Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,023 members, 7,890,360 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 01:03 PM

In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) (6268 Views)

Acca or Ican / Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by deebsman1(m): 12:35pm On Apr 27, 2010
Hi house, i have a very good friend, who got disappointed in one of federal universities, as he could not graduated due to an incident (not cult or malpractice), and he's already spent six years in the uni and had to withdraw. So he's now having a kind of dilemma, maybe he should go back to school and start all over, or he should opt for the ACCA certification with the Oxford Brookes B.SC in Applied Accounting as an alternative. Calling on well meaning Nairalanders who's got some experience(s) about the ACCA Program to pls come and tell, if the friend is opting for a better alternative or not. Thanks.
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by AjanleKoko: 1:07pm On Apr 27, 2010
Well, the ACCA is school in itself abi. It should take all of 3-4 years or so.
That's a viable option, and it's a foreign degree of sorts.
Accountants no dey finish for market.
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by deebsman1(m): 4:06pm On Apr 27, 2010
@Ajanlekoko,Thanks. Heard he could use the certificate for N.Y.S.E Service, how true?? Also don't really know how Nigerian employers regards d certificate!!!
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by ednut1(m): 5:32pm On Apr 27, 2010
Sorry 2 say but d truth is bitter ur friend has no chance of passing acca it is only for brilliant students the 2.1/ and sm 2.2. As u said he could nt graduate afta 2 extra yrs due to carry overs i suppose. He shld nt waste over £400 for reg and 4 papers and materials. He should 4get accn and go 4 lesser courses like sociology/po science. A word is enough
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by AjanleKoko: 5:55pm On Apr 27, 2010
^^
Na wa o. You just fall the guy hand sha!
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by deebsman1(m): 12:14am On Apr 28, 2010
guess he should do well, he has at least an average cgpa from a science based course. so no word of discouragent accepted here. just words of advice
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by tos(m): 10:36am On Apr 28, 2010
deebsman1:

guess he should do well, he has at least an average cgpa from a science based course. so no word of discouragent accepted here. just words of advice

I personally dont think ACCA is a good option for him if he was unable to graduate from the university. Though the ACCA track is very open to him and if he thinks he can handle it, then he should give it a try. The assumption that he will pass the exams because he has an average CGPA from a science course is invalid because of my personal experience. I thought the exams would be a "walk in the park" because I had my ICAN qualification without having to resit any paper. I had to shelve that mind set when I failed P5 (management accounting was my favourite subject before attempting this paper) and P7 at the same time even though I had access to all the necessary materials because of where I was based. I even attended a day release programme at BPP.

I can categorically tell you that ACCA is not as easy as people are making it. There are things that you can get away with in ICAN or in school exams which you can do in ACCA.
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by tboy1(m): 1:29pm On Apr 28, 2010
ACCA is not for lazy ppl & if you friend cant study hard den he should save his money because by the time he starts jacking for F8 Audit or F9 FM he'll start calculating accounts in his dreams

Also just so you know ACCA is getting saturated compared to a few years ago & the only way the board can maintain its high standards is to have the high failure rate
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by deebsman1(m): 5:18pm On Apr 28, 2010
thanks friends, accordin to what he said n what i could read, i guess i could see the determination in him, his only concern now is the oxford brookes B.SC. i.e would the degree what the stress?
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by AjanleKoko: 5:41pm On Apr 28, 2010
@all,

I think it is not for you to judge the capabilities of the person who's making the enquiry.
If you have the information the poster is requesting, provide it. Else hold your peace.

@poster,
I am sure, if the Bsc is accredited by the UK Education authorities, you can probably do NYSC. I'm not sure exactly, but you can approach NYSC directly, I'm sure.
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by deebsman1(m): 7:13pm On Apr 28, 2010
@Ajanlekoko, wise one, thanks.
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by tboy1(m): 9:34am On Apr 29, 2010
@ Poster

If he's [b]determined [/b]he should go to oxford brook

Advantage:
He will get a [b]degree [/b]while studying towards the ACCA Qualification(and hopefully pass the exams)

Goodluck smiley
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by bodrin(m): 1:46pm On Jun 25, 2010
deebsman1 u dey craze oh. ur not at all humane. if u dont have a word of encouragement u keep shut! quiet i said ok. u fit pass acca so?
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by deebsman1(m): 6:15pm On Jun 27, 2010
@bodrin, guess we need 2 approach things maturedly, especially on this forum, if you don't have answer to give, then it's beta u move on.
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by Sauron1: 6:21pm On Jun 27, 2010
deebsman1:

@bodrin, guess we need 2 approach things maturedly, especially on this forum, if you don't have answer to give, then it's beta u move on.

Don't mind them. . . . .

Tell your friend to do the ACCA and forget about Naija University.
No foreign organisation recognises the Naija University Certificate. . . . , They are as worthless as a used sanitary pad.

With the ACCA, your friend has a big chance of taking 3 courses every 6 months and passing them in flying colours.
There's no pressure and untold hardship undergraduates are made to go through in Nigeria where they are lectured in horrible conditions and they are constantly harassed by moronic lecturers. . . . .

Let him find a good school or do self-study.
Get hold of past question papers and he will pass his ACCA exams.
I am doing ACCA for kicks and i have never done anything ACCOUNTING in school. . . . . .and it's been piece of cake since.

1 Like

Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by deebsman1(m): 9:15am On Jun 28, 2010
@sauron, thanks alot.
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by deebsman1(m): 9:15am On Jun 28, 2010
@sauron, thanks alot.
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by sharpman1(m): 5:32pm On Jun 30, 2010
ednut1:

Sorry 2 say but d truth is bitter your friend has no chance of passing acca it is only for brilliant students the 2.1/ and sm 2.2. As u said he could nt graduate afta 2 extra yrs due to carry overs i suppose. He shld nt waste over £400 for reg and 4 papers and materials. He should 4get accn and go 4 lesser courses like sociology/po science. A word is enough

Nonsense!!!

what sort of post is this? How can you conclude that someone cannot pass an exam? Some people are just completely foolish angry

@OP

Your friend can successfully write the ACCA exams from scratch in 2.5 years if he's determined to succeed (and his background is not relevant to this decision). All he needs to do is to show his determination not only in words but also in ACTIONS.

I am not saying this to make him feel good, i am saying this because i know that it is possible. I know someone with a 3rd class degree (not in Accounting) and because he believed he was worth more than the class of degree he got from his school decided to write the ACCA exams.

He excelled so well that he performed better than even people with 1st class in Accounting. He finished the exams in 2.5 yrs without having to repeat ANY paper and capped it with a first class in the Oxford Brookes/ACCA BSc in Applied Accounting. He currently works as an Accountant and also teaches ACCA. No one would believe he ever made a 3rd class. Now, Accounting is second nature to him.

The ACCA exams is NOT easy or simple, but your friend can excel if he applies himself appropriately.

As for going fro NYSC with the Oxford Brookes degree, i am not certain about that because i have not seen anyone use it for the NYSC program but he can use it to apply for an MSc or MBA in the UK.

If he wants some motivation, i can arrange a meeting with the guy i talked about in person. Tell him not to give up as his destiny is in his own hands.
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by deebsman1(m): 7:09pm On Jun 30, 2010
@SharpMan, thanks, good advice. I wouldn't mind having your email or number, once more, thanks.
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by sharpman1(m): 7:24pm On Jun 30, 2010
deebsman1:

@SharpMan, thanks, good advice. I wouldn't mind having your email or number, once more, thanks.

Drop your email and i'll contact u at once
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by deebsman1(m): 8:38am On Jul 03, 2010
Deebsman@yahoo.co.uk
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by mayorde(m): 6:29pm On Jan 05, 2011
people. i am contemplating going for acca oxford brook but i hear a lot of sayings that it is not accepted by most companies in nigeria. please can anybody throw more light on this?

some even say in uk acca oxford brooke degree is not really recognised. please enlighten me.
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by haykay2005: 10:27am On Jan 25, 2011
i want more explanation on dis too.have heard it before/lets us knw if oxford brook is not acceptable
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by Holorunloseyi(m): 9:39am On Apr 15, 2012
If ACCA is reconginize in UK and Oxford Brokies is also reconginize then Why would d ACCA Oxford Brokies not accept
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by Dereformer(m): 4:19pm On Apr 16, 2012
I am really motivated by this thread,

I am seriously preparing for December 2012 Diet. I will write F7 F8 and F9 to qualify for Bsc(Applied accounting). What's more, with the discrimination of Hnd holders, OBU is the only option. Whether it is accepted in Nigeria or not is of no consequence. Come to think of it NOTHING GOOD IS EVER ACCEPTED IN NIGERIA.

I currently have HND(ACC), ACA. I can't wait to have HND(Nigeria),BSC(London), ACA, ACCA after my name.

To be sincere to you, so far i have learnt one or two things i counldn't learn in ICAN. ACCA is more in-dept.

But my question is, will my Bsc(oxford brookes) be accepted for Msc in any university in this gaddem country?

1 Like

Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by yamakuza: 6:23pm On Apr 16, 2012
1. Why not use the ACCA/OBU for masters abroad or online?

2. I know CIPM is accepted for masters in Nigeria. Why isnt ICAN accepted then?
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by achmed1(m): 6:55pm On Apr 17, 2012
I dont know bout acca but ican is accepted for m.sc finance in unilag
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by Lyrajane(m): 7:02pm On Jul 17, 2017
Acca + OBU is highly recognized provided you meet the credit point in any country in the world . AICPA - America institute of chartered public acccountants did not recognized ACCA if you do not have Univeristy degree . This is one reason why ACCA taught it needful because of its professional reputational standard to ensure ACCA students, affiliates and members do not suffer . OBU is one of the best universities in the UK if not, why will ACCA with its reputation, partner with Oxford brooks university? There are lots of benefits it offers when you have ACCA + OBU.
My advise for all of us here is that, we should try and access directly information from Accaglobal website . Do not kill people's dream but give constructive and relevant advise. I wish you all. I am calling from Switzerland and I love you all.
Re: In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) by wisebrains: 5:25pm On Nov 22, 2018
Please I have a question, I learnt that after passing the ACCA applied skill level you can opt to write Oxford Brookes University project and be given Bsc in applied accountin. Now my question is after getting the OBU degree can one apply for NYSC exemption certificate with it

(1) (Reply)

Why Can't Hnd Holders Be Employed As Academic Lecturers In Polytechnics / Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: / Remuneration Package In Government Agencies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.