Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,829 members, 7,872,784 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:50 PM

Ibibio Cuisines To Try - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Ibibio Cuisines To Try (22432 Views)

Delicious Nigerian Cuisines By Kaydeli. / Yoruba Cuisines To Try / 6 Mouth-watering European Cuisines To Enjoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by solomonita(m): 3:34pm On Mar 02, 2018
[Even if dem put poison 4 all dis soup, I go still eat am lick finger join..... quote author=Opinionated post=65495829]Located in the south eastern part of Nigeria, and one of Nigeria’s popular ethnic groups. The Ibibios are predominately found in present day Akwa Ibom State with her sister group – Efik – found in Calabar, Cross River State. Known for their excellent culinary skills, they have some of Nigeria’s delicious cuisines. So when next in Akwa Ibom or any Ibibio dominated area, try and savour any of these delicacies.

Afang Soup

Unarguably the most popular of the soups of the Ibibios. It is prepared using Afang leaves with water leaf, which are sliced in tiny pieces. Not just popular, but extremely delicious.

Ekpang Nkukwo

Traditional meal made up of cocoyam (ditto its leaves), water yam, periwinkle (aka Mfi). Not commonly cooked as it is reserved mainly for special occasions and takes time to prepare.

Editan Soup

A less known but bitter version of Afang soup. Made using Editan leaves and waterleaf. Editan soup has medicinal benefits than Afang.

Edikaikong Soup

Yet another export by the Ibibios to the world. It is prepared using pumpkin leaf and water leaves. Preferably eaten with Pounded yam or fufu.

Atama

Made from palm fruit concentrate and Atama leaves. Although, it is similar to Ofe Akwu (eaten mostly the Igbos) by the usage of the palm fruit concentrate. The difference lies in the vegetables and spices used for the soups. Of all the delicacies eaten by the Ibibios, this soup is best enjoyed with more fish, meat, snails, periwinkle than any other (Nigerians term such “obstacles”).

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/ibibio-cuisines-try/

cc: lalasticlala mynd44[/quote]
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by Baroba(m): 4:30pm On Mar 02, 2018
maisauki:
so akwa ibom and cross river states are now in south east?

Make of it what you will, there is Nothing like South South in geography, it was a term coined for political reasons in Nigeria.. Akwa Ibom and Cross River can happily be SE without been affiliated with Ndigbo if that is your concern, or be happy answering the concoction called South South grin.. Which ever one, it's still a win win situation for all.. cool

That Afang and Edikikong must rank highly as the best soup in Africa..

3 Likes

Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by Maxcollins042(m): 5:48pm On Mar 02, 2018
Try edikaikong/ekpan nkwukwo + chilled orobo. You will thank me later smiley
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by ICEMAN(m): 6:00pm On Mar 02, 2018
So you are just learning all these ones? You have not seen anything. Show me the one wey I never chop before.
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by stanvesco(m): 6:14pm On Mar 02, 2018
Zionista:

Ingredients for Afang Soup
400g sliced Okazi/Afang leaves | about 4 handfuls.
250g Water leaves.
20 to 25 cl red palm oil (about 1 drink glass)
Beef, Kanda and Dry fish.
2 tablespoons ground crayfish.
Pepper and salt (to taste)
2 stock cubes.

Are you from Akwaibom and are you presently there?
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by ImaIma1(f): 6:14pm On Mar 02, 2018
Kooldon:

I Dont See Any That Purges Excepts When You Are Using Some Ingredient That You Are Allergic To. Like Some Brands Of Seasonings

forgive me. Not exactly purging but loose stool.
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by Elder4sure(m): 6:16pm On Mar 02, 2018
Hmmm. ..... I don't want it again pls. *puke*

Bestchisom:

lol...itid na vagina.... altho some people do lick it
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by Gabflex: 6:21pm On Mar 02, 2018
DannyJ19:
Rubbish....nothing can be compared to Amala and Ewedu...shior.

remain in ur cave and miss the sweet things on the outside world.

Amala and ewedu is nothing compared to all those dish.

take it or leave it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by Kooldon(f): 6:45pm On Mar 02, 2018
ImaIma1:

Its Okey ImaIma1 Of Ibibio land. Mbok Afo Aba Mo?
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by moiaimi(f): 7:57pm On Mar 02, 2018
my favorite Ekpang Nkukwo
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by Nobody: 8:43pm On Mar 02, 2018
stanvesco:

Are you from Akwaibom and are you presently there?

Yeah, from Akwa Ibom but presently out of town.
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by Liftedhands(f): 9:12pm On Mar 02, 2018
Sansa143:
Na evrywhere u dey grin.jazzyjazz,come n carry ur soup oh grin
Lolz grin as food matter so i must rep.

1 Like

Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by Liftedhands(f): 9:12pm On Mar 02, 2018
jazzyjazz:

Hahaha
Na ekpang de hungry me now sef

Senior mama Lifted hands na everywhere you de o
I raise Beyonce hands for you
grin grin grin grin
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by stanvesco(m): 9:47pm On Mar 02, 2018
Zionista:

Yeah, from Akwa Ibom but presently out of town.

Honestly I need good akwaibom cooks..... I wish I can get at least two boys for a start..... Can we whatsapp
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by Nobody: 11:13pm On Mar 02, 2018
Liftedhands:
Lolz grin as food matter so i must rep.
Coachie,come n c ur student oh.

Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by Angel1696: 11:37pm On Mar 02, 2018
this is what I used to cook for ladies when I was in awka during my service year and they(ladies ) really gave back in return u know what I mean. shout out to all sons and daughters of akwa ibom state who can cook very well. God bless cross river and akwa ibom state.
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by MIKOLOWISKA: 12:19am On Mar 03, 2018
you sabi cook
ImaIma1:

You don't put oil at all in ataama. The palm kernel has that already.

You are right about the bolded. I always brag to my friend that she cannot say she doesn't like a particular food until after she eats it when i cook it. She always takes back her words cheesy
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by vatiqan(m): 8:52am On Mar 03, 2018
Opinionated:
Located in the south eastern part of Nigeria, and one of Nigeria’s popular ethnic groups. The Ibibios are predominately found in present day Akwa Ibom State with her sister group – Efik – found in Calabar, Cross River State. Known for their excellent culinary skills, they have some of Nigeria’s delicious cuisines. So when next in Akwa Ibom or any Ibibio dominated area, try and savour any of these delicacies.

Afang Soup

Unarguably the most popular of the soups of the Ibibios. It is prepared using Afang leaves with water leaf, which are sliced in tiny pieces. Not just popular, but extremely delicious.

Ekpang Nkukwo

Traditional meal made up of cocoyam (ditto its leaves), water yam, periwinkle (aka Mfi). Not commonly cooked as it is reserved mainly for special occasions and takes time to prepare.

Editan Soup

A less known but bitter version of Afang soup. Made using Editan leaves and waterleaf. Editan soup has medicinal benefits than Afang.

Edikaikong Soup

Yet another export by the Ibibios to the world. It is prepared using pumpkin leaf and water leaves. Preferably eaten with Pounded yam or fufu.

Atama

Made from palm fruit concentrate and Atama leaves. Although, it is similar to Ofe Akwu (eaten mostly the Igbos) by the usage of the palm fruit concentrate. The difference lies in the vegetables and spices used for the soups. Of all the delicacies eaten by the Ibibios, this soup is best enjoyed with more fish, meat, snails, periwinkle than any other (Nigerians term such “obstacles”).

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/ibibio-cuisines-try/

cc: lalasticlala mynd44
@Op, your head needs to be checked. This platform a
was supposed to be used to inform the people, but you have decided to do yours, the other way, round. All the afore listed cuisines, are traditional and exclusively, of Efik stock; but you have decided to be bias. pls tell me anywhere in Ibibioland you cld get these delicacies at optimum preparation, I'd tell you at least, 5 areas in Efikland, you cld get it well prepared.

Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by oluwashedy: 9:15am On Mar 03, 2018
delugajackson:
Oye, Oye, bari Afang!
owah!
Oye, Oye, bari Editan!
owah!
Oye, Oye, bari Ekpang!
owah!
Oye, Oye, bari Atama!
owah!
Kón Kón Kón, Okpabio!
Iyayor!

Our people say that the girl that stays beside the fire when her mother is cooking will not only taste everything that goes into the pot, she will know when the pepper and salt should enter the pot.

Shout out to all the beautiful Efik and Ibibio women both home and abroad. You all are the best among the rest.

Ibibio isoñgo!!.
Iya!

3 Likes

Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by Bestchisom(m): 8:40pm On Mar 03, 2018
Elder4sure:
Hmmm. ..... I don't want it again pls. *puke*

you never suck am before?
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by giftmurphy(f): 11:29pm On Mar 03, 2018
Cadec007:
are u an indegene?
Mixed!
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by Cadec007(m): 11:34pm On Mar 03, 2018
giftmurphy:
Mixed!
hmmmm like delta-cross, akwa-cross, akwa-delta, Ph-akwa?
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by Cadec007(m): 11:35pm On Mar 03, 2018
giftmurphy:
Mixed!
hmmmm like delta-cross, akwa-cross, akwa-delta, Ph-akwa?
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by odaniel1(m): 8:40am On Mar 05, 2018
The Afang & Edikaikong soups are so alike. I can't tell d difference. Delicacies tho!
Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by clintino700(m): 12:03am On Mar 08, 2018
Nah seen it before
Cadec007:
ur choice, nice too.........have you tasted ekpañkukwo?

1 Like

Re: Ibibio Cuisines To Try by Ewoma45(f): 4:47pm On Mar 08, 2018
ImaIma1:

exactly.....happens all d time to me but i dey chop d soup dey go.....chai! only God knows what Afang soup has done to me.

Surprisingly, i found a place to buy everything needed for afang in far far Sokoto state.The day i discovered it ehn, joy overflowed in my heart!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? / Palm Oil Stew Or Vegetable Oil Stew: Which Do You Prefer? / Over 70% Nigerian Foods Rejected Abroad - NAFDAC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.