contributed highly erudite and elucidated responses.

It seem the original OP is not really looking for enlightenment on the issue, but rather interested in arguing just for the sake of it.

It is well known that the Bible contains inaccuracies and inconsistencies. This does not mean the Bible is a fraudulent document, but rather has been subject to human error and historic manipulation. This does not detract or lessens the essence of the Bible. It is still the Word of God.

There are also many inconsistencies and scientific inaccuracies in Darwin's Theory of Evolution as laid out in his book - On the Origin of Species. Science has come a long way since Darwin, and many scientific advances have clarified, or even challenged parts of his theory - Again, this does not mean the premise of the book is incorrect. In fact, the book is still the most concrete body of work regarding Evolutionary Biology today.

As most people have already clarified here, Atheism and Evolutionary Biology have nothing to do with each other. The Theory of Evolution and Creationism do not even conflict with each other. The contention arises in attempting to fill in the missing gaps and square them together.

At the moment, this will not be possible as there is still much that we are finding out about evolution. E.g. It is only recently that scientists have concluded that that not all hominids are descended from one another, but are different species that share a common ancestor.
Also the area of Epigenetics (non-genetic factors cause an organism's genes to behave (or "express themselves") differently in offspring) is shedding more light on the Theory of Natural Selection.
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by Nobody: 7:37pm On Apr 22, 2010
How the bible came into this debate is another matter.

A question was specifically directed to those who do not believe that man was created by God to provide a theory that can be supported by factual evidence and convincing arguments.

I am still waiting for them !
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by Romeo4real(m): 8:12pm On Apr 22, 2010
The Bible came into it because this is the "Religion" section of Nairaland.

The original questions was
If Man evolved from Apes, how come we still have Apes roaming around ? How come they have not yet evolved ?

Therefore it is logical to assume this has something to do with Atheists not believing in God. Even your post has justified and corroborated that assumption -

A question was specifically directed to those who do not believe that man was created by God to provide a theory that can be supported by factual evidence and convincing arguments!
Re: An Honest Question For All Atheists ! by mendax: 8:19pm On Apr 22, 2010
@Romeo4real,

The Theory of Evolution and Creationism do not even conflict with each other. The contention arises in attempting to fill in the missing gaps and square them  together.
Again, this does not mean the premise of the book is incorrect.  In fact, the book is still the most concrete body of work regarding Evolutionary Biology today.

well, i agree that Darwins work is regarded as the most concrete work of evoltionary biology, but sorry, the premise of the theory is in total conflict with creation. Creation means man was created and the human specie has always been the human specie (nothing about the human race has evolved unless mayb the colour of skin and languages, if u wish to call such things evolution ). On the other hand, evolution theory says man was previously a different specie and became a man (and probably given more time he may bcom something else). I dont see how u intend to say they are not conflicting. Its either u were created or not!!

(1) (Reply)

bc / The State Of The Religious Section: / Prayer! Prayer! Unn Post Ume Candidates, Don't miss this!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.