Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,299 members, 7,881,100 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:26 PM

Senate Seeks Ban On Importation Of Palm Oil Into Nigeria - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Senate Seeks Ban On Importation Of Palm Oil Into Nigeria (10530 Views)

Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports / US Authorises Importation Of Oha Leaves From Nigeria / How Much Is 25L Of Palm Oil Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Seeks Ban On Importation Of Palm Oil Into Nigeria by globatop: 6:10pm On Feb 14, 2018
bennynaza:
A very good move. But most crucial, the govt must try to support agro entrepreneurs like myself to expand our palm oil mills so as to produce enough to cater for the needs of the populace after the import ban.
I have an operational mill and willing labour but I lack the funds to push beyond the level I produce, even though I have the capacity.
Bank of industry... Zero
Commercial banks... Zero
Bank of Agriculture... Zero
They are all giving me collateral conditions which unfortunately, I can't meet.
Any investor in my mill can make a tidy profit from doing nothing other than raising me some reasonable capital.

Sorry my person, the politicians are only diversifying to agric theoretical, no meaningful support towards agric 3 years after.
Am afraid of even taking agric loan, where you'll be expected to start paying back b4 u start to plant produce, not mentioning outrageous collateral, if I have property to secure a #5m loan, wouldn't I sell some portion of the property to take off, saving me the stress of licking one bank manager's ass.
Re: Senate Seeks Ban On Importation Of Palm Oil Into Nigeria by bennynaza(m): 6:17pm On Feb 14, 2018
globatop:

Sorry my person, the politicians are only diversifying to agric theoretical, no meaningful support towards agric 3 years after.
Am afraid of even taking agric loan, where you'll be expected to start paying back b4 u start to plant produce, not mentioning outrageous collateral, if I have property to secure a #5m loan, wouldn't I sell some portion of the property to take off, saving me the stress of licking one bank manager's ass.

they are just paying lip service to agriculture as alternate source of improving gdp. Bank of agriculture was asking me to provide landed property within the state capital. Which of course I don't possess
Re: Senate Seeks Ban On Importation Of Palm Oil Into Nigeria by nextstep(m): 7:23pm On Feb 14, 2018
slowice:
For Nigeria to import palm oil simply means that we don't produce enough to Carter to our consumption need. The thing is Nigerians re very greedy and if not for imported palm oil we would still be buying a bottle for 700naira by now. It was this greed that made some folks to go importing palm oil cos of the supposed high returns which lead to flooding in the market and crashed the price of the product. So before they ban the importation of palm oil how do they intend to stop people from hoarding local oil and creating artificial scarcity.

I don't see how a high consumption of palm oil equals greed. It should translate to more people going into the business of making it. The trouble is, it's much much harder to take a grow a plantation, process it, and package the oil in Nigeria than most other places. Where do you get the can (metal or plastic), the cover, the kernel press, the industrial oven, the electricity? Transportation, storage, energy. These are much easier and cheaper to come by in Malaysia than in Nigeria, and the prices reflect that...

1 Like

Re: Senate Seeks Ban On Importation Of Palm Oil Into Nigeria by sayisayi(m): 7:45pm On Feb 14, 2018
Naija...soon to be importing sunshine sef

Re: Senate Seeks Ban On Importation Of Palm Oil Into Nigeria by Nobody: 7:52pm On Feb 14, 2018
deafeyez:

BAE U CAN SPEAK BROKEN.

Yes na, I'm a Nigerian.
Re: Senate Seeks Ban On Importation Of Palm Oil Into Nigeria by mfm04622: 7:59pm On Feb 14, 2018
kennygee:
Wait, we import palm oil?

I am not understanding.

We import Palm oil mainly for use in industries, not consumption.

1 Like

Re: Senate Seeks Ban On Importation Of Palm Oil Into Nigeria by menwongo(m): 8:23pm On Feb 14, 2018
Wawaman:
banning is not the solution. yes my wife deal in Palm oil retail. the question is while should we buy Palm oil imported from Malaysia and snuggled through Benin plus the transportation cost for #9200 for 25liters keg . while the one locally produced in Nigeria is going for #11000. Govt should investigate while imported goods are cheaper than locally produce goods.
If you are oil dealer you should know that oil is #7500 per 25 liters keg while transportation is #900.

Imported oil is never cheaper than local made during season

1 Like

Re: Senate Seeks Ban On Importation Of Palm Oil Into Nigeria by Codes151(m): 8:27pm On Feb 14, 2018
We import oil? Palm oil?? Lmao
Re: Senate Seeks Ban On Importation Of Palm Oil Into Nigeria by slowice(m): 3:32am On Feb 15, 2018
nextstep:

I don't see how a high consumption of palm oil equals greed. It should translate to more people going into the business of making it. The trouble is, it's much much harder to take a grow a plantation, process it, and package the oil in Nigeria than most other places. Where do you get the can (metal or plastic), the cover, the kernel press, the industrial oven, the electricity? Transportation, storage, energy. These are much easier and cheaper to come by in Malaysia than in Nigeria, and the prices reflect that...

I never said high consumption equals greed bro.... I said Nigerians were hoarding the oil expecting high returns when the price hit the roof but actually it was the hoarding that created artificial scarcity and caused the price to be too high in the long run... Thats what I called greed. If things played out normally, the price would still go high but would not be as high as 1k for a bottle, that is too high and thats what created the incentives for importation of the product.
Re: Senate Seeks Ban On Importation Of Palm Oil Into Nigeria by duruZed(m): 11:44am On Nov 12, 2019
They will not listen since these products are not produced in the north.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Different Between Deep Litter System And Battery Cage System / IJEOMA'S SEAFOOD - Smoked Dried Prawns - Crayfish Available From Oron / Jigawa To Export Goats Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.