Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,344 members, 7,888,091 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 07:07 PM

Rapper Gangstarr Dies At 43 - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Rapper Gangstarr Dies At 43 (627 Views)

Won Kere Si Number Wa Crooner Fatai Rolling Dollar Dies At 85 / Barmani Choge Dies At 80 / Singing Legend Etta James Dies At 73 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rapper Gangstarr Dies At 43 by Mobinga: 8:22pm On Apr 20, 2010
Guru, a the pioneering Gang Starr rapper who pushed hip-hop to new boundaries by blending thumping beats with jazz rhythms, has died. He was 43.

The rap star, whose real name is Keith Elam, died after a long battle with cancer, his longtime professional partner DJ Premier said.

Guru's death came two months after he suffered a heart attack and was hospitalized in New York. He reportedly fell into a coma after undergoing surgery.

Guru rocketed to stardom in the late 1980s when he partnered with DJ Premier to create the group Gang Starr.

The partnership helped define East Coast rap, with its complex, socially-conscious lyrics and jazz-heavy samples.

In the 1990s, Guru received further acclaim for his solo albums dubbed "Jazzmattaz," which featured collaborations with such jazz sensations as Branford Marsalis and Donald Byrd.

On his Web site, DJ Premier published a letter purportedly written by Guru, which stands for Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal.

"I write this with tears in my eyes, not of sorrow but of joy for what a wonderful life I have enjoyed and how many great people I have had the pleasure of meeting," the letter reads.
sad sad sad sad sad Na wa oh.
Re: Rapper Gangstarr Dies At 43 by Genuflect(m): 8:45pm On Apr 20, 2010
Damn, a gem just died. Gotta love the way he fused Jazz and Hip Hop. I remember playing Tony Hawk 4 everytime just because of one of his songs. RIP Guru
Re: Rapper Gangstarr Dies At 43 by dominique(f): 9:38pm On Apr 20, 2010
oh darn!!! cry
may he RIP
Re: Rapper Gangstarr Dies At 43 by mamagee3(f): 12:10am On Apr 21, 2010
May his soul rest in Peace.
Re: Rapper Gangstarr Dies At 43 by A40(m): 12:19am On Apr 21, 2010
R.I.P to the dude mehn. We just lost another great M.C although he was under-rated and wasn't too mainstream he did have skills. I'd be playing his classic with Angie Stone in his memory
Re: Rapper Gangstarr Dies At 43 by tjadeba(m): 12:44am On Apr 21, 2010
i always like his remix of Bob Marley's song, Johnny was a good boy, RIP bruv
Re: Rapper Gangstarr Dies At 43 by AjanleKoko: 1:53pm On Apr 21, 2010
Guru was 47, not 43.

One of the real MCs, no doubt. Na wa. All the Southern Crunk nonsense floating about is enough to kill anybody undecided
Re: Rapper Gangstarr Dies At 43 by Nobody: 7:20pm On Apr 21, 2010
believe it or not i was just reminiscing on some of gangstarrs 90s hits mass appeal , fala etal and making up my mind to download them

(1) (Reply)

Weed Smokers: / Hiphop Download / Forces Of Satan Records

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.