Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,565 members, 7,929,810 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 11:56 PM

Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple (834 Views)

Bill Gates' Wife Melinda Washes Plates, Carries Water On Head In Malawi (Photos) / Malawi, Congo, Bar South Africans From Entering Their Country / Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by Ikomi(m): 11:01am On May 18, 2010

A court in Malawi has convicted a gay couple of gross indecency and unnatural acts.

Steven Monjeza, 26, and Tiwonge Chimbalanga, 20, were arrested in December 2009 after celebrating their engagement.

They have been in jail ever since and could now face 14 years in prison.

They had denied both charges and their arrest had sparked a debate about homosexuality in the country.

I try hard to understand a lot of things, but why a man would fancy a fellow man is beyond my comprehension. Now this guys might spend 14years behind bars for being homosexuals. Why cant they just be straight, what in the world in their view is wrong with the feminine succulent body.
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by muhsin(m): 2:51pm On May 18, 2010
I too wonder o! shocked shocked shocked

BTW, that was a good punishment. Keep it up, Malawian court.
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by Ikomi(m): 8:17pm On May 18, 2010
muhsin:

I too wonder o! shocked shocked shocked

BTW, that was a good punishment. Keep it up, Malawian court.

We don't know if it is good punishment or not, since me and you cannot say if males are better than females sexually, since we have not tried it, so we can't Judge, and even if we have tried sleeping with males and we found the act abhorrent, note that one mans meat could be another mans poison.
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by bawomolo(m): 11:20pm On May 18, 2010
^^^
do u have relationships with the opposite gender solely for sexx?
you guys are onto something else with your homophobia.
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by shotster50(m): 12:13am On May 19, 2010
That Malawi court has the right idea ,  '14 years in prison for Gay Couple for acts against the order of nature' ,

So all you gay rights fu.c.ks, go over there and argue that bending over and having a c.o.c.k shoved up your chocolate starfish, then licking the poo off it, is normal and see where that gets you.

And take the f.u.c.ki.ng cast of Glee with you while you are at it.
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by bawomolo(m): 12:45am On May 19, 2010
the fact you watch glee but hate homos says a lot about you
denial is a byatch huh?
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by shotster50(m): 1:17am On May 19, 2010
@ Bawolomo,

You are making one hell of an assumption.
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by bawomolo(m): 3:47am On May 19, 2010
but glee is a show for women so what's the big deal
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by emiwanlee(m): 3:51am On May 19, 2010
good decision
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by shotster50(m): 6:36am On May 19, 2010
@ Bawolomo

The fact that you somehow deduced that I watch the show even though i did not state that anywhere in my last post. Going by your logic you are not far off yourself otherwise how do you know it is a show for women

Besides my previous post is what you call 'tongue in cheek' ,  do i need to explain that too
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by JeSoul(f): 3:20pm On May 19, 2010
Hmmm . . . I don't think any government anywhere should be in the business of legislating morality. I'm sure there're greater issues facing the Malawians that a couple gays dudes on each other.

But if the people of Malawi do not want gays in their land, then that is their business and their law to enforce.
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by bawomolo(m): 6:59pm On May 19, 2010
shotster50:

@ Bawolomo

The fact that you somehow deduced that I watch the show even though i did not state that anywhere in my last post. Going by your logic you are not far off yourself otherwise how do you know it is a show for women

Besides my previous post is what you call 'tongue in cheek' ,  do i need to explain that too

by watching the commercial duh.
this is from a guy who thinks sound of music is crap. i won't be caught watching glee cheesy

do you think this ruling is beneficial though? the last place you want a gay person to be is in prison with other men!!!!!
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by Ikomi(m): 7:32pm On May 19, 2010
bawomolo:

do you think this ruling is beneficial though? the last place you want a gay person to be is in prison with other men!!!!!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Are u suggesting they be placed in female jails, that might double as a correction centre.

These guys wont kill me.
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by bawomolo(m): 7:51pm On May 19, 2010
Ikomi:

Are u suggesting they be placed in female jails, that might double as a correction centre.

These guys wont kill me.

you know these guys would willingly drop the soap. they probably would have beauty pageants and stuff in their jail cell cheesy
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by otawa: 8:02pm On May 19, 2010
The real question: is this 'ACT' illegal in Malawian Law?

If Yes, then end of story. Dont break the law.

It is same where in USA, you will be charge for practicing Polygamy.
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by Ikomi(m): 8:43pm On May 19, 2010
otawa:

The real question: is this 'ACT' illegal in Malawian Law?

No thats not the question, the question on this thread is: "Does this law give equal right to all Malawi citizens"
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by bawomolo(m): 9:15pm On May 19, 2010
i do not think so, let them be gay if they want to be gay.
sending them to jail isn't going to solve the problem. its not as if malawi jails are booming with psychologists or counselors (that's if you consider homosexuality a 'problem').
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by alicianna(f): 6:13am On May 20, 2010
Ikomi:

No thats not the question, the question on this thread is: "Does this law give equal right to all Malawi citizens"

I agree with Otawa. Did they break the law? Yes.
It's quite simple you know. Homosexuality is illegal in Malawi. To each country, it's own.
Using Otawa's point, polygamy is illegal in the states, one could easily also argue that this does not give equal rights to American citizens.
Now the question should be more in terms of crime and punishment. Was the sentencing too harsh for the crime?
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by Ikomi(m): 10:46am On May 20, 2010
alicianna:

I agree with Otawa. Did they break the law? Yes.
It's quite simple you know. Homosexuality is illegal in Malawi. To each country, it's own.
Using Otawa's point, polygamy is illegal in the states, one could easily also argue that this does not give equal rights to American citizens.
Now the question should be more in terms of crime and punishment. Was the sentencing too harsh for the crime?

In that case I think the Judge got it all wrong, these guys are going to come out as not only gays after 14 years but also as hardened criminals.

I believe the Judge ruled with his emotion than wit.

Meanwhile:

In Uganda, plans to introduce draconian new laws against homosexuality look likely to go ahead despite mass protests, a major petition, and condemnation from the international community.

The bill, which proposes the death penalty for so-called 'serial offenders', has already been described as 'odious' by President Obama.

A senior minister in Kampala has suggested that the death penalty could be replaced with life imprisonment.

grin  grin  grin  grin  grin  grin  grin  grin

All gays in Africa should seek asylum in the west.
Re: Malawi Court Convicts Gay Couple by Ikomi(m): 6:00pm On May 29, 2010
A gay couple jailed in Malawi after getting engaged have been pardoned by President Bingu wa Mutharika.
grin

Why jail them in the first place? Nonesence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/10190653.stm

(1) (Reply)

Obama Holding Shirt / Countries With No Extradition Treaties With The USA / Why Are Blacks Heading Most Of US Agencies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.