Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,976 members, 7,873,136 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:33 AM

I Have A 2.2 And Can't Study In Canada, Any Remedies? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Have A 2.2 And Can't Study In Canada, Any Remedies? (1593 Views)

Nigerian Couple Buys A House 2 And Half Years Of Moving To UK. / What's The Best Offline Skill To Get Before Traveling To Canada? Any Idea / UK Tier 2 And 5 Visa For Skilled Persons Explained (with Links) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

I Have A 2.2 And Can't Study In Canada, Any Remedies? by Nobody: 12:00am On Feb 25, 2018
hello
I graduated with a degree in geology (second class lower) and I hoped to get a masters degree in any related geoscience course in canada but I don't meet the requirement of a 2.1 to get accepted in any of the reputable school. Is there any post-graduate diploma I can get to augment my 2.2 to qualify? if there is, please can you recommend any school in calgary and the requirements to get accepted for the post graduate diploma or who knows any agent I can contact for advice?
Re: I Have A 2.2 And Can't Study In Canada, Any Remedies? by victree007(m): 12:47am On Feb 25, 2018
Hello bro, don't feel you you can't do MSc in Canada because you have a 2.2 in Geology. I read Geology too and made a 2.1.
However, a very good friend of mine has a 2.2 still in Geology and was given admission @MUN.
Now for a research based course like Geology, Canadian schools require you to have gotten a potential supervisor before you apply to their Geology programs. Once you are able to get a potential supervisor they will help you waive whatever deficiency you may have.
To contact potential supervisors you have to check the faculty list of Geology programs @different schools and mail them with the following documents;
Letter of Interest
Transcript
First Degree Certificate
CV
Data Page of Your Passport if you have

Now your letter and email must be very and absolutely professional else you would have shot yourself on the foot.
Again make sure you don't send more than three (3) inquiries to each school and make sure you clearly define your research area on your LOI and the professors you email must be people doing research in your area of interest.
It is a tough job I must tell you but it is always rewarding @the end.
Don't ever shortchange/limit yourself because you have a 2.2. Canada and US admit people with 2.2 but you must research schools that accept same. Making contact to potential supervisors is one of the surest ways. The beauty of it is that if they accept to supervise you, there is every tendency for them to provide funding/scholarship for you.
If you know you have your own means of paying tuition, always let your potential supervisors know that because most times they will tell you they are not accepting graduate students because they don't have funding. Goodluck in your search.
Re: I Have A 2.2 And Can't Study In Canada, Any Remedies? by OneCorner: 2:37am On Feb 25, 2018
go and learn trade in d east

1 Like

Re: I Have A 2.2 And Can't Study In Canada, Any Remedies? by justwise(m): 7:22am On Feb 25, 2018
There is a Canadian student thread here post this there

(1)

How To Get A Visa To Malta / HELL!! I Really Need Insights On The B1/B2 Visa / Career Path (having Japa Plans In Mind)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.