Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,581 members, 7,975,273 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 08:40 PM

Which Do You Prefer - Representative Democracy, Monarchy Or Kratocracy? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Do You Prefer - Representative Democracy, Monarchy Or Kratocracy? (443 Views)

The Sham Of Nigeria’s Representative Democracy / Cyril Oshiomhole, Adams Oshiomhole’s Son, Contesting For House Of Representative / Who Would you prefer to be Nigeria next president?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Which Do You Prefer - Representative Democracy, Monarchy Or Kratocracy? by ConsensusGroup: 5:25pm On Apr 30, 2018
I would contend that the system of representative democratic government practiced in Nigeria today is both monarchical and kratocratic.

Having lived in a country with a constitutional monarchy, I can authoritatively say that Nigeria is part monarchy as the head of state here is also the head of government.

What is worse, the love and adulation which ought to be reserved for a monarch is directed towards the government which can only cause confusion.

As someone once put it "a head of state kisses babies, a head of government ensures that there are babies who are healthy enough to be kissed. A head of government ensures that a project is completed on time, a head of state is there to open a project once it is completed."

So, unfortunately, the political setup is one of deference to the government where there should be none.

The mindset ought to be one of "I tell you what to do and you get it done yesterday because I pay taxes and the government is my employee".

Nigeria is kratocratic because it is governed by those who are strong enough to seize power through coercive power, social persuasion, or deceptive cunning.

Furthermore, why do we cling on to so-called "experienced" leaders? The mindset must change.

Anyone of voting age ought to have the right to be elected. Imposing arbitrary age limits is a vote of no confidence in the electorate.

Lastly, anyone — educated or uneducated and "experienced" or inexperienced — ought to be able to run for public office.

We have to start trusting ourselves to make the right decisions because Nigerians are not stupid people.

#nigeriansarenotstupid #getyouracttogether
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Representative Democracy, Monarchy Or Kratocracy? by 6660M0666: 5:43pm On Apr 30, 2018
You think too highly of Nigerian Political System.
What we practice here is neither Democracy nor Monarchy, but profound ANARCHY. Anybody can do as he wills. Everything is just masked in a facade of CRAZY-DEMO.

(1) (Reply)

The Power Of Integrity / PDP On A Rescue Mission In Nigeria – Secondus / Aisha Buhari, Liberia Vice President At The African Women Summit For Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.