Stats: 3,174,159 members, 7,890,927 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 01:41 AM

President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead (31728 Views)

See What Really Killed Sani Abacha & President Umaru Yar'adua / Musa Yar'adua Is The New President Of Nigeria! / Yar'Adua Is Die (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by Wendell(m): 2:04am On May 06, 2010
[b]
[b][/b]Nigeria President Yar'Adua dies after a  long illness. Nigerian President Umaru Yar'Adua, long plagued by poor health, has died at age 58, almost three months after his vice president assumed control of Africa's most populous nation, Yar'Adua's spokesman said.

Yar'Adua died at 9 p.m. (2000 GMT) Wednesday at the Aso Rock presidential villa with his wife Turai at his side, presidential spokesman Olusegun Adeniyi told The Associated Press, his voice cracking with emotion. Adeniyi did not give a cause of death.

A Muslim, Yar'Adua will be buried on Thursday, Adeniyi said.

Yar'Adua took office in 2007 in a country notorious for corruption and gained accolades for being the first leader to publicly declare his personal assets when taking office — setting up a benchmark for comparison later to see if he misappropriated funds. But enthusiasm for his presidency waned as time passed and he made no headway in fighting entrenched corruption.

He had tried to peacefully end an insurgency in Nigeria's oil-producing Niger Delta that had attacked the petroleum infrastructure, allowing Angola to overtake Nigeria as Africa's no. 1 oil exporter. Those efforts frayed after Yar'Adua became gravely ill.

Yar'Adua went to a Saudi Arabian hospital on Nov. 24 to receive treatment for what officials described as a severe case of pericarditis, an inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart that can cause a fatal complication. He failed to formally transfer his powers to Vice President Goodluck Jonathan, sparking a constitutional crisis in Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation with 150 million people.

Jonathan assumed the presidency Feb. 9 after a vote by the National Assembly while Yar'Adua was still in Saudi Arabia. Lawmakers left open the possibility for Yar'Adua to regain power if he returned to the country in good health. He returned on Feb. 24 but never reappeared in public and did not assume power again.

Charles Dokubo, an analyst at the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs, said Yar'Adua would leave a mixed legacy. Dokubo said many would remember how Yar'Adua never fulfilled his promises of increasing power supplies and fixing the nation's shaky electoral system.

Yar'Adua, a soft-spoken former chemistry professor, was propelled into Nigeria's highest through flawed elections but it marked the first time a civilian won the presidency from another civilian in a nation once plagued by military coups.

As president, Yar'Adua was also unable to stem religious violence that has long plagued Nigeria.

The country is split between the Christian-dominated south and its Muslim north. The country's "middle belt," where dozens of ethnic groups vie for control of fertile lands, has become an epicenter of violence where more than 500 have died since the beginning of the year in tit-for-tat massacres of Muslims and Christians. Politics, jobs and land often motivate the killings.

Yar'Adua was committed to ending the violence in the oil-rich Niger Delta, where the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta had been attacking oil installations, kidnapping petroleum company employees and fighting government troops. MEND began its fight in January 2006 to protest the unrelenting poverty of people in the Niger Delta.

The unrest had cut Nigeria's oil production by about a million barrels a day. Yar'Adua started formal peace talks earlier this year with MEND and met with Henry Okah, the group's longtime leader. The entreaties drew more than 8,000 militants into surrendering their arms as part of a government amnesty program.

"The general amnesty I extended to all militants in the Niger Delta has led to the laying down of arms and a return of peace," Yar'Adua said in October. But militants later resumed attacks, saying the government had failed to own up to its commitments under the amnesty like sharing the nation's oil wealth with the delta.

Born into one of Nigeria's best-known political families in northern Nigeria in 1951, Yar'Adua earlier worked as a chemistry professor at a university in his home state of Katsina. He became Katsina's governor and later emerged as the consensus pick among the ruling Peoples' Democratic Party, run by then-President Olusegun Obasanjo, a former military dictator.

The 2007 presidential election was meant to end a cycle of military takeovers while cementing democratic rule with Nigeria's first-ever peaceful transfer of power between civilian rulers. International observers said the vote was rigged. Thugs stole ballot boxes and electoral officials thumb-printed stacks of voting cards with police looking on. However, Yar'Adua wasn't widely considered to have arranged the stolen vote.

"We acknowledge that our elections were not perfect and had lapses and shortcomings," Yar'Adua said in his May 29, 2007, inaugural address. "I also believe that out experiences represent an opportunity to learn from our mistakes."

That admission alone offered a break from the bluster that characterized Yar'Adua's predecessors, including some of Africa's most famous "Big Men." Many in Nigeria hailed his announcement that he would be a "servant-leader."

While a careful approach to governance distinguished Yar'Adua from his predecessor, it failed to move the machinery of government and the public soured on the president as electric power remained scarce and blocks-long gasoline queues remained common in Nigeria's major cities.

Yar'Adua also fell ill repeatedly. He flew away on long overseas trips to Germany and Saudi Arabia, where he availed himself of first-class medical treatment for his chronic kidney ailments. Meanwhile Nigerians saw little improvement in their own country's hospitals and health care system.

Even after Yar'Adua moved into the presidential palace, Aso Rock, many of his family members continued living in the modest family compound where Yar'Adua was born. He leaves behind his wife, Turai, and nine children
[/b]
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by Princek12(m): 2:09am On May 06, 2010
Dear Sir/Madam
I am sure that you have heard about the death of Nigeria's president Yar'adua, for it is the headline on every major news network in the world. Unfortunately, Mr. Yar'adua died without writing a will, and he is survived by his wife. His wife will inherit some of his property and wealth according to the laws of Nigeria. However, the manager of First Bank of Nigeria, PLC has just notified me that President Yar'adua  has the equivalent of $50,000,000 (fifty million US Dollars) in his bank account, and that he did not list any next of kin. According to the laws of Nigeria, therefore, since he did not list any next of kin, the money will pass to his successor in interest.

I have talked to the Bank Manager and he told me that I am the successor in interest to any of President Yar'adua's assets, including financial assets, but that I have to sign several paperwork to expeditiously effectuate the transfer to me, the successor in interest. Please keep this matter confidential, for disclosing to any third party this information may affect the transfer of the funds to my bank account.

The manager has also informed that we need to some funds to effectuate this transfer, and therefore I need to remit to him as soon as possible the sum of $100,000 (one hundred thousand US dollars). Once you send me the $100,000, I will sign the necessary paperwork and transfer the money to your foreign account, whereupon you can deduct your $100,000 plus your $10,000,000 (ten million US dollars) which is your commission for being a partner.

Thank you very much. I hope that you will act swiftly within the next 24 hours, for every time wasted can severely jeopardize this transaction. The manger of First Bank of Nigeria, PLC will contact you insofar as needed to collect any relevant information that is pertinent to this transfer. Your full cooperation is required.

Sincerely,

Alhaji Al Rabin Tal Wa lal
Successor in interest to his excellency, President Musa Yar'adua
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by AloyEmeka5: 2:09am On May 06, 2010
I am hearing another rumor that he will resurrect after 3 days. Our legs are crossed until 3 days is over.

Sign

Turai.
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by Iceugwa(m): 2:13am On May 06, 2010
I guess obj would be laughing. If hand picked him to worsen his health
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by Nobody: 2:15am On May 06, 2010
So sad. I dont believe in RIP though.
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by mistakay: 2:18am On May 06, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

I am hearing another rumor that he will resurrect after 3 days. Our legs are crossed until 3 days is over.

Sign

Turai.

Aloy imagine the day you die and some guys start making fun of you while your body is still warm.Heartless
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by Tuyis: 2:21am On May 06, 2010
Farewell Mr. President. Don't forget to torment those who turned you into a freak show.

Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by moonraker(m): 2:28am On May 06, 2010
damn from MIA to DIA
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by Rastamann: 2:28am On May 06, 2010
I hope Turai and her cabal and kitch cabinet will now rest. She only made the man make a death record in Nigeria as the first domocratically elected president to die while in office. May his soul rest in peace, Amen.
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by Nobody: 2:31am On May 06, 2010
Dis is a Sad news indeed.RIP LATE PRESIDENT.IN D LAST 2 MONTH NIGERIANS LOST 2 GREAT MEN> CEO DAGRIN AND NOW PRES.YARADUA.MAY THEIR GENTLE SOUL REST IN PEACE.AMEN.
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by kabukabu(m): 2:44am On May 06, 2010
This is the reason you undergo serious physical evaluation to be considered for a presidential run in most countries,not Nigeria however just one photo of you on a treadmill will do, He was sick from the start but selfishly chose power instead.
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by bgees(m): 2:48am On May 06, 2010
Yar' Adua has been dead a long time . How can a dead man die?
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by danwilliams111: 2:52am On May 06, 2010
MAY PRESIDENT YAR ADUA SOUL REST IN PEACE.

ONE OF THE FEW GOOD LEADERS NIGERIA HAS EVER HAD.

the first leader to publicly declare his personal assets when taking office.

His poor health great affected his effectiveness as the President.

REST IN PEACE MR PRESIDENT.
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by icycool84: 2:56am On May 06, 2010
I can just see Nollywood getting busy.

Turai is a recently widowed,over-ambitious 1st lady.Ibro is a charming,gap-toothed widower and ex-president with an unquenchable thirst for power.

Their insatiable luv of public office amongst other similarities(1st lady daughters)brings them 2geda and they attempt to defy common sense and reasoning to be restored to their former glory. He as President and she as Lady Boss of the Kitchen Cabinet.

A story of luv,lust or plain stupidity?GRAB UR COPY NOW!!!!! LWKMD
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by drrionelli(m): 2:59am On May 06, 2010
I have only moments ago learned of your country's President's passing.

To all Nigerians, my personal sympathies and condolences, as well as those of my country, are extended to you. cry
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by OAM4J: 3:01am On May 06, 2010
ok. Yaradua, rest where ever you are in whatever condition you deserve.

He has died too many times before now, so it's time for Nigeria to move on.
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by Omolulu(m): 3:12am On May 06, 2010
Rest in Peace Umaru Musa in the comfort of our God,

We prayed and hope u wud make it, but God decides all men's fate before time,
All men must die but once, Rest in Peace dear friend cry cry
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by igboboy1(m): 3:15am On May 06, 2010
So those pastors and imam that visited him couple of months ago were lying? religious leaders are disappointing in this country
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by ReachRich(m): 3:17am On May 06, 2010
may his gentle soul RIP.
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by Osama10(m): 3:18am On May 06, 2010
igbo boy:

So those pastors and imam that visited him couple of months ago were lying? religious leaders are disappointing in this country

God just wanted to shame the a%% holes.
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by wudd: 3:18am On May 06, 2010
abegi, the guy wasnt a victim of any system, jare, he knew the system and embraced it, he died, period. its just like a guy that sees an electric transformer and decides to hug it, then he dies and u say "awww, he was a victim of the transformer", really?!, he had been sick before he came into power. instead of resting, he decided to step into power, and dont tell me the people around him pushed him, he isnt a kid.
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by wudd: 3:38am On May 06, 2010
igbo boy:

"pastor or imam" doesn't mean they cant say black is blue, depends on who called em "God or money", grin
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by greenlabel: 3:39am On May 06, 2010
Any partriotic Nigerian in his or her right senses, and does not poccess a spirit of animalism, will know better thandisrespecting the dead. For goodness sake, wasnt this president better than those who have ruled before?  Please lets stop all this rubbish and respect the Dead. RIP Mr President, you did your best and set good examples for others.
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by icycool84: 3:40am On May 06, 2010
becomrich7:

May his soul rest in peace.

Yar adua was a victim of the nigeria system. I once said. That Yar adua must be careful. Yar adua brother Musa was lost to the system and Now Yar Adua. I pity the family.

What a wicked world. I said he should be careful. May his soul rest in peace. Yar adua was naive man. He believe every nonsense some of this people told him. Some of them have a wicked heart. The bible says the heart of men is wicked, who knows it.

I wish Turai all the best. Abdullahi be a man, my friend. kai giko.

What a pity.

Pls Umoru was not a victim of anything. He cannot be completely exonerated. Anybody that can willfully wine and dine with James Ibori amongst many other hardened criminals shd be held accountable for the things that fall apart around them.

This is what happens when you make one bad decision after another and allow the people around you dictate to u esp when u're the head. I doubt posterity will judge him well, because he honestly didn't achieve anything. His widely evangelised 7-point agenda never really took off.

I hope we can all learn
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by solaONI: 3:56am On May 06, 2010
Truly #1.
He had become the first civilian leader in Nigeria
to take over from another after winning controversial polls in 2007.
The former chemistry teacher was also the first
Nigerian leader for 40 years to be university educated. , BBC
where r we heading to now.
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by chukwudi01: 3:59am On May 06, 2010
Too soon? grin

Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by wudd: 4:00am On May 06, 2010
icycool84:

Pls Umoru was not a victim of anything. He cannot be completely exonerated. Anybody that can willfully wine and dine with James Ibori amongst many other hardened criminals shd be held accountable for the things that fall apart around them.

This is what happens when you make one bad decision after another and allow the people around you dictate to u esp when u're the head. I doubt posterity will judge him well, because he honestly didn't achieve anything. His widely evangelised 7-point agenda never really took off.

I hope we can all learn

Chairman, God bless you.

@ solaONI , i dont know oh,
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by platinumnk(f): 4:01am On May 06, 2010
I cant belive this crap I'm reading.
The Man (who has been brain dead for far too long) has done absoutelyshit! for this country
And you people dey cry like mumus
Abeg cry some more then,  since the man was great, may you be blessed with another leader JUST LIKE HIM

tossman: who said the dead have any dues? did hitler recieve any good treatment after his death? did nero? did stalin? what good do these dead men deserve when their actions or inactions lead millions of others to their death?

why must poor people be made to feel sorry when big man dies whereas when poor people die en masse nobody notices

pls this guy was so incompetent, his wife was hopeless, his ministers were hoodlums. on his watch nigeria was taken back 5 centuries and you want me to weep for him?

i got relatives and friends to weep for. if i must weep.

if i shed a tear for this man, i must have borrowed it from a crocodile  angry

My friend i could kiss you for this comment. Good riddance to BAD rubbish!

Foolishness! angry
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by Tuyis: 4:01am On May 06, 2010
It is sad to know that his mother is still alive to witness the death of yet another son. What a burden.
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by Omolulu(m): 4:04am On May 06, 2010
platinumnk:

The Man (who has been brain dead for far too long) has done absoutelyshit! for this country
Abeg cry some more then,  since the man was great, may you be blessed with another leader JUST LIKE HIM

Foolishness! angry
Shut the hell up, yes he was incompetent, but then he's dead, let those who want to mourn do it and shut the hell up, this is not the fashion thread, fool  angry

Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by solaONI: 4:06am On May 06, 2010
Y the hurry in swearing in GJ. Is that a piece of advice from the NSA or did the deadline date of UMY leak out from the cabals.
This whole thing is like a fictional movie to me.
Re: President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead by OgidiBoy(m): 4:08am On May 06, 2010
platinumnk:

Abeg cry some more then, since the man was great, may you be blessed with another leader JUST LIKE HIM

Foolishness! angry

At least pay a little respect to the dead nah!! The man was somebody's son and father. sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Anambra central senatorial Election: Dora Akunyili (APGA) vs Chris Ngige of ACN / Friday Makama Attacked By Thugs At Kogi House Of Assembly Complex (Photos) / 38 Months Workers Salary: I Know We Have Goofed – Edward Onoja

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53