Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,497 members, 7,951,082 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 10:09 AM

Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? (9025 Views)

MTN, Etisalat And Glo: How They Pay Their Workers - www.NigerianBulletin.com / What Nigerian Banks Pay Their Workers / Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by TeskyMan(m): 1:56pm On Sep 07, 2010
[size=16pt]NAME THEM PLS AND LET THEM FEEL THE HEAT FROM OUR KEYBOARDS.

Arik, A.I.T, Glo, go on, we are listening.
[/size]
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Iyykanu: 2:17pm On Sep 07, 2010
is GLO among too? But they claim to dash out some much. That will be wickedness as they are doing well visibly
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Sep 07, 2010
Your manager/Director can give you excellent answer to this question of your.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by upc: 9:46am On Sep 08, 2010
Infact, Iam tired of this naija employers. My boss will just mismanage the money at the end he will tell us there is no money. Pls I need a new job. If any text to arichi4love@yahoo.com
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Jarus(m): 11:02am On Sep 08, 2010
Iyykanu:

is GLO among too? But they claim to dash out some much. That will be wickedness as they are doing well visibly
Seriously doubt a company as big as Glo will do this
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by DaddyD1: 5:01pm On Sep 08, 2010
My few reasons

1. Mismanagement
2. Poor internal controls
3. Non professional managing the business
4.Current meltdown(Though we are beginning to experience an upward movement in the economy)
5. Business synergy
6. Inappropriate staffing
5. poor cashflow
6.Cash Divertion
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by LAXIST(m): 9:29am On Sep 09, 2010
@Blank,
The kind of comapny you worked, was the most reasonable. I guess the management team had their head on thier shoulders. Very, very reasonable decison i must say,
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Wallie(m): 4:12pm On Sep 09, 2010
The issue seems to be that of cash flow. Like most said, most sole proprietors don’t know how to properly run a business. I wonder how many of those people will be able to tell you exactly how much income they need per month to generate X naira at the end of the year after all overhead (salary, rent, utility etc) is paid.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by ugobanks: 8:57pm On Sep 09, 2010
@ jarius

I want to know if with an engineering degree and interest in investment banking i can apply online to VETIVA and other investment outfits.I need your response ASAP.

Thanks
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by ugobanks: 8:58pm On Sep 09, 2010
@ jarius

I want to know if with an engineering degree and interest in investment banking i can apply online to VETIVA and other investment outfits.I need your response ASAP.

Thanks
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by ladej(m): 12:53pm On Sep 12, 2010
hackney:

I suspected that this type of rubbish will still be happening in nigerian companies.
wont be shocked if it happens in shell nigeria.
That country needs to tumble into a bottomles pit of no return.
angry angry angry angry angry
bros from hackney, are your relatives all living in hackney as well or do u have some still living in the motherland, cos your words about Nigeria tumbling into a bottomless pit of no return is uncalled for
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by ladej(m): 12:55pm On Sep 12, 2010
SanFranc:

This topic is sooo interesting!
But unfortunately there is hardly anything we can do about it cos no law regulates such activities and every Tom, manliness and Harry wants to be called a CEO/Managing Director or even Chairman. But it does not end with one man businesses, some 'big' organizations are invloved in this devilish act of delaying salaries as well. For instance, Glo. On appointment, you are not told about the 50/50 rule, but once you start work, you will be paid 50% of your salary when due, but the remaining 50% is tied to your target performance, so if your salary is 200k, you get 100k automatically, then whatever percentage achieved in your monthly target is paid you as the balance! And this gets paid so deep into the next month. Whats that??
God help you if you score below 50% of your ever increasing target, na hunger and debt go kill you.

Abeg help me pray that my August salary is paid by Wednesday oooooo

amen, ive not heard anything good about Glo's business practices concerning employees
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by ladej(m): 12:56pm On Sep 12, 2010
tweenytee:

Is it not better to be without a job than to have a job and not get paid?
Cos it only means you are using your last change to get to work and eat and yet you not getting paid.
I would rather use what i have in investment or use it to look for a paying job

Trust me! its better to leave your house every morning and return home at night. Yeah its annoyin nt to get paid in tym angry. am a victim as well. THEY LL EVENTUALLY PAY, smiley
i agree. staying at home for too long can cause early life crisis !
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by ladej(m): 12:58pm On Sep 12, 2010
byHismercy:

typical naija factor cant happen anywhere else. A friend got around £20,000 in back pay after it was discovered he had been underpaid for about 3 years.
your friend should also sue
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by ladej(m): 1:00pm On Sep 12, 2010
latepa:

If your company doesn't pay on time,you should thank God at least they're still paying smiley
i cant argue with this statement. 100% accurate
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Wallie(m): 2:37pm On Sep 13, 2010
SanFranc:

,  For instance, Glo. On appointment, you are not told about the 50/50 rule, but once you start work, you will be paid 50% of your salary when due, but the remaining 50% is tied to your target performance, so if your salary is 200k, you get 100k automatically, then whatever percentage achieved in your monthly target is paid you as the balance! And this gets paid so deep into the next month. Whats that??
God help you if you score below 50% of your ever increasing target, na hunger and debt go kill you.

Abeg help me pray that my August salary is paid by Wednesday oooooo

SanFranc, I’m afraid Glo’s practice does not fall within the same issue as not paying workers on time. There is nothing wrong in tying performance to pay and it is actually a preferred method of payment by most professional companies in the US. How else would a company guarantee that people are not just loafing?

However, what differs is that companies over here typically wait till the end of the year to pay you the “bonus” for meeting your goals. For example, one of the companies I worked for will pay you your monthly salary and another 20% depending on your performance.

A way of looking at Glo’s practice is to say that your salary is 100k and you CAN get another 100k bonus if you bring value to the company. I’m actually impressed that Glo has such a structure; it shows that they’re forward thinking.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by naijatoday: 5:39pm On Sep 14, 2010
Wallie:

SanFranc, I[b]’m afraid Glo’s practice does not fall within the same issue as not paying workers on time. There is nothing wrong in tying performance to pay and it is actually a preferred method of payment by most professional companies in the US. How else would a company guarantee that people are not just loafing?
[/b]
However, what differs is that companies over here typically wait till the end of the year to pay you the “bonus” for meeting your goals. For example, one of the companies I worked for will pay you your monthly salary and another 20% depending on your performance.

A way of looking at Glo’s practice is to say that your salary is 100k and you CAN get another 100k bonus if you bring value to the company. I’m actually impressed that Glo has such a structure; it shows that they’re forward thinking.

Exactly what i was thinking.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by icare1: 10:47am On Sep 15, 2010
start your company and lets see what you do.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by jungletee: 1:50pm On Sep 15, 2010
It is really bad that one should be working without getting paid, to begin to imagine this, is truly beyond imagination.

Worst part is that even our so-called HR (Human Resources) consulting firms are the greatest culprit in this matter.

I am a victim of one, as we speak i am still battling on collecting back over 4 MONTHS salaries, out of which the ones i even collected were in bit and pieces, i have sent emissaries to this MAN (KUDA, ) he is the managing partner of his firm but you would see clearly how he throws the money around, even owe the dustbin guy that packs dirt from the compound, on top of all this, he molests his staff.

Please join me to plead with him, to pay me my salary, i have children and family who solely depend on my income no matter how small.

My suggestion is that such firms should be closed down, due to abuse of the profession, why should  a firm like that ever be referred to as an HR firm?
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Metalgong1(m): 7:56am On Sep 18, 2010
It is just sheer greediness and selfishness. Most of them won't be able to pay their workers, yet they maintain their lavish life styles with the company's revenues.

Advice to Nigerian students: Start from your secondary school to save for your own personnal business.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by DisGuy: 9:10pm On Sep 18, 2010
i care:

Another buffoon, when you were in school did your lecturer ever mention withholding pay from your staff or suppliers? or perhaps you think buying the latest SUV as the MD is more important than paying the people making money for the company? ode olodo
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by blank(f): 1:01pm On Sep 21, 2010
I thank God 4 d companies I av worked in. Such practices r unheard of.

For all those people commending Glo, I doubt u understand what they are trying 2 say. The employment contract doesn't specify dat any part of the salary should be tied to performance. Most companies give a percentage of their profit as bonus to workers based on the worker's performance. It may be written in the employment contract or mite just be best practice of the company. Glo is being underhand in dir dealings. U av to let the staff know upfront dat half of what is written in dir contacts is tied 2 performance so dat dey can better evaluate d offer.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by elvking: 8:44pm On Sep 21, 2010
I was just made to understand that some times it just for their selfish interest, they always want to leave it in the bank for more time so it can yield more profits for them sad
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by shittuson: 11:11pm On Sep 24, 2010
Hi,for those of us who found ourselves in the position of receiving salaries almost at the end of the new month should take courage and listen to the rythm of the business, if the situation repeats itself, then think like a man.I received a salary for July on 52/08/2010 meaning 22 August 2010 got pay for July salary, I have then observed that you spent more when your salary is delayed and make you a poor planner.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by shittuson: 11:36pm On Sep 24, 2010
There are many reasons a company won't pay salaries as at when due, above all is indequate planning and nonchallant attitude. This are reasons that can be better explained if their were chances to do so. Other reasons are unrealistic cash projection/inflows,deliberate attitude of business owners,poor sales and little or no profit,attraction of bank interest in the case of huge amount, whatever reasons may it be let those in the position of approving the payment have it at the back of their minds that the aftermath will be borne mosthly by them.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Sagamite(m): 4:23pm On Sep 25, 2010
blank:

I once worked in an indigenous oil servicing company in the finance dept.
Things were really rough we were owing banks large sums of money but we never owed staff salary.
Rather, what we did was to borrow money from banks at ridiculous interest rates to pay staff.
The only thing was that we froze salary increases, sacked redundant staff and did not pay any bonus for that period (13 months).
However, once the govt paid the money we were owed, we paid out bigger bonuses to staff for their patience.
Even those that were sacked were paid a prorated bonus.
That is an example of a responsible employer.
I still stop by to know how they are doing and they are growing bigger n bigger.

Good employer and demonstrates principles as well by paying those that were sacked what they were due even though they could not do anything if they were not given anything.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Sagamite(m): 4:50pm On Sep 25, 2010
Wallie:

SanFranc, I’m afraid Glo’s practice does not fall within the same issue as not paying workers on time. There is nothing wrong in tying performance to pay and it is actually a preferred method of payment by most professional companies in the US. How else would a company guarantee that people are not just loafing?

Utter Rubbish!!!

If his salary is 100K, then the company should tell him that. They should make it clear before he starts, not mislead him.

In the West, your salary is different from your bonus.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Sagamite(m): 4:53pm On Sep 25, 2010
i care:

Cretin!

Beg a trailer driver to drive over your worthless brain!
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by AjanleKoko: 6:01pm On Sep 25, 2010
Wallie:

Wallie, I wish I could agree with you. But Glo's practices don't show transparency. Remember you sign an employment contract that indicates your conditions of service. Glo has all sorts of ridiculous stuff, including giving their staff letters of shadow companies, while they actually work for Glo. They don't really owe staff wages, but the environment is too unstable in my view.

Another telecoms company did something similar to what you're describing. They paid people on a monthly basis a flat wage gross of tax, with no perks or bonuses, until much later when they tried to put a structure in their HR and confirm all their staff, about a year and a half after they started.
Eventually they restructured the salary and put a portion of it in bonuses. Staff grumbled, but, well, nothing could be done but to adjust. I think that was a lot better, since at least they put a legal contract on the table.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Tboy15: 3:12pm On Oct 02, 2010
how far how are you surviving?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Links To Scholarships, Post-Doc, Job Opportunities, etc. / 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic / My Company Owe Me Money!!! How Can I Get It Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.