Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,292 members, 7,881,077 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:58 AM

Kanu Nwankwo Denies Contesting For Nigeria’s 2019 Presidential Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kanu Nwankwo Denies Contesting For Nigeria’s 2019 Presidential Election (304 Views)

Oladotun Akinsiku Contesting For Councillorship In Ondo State (Photos) / Cyril Oshiomhole, Adams Oshiomhole’s Son, Contesting For House Of Representative / Atiku/PDP Branded Campaign Vehicles For 2019 Presidential Election Flood Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Kanu Nwankwo Denies Contesting For Nigeria’s 2019 Presidential Election by Newshelm: 2:29pm On Apr 09, 2018
Former Arsenal star and captain of the Super Eagles of Nigeria, Kanu Nwankwo has distanced himself from the rumours making the rounds on the internet that he is campaigning for the 2019 presidency, saying he does not know where and how his name has been linked to the race for Aso Rock Villa.

Goal wrote an ‘April Fools’ article revealing that the former Super Eagle was inspired to follow in George Weah’s footsteps to help provide a better life for his fellow countrymen.

But despite the article stating it was an April Fool joke, and it being written by “Loof Lirpa”, it was taken seriously by multiple media outlets who then reported on it as fact.

This then generated heated argument across several media platforms on whether the former Champions League winner had what it takes to lead the country.

But in a chat with Goal, Kanu is shocked at the way the ‘April Fool’ article quickly went from hoax to fact.

“This is meant to be a joke but people haven’t seen it that way,” he told Goal.

“I think there is a need to inform them that it is just April Fool.

“My immediate concern is using my vast contacts and experience to develop the Nigerian youth through sports.

“I also want to keep saving lives through the Kanu Heart Foundation.”

In the same vein, Nigerian Guardian also quoted the ex-footballer, fondly called Papilo, as saying that he was surprised to see his poster on the Internet campaigning for the Presidency.

Speaking in Lagos on Friday, Kanu said: “I have not in any capacity announced such ambition. I do not know where such story emanated from.

“As a Nigerian, I will be glad to be in such a position if it is God’s will. I also will make official declaration if such idea comes my way. At this point in time I am not seeking any political position.”

Kanu was in Lagos for the launch of the Ultimate Football TV Reality Show, which he was unveiled as the ambassador.

He said his desire to be part of the project was because part of the proceeds from the programme would be used to fund the Kanu Heart Foundation, adding that the Ultimate Football Fan TV Reality Show will also help in increasing the awareness of the game at the domestic and international levels.

http://newshelm.ng/kanu-nwankwo-denies-contesting-for-nigerias-2019-presidential-election/

cc lalasticlala mynd44

(1) (Reply)

Presidential Weekly Television/radio News Feature Programmes "From The Villa" / Shippers’ Council Partners Oyo, Chinese Investors For N72b Dry Port Projects / OMG!!! Thugs Invade Nigerian Senate, Steal Mace.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.