Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,715 members, 7,882,431 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 04:27 AM

Any Igbo Muslims In The House? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Any Igbo Muslims In The House? (3504 Views)

Where Is The ''are There Igbo Muslims' Thread? / Gov. Okorocha, Wamakko, Yuguda Give Millions Of Naira To Igbo Muslims Converts / Any Igbo ''jews'' Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by Nobody: 2:58am On Mar 20, 2007
abdkabir:

Wetin !
I am Igbo, No probs. Na fight! Infact i was born into an Igbo Wider Family. grin grin grin

are you speaking the truth or practising al taquiyyah?
You know you're not being truthful.
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by Eemah(m): 1:52am On Nov 15, 2010
babyosisi:

Enjoy this picture.

Please Sumone shud help me tell these taliban suicide bombers that there is no need for that snapshot !
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by vedaxcool(m): 9:43am On Nov 15, 2010
I have met Ibo muslims before, and one - I think- even converted last friday. One that my knew closely is the only Muslim in her Family, she converted when she was still in secondary school--Porthacourt to be precise. I think the reasons Ibos are not Muslims is because of a lot of Misconceptions, one very common misconception is that they think Muslims worship Muhammad Pbuh. Which is not the case. But for the fools that claim that Ibo that converted in the North is born out of fear, are simply being daft in all respect, as Ibos are not the kind of people that are easily intimidated, and even during religious crisis in the north Muslims from other parts of the country perish, this crisis are mainly ethnic in colour and povert in the body.
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by alexleo(m): 10:02am On Nov 15, 2010
Igbos only join muslim for the sake of political or business gain. Not that they like muslim or appericiate it. Once they are through with what they want to gain from them, they go back to christianity.

@Shahan,
God bless you for making a wise decision. God keep and guide you continously. Pls keep close to Jesus all the time and you will not regret it.
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by mafolayomi(f): 2:05pm On Nov 15, 2010
alexleo:

Igbos only join muslim for the sake of political or business gain. Not that they like muslim or appericiate it. Once they are through with what they want to gain from them, they go back to christianity.

@Shahan,
God bless you for making a wise decision. God keep and guide you continously. Pls keep close to Jesus all the time and you will not regret it.

and u see those as thru xtains? to me, those are neither here nor dere, dey are neither xtians or muslims smiley
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by alexleo(m): 2:31pm On Nov 15, 2010
mafolayomi:

and u see those as thru xtains? to me, those are neither here nor dere, dey are neither xtians or muslims smiley

of course those of them are only paying lip service to christianity. They are not true christians except those who truly repents and confess their evil deals.
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by favouredjb(f): 4:38pm On Nov 15, 2010
Only heard of one or two and they are not fully igbo at that
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by vedaxcool(m): 4:56pm On Nov 15, 2010
^^^^^
your world is very myopic indeed!
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by Nobody: 11:50am On Nov 16, 2010
grin When I imagine an Alhaji Okonkwo, or Alhaji Emeka something something, I just see a sharp Igbo guy strolling down a hotel lobby, with a briefcase stuffed with dollars, and looking to make a bigger killing.  grin
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by Sweetnecta: 12:24pm On Nov 16, 2010
^^^^I think many are unknowingly putting igbo people down, if you think that the converts are insincere and are doing it only in deceit or disguise. this cant be the case, since from the same bloodline, in the same family people make decisions that are unique to the particular person. there are many igbos that i have spoken to in nigeria who became muslims, and are now fathers and even grandfathers, whose bloodlines are now purely islam.

Islam is not forbidden to igbo people. many have converted outside nigeria, as well. before Makka and Madina and arabs accepted islam, they were pagans. the situation of the igbos is better than that of the birth place of the Prophet (AS) before Islam of Muhammad. Okeke, Chukwuma, etc, inshaAllah, islam will enter big time the heart of igboland and igbo people.

only people with low esteem will assume that igbo muslims are opportunitists, and not so in christendom, since it is not the originnal religion of igbo people, too. igbo muslim lived with me about 8 years ago. i met him, fully muslim in america. imagine that! what opportunity is the guy seeking from muslim nigerians in america, when he was not even associating with nigerians?
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by MaiSuya(m): 6:30pm On Nov 16, 2010
I'm yet to come across any
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by martinseme: 11:30am On Dec 01, 2010
the igbos are too wiser a race to subscribe to a religion which is founded on false hood, deceptions and unfounded gimmicks for lowly intelligent gullibles, Christianity which is the religion of the igbos wasnt forced on them but due to the verifiable both empirical and metaphysical time tested realities the igbos now that its the only true way to be with God. This is one of those realities which makes me proud to a igbo man.
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by udennaa: 12:01pm On Dec 01, 2010
martinseme:

the igbos are too wiser a race to subscribe to a religion which is founded on false hood, deceptions and unfounded gimmicks for lowly intelligent gullibles, Christianity which is the religion of the igbos wasnt forced on them but due to the verifiable both empirical and metaphysical time tested realities the igbos now that its the only true way to be with God. This is one of those realities which makes me proud to a igbo man.
very well said.a few igbos who became muslims did so for their selfish interests.igbos wherever they are are known to worship the only true God and His son Jesus Christ and not the sun god allah.
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by bashydemy(m): 12:22pm On Dec 01, 2010
^^ and wish of the religion is selfish? a religion where the pastor will tell you if you dont pay your tithe you are stealing from God is that not selfishness and using the money to buy jeep and jets make God punish them all
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by vedaxcool(m): 1:39pm On Dec 01, 2010
bashy_demy:

^^ and wish of the religion is selfish? a religion where the pastor will tell you if you dont pay your tithe you are stealing from God is that not selfishness and using the money to buy jeep and jets make God punish them all
]

I DEY LAUGH! grin grin grin grin
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by bashydemy(m): 1:49pm On Dec 01, 2010
abi jare brother
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by dexmond: 7:48pm On Dec 01, 2010
The Testimony of Siti Zainab

Assalam-mualaikum.

My name is Siti Zainab. I am a Malay Muslim woman from Southeast Asia. I was born into a Muslim family, very traditional in its ways and strong in their adherence to the religion of Islam. From the very beginning, I was given an Islamic education that was solid and deep, thus was my knowledge of Islam from a young age.

As part of my basic Primary School education, I was also made to attend Muslim madrasah (Islamic religious) schools, and started reading and reciting the Quran early, absorbing the key precepts & fundamentals of (Sunni) Islam, from qualified religious teachers (ustazahs) and various other qualified Islamic teachers. There I learnt to fear and obey Allah s.w.t. and also to follow the teachings and example of Prophet Muhammad (especially those found in the ‘Valid Hadiths’). I also could recite the Quran wholly, much to the delight of both my parents and both of them were quite pleased and happy with the formation of my Islamic devotion. In brief, I had experienced a solid foundation and deep religious formation as a devoted and committed Muslimah

I never neglected my religious duties to do the Solat (or Namaz) obligatory prayers five times a day, and religiously fasted the required 30 days during the Ramadhan ‘holy month’ of the Muslim calendar. I practised the Islamic ‘pillars of faith’ dutifully, without being told and/or reminded by anybody, particularly by my Muslim parents! In short, nobody doubted or questioned my religious upbringing, commitment and experience as a devout and God-fearing Muslimah (female Muslim), whatsoever.

Even so, as I continued to carry out the pillars of Islam fastidiously and faithfully. After years and years of fulfilling and carrying out the observances of Islam as a Muslim I had not questioned or doubted the significance or importance this ‘offering of worship’ ['ibadah'] was for me. Yet, as time went by, all these works proved increasingly to be ritualistic chores, meaningless going-through-the-motions that lost all meaning and attraction to me! Were these rituals and routines describing the best kind of relationship that God/Allah can establish with Mankind – that between a Master and a slave?? Also, rituals that are done just to collect more merit points/brownie points that would possibly increase my chances with Allah to get into Paradise??

I had many, many such questions and doubts like that I kept in my heart to myself but I did not raise them up because I did not want to hurt the feelings of my fellow-Muslim friends. I also remembered how harshly I was scolded, reprimanded and prevented from asking these sincere questions by my Islamic religious studies Teachers!

Nevertheless these Questions lingered on in my soul and my thoughts, and grew as I matured further in Age into my High School years! As I developed further into adulthood, the Islamic obligatory rituals increasingly became shallow, empty and even dead deeds. They were not the meritorious and deeds of blessings my ustazs and ustazahs (religious teachers) so vainly tried to teach us about.

That did not mean that I had not tried hard enough! I actually attempted many times to focus my attention on what was ‘beautiful and pure’ behind each act of ibadah (worship), nevertheless the realisation of how shallow and empty these Islamic actions were could never be shaken off, ! The questions still remained; Was this actually the right and best way for mankind to be related to GOD?

After completing High School, I gained admission into University and into a Course of my preference. Whilst in University, I also increased further the search for the answers to my questions of Life and the emptiness the Islamic Religion had offered me, mentioned above. I increased my readings and research until I discovered a Book entitled “Appointment in Jerusalem”. This Book was written by a Danish lady, and it describes her deep spiritual struggle and search for meaning and spiritual enlightenment and satisfaction in her religion. I was very drawn to its contents as it was very similar indeed to my own spiritual struggle and quest!

I was not a little surprised when I discovered that this Danish lady had obtained the realisation that her own relationship with GOD could be directly and spontaneous, without going through the motions of religious rituals and prescribed ritualistic formulations. I learnt that mankind could relate to God freely through even a personal and direct relationship with Him. That is, we could be related with the Creator-without all that religious ritualism, directly and personally, even as a Child relates to his/her own Father! This is a direct, personal and dynamic relationship. Therefore it means that mankind can now get to know God personally in the same sense as a Father and his Child.

Could this be the kind of spiritual relationship that I was looking for all this while? In my University classes there were also other Christians, who were kind and helpful. Yet, I did not mix closely with them, and only observed them from afar. I was trying to figure out if their faith and relationship with God was in line with what my struggle was about. Or were these Christians also having a shallow and meaningless ‘experience’ or ‘knowledge’ of God like I was as a Muslimah!

Even though these Christians were strong in their faith, they did not try to evangelise me or preach to me Christianity. It was only after many months had passed, that I finally inquired about their religious and spiritual experiences. They were intrigued that I as a Muslim, wanted to discuss religion with them, Christians. However, I really respect them for not trying to ‘sell their religion’ to me. On the other hand, we were able to sit down together and discuss about our religious and spiritual struggles openly, as equals and as mature adults.

It was through the interaction with these fellow university students, that I acquired a better understanding about what Christian teachings were all about, as well as a clearer understanding of the Book “Appointment in Jerusalem". Nevertheless, for 2 whole years in the University, I did nothing about Christianity. I still wanted to search within my religion of Islam about the true relationship between God and Mankind, and to compare that with the teachings of the Gospel. During those 2 years, my Christian classmates were very patient with me and my questions, sometimes, my questions were silly and shallow, other times, they were complex! Nevertheless I was very impressed at the Christians’ courtesy, kindness and sincerity.

After the 2 years, and further into my quest, I finally decided to embrace and accept the authentic teachings and message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Since that time, my prayer life, worship, fasting and good deeds have all been greatly enriched and blessed by Almighty God many times over. I have since come to realise that Man is not made just to function like a ‘Robot’, existing in a relationship with God/Allah merely like that between a Master and a Slave!!

On the other hand, the message of the Holy Gospel of Christ states that –all peoples that receive the Way and the Truth of God, they shall be given a brand new relationship with God, and the right to be known as “Children of God”, as it is written in the Holy Scriptures and taught by Sayidina Isa A.M. himself:

“But to all who received Him, He gave them the right to become the Children of God, to those who believe in His Name, who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, not of the will of men, but of GOD.”

John 1 : 12-13.

After being blest by the Lord, as His ‘child’, my life began to change – for the better. This caught the attention of my Family members. They finally came to know about my Christian faith and being a follower of Jesus Christ as taught in His Gospel. At that point, it was a little difficult for them to accept me as a follower of Jesus Christ — Islam is a grossly intolerant religion towards its followers that reject it, I remember undergoing a time of trial, tests and tough obstacles during that phase of my life.

In spite of all that, the Lord GOD provided me with the strength and patience that was sufficient to endure and undergo the bittersweet initial reaction of my family members. I had embraced fully the fact of Jesus Christ as my Redeemer, the Living Word (Logos in Greek, Kalimatullah in Arabic; cf. John 1:1-5, AQ Surah 3/45, 4/171) of GOD, into my life.

I reckon that they are truly ignorant about what becoming a follower of Jesus Christ actually is. The Quran does not have a full account of the life and ministry of Sayidina Isa Al-Masih – ie. Jesus the Messiah. However the Gospels in the New Testament has a complete and comprehensive account of everything significant that Sayidina Isa A.M. had ever said and did!

Today, Praise God, Alhamdulillah, the situation in my family is very much improved. Most importantly, I now possess the assurance of a real and powerful relationship with a loving God, unlike before, when all my good deeds or amal saleh were inadequate to assure me of a good and acceptable relationship with Allah, even though I strove to be an excellent or even a good Muslimah. No Muslim ever knows or is assured about what or when is ever good enough with the God of Islam! Now, as a follower and believer in Jesus Christ and his Salvation, I have a relationship with God that is far more blessed and better than that of a Slave and her Overlord – as Islam teaches, because as a slave, we are never sure if ever our overlord is pleased with our service or submission!

Today, as a child of God, I now possess the confidence and the eternal assurance regarding my relationship with God, that was based upon the loving gift of my Redeemer Sayidina Isa, who offered the perfect kiffarat [the atoning sacrifice] on my behalf. Now, the Spirit of God Himself has showered every good and wonderful spiritual blessing from His bounty into my life, as both His child AND His willing servant.

I would like to invite you to be healed from your spiritual uncertainty, confusion and lack of eternal assurance regarding your life in the Hereafter (Akhirat), and to come and experience and to know for yourself the incomparable spiritual blessings that the living God would bestow you now. I myself have no regrets whatsoever about the decision I have made, to follow and remain faithful to God’s living powerful Word, Sayidina Isa, the Messiah, for today as well as for tomorrow.

Your Friend, Zainab.
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by dexmond: 7:52pm On Dec 01, 2010
The Story of Zia Nodrat
In Kabul, Afghanistan, during 1964, a fourteen year old boy, Zia Nodrat, enrolled in the NOOR Institute for the Blind. He already knew the whole Qur'an by heart. In Western terms that would be like an English speaker memorizing the complete New Testament in Greek, since Arabic was not Zia's mother tongue. He completed the six primary grades of the Institute in three years.

While attending his classes in Braille in the Institute for the Blind, Zia also mastered English. He did this by listening and repeating what he heard on a transistor radio. With the help of a small ear plug, he heard programs coming into Afghanistan from other countries. He eventually started asking questions about what he had heard, such as, "What do you mean by the substitutionary atonement?" He had heard such theological concepts during Christian radio broadcasts like the Voice of the Gospel coming from Addis Ababa in Ethiopia, Africa.

Finally, he shared with a few persons that he had received Jesus the Messiah as his personal Saviour. They asked him if he realized that he could be killed for this, since the Islamic Law of Apostasy for anyone leaving Islam is death. He answered, "I have counted the cost and am willing to die for the Messiah, since He has already died on the cross for me."

Zia then became the spiritual leader of the few Afghan Christians. In the Institute for the Blind in Kabul, the students elected him as the president of their association. But the next year after it was known that he had become a Christian, he lost the election for this position. One of his Christian teachers told him how sorry she was that he lost. He replied, quoting the prophet John the Baptist who said of Jesus, "He must become greater, I must become less" (John 3:30). His goal in life was not to seek prominence for himself, but to be a humble servant of his Lord. Zia's father said that before he had entered the Institute for the Blind, he had been like a cold and unlit piece of charcoal. After his experience there, he had become like a red hot, brightly burning coal.

Once he borrowed the English Braille copy of the Gospel of John. He opened it and read with his fingers. He then returned it and said that his question had been answered. When asked what his question was, he replied that in John 13:34 Jesus said, "A new commandment I give you that you love one another." He wondered why the Lord Jesus called it "new," since the commandment "love your neighbour as yourself" had already been given to Moses, as recorded in the Old Testament Book of Leviticus 19:18. But now he understood. He explained that until the incarnation of the Messiah the world had never before seen love personified. He went on to state that the Bible reveals that God is love, and that Jesus as God in human flesh is love incarnate. This was what made the mandate new. Jesus said, "A new commandment I give you that you love one another as I have loved you." In his perfect life Jesus has now given us a new model to follow.

Zia was the first blind student to attend regular sighted schools in Afghanistan. There he had a small recorder with which he taped everything his teachers said, so that he could go over it and learn it thoroughly. He thus became the number one student out of hundreds at his grade level. Those who failed in their classes were given a second chance to take examinations after the three month vacation. He studied the next year during this break and passed the tests. In this way he completed high school, finishing two grades each year.

Zia wanted to study Islamic Law so that he could defend Christians who might be persecuted for their faith. He therefore entered in the University of Kabul, from which he graduated with his law degree. He also studied Calvin's Institutes on the side since he wanted to grasp the concepts of this Reformation leader.

The Christoffel Blind Mission in Germany gave the Institute for the Blind in Afghanistan an extensive library of Braille books in German. Since Zia wanted to read these, along with his other classes he went to the Goethe Institute in Kabul and learned German. As the top student there too, he won a scholarship to go to Germany to study advanced German. When the Germans found out that he was blind, they withdrew the fellowship since they did not have the arrangements or accommodations for a blind person. He asked them what he would have to do. They replied that he would have to travel alone and take care of himself. When he agreed to do that, they finally accepted him. While studying there with top students from Goethe Institutes around the world, he was number one in this advanced course as well.

Zia also translated the New Testament from Iranian Persian into his own Afghan Dari dialect. This was published by the Pakistan Bible Society in Lahore. Its third edition was published by the Cambridge University Press in England in 1989. He also travelled to Saudi Arabia where he won a memory contest on the Qur'an. The Muslim judges were so amazed and chagrined that a non-Arabic speaker had taken first space, that they also awarded another prize for the best Arab in the competition. Because different blind students like Zia had become Christians, in March of 1973 the Muslim government in Afghanistan sent a written order closing the two Institutes for the Blind, one of which was in Kabul and the other seven hundred miles to the west in Herat. All the expatriate teachers of the blind along with their families were ordered to leave Afghanistan within one week. As these dedicated teachers left, God gave them a promise from Isaiah 42:16, "I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them."

The Muslim Government then destroyed the Christian Church building in Kabul, after previously having given permission to build it. President Eisenhower had requested permission for construction of this building from King Zahir Shah on his visit to Afghanistan in 1959, since a Mosque had been built in Washington, DC for the Muslim diplomats there, and Christian diplomats and other Christians needed a place to worship on a reciprocal basis in Kabul. Christians from nations all around the world contributed toward its construction. At its dedication, the cornerstone carved in beautiful Afghan alabaster marble read: "To the glory of God 'Who loves us and has freed us from our sins by His blood' this building is dedicated as 'a house of prayer for all nations' in the reign of H.M. Zahir Shah, May 17, 1970 A.D., 'Jesus Christ Himself being the Chief Cornerstone'."

When troops arrived and started knocking down the wall between the street and the Church property preparatory to destroying it, a German Christian businessman went to the mayor of Kabul, who had given the order, and said, "If your Government touches that House of God, God will overthrow your Government." This proved to be a prophecy. The mayor then sent a letter to the congregation ordering them to give the Church for destruction, since that would mean that the Government would not have to pay compensation. They replied that they could not give it to anyone since it did not belong to them. It had been dedicated to God. They also added that if the Government took it and destroyed it, they would be answerable to God.

Police, workmen and bulldozers were sent to destroy the Church. The congregation, instead of opposing, offered them tea and cookies. Christians all around the world prayed and many of them wrote letters to Afghan embassies in various nations. Billy Graham and other world Christian leaders signed a statement of concern and sent it to the King.

On July 17, 1973 the destruction of the Church building was completed. That very night the Afghan Government responsible for the destruction was overthrown in a coup. Afghans who are quick to see omens in events say that Jesus the Messiah came down from heaven and overthrew the Government because the Government had overthrown His Church. It had been a Monarchy for 227 years. That night it became a Republic, under President Daoud. In 1978 this Government was toppled by a Communist coup, followed by the Russian invasion just after Christmas in 1979. Millions of Afghans had to flee their country as refugees. One of them was heard to say, "Ever since our Government destroyed that Christian Church, God has been judging our country."

Under the Communists, the Institute for the Blind in Kabul was reopened and Zia was put in charge. He did a fine job of reorganizing it. Then pressure was brought on him to join the Communist party. He refused. One official told him that if he did not join, he might be killed. He replied that he was not afraid to be killed and asked the Communist if he were ready to die.

Finally Zia was arrested on false charges and put in the Puli Charkhi political prison outside of Kabul, where thousands were executed. There was no heat in the jail to protect the prisoners from the cold winter weather. He had to sleep on the freezing mud floor in his overcoat. A prisoner next to him was trembling with cold since he did not even have a jacket. Zia knew John the Baptist had said, "The man who has two coats should share with him who has none" (Luke 3:11). He took off his only coat and gave it to the neighbour. From then on, the Lord miraculously kept him warm every night. He slept as if he had a comforter over him.

In prison the Communists gave Zia shock treatments to try to brainwash him. The electric burns lefts scars on his head. But he did not give in. When he was offered the opportunity to study Russian in prison, he mastered this language also. The Communists finally freed him in December, 1985.

Following his release from prison Zia read Genesis 12: 1-3, in his Braille Bible, "The Lord said to Abram, 'Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you. I , will bless you; , and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.' " Zia felt God was calling him to leave Afghanistan to go as a missionary to Pakistan. He therefore got in touch with a friend, a blind beggar. He then dressed himself in rags. On their way out of the country, he let his friend do all the talking, thereby concealing his identity or detection from the soldiers. They thus were able to get through the Soviet check points along the main highway from Kabul. It took them twelve days to travel the 150 miles to the Khyber Pass and then on into Pakistan.

After Zia arrived in Pakistan, he was offered an opportunity to travel to the United States to study Hebrew since he was also working on a translation of the Old Testament into his Dari language. He declined, saying he had so much to do among the Afghan refugees that he could not leave. He started an Institute for the Blind for them. He learned the main language of Pakistan, Urdu, preaching in this language in Christian churches. He furthermore completed a book of New Testament stories in Dari for children.

On March 23, 1988, Zia was kidnapped by a fanatical Muslim group, Hisbe Islami, ("the Party of Islam"wink and was accused of being a CIA agent because he knew English, a KGB or Khad spy because he knew Russian and an apostate from Islam because he was a Christian. He was beaten for hours with rods. A sighted person can brace and flinch when the blow comes. But a blind person cannot see the club coming and thus gets the full force, even like the torture the Lord Jesus Christ experienced when he was blindfolded and then struck (Luke 22:64). His wife and three daughters had been able to get out of Afghanistan and were with him in Pakistan at the time he was kidnapped. Soon after his wife gave birth to a beautiful boy who looks much like his father. No one knows whether Zia ever heard that he had a son.

The latest word, though not absolutely definite, is that Hisbe Islami murdered Zia. Before he was kidnapped, he had told a friend that if this party ever captured him they would kill him. This same party caught two Pakistani Christians taking relief items to needy Afghans and tortured them. Before releasing them, one of the captors stated, "We are not going to kill you the way we killed Zia Nodrat." In addition, an Afghan news reporter on the Northwest Frontier of Pakistan claims to have evidence that Hisbe Islami murdered Zia in a cruel way.

The United Nations Universal Declaration of Hurnan Rights in article 13 states, "Everyone shall have the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; freedom to manifest one's religion or belief." The story of Zia is a story of infringement of human rights. Zia has been denied his freedom and has probably been martyred for his faith. Before his capture, he asked a Christian friend that if anything happened to him, his friend would take care of his family. The friend answered in the affirmative, not realizing that a short time later Zia would be kidnapped. He was able to arrange for Zia's wife and two of his children to be brought to North America.

God does not force a belief system upon people. He has given them liberty to choose. Therefore what right does an earthly regime or group have to impose a certain belief system? Our prayer is that the new Government of Afghanistan will respect the freedom of religion which is basic to all other liberties. In the Afghan language, Dari, there is a popular Afghan proverb which substantiates this truth as it states the following in Dari, the main language of Kabul, "Isa'i badin khud, Musa'i badin khud." ("Let the followers of Jesus practise their religion, and the followers of Moses theirs."wink

Jesus prophesied, "A time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering service to God" (John 16:2). After His resurrection, He commanded His followers, "Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life" (Revelation 2:10). If Zia has been killed for the Messiah, he has gone on to his eternal reward. And all of like precious faith will one day see him again; as the Bible promises, "and so shall we ever be with the Lord" (I Thessalonians 4:17b). Then we will be able to learn the full story of Zia's dedicated life.
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by tbaba1234: 8:45pm On Dec 01, 2010
by Sister Diana Beatty
In the Name of Allah, most Compassionate, most Merciful

I was raised in a moderately Christian home in Colorado. Religion was never much of an issue in my house. My father was raised as a Mormon, my mother as a Protestant. I can remember myparents dropping my brother off at Sunday School, but instead of going to church while we were in religious classes, they would go home. As I grew to adolescence, I became curious about God, wondering whether He really existed and if so, what He wanted from us humans. I studied the Bible and other Christian literature earnestly. As a high school student, I was mature enough as a reader to notice apparent discrepancies in the Bible, particularly about the nature of Jesus (peace be upon him). In some places, the Bible seemed to indicate that Jesus was the Son of God, and in others, a man. At that time, however, I did not believe that there was any problem with the Bible, I thought the problem was one of me being of limited capability to understand what I was reading. You see, as Christians we are taught that religion is somewhat mystical; religion does not have to make sense or be logical or stand up to reason because God can do things however He wants. So, when things don't make sense, it is because we as humans are incapable of comprehending God's truth, and thus we must just accept on faith that which we cannot understand. Even so, I was unhappy with the way most Christians practiced their religion because it seemed like a mere pastime to me. I learned about a sect of Christianity called the Church of God through their literature, and I liked very much some of the things they did. For instance, they abstain from eating pork because they are told to in the Bible, and they do not celebrate Christmas because it is not mentioned in the Bible. When I came to college at Colorado State University, I met a girl who attended this church and I went with her once, but I quickly became disinterested in the group. The leaders of the church had recently divided and all its followers were arguing over which leaders to follow and I did not want to get involved in anything like that. So, I was back to being just a generic Christian again. I was involved in Bible Studies via Campus Crusade for Christ in my dormitory. At the studies, I was on a personal quest to figure out what the Bible was really saying, although at the time I didn't see that so clearly.

Also at that time, I met a Muslim man, the first Muslim I had ever met. I have always been attracted to people from different cultures, and we soon became good friends. Slowly, I became curious about Islam. I wondered, "Why does he pray a certain way?" I wanted to know why he believed what he believed and why he did what he did. Christians do not pray in any particular way. As a Christian, I learned just to ask God for whatever I needed or wanted, and to do it in the name of Jesus (peace be upon him). The concept of actual worship in prayer instead of just asking for your wants and needs is largely lacking in Christian prayer, although we are taught to thank Jesus (peace be upon him) for dying for our sins. I wanted my relationship with God to be more than just asking for things. So, in this state of curiosity and of searching, I started to read Pickthall's translation of Qu'ran. When I first started to read it, I had a mixed reaction. On the one hand I was amazed that many of the same histories of the prophets of Christianity and Judaism were in Qu'ran. I never before realized that there was a relationship between Christianity, Judaism, and Islam; I had always thought of Islam as an Eastern religion, like Hinduism or Buddhism. On the other hand, whenever I read verses about Jesus (peace be upon him) which clearly stated that he was not one of three, or the Son of God, I felt compelled to just shut the book. This went against everything I had ever heard, and yet everything else in the Qu'ran went along so well with everything I had learned. I began to question why I believed everything I had been taught about Christianity.

I asked the leader of my Bible study and the other members of that group to explain to me what verses in the Bible tell us that Jesus (peace be upon him) was God in the flesh come to save us from our sins, and that all we had to do to be saved was to believe that Jesus (peace be upon him) was the Son of God. They all had answers, but for every answer they gave, I found a verse in the Bible which said the opposite. They told me we have to take it on faith, but I was now thinking that if God would give us a religion, it would be a logical religion that we could understand, so that we could do what He willed. The leader of my Bible study had done missionary work to Muslims in Algeria, and I decided to talk to him because I thought he would know about Islam and could tell me what was wrong with it and right with Christianity. First, I asked him what would happen to my Muslim friend, and he sighed and told me that he would undoubtedly go to hell unless he "accepted Jesus [peace be upon him] into his heart, but Muslims rarely do that." I had trouble accepting this, because my Muslim friend seemed so much more pious and sincere in devotion to God than most Christians are, and I couldn't understand why someone like that would go to hell. Then, I asked him how the Qu'ran could be so similar to the Bible and yet be totally rejected by Christians? He told me that the Qu'ran was sent by Satan to trick and deceive men into unbelief, and that its similarities to the Bible were part of the deception. I was almost crying at this point, but then I asked him if he had read the Qur'an, because I wanted to ask him about some specific verses. I was shocked at his answer. He answered that he had briefly looked at parts of it, but couldn't continue because it made him sick to his stomach. I left quickly, amazed at the realization that I, who had been reading Qur'an for only a few months, had studied more about Islam that my respected Bible study leader who had missionary work to Muslims in Algeria! I realized that he could not correctly make such a judgment as he had made about the Qur'an if he had not even read it. I was so angry at him and at all the Christian religious leaders who told us all these things without study and without explanation. It was nothing more than heresay, yet it was being preached as divine doctrine. This was a turning point for me, because at this point I concluded that I couldn't trust anyone to help me in my search, but that I had to do it within myself. Slowly, I found myself tearing down the belief that Jesus (peace be upon him ) was one of three or the Son of God. It was difficult, because always in the back of my mind was the thought that if I am wrong, I will go to hell. Yet, I could not deny that Mohamed (peace be upon him and his family) had to be the prophet of Allah, and that the Qur'an had to be the Word of Allah, and if the Qur'an were the Word of Allah, then what was in it had to be true. So, a few months after the talk with the leader of my Bible study, I became Muslim.

That was a little more than a year ago as of today (2/14/96). Learning about Islam has not always been easy. That Muslim man whom I met is now my mut'ah husband although we live in different states, and we hope for a permanent marriage when we are done with college. He is Shi'a, and so after several months I was to the point that I needed to learn the difference between Sunni and Shi'a. I started by reading web pages, and I found the Shi'a Encyclopedia to be so helpful. I used to get so frustrated, though, because I would learn something and think that I knew it, and then someone who was Sunni would tell me something that I had no answer for, and so I was left wondering how I would ever find the truth when it seemed to be entangled in contradicting traditions. Also, I wanted to be sure not to become Shi'a just for the sake of my mut'ah husband; I really needed to believe in its truth. But the Shi'a Encyclopedia convinced me, as did Tijani's books, by the Grace of Allah. Since then, I was introduced to the Ahlul-Bayt Discussion Group which has been very helpful. I have met some wonderful people who have helped me greatly, and they should get a good reward for all the help they have given me.

This semester, I started wearing hijab, and I am so glad that I did. I feel much better about myself, Ifeel more feminine and I think that God has helped me more than ever before since I decided to wear it. My non-Muslim classmates and friends don't mind my hijab; some even like it. My family, however, hates it. They have never understood or accepted my conversion, and they try to tell me that I converted only to please my husband and that I don't really believe in it, even if I can't see that now. They tell me I am going to hell. They tell me I am abandoning my American culture and trying to be something I'm not. They tell me I am turning away from them, and that my wearing hijab is a slap in the face to them and is very disrespectful. My mother cries about me, my father doesn't like to talk to me. I know they are concerned for their daughter and that they mean well; I love them and only want to be kind to them and I hate to see them this way. No matter what I say, they just don't understand me; logic doesn't work because emotions are too strong. Still, I think there is hope for our relationship, and I know that my conversion to Shi'a Islam is the best thing that ever could've happened to me. Despite the little troubles I may have, I feel more complete as a person, more directed, and more at peace than any Christian on this earth could ever know. I wish more people on this earth could experience the revelation that I have experienced. Looking back, I can't see anymore how Islam could ever have been so hard to understand or accept; it is so obviously the truth to me now that it practically screams it out. Alhumdooleluh.
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by tbaba1234: 8:49pm On Dec 01, 2010
Assalam alaikum

My Name Is Musa, I am an American Christian Convert (revert) to Islam.

I was brought up Christian pretty much, but I never really practiced or cared about religion much until I was in late teens.

I went threw a phase where I hated God for some unknown reason, I don't know if it was because I was trying to be "in" or "find myself" or what but for some reason I blamed God for all of my faults, for my bad childhood, the flu, the Raiders didn't win the super bowl, whatever it was, it was "Gods Fault"

I was into Satanism and Voodoo, witchcraft, you name it, I was into it. I didn't care much about anything, my life, my family nothing. I did what I wanted when I wanted to, I skimmed by using other people, I was into guns and Drugs, Partying and Hard-core Satanist rock music. I was over all a pretty bad dude. Anyhow, It all caught up with me when I was around 20 or so, and I ended up with my butt in Jail for 5 months.

That gave me some time to think, I really didn't think a lot about God while I was in there until one Day I was bored or something, I decided to read the bible, There were tons of them there so I said why not right? Well, much to my surprise I found the bible, Amazing, I didn't realize that everything I was looking for (or so I thought) was in this book. God , what a concept especially from a former Satanist, It was unheard of , but I began to study, I couldn't get enough I started reading and didn't stop until I got out of Jail. One night I was reading my bible from the light that was coming threw a crack in the door after lights out, I was reading the story of Jesus (May the peace and blessings of Allah be unto him) in Matthew, and, Wow, I wanted to be like him, I could just imagine him, living his entire life for God, I wanted to be like his followers, to be close to God to love and worship God, at that moment in my life nothing else really mattered to me. Nothing was important in this world other than God.

Anyhow, I decided that I was going to get baptized there in Jail, However, for some strange reason, the day I was supposed to be baptized was the day that they let me out of jail. The other crazy thing is they let me out of Jail early, a mistake on their part, I wasn't supposed to get out because I had other warrants other places, and was waiting arraignment on Felony charges, ( I was a bad guy) anyhow, the other charges were dropped, I was out of jail (Alhamdulliah) and a free man, free from Jail free from my self torment , ( or on my way to freedom anyhow). I soon came back to my old ways, but I was still never the same, I had promised God that I would never forsake him again, and this is a promise I have kept. When I was out I changed a lot, I started going to church, my family all thought I was weird, because I was Jim "anti-God," the last time they saw me, now I was going to church? They all thought I had some crazy ulterior motives for seeking out God. Like I said I quickly went back to my old ways, drinking a lot, illicit sex, back to my hard-core Satan rock but it was Okie because all I had to do is ask Jesus (pbuth) to forgive me overnight and boom I'm saved! Right?

Anyhow, I moved away from home again, for the 200th time, and moved in with a guy I met on the Internet down in South Carolina, just to get away, things were okay there for a while, I just hung out, kept to myself ,

One day I got this feeling that I needed to be close to God again, I started to feel that Empty again like I did before when God was out of my life. It was pretty crazy, because I had pretty much not really did anything for God anymore, I was more about myself again, But for some reason I felt this pull back again, and strange as it sounds, to the Middle East also, I had no idea what for but it was like one of those things, those got on the Internet and started reading, I felt that I needed to learn more about God, So I started online looking at websites about the ancient people near East and stuff like that, I came into the Syrian Orthodox church, who speak Aramaic, Which was the language Jesus (pbuh) spoke, Surely this will get me closer to God. I learned that It was the earliest form of Christianity, WOW I thought, I had found my calling, I thought that was what I was supposed to do, And I assumed that this middle east hankering I was having was God telling me that I was to be a missionary and go convert those nasty "Muslim people" I was sure that is what I what I was supposed to do. I knew at this point that my life was for God and God alone, I thought about Missionary and Seminary school very much, I am not sure where it come from like I said but It was just a realization that there really WAS God, that he was very real and that I needed to quit the things I was doing. So that is exactly what I intended to do.

Well I figured that If I was to convert these Muslim people I should know something about their religion, you know so I could better show them how wrong they are (haha) and So I could better convert them to worship Jesus.(pbuth) Well I had figured it would be just a bunch of nonsense, everything I had heard on the news about "Islamic terrorists", how they worshiped some "Moon God" or something and the big black box in the desert, However, I realized very quickly that it was not completely true, The more I read the more I wanted to learn, I pretty much abandoned my studying of Aramaic and Christianity in exchange for Arabic and Islam (I had to know a little of the language to convert them no? hehe) The biggest problem with me was that I was starting to really like what I was reading about Islam, I started telling my family, you know these Muslims are not that bad, they are not as strange as everyone things. inside I knew that I was a Muslim, right from the start I felt that this is what I should be doing!

They told me, "You need to tread VERY carefully Jim, You need to be careful because Satan is looming and you are now a good Christian and all he wants to do is divert you from the truth, you can get "SUCKED IN" by this evil religion, Islam is Evil and violent, Be careful!!!" I started talking about Islam every day, To my friends and family, setting them strait on some of the wrong ideas they had about Islam. And I even started to implement some of the things I loved about Islam into my Christian worship, prostrating, bowing ect, Because I learned that is how Jesus (pbuh) prayed, A Muslim friend I had met said to me, "Jim you are a Muslim, you just need to learn to accept it, accept that Allah has blessed you and led you to the truth." And I knew she was right, You have to understand how devastating this was to me to learn that what I had believed in was wrong, I suppose for some people the conversion was not hard, it was coming to the truth and that was easy , well for me it was hard, I thought I was abandoning everything I was taught. I knew inside and Allah was telling me this is who I am. I knew this was the will of Allah, (Alhamdulliah) But I would not let myself believe it, and I went threw the worst struggle of my life, I had Muslims I had been talking to online telling me, Jim You are already a Muslim, And I knew I was, and then I had the Christians from my church telling me that prophet (peace be unto him) was a demon possessed and that Islam was not the right way, that I was getting myself into something horrible and evil, My family told me that I would I was torn, It was by far the hardest thing I had ever gone threw, I have been threw being beaten as a child, finding dead bodies in my house, being essentially kidnapped and taken from my mother, not to see her again until 15 years later, Severe Anxiety disorder that put me in the hospital 5 times a month, and tons of other things I won't even get into, but , those things were easy compared to the suffering I was doing now, my mental suffering, Jesus, Allah, Muslim, Christian, So long I had loved Jesus, So long I had worshiped him as God, and to realized that I was wrong. Jesus was not God, I knew this and It was the hardest thing to admit it to myself.

I was still very new to Islam and I did not know a whole lot, so I went by what people told me and the little that I had read, finally I made my decision, I could not turn from the truth any longer, I had admitted to myself that I had been so blessed that Allah had shown me the truth!! Alhamdulliah! called my very first Muslim friend and did Shahada with her on the phone.

And then there was peace,

My anxiety has all but gone, I have cut my medication in half and on my way to removing it completely, I have quit smoking, I quit drinking, I quit cursing, I quit doing drugs, and I leave in August for Cairo, Egypt not to convert Muslims like I originally believed but instead to study Arabic and Islam. (Alhamdulliah) I still have problems with my family, however, they don't like that I am a Muslim, although they have come to realize that this is really a life decision for me, that its not some kinda phase or something. Insha'Allah they will realize the truth, I am trying to set an example, they have seen a huge change in me, Insha'Allah they will know that If I can change, they can also.

This is the real short easy version of my story but I think I made the point, Allah is wonderful and I thank him so much for showing me the truth, I am so excited about going to Cairo, I can hardly stand it, I will spend my very first Ramadan in Egypt, I will be able to learn from other Muslims, it will be so wonderful not to be so isolated, and alone, (Where I live now there isn't a Muslim for 100 miles or so, ) I just want to say Thank you for taking the time to read my story. May Allah bless you all.

Masaslaama

Musa Islam
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by Sweetnecta: 11:30pm On Dec 01, 2010
dexmond and co turned God to the like of Odumegu Ojukwu and son[s] transportation, in the God and His son mantra. grin

na today?

2 gods now is better or equal to 1?

will hinduism not be the best religion therefore?

And the igbo muslims doing well in the east, and outside nigeria are mumus?

imagine the days of idolatry as the premier religion in igboland.

and the few who were christians will be viewed by the majority idolaters, the same way as the igbo muslims are being viewed by christian igbos.
Re: Any Igbo Muslims In The House? by DRPYGRU: 9:45pm On Dec 05, 2013
Hehe

(1) (2) (Reply)

==> Shiloh 2008 Epistle <== / Adeboye Akingbola And The ‘private Jet’ Revisited / Can Rich Christians Make This Happen? Another N100, 000 up for grabs!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.