Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,269 members, 7,887,785 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 01:47 PM

How To Make My Dog Bark? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How To Make My Dog Bark? (84311 Views)

Cops Bark Like Dogs, Trick Burglary Suspects Into Surrendering / Nairalanders Pls Help My Dog / How Do I Make My Font Colour Pink (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make My Dog Bark? by goldenray(m): 2:15pm On Mar 11, 2007
My Dog Wont Bark O!

I have this half breed Alsatian/local dog that will not bark no matter what i do.

Iit is about 6 months old now, quite big for his age but too playful. It never barks at anyone, be it a stranger or not. Not even welcoming barks for me!

What could be wrong? Any idea on how to make a dog start barking and be less friendly?
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by ayomajek(f): 2:18pm On Mar 11, 2007
Veterinary Advice:

There is nothing you can do. Either it barks or it doesn't. It is a matter of personality. If you are tired of the dog give it away. But you can't MAKE it bark. That is like saying 'How can I make my child shout at people?'

Hope this helps.
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by goldenray(m): 2:49pm On Mar 11, 2007
Is dat really true? dogs are s'posed to bark ain't they? Its like you have a child that stammers, it sure does have a remedy. its not as if te child is dumb. after all, the dog wimpers, growls and kinda shrieks too. Someone just told me a local therapy is to cut a strand off the Dogs hair and mix it with his food to eat. this is sposed to make it aggressive. Dont see any sense in that1 but what the hell! I'll do it and see. Suggestions people?
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by ayomajek(f): 3:01pm On Mar 11, 2007
I have given you my professional advice.

But since you want an answer at all costs: beat it constantly until it becomes so frightened that it will automatically bark and bite anybody who comes near it.

But I have to warn you that that is cruelty and abuse. And you will be bitten, and the dog will bite lots of people and put you in trouble.

Like I said, if you dont want a quiet dog, give it to somebody else and buy a new one. No be by force.

This is the main reason why I have abandoned the clinic and gone into research, people will never believe you if you don't tell them what they want to hear.

2 Likes

Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by goldenray(m): 3:11pm On Mar 11, 2007
Are you a vet doc.? "nyways, can't beat a dog to bring a bark out of it. Well, if there's really no solution to it as you say, i guess he'l just perform his pet functions and forget about being around for security reasons. Not conclusive yet sha as you might be suprised what some indigenous strategy might do as compared to western methods. Looks like you don dey forget say remote control dey for africa? grin thanks anyway. any tips on dog training?
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by ayomajek(f): 3:18pm On Mar 11, 2007
Now you are talking. The fact that the dog doesn't bark all the time doesn't mean it cannot protect you. The most important thing is the bond/affection between the animal and its family. We once had a dog that followed a guy around for 30 minutes before biting him. But he still bit the guy. Not all dogs are as sharp as the others.

By all means try traditional methods but I think you will end up with the same result. My Grandma knows a lot about traditional remedies for veterinary use but they are geared towards health problems, rather than a change in personality. Hypnotising a dog so it barks sounds like a complete waste of time.

There are professional dog trainers that you can hire, mostly from the police or the military and they are good. But you have to make a commitment to REGULAR training, it won't work if it is a matter of come today, no come tomorrow.

Good luck and enjoy your dog.
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by goldenray(m): 3:28pm On Mar 11, 2007
Thanks. Time will be the judge.
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by fatliar(m): 8:15pm On Mar 11, 2007
i once had one useless dog like, dat she doesn't bark when she sees stranger or new faces or old d best thing she could do is to shake

her tail or runaway . u cant force it to bark, so if u r not satisfied u could give it out or whatever
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by alabiyemmy(m): 9:53pm On Mar 11, 2007
maybe u arent barking enough - or you have barked at it too much that he/she thinks you do it better??

1 Like

Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by Seun(m): 8:02pm On Apr 07, 2007
We once tried to get a playful male dog of ours to bark by being cruel to it. It did not work. We tried it again with a tiny female puppy that barked a little but not so much. I didn't work, but the dog became a sad dog. cry

The veterinary doctor has spoken the truth. Either your dog barks, or it doesn't. A happy dog that doesn't bark is better than a tortured dog that is afraid of everything. Please, I'm begging you, do not torture that dog! cry

Our current dogs are very playful and happy dogs, but at the same time they bark a lot. It's just luck.
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by fluppi(m): 10:16pm On Apr 07, 2007
why would somebody hit a dog just to make it bark?

If you like your dog and it likes you, it will protect you even without barking. My dog never barked, lol grin
i dont even know how it would sound, undecided
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by okwanuzo3(f): 11:45pm On Apr 07, 2007
we had a dog like that when i was younger, he was extremely spoiled and would only ever bark if u had his food in your hand but took too much time to let him have it, (otherwise he'd welcome everyone wagging his tail even strangers. People were however scared off by his size). You could try our method, see if you have any luck.
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by Seun(m): 11:49pm On Apr 07, 2007
How is making the dog bark over food going to cause the dog to bark at strangers?
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by IBEXY(m): 11:02am On Apr 08, 2007
That has gotta be a "gentleman" dog.
Let sleeping dogs lie o.
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by okwanuzo3(f): 1:24am On Apr 09, 2007
Seun:

How is making the dog bark over food going to cause the dog to bark at strangers?
the topic poster's dog doesn't bark at all, he's trying to get it to bark not just at strangers.
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by rock2(m): 6:04pm On Apr 09, 2007
Once had a dog that wouldn't bark too. The following helped

One, house the dog in a cage where it will see nobody.

Two, get a second dog that barks
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by Seun(m): 2:36am On Apr 10, 2007
Getting a second dog that barks seems like a good idea, but I don't know about the first suggestion.
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by bluenubian(f): 2:43am On Apr 10, 2007
keep him away from visitors and strangers so he know how to differentiate a friend from a foe, curiosity will bring out the "BARK" in your dog.

1 Like

Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by goldenray(m): 10:23am On Apr 10, 2007
One, house the dog in a cage where it will see nobody.

Two, get a second dog that barks

Sounds like a solution. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by Maneater1(f): 1:02pm On Apr 10, 2007
CATS RULE!!!! and sogs droll. tongue
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by Maneater1(f): 1:03pm On Apr 10, 2007
CATS RULE!!!! and dogs droll. tongue
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by Rhea(f): 1:35pm On Apr 10, 2007
Keep the dog in an area of your compound where people seldom pass. The dog is too playful probably because it's used to seeing lots of people. Don't let ot lose again except when it's pressed (you'll know when it starts whinning).

Also reduce the amount of food you give to the dog (if you're overfeeding the dog). Twice a day/once (heavy) is recommended.

I am no vet. But this has worked for me before. Should do for you too, even though six months sounds like a bit too late for this. But try shaa.
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by nico(m): 12:38am On Apr 11, 2007
the easiest way is to grab the dog by it's balls and sure enuff it will bark

1 Like

Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by adechuks(m): 3:07pm On Apr 11, 2007
All these suggestions may not work,

I think upgrading the dog's OS can help a bit.

Just do the following, i'm sure your dog will bark.

1. Install Service Pack 6a on your dog, preferrably in the middle of the night
2. Reboot after installation. Remove the network cable (tail ?) while doing this.
3. Enable firewall.

And your dog is like new!

3 Likes

Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by Tornadoz(m): 10:40am On Apr 12, 2007
That was funny
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by MP007(m): 9:44am On Apr 13, 2007
simple, work on its tail !!!!
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by Baxilexi(m): 9:59am On Apr 13, 2007
Hey you have a you have a dog withfinesse and your complaining, what about mine that would bark at a baby, anyways when its feeding time show the dog its food and then put it on its kennel and walk away it must bark n.b. don't feed for 23 hours before.
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by Maleeq(m): 4:10pm On Apr 14, 2007
For a sure solution, follow the sequence of steps below:

1. Castrate the dog(preferably without Anaesthetics)

2. Get a full grown female french poodle in heat.

3. Watch out yourself, cos the dog would flip and do more than just bark(even @ u) when it realises its "ding-a-ling" dont work no more!

You can thank me later.

1 Like

Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by uzygirl(f): 3:28am On Apr 16, 2007
Take the dog to Warri, give am "Ogogoro" drink.
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by numbers: 9:56am On Apr 16, 2007
am a Dog master n ve always kept dogs, every dog can be made aggresive it all depends on how u raise it,to get it to bark isolate it in a kennel away from visitors view and every other person in the house let it out only @ night when everyone is gone to bed and feed it only in the morning, do this for three months and even if its a " Nigerian shepherd grin grin"it will start barking, gd luck
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by timmy(m): 3:53am On Apr 22, 2007
An easy way out is to keep the dog away from people for a while. Like in a dark kernel. Just you feeding it. After a while itl start barking
Re: How To Make My Dog Bark? by simmy(m): 5:22pm On Jun 25, 2007
LMAO! this thread was so so so hilarious
Damn!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Big Python Almost Killed A Lady Cooking In Her Kitchen In Edo (Photos) / This Man Kills Big Water Python In His House In Lagos At Midnight (photos) / Don't Kill Yourself If You Are Like This Donkey (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.