Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,814 members, 7,879,520 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 08:35 PM

Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? (31609 Views)

Why Do Narcissist Get Angry When You Decide To Resign From Their Company / Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me / Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Greene66: 11:02pm On Mar 07, 2018
linearity:

Am curious, what is his rank after obtaining his Ph.d? I see that you mentioned ‘Other Soldier’....that is not a known military term, unless you meant ‘Other Rank’.

It is a total waste of Human Resources to be sending a Ph.d holder to the battle front as an infantryman.

A Ph.d holder is most likely a commissioned officer. And commissioned officers are still "soldiers". His dad may be a commander. Or GOC. A commissioned officer is even needed at battle more than enlisted in my opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by pooozeee(m): 11:08pm On Mar 07, 2018
Lukgaf:
I think it is high time I ask this question from Nairalanders; Every profession has Disengagement process. Please is disengagement granted for Soldiers too?

Yes very well he can resign but not when fighting book haram

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Wisebird22(m): 11:12pm On Mar 07, 2018
leonard002:
Only a chicken does that. Why did you get in in the first place?
judgein from your profile i doubt if u can even do push ups to keep urself fit come to talk of staying awake to protect those who are asleep with the hope that you are awake to gaurantee their safety.

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Bondesniger(m): 11:14pm On Mar 07, 2018
for were
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by bigplayerz(m): 11:25pm On Mar 07, 2018
Hmmm even civilians dry talk here ...abeg make una go dodan barracks see officers that have been court marshaled...and you can say what you want to...thats just a tip of d iceberg

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 11:35pm On Mar 07, 2018
olasaad:
I think they can't that's why they always ran away
I had a friend that resigned after he and his brother sold their late dad property worth 100m... he only spent 4yrs in service

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Nigeriadondie1: 11:38pm On Mar 07, 2018
leonard002:
Only a chicken does that. Why did you get in in the first place?
Lack of work

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Opoki(m): 11:41pm On Mar 07, 2018
Greene66:

A Ph.d holder is most likely a commissioned officer. And commissioned officers are still "soldiers". His dad may be a commander. Or GOC. A commissioned officer is even needed at battle more than enlisted in my opinion.

I doubt if the rank of the father is near the bolded, from his words, the guy sounded broken so its likely the father is even non-comissioned officer. I dont want to say what i know about the nigerian army for the fear of the unknown but ask any educated southerner in the NA who joined as a recruit but has the chance to study.

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Greene66: 11:53pm On Mar 07, 2018
Opoki:

I doubt if the rank of the father is near the bolded, from his words, the guy sounded broken so its likely the father is even non-comissioned officer. I dont want to say what i know about the nigerian army for the fear of the unknown but ask any educated southerner in the NA who joined as a recruit but has the chance to study.

First of all, all soldiers are educated in one way or the other. Minimum educational requirement for enlistment is SSCE and minimum for commissioning is BSC.

So someone who enlisted with bsc will be offered an direct short service course and would be awarded 2nd Lt. In the Armed Forces. Such person can never remain enlisted or non-commissioned. Let alone a Ph.d. Unless the guy himself doesn't know what he is talking about. If his dad has a Ph.d as he claimed, the father is a commissioned officer. If he isn't a GOC, he would either be a Captain or a Major. Colonels and Major Generals are in the battle field and some have Ph.d.

My point is, degree is not an exemption from battle. He is complaining that his dad with PhD is in the war front. It doesn't matter. Illiterates can't win wars. So PhD should be there.

4 Likes

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Nobody: 12:05am On Mar 08, 2018
you can resign anytime u like ,i av like two friend dat join last year ,dey were posted to borno ,after dere first leave .dey didn't go back ,if u stop dy will block ur account .u must use up to 10 years or more before u are entitled to ur pension and d more d years u use in service d more bigger ur pension ..

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by linearity: 12:05am On Mar 08, 2018
Greene66:

Not all Ph.D holders are commissioned officers. Some are other rank and retire as such or move through the ranks just like others.

Direct Short Service Course have an age limit bracket of 22 to 35 years old and caps out at a max intake of 300 cadets across all three military disciplines per year.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by 8stargeneral: 12:08am On Mar 08, 2018
Boko haram don creates panic for nigerian army...buhari en no go better for u,wetin we no suppose dey hear we don dey hear am now. 8 shocked
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Greene66: 12:14am On Mar 08, 2018
linearity:

Not all Ph.D holders are commissioned officers. Some are other rank and retire as such or move through the ranks just like others.

Direct Short Service Course have an age limit bracket of 22 to 35 years old and caps out at a max intake of 300 cadets across all three military disciplines per year.

How can an enlisted soldier attend a course to study without approval? When he is not on reserve but active duty? 80% of Nigerian Armed Forces are active duty.

Unless the soldier is retired. I agree.
But an enlisted soldier (NCO) on active duty cannot have a PhD in present day Nigeria. That's a fact. Even BSC they can't. Before they get approval for executive commission in NDA it takes grace of God. And even that, they are randomly selected by Defence HQ. They don't just wake up and go. So how did the enlisted dad get the PhD?

Let's start with that.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Greene66: 12:18am On Mar 08, 2018
babstee85:
you can resign anytime u like ,i av like two friend dat join last year ,dey were posted to borno ,after dere first leave .dey didn't go back ,if u stop dy will block ur account .u must use up to 10 years or more before u are entitled to ur pension and d more d years u use in service d more bigger ur pension ..

@emboldened

They deserted. They didn't resign. Just as you can choose not to go to work tomorrow. It's not the same as resignation. Don't confuse it.

And they would be court martialed if caught.

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Staru1(m): 12:36am On Mar 08, 2018
ItalianProf:

On the contrary,they can.My dad joined the Army in the early 90's and resigned 2007.After more than 10 years of service.
The reason why most soldiers hardly resign is because if they haven't served for atleast ten years in the army,any resignation won't require a retirement pension salary to be paid to that soldier.

you are very correct.......
recently, buhari implement nothing less than 35yrs for RRI&NDA not SSC/DSSC.
if u discharge as a soldier after 10yrs, it's resigned without any benefit from pension.
it's new policy.....
dat 10yrs, u should get to staff sergeant/ warrant officer.

so,if u resign now, it's at ur own pace

2 Likes

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Nobody: 12:36am On Mar 08, 2018
oh ok ,but my grandfather was a ex soldier ,he said u can ask for resignation after you use 10 years or so ,or u are :-Xoh ok ,but my grandfather was a ex soldier ,he said u can ask for resignation after you use 10 years or so ,or u are
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Nobody: 12:45am On Mar 08, 2018
Greene66:

@emboldened

They deserted. They didn't resign. Just as you can choose not to go to work tomorrow. It's not the same as resignation. Don't confuse it.

And they would be court martialed if caught.

ok thanks ,but i know dy can resign after 10yrs or so ,anything apart from dat ,he or she is on his own no pension or any advantage for dat personnel.
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by linearity: 12:51am On Mar 08, 2018
Greene66:

How can an enlisted soldier attend a course to study without approval? When he is not on reserve but active duty? 80% of Nigerian Armed Forces are active duty.

Unless the soldier is retired. I agree.
But an enlisted soldier (NCO) on active duty cannot have a PhD in present day Nigeria. That's a fact. Even BSC they can't. Before they get approval for executive commission in NDA it takes grace of God. And even that, they are randomly selected by Defence HQ. They don't just wake up and go. So how did the enlisted dad get the PhD?

Let's start with that.

Getting approved for a course does not waived the requirements for DSSC.

You can get your approval, get how many degrees as your heart desire, but will not be commissioned if you didn’t meet the criteria for DSSC.

Also, you only need approval if your study as a whole or partly will cut into your active service time or if you want some type of sponsorship from the military. With the advert of online degrees and NOUN, you can get a degree while fully still on active duty.

Though the above digress away from the point of the topic here, but suffice it to say that a Ph.D is possible even on active military service and that does not mean that, at the end of the day, you will become a commissioned officer.

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Greene66: 2:11am On Mar 08, 2018
linearity:

Get approved for a course does not waived the requirements for DSSC.

You can get your approval, get how many degrees as your heart desire, but will not be commissioned but you didn’t meet the criteria for DSSC.

Also, you only need approval if your study as a whole or partly will cut into your active service time or if you want some type of sponsorship from the military. With the advert of online degrees and NOUN, you can get a degree while fully still on active duty.

Though the above digress away from the point of the topic here, but suffice it to say that a Ph.D is possible even on active military service and that does not mean that, at the end of the day, you will become a commissioned officer.

Oh I think I get the point now. I had forgotten other alternatives like Noun existed.

It's sad to know such things happen in the military. I'm grateful to God my case wasn't like that.

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Opoki(m): 2:52am On Mar 08, 2018
Greene66:

First of all, all soldiers are educated in one way or the other. Minimum educational requirement for enlistment is SSCE and minimum for commissioning is BSC.

So someone who enlisted with bsc will be offered an direct short service course and would be awarded 2nd Lt. In the Armed Forces. Such person can never remain enlisted or non-commissioned. Let alone a Ph.d. Unless the guy himself doesn't know what he is talking about. If his dad has a Ph.d as he claimed, the father is a commissioned officer. If he isn't a GOC, he would either be a Captain or a Major. Colonels and Major Generals are in the battle field and some have Ph.d.

My point is, degree is not an exemption from battle. He is complaining that his dad with PhD is in the war front. It doesn't matter. Illiterates can't win wars. So PhD should be there.

Well written, this is obviously an eye opener. The bolded make a lot of sense.

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by yinnyme(m): 2:53am On Mar 08, 2018
You can leave at anytime provided your case is genuine and you are ready to weather the time the process will take. Its a voluntary job.
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by cooldipo(m): 3:34am On Mar 08, 2018
Gone awol

Deserter!
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Lukgaf(m): 4:50am On Mar 08, 2018
So i wonder those at the battle field can't resign
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Pearl05(f): 4:53am On Mar 08, 2018
iamtardey:
uncle B resigned abeg... the thing no pay baba abi Liberia war dat time no be joke lol, baba resign sharp sharp.
i go just dey look the uncle dey laugh inside and say inside 'No be by mouth to be soldier' grin

Na only for mouth you fit talk am sha. Gather liver and voice it out.

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by winj3: 6:16am On Mar 08, 2018
olasaad:
I think they can't that's why they always ran away

Rubbish,
You can if not listed for special assignment or war.

The ones that ran away are fleeing wars or engagement drafts - they are mostly igbos.
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by speedy01(m): 6:54am On Mar 08, 2018
voicelez:
The shame of being called a bloody civilian or coward makes it hard for most of them to resign but you can actually resign if you want to, my dad is a major in the army
please can you help connect with my certificate
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by honourable356(m): 7:19am On Mar 08, 2018
Lukgaf:
I think it is high time I ask this question from Nairalanders; Every profession has Disengagement process. Please is disengagement granted for Soldiers too?
The military is not an institution that once you enlisted, you can never get out until you are retired.

No no you can tender your resignation whenever you so wish. It is not a doctor or die affair but if you a very special, proven, trained and effective asset to the military, they sometimes play certain delay games in accepting your resignation because you are a highly valuable asset to them.

Wanna resign
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by RillJ(m): 7:25am On Mar 08, 2018
Nope, you really can resign from service. I have colleagues who did and I resigned from a sister organization.

slenderdude:
Yes, I did......
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by flexmony1: 7:59am On Mar 08, 2018
You can't untill after 10years . U have alternative anyway but only you know d alternative .
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by olowobaba10: 8:19am On Mar 08, 2018
YES BUT NOT WHEN POSTED ON ASSIGNMENT.
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Expsbterror(m): 9:42am On Mar 08, 2018
PatrickOkunima:

I don't think there's anywhere it's stated in the TACOS that one cannot leave within 10 years. One can retire voluntarily at any stage of his/her career, but will not be entitled to pension and gratuity if he/she serves less than 10 years. That's the provision of the current TACOS.

Infact to buttress ur point, a soldier is pensionable after 10 years in service, however a soldier can resign from the job at anytime, like anytime. Your reasons have to be convincing enough doh.
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Expsbterror(m): 9:45am On Mar 08, 2018
nkwachiabel:

NMS wah

?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

N850k Job & A Boss That Insults: Funny Replies To An Employment Question... / What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate / Corporal Fauzziyah Shoney Detained For Resigning From The Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.