Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,914 members, 7,872,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:19 AM

Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments (2260 Views)

Oldies: Legends That Sang Into Our Hearts Back In The Days / Bob Marley Show Your Respect / Faze's Originality And Tuface's Ustoppable, Reviews And Comments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by funkybaby(f): 3:08pm On May 19, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Nice one.

My next subject: Naughty by Nature. Latifah's boys. Abi una young kids no sabi NBN as well?

uncle ajanlekoko, we sabi Naughty by Nature.

Haba, we are not that dull grin
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by funkybaby(f): 3:11pm On May 19, 2010
AjanleKoko:

A great group. Q Tip, Ali Shaheed Mohammed, Phife Dawg and the occasional Jerobi.

My next subject: Kool G Rap, of Kool G Rap and DJ Polo fame. Another alumnus of Marley Marl's school of rap.

Remember the Heavy D joint of 92, Don't Curse? Featured Q[b] Tip, Phife Dawg, Big Daddy Kane, Pete Rock, and a relatively unknown Jigga (yes o!). Kool G Rap was on that joint. [/b]
He started out with DJ Polo, and they dropped 3 albums, Live & Let Die, Wanted Dead or Alive, and Road To The Riches. His solo career I think had one relatively successful album - 4,5,6, featuring Nas on a track 'Fast Life'.

Kool G Rap provided the foreword for the 2009 book How to Rap: The Art & Science of the Hip-Hop MC, also providing insight into his multisyllabic rhyming technique. He's also credited by Wikipedia as the first rapper to introduce mafioso content into his lyrics, even before Ice T or NWA.

never heard of those names apart from heavy d and big daddy kane
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by semid4lyfe(m): 3:33pm On May 19, 2010
AjanleKoko:

See this dude. Back in my uni days, I ran a pirate radio station on campus, along with some buddies, DJd at shows and parties, was even part of a band for a while, with one dude who is now a very popular home video actor. You go sabi am but I no go mention im name. Let's just say he is the one of the few in the Yoruba movie circuit that isn't from a mechanic or agbero background.
na GPA crisis force my retirement grin
Bros, u nor go too vex for me o. . .jor ma binu grin. I once browsed thru' like 4 pages of your previous posts and there was nothing to show you were inclined towards music talk-less of RAP/HipHop. I had you figured as a Careers, Foreign affairs, Politics and Sports guy. Even the music sef, I bin dey think se na Mozart and im likes go be to your fancy grin grin
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by AjanleKoko: 3:42pm On May 19, 2010
funkybaby:

never heard of those names apart from heavy d and big daddy kane:

Kool G Rap, of Kool G Rap and DJ Polo fame. Another alumnus of Marley Marl's school of rap.

Q Tip, Phife Dawg, Big Daddy Kane, Pete Rock, and a relatively unknown Jigga

Q Tip and Phife Dawg are from a Tribe Called Quest. Pete Rock I just wrote about. Jigga is none other than Jay Z.
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by bgees(m): 3:46pm On May 19, 2010
Apart from NWA, Kool G Rap, Geto Boyz, Run DMC, Tribe Called Quest, EPMD, the other rappers were nothing spectacular.

p.s T.I is a lot better than some of the old rappers u mentioned.
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by AjanleKoko: 3:49pm On May 19, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Bros, u nor go too vex for me o. . .jor ma binu grin. I once browsed thru' like 4 pages of your previous posts and there was nothing to show you were inclined towards music talk-less of RAP/HipHop. I had you figured as a Careers, Foreign affairs, Politics and Sports guy. Even the music sef, I bin dey think se na Mozart and im likes go be to your fancy grin grin

You know, I am also into Mozart and im likes. I even tried to start a Classical thread, but una bone am.
I am kind of musical, actually. You no see my posts on rock? As a youngun, I studied music genres for the heck of it,and devoted myself to listening. But as a black man, how I no go follow Rap? The 90s was excellent for rap. That decade is referred to as the Golden Age of Rap.
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by eldee(m): 3:52pm On May 19, 2010
bgees:

Apart from NWA, Kool G Rap, Geto Boyz, Run DMC, Tribe Called Quest, EPMD, the other rappers were nothing spectacular.

p.s[b] T.I is a lot better than some of the old rappers u mentioned.[/b]

Thank you!!!
Some people are of the opinion that . . . 'because they were there before, they must be legendary'
That's how some people came out to say Oliseh was better that Essien. . . unto wetin.
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by rocnaija(m): 3:53pm On May 19, 2010
AjanleKoko:

You know, I am also into Mozart and im likes. I even tried to start a Classical thread, but una bone am.
I am kind of musical, actually. You no see my posts on rock? As a youngun, I studied music genres for the heck of it,and devoted myself to listening. But as a black man, how I no go follow Rap? The 90s was excellent for rap. That decade is referred to as the Golden Age of Rap.

^ Lol. . . Don't hold back on fanning that ego then. cool
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by eldee(m): 3:57pm On May 19, 2010
Someone on this thread actually put 'lyrically' and 'MC Hammer' in one breath. grin grin
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by AjanleKoko: 4:02pm On May 19, 2010
bgees:

p.s T.I is a lot better than some of the old rappers u mentioned.

I have a confession to make. I no mind TI grin

But I no gree o. Where you leave De La Soul, Jungle Brothas,  Lords of The Underground, Black Moon, Craig Mack, Warren G, Ice T, Tim Dawg, Das-Efx, Special Ed, Masta Ace, Black Sheep, Grand Puba of Brand Nubian, Speech of Arrested Development, Salt N Pepa, Monie Love, Yo-Yo, Rob Base & EZ Rock, Coolio, MC Lyte, Public Enemy, Mobb Deep, Gangstarr, Greg Nice of Nice N Smooth, Slick Rick, Eric B & Rakim, Ed OG, 2 Live Crew, Kid N Play, etc., etc.?
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by AjanleKoko: 4:05pm On May 19, 2010
rocnaija:

^ Lol. . . Don't hold back on fanning that ego then. cool

lipsrsealed

Ok, changed my mind and decided to comment. No be ego matter. I guess we all had hobbies, or still do. Back then, mine was music.
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by AjanleKoko: 4:12pm On May 19, 2010
eldee:

Thank you!!!
Some people are of the opinion that . . . 'because they were there before, they must be legendary'
That's how some people came out to say Oliseh was better that Essien. . . unto wetin.

Fair enough. Actually, that era is regarded as a golden era for rap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_golden_age_of_hip_hop

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Golden%20Age%20of%20Hip%20Hop

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/williamherbert/best_golden_age_hip_hop_albums/
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by funkybaby(f): 4:16pm On May 19, 2010
AjanleKoko:

But I no gree o. Where you leave De La Soul, Jungle Brothas, Lords of The Underground, Black Moon, Craig Mack, Warren G, Ice T, Tim Dawg, Das-Efx, Special Ed, Masta Ace, Black Sheep, Grand Puba of Brand Nubian, Speech of Arrested Development, Salt N Pepa, Monie Love, Yo-Yo, Rob Base & EZ Rock, Coolio, MC Lyte, Public Enemy, Mobb Deep, Gangstarr, Greg Nice of Nice N Smooth, Slick Rick, Eric B & Rakim, Ed OG, 2 Live Crew, Kid N Play, etc., etc.?

more familiar terrain.

wat happened to kid N play, yo-yo undecided
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by mufasa(m): 4:29pm On May 19, 2010
I think if you are so into music and all, you wouldnt mind looking for the old guys and listening to them. I wasnt around in the 70s but i ve got loads of music from that age and even b4.
NBN was ill, they held it down till Chingy and TI sent em packing. Treach was ill, dropping sick lines all the time.
LL Cool J was cool too.
But one man that stood the test of time is Busta Rhymes, damn that guy has outlived so many and he is still relevant.

My love for music wont let me say One Generation of Rappers are better than the next.

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msq6s_t42OA[/flash]
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by AjanleKoko: 4:51pm On May 19, 2010
mufasa:

My love for music wont let me say One Generation of Rappers are better than the next.

I don't think it's about one generation being better than the next. Though some of us (albeit selfishly!) think that era was much more righteous than today's stretch limo/popping bubbly/bling bling/video hos era. But every area of human endeavour has a prolific period. For rap, the late eighties to mid nineties was it.

Just like someone ten years from now will look at the last decade and proclaim it the Golden Era of Naija music cool
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by bgees(m): 5:09pm On May 19, 2010
AjanleKoko:

I have a confession to make. I no mind TI grin

But I no gree o. Where you leave De La Soul, Jungle Brothas,  Lords of The Underground, Black Moon, Craig Mack, Warren G, Ice T, Tim Dawg, Das-Efx, Special Ed, Masta Ace, Black Sheep, Grand Puba of Brand Nubian, Speech of Arrested Development, Salt N Pepa, Monie Love, Yo-Yo, Rob Base & EZ Rock, Coolio, MC Lyte, Public Enemy, [b]Mobb Deep, Gangstarr, [/b]Greg Nice of Nice N Smooth, Slick Rick,[b] Eric B & Rakim, [/b]Ed OG, 2 Live Crew, Kid N Play, etc., etc.?

I'm kind of familiar with old school rap, but 90 percent of the guys u just listed were NOTHING!! except the ones I put in bold.
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by AjanleKoko: 5:35pm On May 19, 2010
^^
Entirely your opinion.
Every single one of those dudes/divas/groups have featured on Billboard with at least one hit single in the Top 100 at some point in their careers.
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by eldee(m): 11:00pm On May 19, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Fair enough. Actually, that era is regarded as a golden era for rap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_golden_age_of_hip_hop

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Golden%20Age%20of%20Hip%20Hop

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/williamherbert/best_golden_age_hip_hop_albums/

It is regarded as the golden age of hiphop because they made the genre not because they were actually that lyrical.
Isn't it the same people that came out to say Biggie is the best rapper ever . . . nostalgia is a bitch, in 15 years time Lil Wayne will come out to say his era was the best too.
That doesn't take anything from the fact that they did the hard job of starting a genre of music though, but if we're to tell the truth, they pale in comparism to rappers in the 90s.

I see why that era is respected, it was the cross over into lyricsm from the original founders, but I think the most lyrically inclined rappers are from the 90s not the late 80s.
Pac, Immortal Technique are more revolutionary than Public Enemy, gangsta music from Bigge, Big Pun and Big L in the 90s was more descriptive than NWA's F*** Tha Police, styles of delivery multiplied with guys like Eminem, Snoop, Outcast and these people . . . even the best beats are from the late 90s till date.
It's simple, 90s rappers sat on the shoulders of great men, so they saw further.
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by hax: 11:47pm On May 19, 2010
bgees:

I'm kind of familiar with old school rap, but 90 percent of the guys u just listed were NOTHING!! except the ones I put in bold.

whatthefuh?
Coolio and Grand Puba were 'something', and Masta Ace, Edo G, Eric B & Rakim, Slick Rick and DE LA SOUL were 'nothing'?

eldee:

It is regarded as the golden age of hiphop because they made the genre not because they were actually that lyrical.
Isn't it the same people that came out to say Biggie is the best rapper ever . . . nostalgia is a naughty woman, in 15 years time Lil Wayne will come out to say his era was the best too.
That doesn't take anything from the fact that they did the hard job of starting a genre of music though, but if we're to tell the truth, they pale in comparism to rappers in the 90s.
QFT
We agree for once! cheesy lol

Apart from the whole Biggie-Weezy-nostalgia part though. Lemme just savour the moment and ignore it. lol

I see why that era is respected, it was the cross over into lyricsm from the original founders, but I think the most lyrically inclined rappers are from the 90s not the late 80s.
Pac, Immortal Technique are more revolutionary than Public Enemy, gangsta music from Bigge, Big Pun and Big L in the 90s was more descriptive than NWA's F*** Tha Police, styles of delivery multiplied with guys like Eminem, Snoop, Outcast and these people . . . even the best beats are from the late 90s till date.
It's simple, 90s rappers sat on the shoulders of great men, so they saw further.
Don't really agree about the best beats though. Stuff like Illmatic, 93 til' infinity, The Infamous, Ready To Die, Reasonable Doubt, Liquid Swords, Moment Of Truth, etc had (I don't want to use the word classic) timeless beats. And samples. 90's Primo = win.
All Young Money uses now is synths. lol
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by bgees(m): 5:32am On May 20, 2010
^ that was a mistake on my part, i forgot to include Rakim and co.
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by bjmighty(m): 7:02am On May 20, 2010
I started listening to Rap music back in 1994/1995. I had this Uncle then, he is late now, he was a big fan of 2pac, BIG, Coolio, LL cool J and legendary KRS1. He influenced me into listening to all these artiste but then 2pac caught my attention in all of them so i settled down to listen to no other rapper except 2Pac, i'll only slam Biggie just once in a while when i just feel. It was always 2pac and some Biggie and maybe some KRS maybe undecided But when 2pac got shot, i broke up with BIG and other and went back to my 2pac and listened to ONLY 2pac for a whole year. Then in 1999 i started bleeping with Nas, Jayz, Ice Cube, Dre and Snoop dogg. Basically, am not a fan of just rap music but Rap music with sick Lyrics. Am a Lyrical Rap fan. I'll never listen to Baby, Soulja boi, Lil jon e.t.c that just make noise on crunk beats. Right now am a big fan of:

- 2PAC a.k.a Killilluminati, Outlaw, Makavelli, the Don. The Immortal Thug! 21 gunshot salute. (I got a tat of him on my right arm, so u know am crazy bout Pac)
- Biggie Smalls. . . .Nigga is sick with rhymes.
- The Game . . . He is the future of the west coast and nigga is sick with em gangsta flows (400bars will be my best rap song of 2010)
- Papoose . . . . . . Damn it! , I just downloaded his discography, about 20 albums and mix-tapes in it. This guys is ILL!!!! From Alphabetical slaughter, Law library to Bleep with Papoose to What is papoose. Papoose is my best lyricist as as now!!!!
Nas - Nas used to be my doppest but am not understanding escobar this days. Illmatic and Stillmatic are my fav.
Jayz - He is just there. I only kick him when i wann relax!!!
Eminem - I dont kick his albums but i always look forward to any collabo that has him on it
Lil wayne - Dude is ill with em sick flow. Lil wayne is the only artiste i know that will flow perfectly on Haruna Ishola or Obey's beat and kill it!!! grin grin grin
Ludacris - I trowey salute for Luda!!!!

So there u have it as for me oo
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by mufasa(m): 7:43am On May 20, 2010
Somebody said these guys were nothing then. What is your yard stick of measurement? These guys easily push multimillion record sales then despite the fact they were nothing. Besides rap music was strictly a black peoples rock then. Now its more main stream yet they still find it pretty difficult to get sales up. But then again internet, limewire and isohunt are all contributing to that.

I didnt wanna mention Notorious BIG, i can place him in the old skool category he was way ahead of em. I will rather tag him Middle School with Tupac, Jay Z and Nas. I think these cats were the only ones what mentioning during their own phase. Let me not forget Q-Tip and The-LOX. Loved em to death.

Biggie was the greatest and he still is. But i see Weazy sneaking up. Yes y'all might scream he's autotune and he doesnt rap etc But that what it takes to be relevant. Y'all should listen to The Young Money album and His own albums. He is on point and this is from someone who grew up listening to loads of rap music from the eighties and beyond.

[flash=300,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGUhu5BUOKg[/flash]
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by eldee(m): 8:50am On May 20, 2010
hax:

Apart from the whole Biggie-Weezy-nostalgia part though. Lemme just savour the moment and ignore it. lol

Believe me, in 15 years time, people will come out and say Lil Wayne was the best rapper of all time.
Music is a subjective thing . . . I agree with that, what I don't agree with is the fact that the posters on this thread praise Young MC in one second and throw away 50 Cent.

hax:

Don't really agree about the best beats though. Stuff like Illmatic, 93 til' infinity, The Infamous, Ready To Die, Reasonable Doubt, Liquid Swords, Moment Of Truth, etc had (I don't want to use the word classic) timeless beats. And samples. 90's Primo = win.
All Young Money uses now is synths. lol

Come on . . . beats were best in the late 90s with the new influence of technology.
That's the first time since the 80s that you could buy an album just for the beats . . . 50 Cent sold Dre beats to us two times. . . till today, I don't know the lyrics of Ruff Ryders Anthem . . . Jay-Z did Black album with practically a different producer for every song, name one bad beat on that album . . . and don't tell me the crunk beats of the HHID era were bad, infact everyone admitted that they made real good beats but had songs without content.
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by AjanleKoko: 12:20pm On May 20, 2010
eldee:

Believe me, in 15 years time, people will come out and say Lil Wayne was the best rapper of all time.
Music is a subjective thing . . . I agree with that, what I don't agree with is the fact that the posters on this thread praise Young MC in one second and throw away 50 Cent.

Come on . . . beats were best in the late 90s with the new influence of technology.
That's the first time since the 80s that you could buy an album just for the beats . . . 50 Cent sold Dre beats to us two times. . . till today, I don't know the lyrics of Ruff Ryders Anthem . . . Jay-Z did Black album with practically a different producer for every song, name one bad beat on that album . . . and don't tell me the crunk beats of the HHID era were bad, infact everyone admitted that they made real good beats but had songs without content.

Nice one, eldee. I agree with your assessment, with a slight modification though.
In my view, late 80s was mainly a definition of the genre by the genre; since the Sugar Hill Gang and Kurtis Blow era was mainly club, rhyme and disco.
1990 saw out the disco era with our friends MC Hammer and Young MC, Rob Base & EZ Rock, Kool Mo Dee, Kid N Play, and the rest of them. The lyrical era started in the early 90s. 91 to 93 we began to see a lot of prolific rhyming, and the coming to the fore of the underground movement. Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, Diggable Planets and others like them.

For me, you have the emergence of the guys who ruled the late 90s coming to the fore in the early 90s. For example, Tupac, Biggie(remember the Real Love with Mary J Blige?), Nas ( It ain't hard To Tell) the Fugees (they had a weak joint in '93, before The Score), Ill Al Skratch and Big L, Wu Tang Clan, Coolio, Outkast's Playerz Ball, and a whole bunch of others.

The world felt them in the early 90s, and they perfected their act with technology in the late 90s. Some of us still believe Death Row's best work was done between 1991 and 1994.
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by Sauron1: 1:27pm On May 20, 2010
Rap died in the 90s. . . . .
That is ALL i have to say.

U can never compare what Rap vets did in the 90s to what clowns like Kanye and co are doing now.
In the 90s, the beats, the production and the skillz were top drawer.

Can any rap album in these days match 2Pac's "The Don Killuminati" in sheer intensity and raw passion?
I doubt it.
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by medjai(m): 4:33pm On May 20, 2010
bjmighty:

I started listening to Rap music back in 1994/1995. I had this Uncle then, he is late now, he was a big fan of 2pac, BIG, Coolio, LL cool J and legendary KRS1. He influenced me into listening to all these artiste but then 2pac caught my attention in all of them so i settled down to listen to no other rapper except 2Pac, i'll only slam Biggie just once in a while when i just feel. It was always 2pac and some Biggie and maybe some KRS maybe undecided But when 2pac got shot, i broke up with BIG and other and went back to my 2pac and listened to ONLY 2pac for a whole year. Then in 1999 i started bleeping with Nas, Jayz, Ice Cube, Dre and Snoop dogg. Basically, am not a fan of just rap music but Rap music with sick Lyrics. Am a Lyrical Rap fan. I'll never listen to Baby, Soulja boi, Lil jon e.t.c that just make noise on crunk beats. Right now am a big fan of:

- 2PAC a.k.a Killilluminati, Outlaw, Makavelli, the Don. The Immortal Thug! 21 gunshot salute. (I got a tat of him on my right arm, so u know am crazy bout Pac)
- Biggie Smalls. . . .Nigga is sick with rhymes.
- The Game . . . He is the future of the west coast and nigga is sick with em gangsta flows (400bars will be my best rap song of 2010)
- Papoose . . . . . . Damn it! , I just downloaded his discography, about 20 albums and mix-tapes in it. This guys is ILL!!!! From Alphabetical slaughter, Law library to bleep with Papoose to What is papoose. Papoose is my best lyricist as as now!!!!
Nas - Nas used to be my doppest but am not understanding escobar this days. Illmatic and Stillmatic are my fav.
Jayz - He is just there. I only kick him when i wann relax!!!
Eminem - I dont kick his albums but i always look forward to any collabo that has him on it
Lil wayne - Dude is ill with em sick flow. Lil wayne is the only artiste i know that will flow perfectly on Haruna Ishola or Obey's beat and kill it!!! grin grin grin
Ludacris - I trowey salute for Luda!!!!

So there u have it as for me oo
Papoose's 2010 mixtape, dont know if its dropped, will be his 21st mixtape. He doesnt have an album but you are right, dude is one of the sickest lyricist in the game and he hasnt really blown.
Nowadays, i listen to mixtapes more than i do albums. Most albums are commercially structured to achieve mainstream success. If you want to get the best of hard hip hop then mixtapes are the ish.
Hip hop has really drifted from being about tight lyrics to solely being about beats. Nobody cares bout what you saying anymore, just place it on nice beats and good to blow.
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by bgees(m): 9:21pm On May 20, 2010
Papoose made a lot of mixtapes, he couldn't make a good album. I dont even reckon with him anymore.
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by hax: 10:16pm On May 20, 2010
eldee:

Nope. Peoples aren't saying Guru was the best of all time, and he's dead. Neither are they saying Snoop is the best of all time. Why should Weezy be called the best? Considering the fact that he sings half the time. And the music he releases till then will matter. If he keeps dropping sh!tt like a bird, his reputation is going to go down. He has to be consistent, somehow like T.I. Or he'll lose relevance. This is hip-hop after all. Look how quickly 50 lost it.

You said late 90's. I disagree. Ready to Die, Illmatic were early-mid 90's. Same with 93' til infinity and 36 chambers, Chronic, G-Funk Era, every Wu debut solo album (Liquid Swords, OB4CL, Ironman, Tical, ODB's, etc), Doe or Die, Midnight Maurauders, The Infamous (mad pprops to Havoc), Me Against The World, etc. They had sick beats. And I feel earlier rappers were let off for weaker lyrics too. 'More drugs than a pharmacy' and 'High as a motherfxcking helicopter' would be labelled as wack now, but from Biggie's lips, they're cool. People went easy on the lyrics of the earlier rappers too, so it's not as if it's only the lyrics that sold albums, the beats played a big part too. They always have.

Why did Nas fall off? Consistently picking bad beats. Or do you think he has an album with better beats than Illmatic?

Jay-Z too. American Gangster was fxcking sick production-wise, but BP3 and KC were not. Reasonable doubt is widely regarded as his best album. Blueprint 1 had better beats than TBA. Kanye's beats after Late Registration dropped in quality. I'd say the best beats started earlier than that. I'd say 93'-'94. Beats back then were raw. Everything these days is over-produced/R&B/party-ish. But the best beats of recent times are better than most of what came out in the early-mid 90's. I'll give you that. There are just too many timeless beats from back in the days.

Which of these tracks have you heard? If you haven't heard any and you have quick internet, youtube them.

Mobb Deep- Give Up The Goods (off The Infamous)
GangStarr- What I'm Here 4 (off Moment of Truth)
GZA- Swordsman (off Liquid Swords)

I'd list more, but I'm too lazy. lol
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by medjai(m): 10:23pm On May 20, 2010
Papoose cudnt get a record deal. He got one with Jive records back in 2007, then he dropped the '1.5 million dollar man' mixtape but they wanted him to switch the style up and the contract was kind of exploitative so he and DJ Kayslay left. Since then the hype around him has sort of died but he still has enough underground cred. Truth is, Papoose is a sick lyricist anyday. Its just cos Hip hop is in ICU that someone like Pap cant get a deal.
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by chiogo(f): 10:58pm On May 21, 2010
Give it up for Biggie Smalls. Today's his birthday. Gotta show love to my Taurus people.
Never was into his music though, I'm a Pac lover. But Biggie is(was) a legend in his own right, been bumping to his 'Ready to die' lately, he was great. 

"Birthdays were the worst days. .
Now we sip champagne when we thirstaay" smiley
Re: Rap Legends Of The Last Century - Drop Your Respect and Comments by lekside44(m): 10:30am On May 29, 2010
rap all started with curtis blow with releases such as holiday back in 1982. it  has transfomed into a culture and way of life in the late 80's. mtv intially refused to show rap musical videos, but have no option by showing the run dmc video, becoming the first musical video to be shown on mtv. well, ll cool j's i need love  is the first rap album to sell in the millions making a sales of 3 million copy. this song is so powerful that in todays tage, i is still evergreen. then came public enemy whose rap music influence violent in america. nwa started the gangstar lyrics. i generally came to love rap when i heared queen latefa. not forgetting the 2 live crew, the group that started the sex thing in rap and musical videos.it is a pitty that with the exception of few rapers now such as jazzy,smooth shady,kay west, many of the so called rap musics are trash

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does Rita Ora Resembles Rihanna? / [mixtape] DJ Ucee – Best Of Duncan Mighty Mix / Instrumental – Mr P Ft. Niniola – One More Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.