Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,528 members, 7,881,792 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 09:20 AM

Dariye Impeachment Cancelled - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dariye Impeachment Cancelled (2169 Views)

Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition / How Is Joshua Dariye A Senator? - Has Efcc Exonorated Him? / EFCC And Governor Joshua Dariye of Plateau State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by Mariory(m): 5:23pm On Mar 09, 2007
So the same Dariye that has been in hiding will now come back and be State Governor for 4 weeks? This will be interesting. Will he come out of hiding?
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by IykeD1(m): 5:31pm On Mar 09, 2007
There goes my hope for Nigeria again. . . A country that believes so much
in justice that public looting of funds is condoned so as not be "unfair". Its
all about Obasanjo, I know. Things must be done "RIGHT" they say but they
can't begin to even put the "R" in front of R[b]IGHT[/b].

The story of Nigeria is dramatized in the Super Eagles during the past few
World Cups. A team filled with so much talents but one thats gets no where.
Everyone roots for them, but themselves. They keep doing the same things
but somehow expecting to get completely different set of results (insanity).

They are so talented they get your hopes so high only to crash out of the
tournaments in the first rounds. Sometimes they take it a step, they can't
even qualify. I will retreat into my shell and tell myself again that it was just
a pipe dream. Nigerians are so righteous they don't want change, the EFCC,
Ribadu, or Obasanjo can go to hell because they like their Nigeria just the
way it is.

Giving up on the country for now. . . (not on the stock market though grin)
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by angel101(f): 5:34pm On Mar 09, 2007
@ Iyke - D
I feel u bro
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by IykeD1(m): 6:35pm On Mar 09, 2007
@angel101

What else can I say, "due process" is what's reigning in Nigeria today ooo, all these years
I, the World Bank, and most observers outside Nigeria have been wrong, we thought corruption
was the country's greatest enemy, not knowing it was "due process" all along. Never mind that
that the use of the due process itself was attempted, its just that it wasn't "completely" followed,
you know, they forgot to dot all the i"s" and cross all the t"s".

Oh, and some human rights activists want the same characters apprehended after May 29?
I dare ask, by whom? By President Atiku, or the "selective" and watered-down EFCC, or the same
old agencies and personalities under which corruption has become Nigeria's trademark?

Brilliant and fair-minded Nigerians indeed, its no surprise the country is just a smashing success!
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by Afam(m): 6:58pm On Mar 09, 2007
Though a lot of of would support anything that would bring the looters to justice it is equally important that things are done right.

If 6 members of the state house of Assembly can constitute a majority in a house of over 20 members then we will be in a real mess.

Dariye has not been cleared of any looting charges, just the process of impeaching him and it is important we differentiate the two.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by babasin(m): 7:00pm On Mar 09, 2007
rule of law and due process(consistency) is the key to building stable democratic institutions.

It is buidling block for trust and lasting economic prosperity.

OBJ is chalartant.  His fake empire of anti-corrution fallen right before he leaves office.

Mind you; Abacha did more than that: failed bank tribunal and many corrupt Bank Managers where jailed but alas Abacah was the really Mccoy.

OBJ should tell us how he turned a morribond farm in 1999 to  $250,000/ month profit making farm in 2003!
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by FACE(m): 7:20pm On Mar 09, 2007
EFCC is an institution that is worth having and keeping in Nigeria. If the ACT establishing EFCC is well grounded, then there would be continuity of the institution regardless of the president at the time. EFCC should be answerable to the country and not to an individual or to a particular office. By the way, who is advocating for Atiku to be president or for EFCC to be watered down ? We should not be blinded by our emotions as to what is right or wrong.

The case before the judge was whether due process was followed in impeaching Dariye and not whether he was corrupt and the judge pronounced on the case before him. In other words he is not allowed to act outside the scope of the case before him and that should not be too difficult to understand. What ought to be is different from what is. People should stop wishing that the judiciary should act as both the prosecutor and adjudicator at the same time.

We have all seen how office holders easily hide under some immunity to loot public funds. An organisation like EFCC is powerless with regards to prosecuting them while in office, but that should not make lawmakers resort to gangstarism. We should be advocating for the removal of such immunity from them to enable accountability and smooth sailing of the rule of law.

It is only in the military that few are able to hold many to ransom. This is a democratic setting and we should all support the rule of law as no knows who might be the ultimate beneficiary of a strong and just judiciary in the future.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by otokx(m): 8:49pm On Mar 09, 2007
There is more to this.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by saintchux(m): 12:24pm On Mar 10, 2007
I am very glad that justice has been done once again. I have always stressed that while I do not support corruption, due process should be followed.

The constitution provided all the ways that an elected officer who have immunity should be prosecuted. Why not follow it.

The problem we have is that OBJ want to be seen as champion in fighting corruption. so he used all means whether constitutional or not to to fight it.

Dariye is corrupt, yes I agree, but follow the due process to prosecute him. If 2/3 of the house of assembly can not impeach him, then wait till may 30th 2007. Why in hurry, that is OBJ's problem. Because he is in hurry to prosecute corrupt officials. Those been prosecuted are now been seen as heroes rather than corrupt.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by babasin(m): 1:13pm On Mar 10, 2007
The problem with Nigeria is that they believe 'CORRUPTION' only has to do with money!!!

This is very wrong.

For the House/EFCC not following 'due process' they are corrupting the system; thus they are corrupt.

Definition of Corruption:

--> Departure from what is legally, ethically, and morally correct
--> Decay; rot.
--> Degrading, immoral acts or habits
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by babyx(f): 8:28pm On Mar 11, 2007
tell me about a court ruling dat cant even identify an excon when he appears ibn court wit nigerians denying their own names, Dariye is no where to b found, am currently a corper in Plateau n no1 seems to knw his hid out, d man wont come out of hidding d fear of EFCC has become d begining of wisdom, smiley
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by ono(m): 2:25pm On Mar 12, 2007
Corruption flows in the blood of the average Nigerian. He thinks, dreams, drinks and eat corruption. Nothing is new.

We all know that Dariye was unjustly removed from office by the hawks at Aso Rock. We all read about the persecution this guy faced in London and right here in Nigeria from the hands of blood-thirsty demons in Aso Villa. The courts have ruled that he should be re-instated. Let that be and let peace reign.
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by lawenjins(m): 9:45pm On Mar 14, 2007
yes the court has reinstated Dariye , but i want to know , where was he when the EFCC was looking for him the police said he was not in there costody. has he gone to God knows where?
hear me now; reinstating Dariye back to the Plateau is like inviting chaos into the Tin city,
Re: Dariye Impeachment Cancelled by sirc(m): 5:44pm On Mar 17, 2007
we all know that dariye and those who impeach him are no saints.but 4 GOD sake in this country let things be done the right way.where is it heard that 8 member forma two third of ahouse of 24.it realy very disheartening.i guess our judiciary system is waking upto its responsiblities.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Attorney General, Micheal Aondoakaa, May Mess Up Yar Adua / This Is Why Biafrans Are Leaving Ndu_chuks And Junaid Muhammed / Photos:sir Gabriel Igbinedion At 80th Birthday Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.