Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,449 members, 7,917,371 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 02:21 AM

Britsh Based Nigerian Athlete Begs To Represent Nigeria At Commonwealth Games - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Britsh Based Nigerian Athlete Begs To Represent Nigeria At Commonwealth Games (406 Views)

Athletes Representing Nigeria At Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022 (Full List) / Meet Amon Okechukwu : 1 Legged Nigerian Athlete That Can Jump Over Cars - Photos / Nigerian Coach And Two Athletes Disappear At Commonwealth Games (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Britsh Based Nigerian Athlete Begs To Represent Nigeria At Commonwealth Games by TreMain: 11:05am On Mar 31, 2018
Nigeria-British athlete, Mike Edwards who represents UK has begged the IAAF to allow him compete for Nigeria in the upcoming Commonwealth games.

Mike Edwards represented UK, 9 years ago, at the 2009 European Jr Championship, which he considered as a very proud achievement and milestone in his sporting career, which was his first and last major game.

The athlete said he received info from IAAF last week stating that he is ineligible to compete for Nigeria since he has been competing for UK.

He wrote;
"9 years ago I represented Great Britain at the 2009 European Jr Championship “9 YEARS AGO” A very proud achievement and milestone in my sporting career - Yesterday, I received a call from the IAAF World Athletics Club who informed me that in spite of British Athletics accepting my request to transfer allegiance to Nigeria, the Jr. Championships I competed at when I was (19 years old) makes me ineligible to represent Nigeria at the Commonwealth Games...
Now if this was just about me cool. I’ll take the hit, I've had people TRY stop me from my passion in the past - But it’s bigger than me. It’s for the CULTURE!!! �� It’s been 50 years since a male Nigerian High Jumper has represented at the Commonwealth Games and I’m right here in Gold Coast, Australia 10 days away from the competition and IAAF wants to give me this B/S - where is the ethos? I mean isn’t this what sports is all about? Making a difference, breaking barriers, pride of a nation? Yes? No?

God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers �� I’m gonna do my best with #TeamNigeria to fight this."

He added;
No shame. I’ll stand here everyday until IAAF World Athletics Club makes a change. It’s wrong what they’re doing. I’ve come too far. I’ve sacrificed way too much to fold at the Commonwealth Games. Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games
As a law abiding dual citizen of Great Britain and Nigeria I should have every right to represent #TeamNigeria regardless if I chose to represent my birth country GB almost a decade ago, at a Jr. level Championship.
Is this what Athletics has come to IAAF ?? People behind the desk dictating on innocents athletes wanting to give back to their respective countries, but you can allow Ex-drug cheats to represent at every Major Championship including the Olympic Games - to sell more tickets (yea that part) don’t get me started, it’s just pathetic.
I may not be the most decorated athlete in the world but I’m resilient.
Remember it’s been (9 YEARS) since my last major Championship. I don’t quit easy... This sign is a representation of the levels I’m willing to take it too. I just want to compete. Call me back IAAF ☎️

The People’s Champ

#whateverittakes #TeamNigeria — at Gc2018 Athlete’s Village"

https://www.gistrealm.com/britsh-based-nigerian-athlete-begs-to-represent-nigeria-at-commonwealth-games/

Cc lalasticlala
OAM4J

1 Like

Re: Britsh Based Nigerian Athlete Begs To Represent Nigeria At Commonwealth Games by GavelSlam: 11:35am On Mar 31, 2018
He has a point though.
Re: Britsh Based Nigerian Athlete Begs To Represent Nigeria At Commonwealth Games by Zonacom(m): 11:51am On Mar 31, 2018
Is the Nigeria Athletic Committee interested in his service? They should wade in

(1) (Reply)

Arsenal To Miss Out On Dembele's Signature / Rohr Releases The Final 23-man List Of Super Eagles Players For Russia 2018 Cup / Palestinian FA Chief Ask Fans To Burn Messi's Shirts And Jersey's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.