Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,689 members, 7,902,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 July 2024 at 12:10 AM

How To Invest In Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / How To Invest In Treasury Bills In Nigeria (1001 Views)

Leave My N10m In My Savings Account Or Invest It In Treasury Bill? / How Do I Invest In Treasury Bills In Nigeria? 2019 Guide / Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Invest In Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Donraqh(m): 11:20am On Apr 14, 2018
How to invest in treasury bills in Nigeria. I'm here to teach you yet another interesting topic that will guarantee your financial success if towing the part of financial literacy is what you desired.

The rate at which Nigerians embraced financial securities in the past decade or more is no longer what's obtainable today probably owed largely to global economic melt down that hit the world at large in 2006 or so.

However, I deem it necessary to educate you on the impact of financial security to your life at whatever level you may think of.

Ever since the capital market crumbled, few Nigerians with reliable information on investment have continued to rake in profit from this same market and are not ready to stop anytime soon. "Who no want make money?"

What differentiates you from these few individuals is information, no wonder they say "information is power" and you beat that.

If you are ready to join the band wagon, kindly go through this article and do yourself a great favour by imbibing on the guidelines and instructors therein.

I'm committed to showing you how  to make money investing in treasury bills in Nigeria.

WHAT IS TREASURY BILLS?

Treasury bills are short-term maturity promissory note, issued by the federal government to the public as a primary instruments for raising funds to undertake its projects and as well regulating money supply in circulation. The federal government normally issues treasury bills through the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). Unlike the usual shares, treasury bills in Nigeria is normally traded for less than one year, typically three months, you will get back your funds.

How possible is it that the federal government will borrow money from the public when the oil money is there? The truth is that federal government can run out of fund, like it's not a news that at some points in this country last year the federal government could not pay salaries not to talk of releasing allocations to the State government. Some many factors led to that as such one of those things that could compel the federal government to borrow from the public.

BENEFITS OF TREASURY BILL

1. Treasury bills in Nigeria is risk free, this is an investment you cannot be afraid of. It doesn't go bad, you are lending your money to the federal government who must pay back at all cost.

2. Interest on treasury bills is paid up front: You are being paid the interest immediately you invest, then wait for the maturity date to collect your face value. Name any security that will pay you interest upfront on investment and I will wait. That's the beauty of treasury bills in Nigeria.

FEATURES OF TREASURY BILLS IN NIGERIA

1. there's a discount while interest is earned upfront.

2. It's used to raise short term funds to bridge seasonal/temporary gaps between receipt and expenditure of government.

3. It is a negotiable instrument: This is a document that contains guarantee or promise to pay a specific amount of money to a person or entity in possession of the instrument, whether on a specified date or on demands.

4. Assured yield and low transaction cost: Interest is guaranteed with less effort, it's a duty bound investment.

5. Fixed rate of interest

6. Maturity date, this is the date the investment tenure is expected to expire, usually 91 days, 182 days and 364 days.

7. Treasury bills in Nigeria are now  issued in electronic form.

ADVANTAGES OF TREASURY BILLS IN NIGERIA

Short term investment: The investment period is usually short within 91, 182 and 364 days.

Risk free: You can happily go home and sleep with your two eyes closed.

Can be used as loan collateral: You can use the treasury bills certificate to obtain loan from the bank as collateral. This is most acceptable collateral by banks.

It encourages individual investors: You can venture into it without much thoughts.

Monetary policy tool: Government uses treasury bills in Nigeria as a way of moping up funds in circulation from the public to reduce/ control inflation.

HOW LONG CAN MY INVESTMENT LAST IN TREASURY BILLS?

It's usually within 91, 182 and 364 days.

WHEN IS TREASURY BILLS SOLD IN NIGERIA?

It's usually sold bi- weekly.

HOW DO YOU CALCULATE TREASURY BILLS IN NIGERIA?

I= P × R/100 ×T/365

Example: Say you invested N1000000 at the rate of 12% for 364 days

Answer:

I= 1000000 × 12/100 × 364/365

= 1000000 × 0.12 × 0.99726027

= N119,671.232

It then stands that on your investment of N1000000 one million naira at the rate of 12% for 364days you will receive N119,671.232 immediately as your interest. This is one secret business the bank will never tell you, you can actually make a lot of money investing in treasury bills in Nigeria.

WHAT IS THE MINIMUM AMOUNT I CAN INVEST

You can invest from N10,000. Initially it was scrapped, but it has returned back to status quo. In fact you can invest any amount now, but make it reasonable as your profit depends on investment.

CAN INDIVIDUAL BUY TREASURE BILLS IN NIGERIA?

Yes you can buy treasury bills as an individual.

WHAT ARE THE RATES OF TREASURY BILLS IN NIGERIA?

The worst rate can go for 12%, meaning it could be above that.

ARE TREASURY BILLS TAX FREE?

Yes, you are not expected to pay tax on your profit.

WHERE CAN I BUY TREASURY BILLS IN NIGERIA?

Just like other instruments, it has primary and secondary offer.

The primary market is through CBN which you can access through the bank.

While the secondary market is across the counter, you can access this through your stock broker.

Definition of terms.

1. Face value: This is the amount paid to the holder at maturity.

2 Discounted value: Present value of a future sum of money to be paid at a stipulated future date.

3. Interest: Difference between the face value and the discounted value.

4. Tenor: The amount of time left for the payment of the face value of the instrument. Tenure is usually expressed in days.

5. Yield: The annual income earned from an investment, expressed usually as a percentage of the money invested.

6. Rediscounting: The act of exchanged for an amount of cash adjusted to reflect the current interest rate.

7. Discount rate: The interest rate of the instrument.

8. Mark to Market: Current market value of specific maturity. This is influenced by macro economic factors and is published daily by the FMDQ.

Conclussion: Having learnt all these secrets about investing in treasury bills in Nigeria, I hereby advise you to take a positive step towards enhancing and guaranteeing your financial future. The bank will never let this secret out to you, why not take advantage of a rare opportunity. Happy financial freedom in advance.

If you think this article has helped you today, kindly reciprocate by sharing it using the buttons below. Your friends and colleagues deserve to read and take charge of their financial lives as well.

Thank you for visiting this blog.

Let's have your questions in the comment box below.

https://financengr.com/2018/04/14/how-to-invest-in-treasury-bills-in-nigeria/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Invest In Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chrisbaxtian(m): 11:31am On Apr 14, 2018
very informative

3 Likes

Re: How To Invest In Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Pentools(m): 1:10pm On Apr 22, 2018
Donraqh:
How to invest in treasury bills in Nigeria. I'm here to teach you yet another interesting topic that will guarantee your financial success if towing the part of financial literacy is what you desired.

The rate at which Nigerians embraced financial securities in the past decade or more is no longer what's obtainable today probably owed largely to global economic melt down that hit the world at large in 2006 or so.

However, I deem it necessary to educate you on the impact of financial security to your life at whatever level you may think of.

Ever since the capital market crumbled, few Nigerians with reliable information on investment have continued to rake in profit from this same market and are not ready to stop anytime soon. "Who no want make money?"

What differentiates you from these few individuals is information, no wonder they say "information is power" and you beat that.

If you are ready to join the band wagon, kindly go through this article and do yourself a great favour by imbibing on the guidelines and instructors therein.

I'm committed to showing you how  to make money investing in treasury bills in Nigeria.

WHAT IS TREASURY BILLS?

Treasury bills are short-term maturity promissory note, issued by the federal government to the public as a primary instruments for raising funds to undertake its projects and as well regulating money supply in circulation. The federal government normally issues treasury bills through the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). Unlike the usual shares, treasury bills in Nigeria is normally traded for less than one year, typically three months, you will get back your funds.

How possible is it that the federal government will borrow money from the public when the oil money is there? The truth is that federal government can run out of fund, like it's not a news that at some points in this country last year the federal government could not pay salaries not to talk of releasing allocations to the State government. Some many factors led to that as such one of those things that could compel the federal government to borrow from the public.

BENEFITS OF TREASURY BILL

1. Treasury bills in Nigeria is risk free, this is an investment you cannot be afraid of. It doesn't go bad, you are lending your money to the federal government who must pay back at all cost.

2. Interest on treasury bills is paid up front: You are being paid the interest immediately you invest, then wait for the maturity date to collect your face value. Name any security that will pay you interest upfront on investment and I will wait. That's the beauty of treasury bills in Nigeria.

FEATURES OF TREASURY BILLS IN NIGERIA

1. there's a discount while interest is earned upfront.

2. It's used to raise short term funds to bridge seasonal/temporary gaps between receipt and expenditure of government.

3. It is a negotiable instrument: This is a document that contains guarantee or promise to pay a specific amount of money to a person or entity in possession of the instrument, whether on a specified date or on demands.

4. Assured yield and low transaction cost: Interest is guaranteed with less effort, it's a duty bound investment.

5. Fixed rate of interest

6. Maturity date, this is the date the investment tenure is expected to expire, usually 91 days, 182 days and 364 days.

7. Treasury bills in Nigeria are now  issued in electronic form.

ADVANTAGES OF TREASURY BILLS IN NIGERIA

Short term investment: The investment period is usually short within 91, 182 and 364 days.

Risk free: You can happily go home and sleep with your two eyes closed.

Can be used as loan collateral: You can use the treasury bills certificate to obtain loan from the bank as collateral. This is most acceptable collateral by banks.

It encourages individual investors: You can venture into it without much thoughts.

Monetary policy tool: Government uses treasury bills in Nigeria as a way of moping up funds in circulation from the public to reduce/ control inflation.

HOW LONG CAN MY INVESTMENT LAST IN TREASURY BILLS?

It's usually within 91, 182 and 364 days.

WHEN IS TREASURY BILLS SOLD IN NIGERIA?

It's usually sold bi- weekly.

HOW DO YOU CALCULATE TREASURY BILLS IN NIGERIA?

I= P × R/100 ×T/365

Example: Say you invested N1000000 at the rate of 12% for 364 days

Answer:

I= 1000000 × 12/100 × 364/365

= 1000000 × 0.12 × 0.99726027

= N119,671.232

It then stands that on your investment of N1000000 one million naira at the rate of 12% for 364days you will receive N119,671.232 immediately as your interest. This is one secret business the bank will never tell you, you can actually make a lot of money investing in treasury bills in Nigeria.

WHAT IS THE MINIMUM AMOUNT I CAN INVEST

You can invest from N10,000. Initially it was scrapped, but it has returned back to status quo. In fact you can invest any amount now, but make it reasonable as your profit depends on investment.

CAN INDIVIDUAL BUY TREASURE BILLS IN NIGERIA?

Yes you can buy treasury bills as an individual.

WHAT ARE THE RATES OF TREASURY BILLS IN NIGERIA?

The worst rate can go for 12%, meaning it could be above that.

ARE TREASURY BILLS TAX FREE?

Yes, you are not expected to pay tax on your profit.

WHERE CAN I BUY TREASURY BILLS IN NIGERIA?

Just like other instruments, it has primary and secondary offer.

The primary market is through CBN which you can access through the bank.

While the secondary market is across the counter, you can access this through your stock broker.

Definition of terms.

1. Face value: This is the amount paid to the holder at maturity.

2 Discounted value: Present value of a future sum of money to be paid at a stipulated future date.

3. Interest: Difference between the face value and the discounted value.

4. Tenor: The amount of time left for the payment of the face value of the instrument. Tenure is usually expressed in days.

5. Yield: The annual income earned from an investment, expressed usually as a percentage of the money invested.

6. Rediscounting: The act of exchanged for an amount of cash adjusted to reflect the current interest rate.

7. Discount rate: The interest rate of the instrument.

8. Mark to Market: Current market value of specific maturity. This is influenced by macro economic factors and is published daily by the FMDQ.

Conclussion: Having learnt all these secrets about investing in treasury bills in Nigeria, I hereby advise you to take a positive step towards enhancing and guaranteeing your financial future. The bank will never let this secret out to you, why not take advantage of a rare opportunity. Happy financial freedom in advance.

If you think this article has helped you today, kindly reciprocate by sharing it using the buttons below. Your friends and colleagues deserve to read and take charge of their financial lives as well.

Thank you for visiting this blog.

Let's have your questions in the comment box below.

https://financengr.com/2018/04/14/how-to-invest-in-treasury-bills-in-nigeria/

this is highly informative. Pls can I have ur contact maybe ur email address or WhatsApp contact, need your utmost financial guidance/advice. Thanks in anticipation...

1 Like

Re: How To Invest In Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bluediesel03: 2:00pm On Apr 22, 2018
You just said, banks would not tell her customers this. Then I ask, don't you think banks will frustrate any of her customer that wish to invest in treasury bills? I need urgent reply. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: How To Invest In Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Donraqh(m): 2:23pm On Apr 22, 2018
Pentools:

this is highly informative. Pls can I have ur contact maybe ur email address or WhatsApp contact, need your utmost financial guidance/advice. Thanks in anticipation...

Glad to know you find it helpful. You can forward your mail to raphdon515@gmail.com better still visit my blog attached to my signature for further educative materials.
Re: How To Invest In Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Donraqh(m): 2:52pm On Apr 22, 2018
bluediesel03:
You just said, banks would not tell her customers this. Then I ask, don't you think banks will frustrate any of her customer that wish to invest in treasury bills? I need urgent reply. Thanks

Thank you very much for citing that observation, you see your investment is a function of your choice and decision.

No body has the right to frustrate your effort while trying to invest in treasury bills rather they could choose not to market it as that will discourage you from having a fix deposit with them.

The major problem here is information which you now have.

You have the leverage to write to CBN directly stating your frustrations if any, then see how the apex bank will handle that.

Hope my lines are not ambiguous?

1 Like

Re: How To Invest In Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 3:35pm On Apr 22, 2018
bluediesel03:

Yes they will, but it is your responsibility to insist that you want to use your money for something else. Its non of their business. If they want to force you to leave your money tell them that you think you need to involve Consumer Protection through your lawyer. Watch them begging you so fast! grin

(1) (Reply)

Easy Signup On Nigerian Online Business Forum / Let's Make Money Online -#10k Not $300 :free Tutorials Tonight - 8:pm / T-bills: Investors Storm Equities Market After CBN Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.