Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,329 members, 7,881,229 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:48 PM

Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls (51161 Views)

40 American Students Take Igbo Names After Tracing Ancestry To Igboland / 60 Igbo Names & Their Meaning / Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by kenex4ever(m): 9:21am On Feb 11, 2018
mybestlove:
Chimamanda= my God will never fail (female)

Ugonna = father's pride (male/female)

Chidinma= God is good (female)

Amarachi = God's grace (female)

Ugochukwu= God's peace (male/female)

Onyedikachi = Who is like God (male)

Chimamkpam =God knows my worries/needs (male)

Nneka = Mother is superior (female)

Obioma= good heart (male)

Tochukwu = Praise God (male)
And many many many others.
I thought Udochukwu is God's peace
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by olowobaba10: 9:26am On Feb 11, 2018
A
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by olowobaba10: 9:29am On Feb 11, 2018
THE OP , WHAT YOU EXPLAINED HERE ARE ABSOLUTE NONSESNSE, GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT.
vanessaRN:
If you missed the Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls see link below.. https://www.nairaland.com/4338170/uncommon-yoruba-names-boys-girls

Are you looking for the most beautiful and unique Igbo names for your future baby? You have come to the right place. Here you will find a list of the most interesting and meaningful ancient names that are traditional for Delta Igbo people.

What’s there behind a person’s name?

All the nations, peoples and tribes in the world have a tradition of giving people names. In all traditions all around the globe, people’s personal names have a meaning. It’s not just a combination of letters that sounds pleasant. Ancient people believed that it’s something that could protect a person from evil spirits, give him or her a good destiny and success in life, or describe his or her personality in the best way.

The most ancient names are often the most beautiful. In the modern world and due to the clash of cultures, many names migrate between languages, countries, and cultures, people begin to forget the way their ancestors named their children.
Are Igbo names and meaning special in any way?

For Igbo people, a name is a way to express somebody’s unique personality. The majority of Igbo names are composed with the help of grammatical rules of the Igbo language. Each part of these names has a symbolic meaning. A name can reflect the circumstances of a child’s birth. Some people say that in ancient times, baby girls, future women, were named after market trading days.
What about the last name?

Unique Delta Igbo names and meaning

Now, let’s check out some traditional Delta Igbo baby names and their meaning.
Igbo baby names

Ozioma – this is both a male and a female name, which means “unique great news”
Uzoamaka – this is a female name, which means “a good journey” or “a smooth path”
Osinachi – this is a male name, which means “originating from God”
Ifeanacho – this is a male name, which means “exactly what we are searching for”
Jamuike – this is a male name, which means “encourage me” or “inspire me”
Daaluchineke/Chukwudaalu – these are both male and female names, which mean “thank you, Lord” or “thank God”
Ginikawa/Ginikachukwu – these are female names with meanings “there’s nothing greater than a child” and “there’s nothing greater than the Lord”
Akwaugo – this is a female name, which means “my precious daughter”
Sopuluchi – this is a male name, which means “respect God”
Akubundu – this is a male name, which means “wealth is life”
Amaogechukwu – this is a female name, which means “ Lord’s time is the best”
Ibeamaka – this is a male name, which means “love is in a friend”
Azuka – this is both a female and male name, which means “we grow stronger with experience”
Akumjeli – this is both a female and male name, which means “I will enjoy that wealth”
Isioma – this is a female name, which means “good luck”
Ositadimma – this is a male name, which means “May all be well since now”
Onochie – this is a female name, which means “the one who replaces”
Chukwunomso – this is both a female and male name, which means “Lord is near me”
Fumnanya – this is a female name, which means “love me”
Akuabia – this is a male name, which means “wealth has come”

How to choose a good name for your baby?

Here are several recommendations on choosing a good name for your child. To find a lovely name in specialized lists is one thing but wear it in everyday life is completely different. As parents, you should remember that if you like a certain name, it’s not a fact that your child will like it, too.

If you have twins, it may seem very cute to give them names that sound in some way similar.

source
https://www.reportnaija.ng/2018/02/10/beautiful-igbo-names-baby-boys-girls/

L
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Anambra1stSon(m): 9:49am On Feb 11, 2018
Haggui:
Obata osu

grin grin grin grin Oboy u dey mad

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Mpotomisticai(m): 10:29am On Feb 11, 2018
[quote author=mybestlove post=64956503]Chimamanda= my God will never fail (female)

Ugonna = father's pride (male/female)

Chidinma= God is good (female)

Amarachi = God's grace (female)

Ugochukwu= God's peace (male/female)

Onyedikachi = Who is like God (male)

Chimamkpam =God knows my worries/needs (male)

Nneka = Mother is superior (female)

Obioma= good heart (male)

Tochukwu = Praise God (male)

Ugochukwu means Gods pride... Not peace
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by MummyAA: 10:31am On Feb 11, 2018
Akuabia is more of a female name than male in Igbo land. That is my first daughter's name.
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by vicfy(m): 10:56am On Feb 11, 2018
vanessaRN:
If you missed the Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls see link below.. https://www.nairaland.com/4338170/uncommon-yoruba-names-boys-girls

Are you looking for the most beautiful and unique Igbo names for your future baby? You have come to the right place. Here you will find a list of the most interesting and meaningful ancient names that are traditional for Delta Igbo people.

All the nations, peoples and tribes in the world have a tradition of giving people names. In all traditions all around the globe, people’s personal names have a meaning. It’s not just a combination of letters that sounds pleasant. Ancient people believed that it’s something that could protect a person from evil spirits, give him or her a good destiny and success in life, or describe his or her personality in the best way.

The most ancient names are often the most beautiful. In the modern world and due to the clash of cultures, many names migrate between languages, countries, and cultures, people begin to forget the way their ancestors named their children.

For Igbo people, a name is a way to express somebody’s unique personality. The majority of Igbo names are composed with the help of grammatical rules of the Igbo language. Each part of these names has a symbolic meaning. A name can reflect the circumstances of a child’s birth. Some people say that in ancient times, baby girls, future women, were named after market trading days.

Igbo baby names

Uzoamaka – this is a female name, which means “a good journey” or “a smooth path”
Ifeanacho – this is a male name, which means “exactly what we are searching for”
Daaluchineke/Chukwudaalu – these are both male and female names, which mean “thank you, Lord” or “thank God”
Ginikawa/Ginikachukwu – these are female names with meanings “there’s nothing greater than a child” and “there’s nothing greater than the Lord”
Azuka – this is both a female and male name, which means “we grow stronger with experience”
Akumjeli – this is both a female and male name, which means “I will enjoy that wealth”
Chukwunomso – this is both a female and male name, which means “Lord is near me”

Here are several recommendations on choosing a good name for your child. To find a lovely name in specialized lists is one thing but wear it in everyday life is completely different. As parents, you should remember that if you like a certain name, it’s not a fact that your child will like it, too.

If you have twins, it may seem very cute to give them names that sound in some way similar.

source

L
Amu sori, botu dis ah Anambra Names. In Imo, we prefer Chioma, Chidinma, Ada, Ifeanyi, Ikechukwu, Obinna... echetaram echetaram
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by AK481(m): 10:59am On Feb 11, 2018
VonTrapp:
Agwoturumbe!!
turuokpokoro

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Obidikefidelis(m): 11:14am On Feb 11, 2018
I can't find Onyebuchi, oluchukwu, nd chukwunasaokwu. Ar they not good names in igboland ?
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Nmasi88(f): 11:34am On Feb 11, 2018
Munachimusoaga which means i am moving with my G OD
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by donnaD(f): 11:54am On Feb 11, 2018
room089:

Mama Emmy pikin na -
Chi/chukwu zitelu (zitel) - God sent
I love that name.
wao ibo names with swag.nice name.
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by kilonshele101(m): 1:32pm On Feb 11, 2018
grin les pires noms jamais
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by archangel1(m): 3:00pm On Feb 11, 2018
Do Igbo names has male and female? (especially the ones that has divine and event atrributes).l believe Igbos allocate names to gender based on general stereotypes and sounds of a particular name. For instance; Ifeanyichukwu are
commonly stereotyped for men, may be because of the sound that relates 'heaviness'. Ugochukwu because of its relation to 'Eagle' (by connotation 'Pride'). Ukamaka, NWAMAKA etc commonly attributed to Females because they have semblance with 'Beauty'. Some names like 'Onyinyechukwu' (onyinye)-God's gift , Chidimma-(Chidi)- God is good etc have raised a major concern whether they should be classified as Neuter or gender based name. Igbo linguistic scholars should save that scenario where a grown up male will be made jest of like ; 'guy! why are you bearing Onyinye, don't you know it is a typical Female name?'
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Odingo1: 3:03pm On Feb 11, 2018
paulibling:

Ukamaka means communication is good. Wait for Mazi Onwù to translate so that you go learn naa.
It can mean that also, but most parents that gave their daughter Ukamaka, the child was born on Sunday.
Uka- means church.
Uka also mean communication, that is talking with someone.
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Nobody: 3:37pm On Feb 11, 2018
Such lovely names....(which includes all Nigerian tribes...cause I'm not against any beautiful sounding name regardless) smiley

However, I really like the following four from the list:
Azuka
Onochie
Akumjeli
Isioma

But I also really like these two which seem pretty much interchangeable:
Amarachi
Amachi
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by kemifemi: 4:36pm On Feb 11, 2018
Am not Igbo but I like the name 'udomsinachi
Not sure of the spelling tho. But I think it means my Peace comes from God
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by EzeUmuokorobiaa: 5:11pm On Feb 11, 2018
vanessaRN:

Igbo baby names

source

L

Please check the meaning of those names you listed up there I see a lot of misinformation up there. Some of the meanings are incorrect. Osinachi is for both gender it's even borne by mostly females.
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 11, 2018
Baawaa:
I cannot find Ojukwu, Nnamdi,Orubebe,Azikwe etc in the list are they not good ibos names

That's why you are Bawaa
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by fancy4eve(f): 7:44pm On Feb 11, 2018
Ebola uchendu,s daughter is
Jewelchi......go for God
Mine is Kairachukwu......all to God
But I still luv dis name
Olachi......God's beauty
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by fancy4eve(f): 7:45pm On Feb 11, 2018
Ebuka uchendu,s daughter is
Jewelchi......go for God
Mine is Kairachukwu......all to God
But I still luv dis name
Olachi......God's beauty
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by itsene: 8:06pm On Feb 11, 2018
ActNowGov:
Op what the heck is traditional Igbo and delta doing in the same sentence? (What is delta? )
Listen my friend, that stupid divide and conquer and loss of identity that flew in 2009 when we only had the Yoruba newspapers to read cannot and will not be allowed to fly anymore.
You either say Traditional Igbo names or you keep shut. There is nothing like delta Igbo, that rubbish is long gone. Igbo niile bu ofu. Apart from that, good topic and quite lovely names.

You're right!
There are no Igbos in Delta
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by fancy4eve(f): 8:09pm On Feb 11, 2018
IGBOAMAKA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Wiseandtrue(f): 1:26pm On Feb 13, 2018
Pricelessangel0:

U Are Wrong Ugo Means Glory
It was given a different meaning hence my quotation

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Probz(m): 8:00am On Feb 16, 2018
bigfrancis21:

grin grin Nna, ife odogwu fulu n'ani ndi nwulu anwu fialu m aru okwukwu lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I dey o...how's naija?

All good with me kid. All good with me.

Listen, I really want you to think about where the Igbo nation belongs essentially and how deeply rooted we are in nature. That’s a broad area but you can flow with your intuition and pick out the aspects that interest you the most. Think rainforests and world language.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Koko That Ate 40 British Men As Nembe King [PICS] / Sick Emir Of Rano, Tafida Abubakar Ila Taken To Hospital / Olori Wuraola Reverts To Her Maiden Name After Confirming Marriage Breakup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.