Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,113 members, 7,880,456 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 06:38 PM

FFK Claim On Terrorism Used As Example Of Fake News In YaliLearns - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FFK Claim On Terrorism Used As Example Of Fake News In YaliLearns (805 Views)

Diezani Allison-Madueke's House Used As COVID-19 Isolation Centre In Lagos / Jibrin Of Sudan And The Audacity Of Fake News / James Ibori Used As Example At An Anti-bribery Course Overseas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FFK Claim On Terrorism Used As Example Of Fake News In YaliLearns by jetroolowole(m): 10:12am On Apr 17, 2018
FFK Claim On Terrorism Used As Example Of Fake News In YALILearns on Media Literacy - Stop, Reflect, Verify.

QUESTION
Would you retweet this tweet from a verified Nigerian politician claiming “at least 50,000” Nigerians died from terrorism in 2017?

Yes - I would retweet this tweet.
No - I would not retweet this tweet.

SEE THE RESPONSE

Even when verified profiles of high-level individuals make claims and share them in public, that doesn't make them true. Await further clarification or request a fact-checking initiative like AfricaCheck.org to ascertain the facts from the claim. Femi Fani-Kayode, a former Nigerian cabinet minister and prominent government critic, claimed that the real death toll from terrorism in Nigeria was “at least 50,000” in early 2018. Experts told Africa Check that while defining terrorism was difficult, that figure was a gross overestimate – even according to the broadest definitions. For Nigeria to have experienced 50,000 deaths in 2017 means it would have had the most deaths ever recorded from terrorism in a single year. It would exceed the current highest record of about 10,000 recorded in Iraq in 2014.

Source: https://africacheck.org/reports/least-50000-nigerians-die-terrorism-2017/

So if you come across this, would you share or retweet FFK claim?

Event Coming Soon in Lagos. Media Literacy - Stop, Reflect, Verify.
To attend visit: https://facebook.com/events/1219905204810979/
Re: FFK Claim On Terrorism Used As Example Of Fake News In YaliLearns by Obainoneandonly(m): 10:16am On Apr 17, 2018
I would definitely retweet it
Re: FFK Claim On Terrorism Used As Example Of Fake News In YaliLearns by jetroolowole(m): 10:19am On Apr 17, 2018
Obainoneandonly:
I would definitely retweet it
Good for you sir. In the rapidly expanding and increasingly open information world in which we live, there are good and bad actors. It’s on you to commit to being a responsible promoter of reliable and credible information.
So before you share that story - STOP!

1 Like

Re: FFK Claim On Terrorism Used As Example Of Fake News In YaliLearns by Obainoneandonly(m): 10:24am On Apr 17, 2018
jetroolowole:
Good for you sir. In the rapidly expanding and increasingly open information world in which we live, there are good and bad actors. It’s on you to commit to being a responsible promoter of reliable and credible information.
So before you share that story - STOP!
story dat i ave already shared to all my whatsapp contact and on Twitter. who are you to determine which news is fake or real.he has his source,wat source do u ave
Re: FFK Claim On Terrorism Used As Example Of Fake News In YaliLearns by SalamRushdie: 10:33am On Apr 17, 2018
Even the UK govt claim that just over 7000 lives were lost to terrorist is gross under estimation
Re: FFK Claim On Terrorism Used As Example Of Fake News In YaliLearns by jetroolowole(m): 10:39am On Apr 17, 2018
Obainoneandonly:
story dat i ave already shared to all my whatsapp contact and on Twitter. who are you to determine which news is fake or real.he has his source,wat source do u ave
Use a fact-checking resource. There are several available on the web and many that are specific to what’s being reported in your region or country.

Check your biases and the biases of not just the author, but the person sending it to you. Do they have an agenda? Don’t participate in the spreading bad information.

1 Like

Re: FFK Claim On Terrorism Used As Example Of Fake News In YaliLearns by jetroolowole(m): 10:41am On Apr 17, 2018
SalamRushdie:
Even the UK govt claim that just over 7000 lives were lost to terrorist is gross under estimation
Can you proof that? There is a big different between 7000 and 50000. Do you know how many lives were lost during the 2nd world war?
Re: FFK Claim On Terrorism Used As Example Of Fake News In YaliLearns by SalamRushdie: 10:45am On Apr 17, 2018
jetroolowole:
Can you proof that? There is a big different between 7000 and 50000. Do you know how many lives were lost during the 2nd world war?

Over 80 million lives were lost in the 2nd world war ... I thinks 50, 000 is too much for now but I suspect over 18,000 lives have been lost to both Fulani and Boko Haram
Re: FFK Claim On Terrorism Used As Example Of Fake News In YaliLearns by Obainoneandonly(m): 10:47am On Apr 17, 2018
jetroolowole:

Use a fact-checking resource. There are several available on the web and many that are specific to what’s being reported in your region or country.

Check your biases and the biases of not just the author, but the person sending it to you. Do they have an agenda? Don’t participate in the spreading bad information.
who is spreading bad information? which day goes by dat you won't hear of Fulani herdsmen killing people.even today there's news abt dem killing people in taraba.so wat are you saying.I don't need a fact-checking resources to know dat d story is 100% authentic

(1) (Reply)

Stolen Mace Found By Passerby Under Bridge – Police / National Assembly Can Sit Without Mace, Falana Says / Senator Uwajumuogu:okorocha Failed To Hijack Party Congress, Says It Was Success

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.