Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,828 members, 7,889,744 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 07:28 PM

Black Panther: First Movie Shown In A Saudi Arabian Movie Theater In 35 Years - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Black Panther: First Movie Shown In A Saudi Arabian Movie Theater In 35 Years (613 Views)

I Just Produced My First Movie Guys. I'm Excited! / Rachel Bakam Releases 'Land Of Opportunity', Her First Movie / Top 5 Best Home Theater In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Black Panther: First Movie Shown In A Saudi Arabian Movie Theater In 35 Years by Hapikojie79: 9:02pm On Apr 06, 2018
Black Panther will be the first movie shown in a Saudi Arabian movie theater in 35 years. Yes, you read that right. shocked shocked

On April 18, Saudi men and women will be able to attend the screening at a swanky new theater in Riyadh featuring 500 leather seats and marble bathrooms. Choosing Black Panther was perhaps a no-brainer: It’s already raked in $1 billion worldwide to become the 10th-highest-grossing film of all time. It’s also a deeply enjoyable movie.

But it’s also a little ironic that a brutally repressive regime that consistently violates human rights has chosen to showcase a film that champions gender equality and cultural and racial diversity.

Heck, viewers will even be able to watch scenes where women drive cars.

The announcement that Riyadh will screen the superhero flick is another indicator that Saudi Arabia is changing — and it wants people to notice. The kingdom announced it would open movie theaters last December. AMC Theaters — which owns the cinema that will show the first Black Panther screening — plans to build 100 theaters across 25 cities in Saudi Arabia by 2030.

That’s a massive shift. Saudi Arabia started closing movie theaters after it embraced an extremely conservative interpretation of Islam in 1979. The recent decision to reopen theaters to the public was a massive blow to the country’s religious establishment: Saudi Arabia’s highest-ranking religious authority, Abdul Aziz Al Sheikh, warned against the “depravity” of commercial theaters in January 2017.

Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Culture also said that movies shown in the country “will be subject to censorship according to media policy standards of the Kingdom, stressing that will be in line with values and principles in place and do not contradict with Sharia Laws and moral values in the Kingdom.”

But Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the de facto leader of Saudi Arabia, says he wants to modernize his country. He told 60 Minutes in March that opening theaters was one part of his decades-long campaign to do just that. Still, Saudi Arabia is a country that treats women as second-class citizens, that is committing severe war crimes in Yemen, and that beheads prisoners.

So keep in mind: Allowing citizens to watch Black Panther is one thing. Making Saudi Arabia a Wakanda-like place to live is another.

Re: Black Panther: First Movie Shown In A Saudi Arabian Movie Theater In 35 Years by sirusX(m): 9:33pm On Apr 06, 2018
This is Haram tongue

But seriously, I wonder why people would take religion to the extreme that they shut down all possibilities life has to offer

Re: Black Panther: First Movie Shown In A Saudi Arabian Movie Theater In 35 Years by ayourbamie: 1:05am On Apr 07, 2018
Do they have olosho and brothel in these Muslim"s countries?

(1) (Reply)

Essential Features In A Reality TV Contract :bbnaija In Focus / Please What sites can i download movies with my laptop / The TRIGGER Podcast.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.