Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,047 members, 7,963,401 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 11:15 AM

Nigerian Youths; The Future Seems Bleek? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Youths; The Future Seems Bleek? (931 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen VS Awgu (enugu State) Youths: The Army Was Very Swift, See Why! / Sokoto Youths Sweep Jonathan, PDP Leaders Out-of-state - Pic / Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Youths; The Future Seems Bleek? by Nobody: 1:10pm On May 13, 2010
YOUTHS, LEADERS OF TOMORROW? undecided undecided
BY Nuzo

How do we transform mere power into justice, mere sentiment into love? The answer I find in law books don’t always satisfy me-for every Brown v. Board of Education, I find a score of score of cases where conscience is sacrificed to expedience or greed
-Barack Obama

In governance today, personal interest have overtaken the general interests of the people- of which the later is the main purpose of seeking to represent/govern any group of people. In developed countries, young people are being urged to bring their vigour to nation building. It’s rather unfortunate that the reverse is the case in our country Nigeria. To buttress my point, recently, Hon. Members of the House of Representative proposed an amendment regarding age qualification-see section 65 (1b) of 1999 constitution, probably to suit their own interests and not the interest of the youths and the general population. This amendment in respect of age qualification for a seat in the House of Representative- which has hiked from 30 years to 35 years irrationally and without any constitutional reference or backing from supposedly members of high repute. It’s becoming clear to all that this selfish act is not only borne out of greed and fear of democratic change but also out of crass ignorance of the fact that younger, educated and well traveled people are more likely to bring about positive changes than most of the old dudes who would fight to an end to maintain status quo.

Younger men and women tend to have more zeal to tackle corruption head on as they’ve not been too involved with the system to be corrupt, hence can fight the ills of our society to a standstill. The same cannot be said of the old and recycled politicians who have been looting our treasury since time immemorial. Younger people have traveled more and lived in underdeveloped, developing and developed environments hence have basis for comparison. Their findings now triggers the malnourished political will lacking in Nigeria to check, balance and make developmental policies for the appropriate authorities without fear or favor.

However, one cannot overlook the fact that younger people have because of circumstances contributed to the decay in our system. They have in one way or the other allowed themselves to be used as assassins, political thugs, ballot boxes snatchers and people being used to perpetuate violence as in the case of religious and ethnic crises in some parts of our country. Worst of all is their fear of victimization to stage a peaceful protest when necessary.

As we continue to speak out against this senseless abuse of power and irrational behaviour behind this new amendment, I want to use this opportunity to commend older compatriots like Wole soyinka, Dora Akunyili, Rt, Hon. Nnamani, Aminu Masari, Ade Bakare, Chinua Achebe, Col. Musa Umar, Dr. Okonjo-Iweala among many. These people have in one way or the other upheld the truth even though it might have been originally triggered by their own personal ideology -which we may never know.

I have started an autobiography which will highlight my experiences growing up, my life in Nigeria and my sojourn across the borders. I will also highlight the differences and similarities; the lifestyle and their effects, the political, religious and social challenges facing these environments and how we can learn from their success and failures. I won’t leave out my love life…lol.

I want to use this opportunity to thank all my fans and supporters online (nairaland.com, facebook and Nigeria village square.com) and on ground for their strong faith in me while the familiarization/1st phase of the campaign lasted. I want to thank all my friends and acquaintances for believing and others for not believing in me, and those who were quick to join the movement as soon as they noticed the momentum and my burning desire to serve. I’m indebted to all the members of family (close and distant) for their love and moral support during my campaign, though the fear of my safety was evident in their eyes.

I will continue to reach out to our people by listening to their problems and helping in any way I can.

Nuzo
Re: Nigerian Youths; The Future Seems Bleek? by otawa: 2:44pm On May 13, 2010
I will continue to reach out to our people by listening to their problems and helping in any way I can.

Good luck but in Nigeria we know how it always end.

The politicians get richer and the masses poorer.
Re: Nigerian Youths; The Future Seems Bleek? by udezue(m): 4:44pm On May 13, 2010
Well written and said but its hard to trust Nigerian politicians. How old are you?
Re: Nigerian Youths; The Future Seems Bleek? by Nobody: 10:46am On May 19, 2010
otawa:

Good luck but in Nigeria we know how it always end.

The politicians get richer and the masses poorer.

We can only stop this trend if you and I would stop being wussies and stand on our feet for once. . . lol.

udezue:

Well written and said but its hard to trust Nigerian politicians. How old are you?

31 years. Do you also have problem with that?. . . haha.
Re: Nigerian Youths; The Future Seems Bleek? by honeric01(m): 12:08pm On May 19, 2010
And under what party are you running?
Re: Nigerian Youths; The Future Seems Bleek? by marvix(m): 12:17pm On May 19, 2010
This is a brilliant way to start your campaign even though majority of us here may not be from Bayelsa or ur constituency but if we all bring worthwhile suggestions, and encouragement it would go a long way in building a new order. Most people dont realise that this office you have chosen to run for is very critical infact more critical than the office of the President or Governors.

I will be watching out for you on this forum and when the time is right even if its only N1,000.00 I am able to contribute I would gladly contribute to your campaign and would be prepared to mobilise from wherever I am to campaign with you without any compensation.

If truly the youths want a bright future, they must be a part of creating that future and they cant be a part of it if they cant play the politics, so no matter what it takes "BE PREPARED".
Re: Nigerian Youths; The Future Seems Bleek? by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 25, 2010
marvix:

This is a brilliant way to start your campaign even though majority of us here may not be from Bayelsa or your constituency but if we all bring worthwhile suggestions, and encouragement it would go a long way in building a new order. Most people dont realise that this office you have chosen to run for is very critical infact more critical than the office of the President or Governors.

I will be watching out for you on this forum and when the time is right even if its only N1,000.00 I am able to contribute I would gladly contribute to your campaign and would be prepared to mobilise from wherever I am to campaign with you without any compensation.

If truly the youths want a bright future, they must be a part of creating that future and they cant be a part of it if they cant play the politics, so no matter what it takes "BE PREPARED".

Thanks for the promise Marvix. I do appreciate that some Nigerian youths like you are ready to take the bull by the horn.
I will keep you informed as events unfold.

You might also want to start showing your support by joining these pages.

(1) (Reply)

Obj, Grandfather Of Corruption –reps / Best Nigeria President / Time Has Come For Gej To Leave The Stage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.