Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,323 members, 7,888,022 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:42 PM

Proceedings Of The Nigerian Senate Of Wednesday, 14th March, 2018. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Proceedings Of The Nigerian Senate Of Wednesday, 14th March, 2018. (395 Views)

Buhari’s Ability To Speak English Dominate Tribunal’s Proceedings / FHC Cannot Stop Or Stay Proceedings Of The CCT - Justice Onnoghen 5th Feb, 2016 / Oby Ezekwesili Blasts NASS: "Senate Of Scandals, Fat Allowances, Tragi-Comedian" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Proceedings Of The Nigerian Senate Of Wednesday, 14th March, 2018. by NaijaNewsPapers: 6:52pm On Mar 14, 2018
Below is the proceedings of the Nigerian Senate for Wednesday 14th March, 2018.
Read more below:

Welcome to a new Legislative Day in the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria!

Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, led the Principal Officers into the chambers; took the official prayers; and began the day’s proceedings at 11:02am.

Senator Tijjani Kaura moved for the approval of votes and proceedings of Tuesday, 13th March, 2018. Senator Mohammed Hassan seconded.

EXECUTIVE COMMUNICATION

Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki read a letter from Mr. President on the confirmation of appointment of Mr. Edward Adamu as Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria replacing one of the deputy governors who retired december in 2017.

Confirmation of nomination by Senate Leader.

That the Senate do consider the request of Mr. President C-n-C on the confirmation of the nomination of the following persons for appointment as members of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria in accordance with the provisions of Section 12 (1)(4) of the CBN Act, 2007.

Professor Adeola Festus Adenikinju
Dr. Aliyu Rafindadi Sanusi
Dr. Robert Chikwendu Asogwa
Dr. Asheikh A. Maidugu

Minority Leader seconded that the Senate do consider the request of Mr. President C-n-C on the confirmation of the nomination of the above persons for appointment as members of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria in accordance with the provisions of Section 12 (1)(4) of the CBN Act, 2007.

Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki referred the confirmation of nomination to the committee on Banking to report back in 1 week.

Confirmation of nomination by Senate Leader

That the Senate do consider the request of Mr. President C-n-C on the confirmation of the nomination of Mrs. Aishah Ahmad for appointment as Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria in accordance with the provisions of Section 8(1)(2) of the CBN Act, 2007.

Minority Leader seconded that the Senate do consider the request of Mr. President C-n-C on the confirmation of the nomination of Mrs. Aishah Ahmad for appointment as Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria in accordance with the provisions of Section 8(1)(2) of the CBN Act, 2007.

Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki referred the confirmation of nomination to the committee on Banking to report back in 1 week.

ANNOUNCEMENT

Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki announced Senators: Matthew Urhoghide, Stella Oduah, Ahmed Ogembe, Ali Wakili , Gbolahan Dada, Yahaya Abdullahi as members and senator Peter Nwaoboshi as Chairman of the Delegation to condole with the family of late Senator Professor Sunday Osarumwense, the people and Government of Edo State.

PETITIONS

Senator Bassey Akpan raised a petition on behalf of a constituency member on unlawful disengagement from the Nigerian Police

Senator Emmanuel Bwacha raised a petition and says the Joint Christian Reform and Operation & PACT, is coordinated by the military. Churches are worried that soldiers have started breaking into houses and beating up civilians.

Senator Barau Jibrin also raised a petition on behalf of a constituency member.

Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki referred the petitions to the committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions to report back in 2 weeks

POINT OF ORDER

Senator Dino Melaye cited orders 42 and 52, said a law established by the Kogi State government has given the Vigilante group more power than the Nigerian Police thereby reducing the power of the Police Force in Kogi State which is against the Nigerian Constitution. Suggests that the Senate should look into it and direct the relevant Security Agencies to do something about it.

“I rise to support the motion. Unfortunately it is Kogi again, this is something that must be looked into especially the importation of illegal arms.”- Senator Godswill Akpabio

“We as a nation should stop everything we are doing to focus on the security of individuals. People are discouraged and have lost all confidence in security in Nigeria. Peace has seized everywhere.”- Senator Emmanuel Bwacha

“We have to be careful and restore the public confidence in security. I think we should address the issue in every State that is affected by the same problem.”- Senator Magnus Abe

“I rise to the suggestion of State Police, the security agencies have been over stretched and are not well coordinated.”- Senator Ike Ekweremadu.

Senate resolved that:

The committee on Security and Intelligence should meet with National Security Adviser to investigate and invite the Attorney General to look into the law.

PRESENTATION OF BILLS- First Reading

National Board for Technical Education (Repeal and Re-enactment) Bill, 2018 (SB. 560) by Senator Barau Jibrin.

National Board for Technical Education (Repeal and Re-enactment) Bill, 2018 (SB. 560) was read the First Time.

Leadership and Training Centre Act (Amendment) Bill, 2018 (SB. 642) by Senator Abdullahi Gumel.

Leadership and Training Centre Act (Amendment) Bill, 2018 (SB. 642) was read the First Time.

National Commission for Colleges of Education Act (Repeal and Re-enactment) Bill, 2018 (SB. 561) by Senator Barau Jibrin.

National Commission for Colleges of Education Act (Repeal and Re-enactment) Bill, 2018 (SB. 561) was read the First Time.

Federal College of Education Act (Repeal and Re-enactment) Bill, 2018 (SB. 562) by Senator Barau Jibrin.

Federal College of Education Act (Repeal and Re-enactment) Bill, 2018 (SB. 562) was read the First Time.

MOTION

Demise of His Excellency, Alhaji Aliyu Akwe Doma (OON) by Senator Suleiman Adokwe.

“He is a true gentleman in politics. I wish we had more people like him. May his soul Rest In Peace.”- Senator Barnabas Gemade.

Senate resolved to:

I. Observe a minute silence in respect of the Late Alhaji Aliyu Akwe Doma former Governor of Nassarawa State; and

II. Send a delegation to condole with the Government and people of Nasarawa State over this great national loss.

“I had the opportunity to serve with him as a Governor from 2007 to 2011. He was a great leader and he was outspoken on key issues. He will be greatly missed.”- Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki

CONSIDERATION OF BILLS- Second Reading

A Bill for an Act to repeal the Raw Materials Research and Development Council Act CAP R3 LFN 2004 and re-enact the Raw Materials Research and Development Council Act and for relate matters, 2018 (SB. 593) by Senate Leader

“This Bill is very timely, I support the Bill to be read a second time and I urge my colleagues to do the same.”- Senator Adamu Aliero

A Bill for an Act to repeal the Raw Materials Research and Development Council Act CAP R3 LFN 2004 and re-enact the Raw Materials Research and Development Council Act and for relate matters, 2018 (SB. 593) was read the Second Time.

Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki referred the Bill to the committee on Science and Technology to report back in 4 weeks.

A Bill for an Act to amend the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria Act CAP F18 LFN 2004 to provide for the establishment of national stations in each geo-political zones, Abuja and Lagos to enhance the efficient service delivery of the corporation and for related matters, 2018 (SB. 517) by Senator Umaru Kurfi.

“This Bill is technical and I rise to support the Bill to be read a second time.”- Senator James Manager.

A Bill for an Act to amend the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria Act CAP F18 LFN 2004 to provide for the establishment of national stations in each geo-political zones, Abuja and Lagos to enhance the efficient service delivery of the corporation and for related matters, 2018 (SB. 517) was read the Second Time.

Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki referred the Bill to the committee on Information and National Orientation to report back in 4 weeks.

A Bill for an Act to provide for public service efficiency and for related matters, 2018 (SB. 610) by Senator Aliyu Sabi

“Public servants must be accountable. I recommend this Bill to be read a second time.”- Senator Yahaya Abdullahi

A Bill for an Act to provide for public service efficiency and for related matters, 2018 (SB. 610) was read the Second Time.

Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki referred the Bill to the committee on Establishment and Public Service Matters to report back in 4 weeks

A Bill for an Act to establish the Counseling Practitioners Council of Nigeria to conduct qualifying examination, regulate the counseling profession and for related matters connected there with, 2018 (SB. 636) by Senator Isah Misau

A Bill for an Act to establish the Counseling Practitioners Council of Nigeria to conduct qualifying examination, regulate the counseling profession and for related matters connected there with, 2018 (SB. 636) was read the Second Time.

Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki referred the Bill to the committee on Establishment and Public Service Matters to report back in 4 weeks

A Bill for an Act to establish the National Institute of Construction Technology and Management, Uromi, Edo State to produce middle and high level manpower for the nations economic and industrial growth in the areas of construction technology, applied sciences and management sciences and other related matters, 2018 (SB. 630) by Senator Clifford Ordia.

“I rise for this Bill to be read a second time as this will increase the manpower needed in the country.”- Senator Francis Alimikhena

“It is a very thoughtful idea for more manpower.”- Senator Barnabas Gemade

“I believe that this will improve the youth enablement for employment. I support this Bill.”- Senator Philip Gyunka

A Bill for an Act to establish the National Institute of Construction Technology and Management, Uromi, Edo State to produce middle and high level manpower for the nations economic and industrial growth in the areas of construction technology, applied sciences and management sciences and other related matters, 2018 (SB. 630) was read the Second Time

Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki referred the Bill to the committee on Tertiary Institutions and TETFUND to report back in 4 weeks.

A Bill for an Act to establish the Nigeria Coast Guards and for other matters connected therewith, 2018 (SB. 579) by Senator Yele Omogunwa.

“I rise for the enactment of this Bill and I support the Bill to be read the second time.”- Senator Barau Jibrin

A Bill for an Act to establish the Nigeria Coast Guards and for other matters connected therewith, 2018 (SB. 579) was read the Second Time.

Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki referred the Bill to the committee on Marine Transport to report back in 4 weeks

A Bill for an Act to repeal the patents and design Act CAP P2 LFN 2004 and enact the patents Act 2018 to provide for the protection of inventions and other related matters, 2018 (SB. 630) by Senator Andy Uba.

“I rise to support this Bill as this will protect the patent and design right in the country.”- Senator Barau Jibrin

A Bill for an Act to repeal the patents and design Act CAP P2 LFN 2004 and enact the patents Act 2018 to provide for the protection of inventions and other related matters, 2018 (SB. 630) was read the Second Time.

Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki referred the Bill to the committee on Trade and Investment to report back in 4 weeks.

ADJOURNMENT

Senate Leader moved that all other items on the order paper be stood down to another Legislative day. Minority Leader seconded.

Plenary is adjourned to Thursday, 15th March, 2018.

#GavelBangs.

Signed:

New Media Department,

Office of the President of the Senate,

Federal Republic of Nigeria.

http://www.naijanewspapers.com.ng/2018/03/proceedings-of-nigerian-senate-of.html

(1) (Reply)

Peace Corps: Buhari Is Right! / Why Prevent Journalist From Entering Dapchi? / Gov Okowa: Changing The Political Narratives In Delta State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.