Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,547 members, 7,892,207 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 08:33 AM

Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? (19967 Views)

Should I Accept The New Job Offer? / Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by histemple: 10:47pm On Mar 10, 2018
LadyHeaven:

This guy said it all, trust me if you go to that company all may not be as your dad envisages, he hopes that the familiarity would boost your chances of moving up the ladder but it may even draw you back and everything you achieve would automatically be seen as Nepotism or Mmamadu as my ppl would say, overfamiliarity breeds contempt you have seen the warning sign early never be afraid to be your own man...All the best

I am the CEO of my company but believe me, the moment you override my Manager simply because you know me, you can never work with us. I would rather recommend you to some other organizations.

The moment I read that the father called the CEO when he already discussed with the GM, I saw the problem.

Serious business owners don't even like employing persons that are closely related, let alone one that is already showing signs of abusing that privilege because of familiarity.

I made that mistake in the early years of my company. I employed the younger sister of my friend as the receptionist in one of our branches.

My friend would call some days to "inform" me that the lady will be late or won't come at all because of certain emergencies. One day, I asked the branch manager to sack her and get someone else.

I referred her to another organization and helped her get a job there. Immediately all the stupidity stopped.
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by bejeria101(m): 10:52pm On Mar 10, 2018
My dear its your life and not your dads! Weigh your options,pray and make that correct decision! Time is of the essence.
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by leslier: 10:58pm On Mar 10, 2018
accept it, then move on. wait lets here your pale's side of the story on here
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by sfinkzslot(m): 11:16pm On Mar 10, 2018
sfinkzslot:

peace of mind.
Is key!!!
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Nobody: 2:22am On Mar 11, 2018
ikihealthplus:
Sorry for the long read,

I finished service Dec 2017 and got a job in the state I served, was excited and told dad, dad told me he doesn't like that one that he wants me to work in a firm (he has some contacts there)

Although I knew the Gen. manager Coz I worked with him in 2015 for a few months. Meanwhile dad got a job for my younger sister in that same firm. I told dad that I won't want to wait beyond February since he was certain I'll get the job, he assured me. January passed, met the CEO and he said he'll get back to me in a month's time, prior to meeting the CEO, I had already called the manager and told him that I'm almost done with service, he said I should come meet him in January, old dad, my dad said I shouldn't meet him that I should meet the CEO, so I obeyed. So when I met the CEO, he called the manager in my presence, I had this awkward feeling but I kept my cool, the manager told him I've worked with him before. So they said they'll get back to me. a month passed and I kept going to and fro to hear their feedback but nothing was forthcoming,

Met the GM, he told me March but no specific date and told me the salary I was to be paid, I was OK with it, towards the end of February I sent an email to the CEO that I haven't heard from him and got no reply, had to visit the firm. Met the GM and he said I should meet the CEO, while waiting to see the CEO, he told the security man to tell me to see the GM, he was told I've seen him and he told the security to tell me to go home, I got sad and told dad that I'm fed up that I need to go to where I'm needed not where they think they're doing me a favor, dad sent and called both GM and CEO an SMS and calls resp but got no reply.

Meanwhile I travelled to go and secure a job in the state I served, my sister now called me that the GM told her to tell me to come see her, I felt awkward Coz I chat with him on WhatsApp and visit him often so why wasn't I called directly? I came back, went straight to see the GM and he told me the CEO has changed his mind about my salary that about 33% was slashed from it, that I should start with it.

Meanwhile the other job I got was a better offer with good incentives, dad wants me to work in that firm but I told him I'm not accepting the job but he's insisting, pls I need your advice Coz I need a place where I can work with peace of mind.

Please, help me push it to FP
think long term
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by SmartyPants(m): 3:30am On Mar 11, 2018
ikihealthplus:
Sorry for the long read,

I finished service Dec 2017 and got a job in the state I served, was excited and told dad, dad told me he doesn't like that one that he wants me to work in a firm (he has some contacts there)

Although I knew the Gen. manager Coz I worked with him in 2015 for a few months. Meanwhile dad got a job for my younger sister in that same firm. I told dad that I won't want to wait beyond February since he was certain I'll get the job, he assured me. January passed, met the CEO and he said he'll get back to me in a month's time, prior to meeting the CEO, I had already called the manager and told him that I'm almost done with service, he said I should come meet him in January, old dad, my dad said I shouldn't meet him that I should meet the CEO, so I obeyed. So when I met the CEO, he called the manager in my presence, I had this awkward feeling but I kept my cool, the manager told him I've worked with him before. So they said they'll get back to me. a month passed and I kept going to and fro to hear their feedback but nothing was forthcoming,

Met the GM, he told me March but no specific date and told me the salary I was to be paid, I was OK with it, towards the end of February I sent an email to the CEO that I haven't heard from him and got no reply, had to visit the firm. Met the GM and he said I should meet the CEO, while waiting to see the CEO, he told the security man to tell me to see the GM, he was told I've seen him and he told the security to tell me to go home, I got sad and told dad that I'm fed up that I need to go to where I'm needed not where they think they're doing me a favor, dad sent and called both GM and CEO an SMS and calls resp but got no reply.

Meanwhile I travelled to go and secure a job in the state I served, my sister now called me that the GM told her to tell me to come see her, I felt awkward Coz I chat with him on WhatsApp and visit him often so why wasn't I called directly? I came back, went straight to see the GM and he told me the CEO has changed his mind about my salary that about 33% was slashed from it, that I should start with it.

Meanwhile the other job I got was a better offer with good incentives, dad wants me to work in that firm but I told him I'm not accepting the job but he's insisting, pls I need your advice Coz I need a place where I can work with peace of mind.

Listen boy! A man does not take directives from any other nan on how to live his life, even if its his father. Plot your own course.
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by johnnychuks(m): 7:38am On Mar 11, 2018
there is no place to work in nigeria with pease of mind as far as this country is concern! Our job security is dead here.
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Okoyeochapaul(m): 8:02am On Mar 11, 2018
dnt listing to ur dad and sist. Go bck to the state u said did ur service and secured a work and start working
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by frozen70(f): 10:23am On Mar 11, 2018
ikihealthplus:
Sorry for the long read,

Forget about them and follow your mind ,they never wanted to give you the job but due to pressure from your dad they decides to give you one but slash the salary wthat wasn't even enough fro the onset.
Your sister is already working with them so all of you can't be there to avoid competition.
Thank God you already have one at hand stay there tell your dad that you are OK with what you have ,tell the gm and CEO that you have gotten one and you are already working with them.
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by seyiade26: 12:33pm On Mar 11, 2018
Please listen once again. Simply ask yourself who between your father and us want you to be better than them; and you will have your answer.

These explanations you gave here should be for your dad not us. Go and discuss and iron out the matter with your parents. Please don't listen to bad advice and peer pressure �...
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Ceenacks(m): 1:11pm On Mar 11, 2018
?
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by LadyHeaven(f): 4:25pm On Mar 11, 2018
histemple:

I am the CEO of my company but believe me, the moment you override my Manager simply because you know me, you can never work with us. I would rather recommend you to some other organizations.

The moment I read that the father called the CEO when he already discussed with the GM, I saw the problem.

Serious business owners don't even like employing persons that are closely related, let alone one that is already showing signs of abusing that privilege because of familiarity.

I made that mistake in the early years of my company. I employed the younger sister of my friend as the receptionist in one of our branches.

My friend would call some days to "inform" me that the lady will be late or won't come at all because of certain emergencies. One day, I asked the branch manager to sack her and get someone else.

I referred her to another organization and helped her get a job there. Immediately all the stupidity stopped.

Mr CEO...respek grin
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Mar 11, 2018
what if the firm is trying to test your patience hence they intentionally slashed it
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Lawman84: 12:42am On Mar 12, 2018
It's simple, look at the the career path of the two places and make your choice. Also, it's better to be a big fish in a small stream where your impacts are felt than being a small fish in a mighty ocean where nobody will notice you.
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by 400billionman: 9:18am On Mar 13, 2018
ikihealthplus:
tnx bro
There are many work places who can't employ two close relations siblings or husband and wife. it is a prominent work place policy among banks oil companies and international organizations, seems your dad has a big influence on the said firm.
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by stonecoldcafe: 10:45am On Mar 13, 2018
ikihealthplus:
Sorry for the long read,

I know this type of work. Come today, go tomorrow, call MD, call CEO, sibling sef dey work there, intended salary slashed all of a sudden. Hmm
Work when e be like say dem dey you favour get as e be. Not one you got on your own merit
Oh well follow your mind.
In other news, i don't really get this my father this, my father that for a whole young man who has graduated and finished serving sef
follow your mind bros

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

#nairalife: The Makeup Artist Staying Hopeful At ₦50k/month / FG Sacks 30 N-Power Beneficiaries In Adamawa / My Brother Was Sacked And Duped By A Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.