Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,165 members, 7,887,397 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:16 AM

What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? (16023 Views)

Naira Appreciation: Apostle Johnson Suleman Blasts Nigerians That Are Unhappy / What Does The Bible Have To Say About YAHOO YAHOO? / "Buhari’s Ministers Are Unhappy" - Bishop Kukah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by atoleybaba(m): 9:22am On May 06, 2018
yeyerolling:
tell that to chris and anita tongue
ok
Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by newgen2016: 9:27am On May 06, 2018
Mark 10:11–12 Jesus said, “A man who divorces his wife so he can marry someone else commits adultery against her. And a woman who divorces her husband so she can marry someone else commits adultery.”

I think the underlying word here is the intention for the divorce. If the intention is based on voilent or unhappy marriage I see no sin. However if due to another woman or man which usually comes about from not being faithful to your partner (adultery) before the declaration to divoce then I believe it's a sin.

Just my thoughts anyway

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by obowunmi(m): 9:30am On May 06, 2018
The bible says Leave on, Move On.

Marriage is not the way Nigerians treat it. There is no marriage in heaven.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by Nobody: 9:53am On May 06, 2018
PstBiola:
One thing we know for sure: being in an unhappy marriage is not biblical grounds for divorce. In Mark 10:11–12 Jesus said, “A man who divorces his wife so he can marry someone else commits adultery against her. And a woman who divorces her husband so she can marry someone else commits adultery.” Based on the Bible, we see that people don’t have the right to dissolve an unhappy marriage. God intended that marriage be for a lifetime.

Ephesians 5 presents marriage as a picture of the relationship God has with us. This is one reason why God has such an interest in keeping marriages intact. Failed marriages and broken homes are devastating to the husband and wife, not to mention the children involved. Financial ruin is only one of the unhappy results of divorce. The family unit is the basic building block of any society, and rampant divorce has a tragic impact on all of the culture.

This is not to say that God wants to force us to remain forever in an unhappy marriage. He doesn't ask us to just grit our teeth and suffer through it. When God approaches marital problems, He does so from the perspective of how to fix them, not how to dissolve the marriage. For example, Paul writes of demonic impact in marriages (1 Corinthians 7:5). He states that the couple should be active in the sexual relationship so that Satan cannot tempt them. Peter encourages husbands to treat their wives with understanding so that their prayers will not be hindered (1 Peter 3:7). From these passages we can see that marriage is a spiritual battlefield. It takes work to fight for the relationship, not to fight in the relationship.

God encourages us toward reconciliation. Matthew 18:15–16 demands open, honest communication that deals with hurts and frustrations caused by sin. It even encourages us to get help to resolve problems. God also calls us to find our joy or happiness in Him (Philippians 4:4). The joy of the Lord is something you can have regardless of conditions. In all of God’s guidelines for experiencing joy, none of them require a spouse to cooperate. A spouse does not control our capacity to have joy or peace. James 1:3–4 tells us that deep, abiding joy comes as we persevere through trials, with God’s help, and as our faith matures and strengthens.

The book of Philippians is a great study in the difference between joy and happiness. Written by the apostle Paul while imprisoned in Rome, this book uses the words joy, rejoice, and joyful 16 times and teaches us how to have true contentment in Jesus Christ, despite our circumstances. In chains, Paul talks about his faith and trust in Christ and how it had changed his whole perspective on suffering.

God has given husbands clear-cut instructions in Ephesians 5:25–28: “Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it. . . . So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loves his wife loves himself.” To wives, God’s instruction is to submit to their husbands’ leadership (verse 22) and to respect their husbands (verse 33). In a Christ-like spirit, both are to submit to one another (Ephesians 5:21). If both spouses are living up to their biblical responsibilities, there will be joy and happiness in the marriage. What woman wouldn't respect and submit to a man who loves her the way Christ loves His church? And what man wouldn't love a woman who respects and submits to him? The unhappiness that is present in too many marriages is often a result of one or both parties refusing to submit to God and obey His revealed will for marriage. Sometimes the unhappiness is exacerbated by unresolved issues of one party that have leaked into the marriage. In those cases, individual counseling may be helpful in addition to marriage counseling.

Even if an unhappy marriage results from a believer being married to an unbeliever, there is always the possibility the believing spouse can lead the unbelieving spouse to the Lord by his or her chaste conduct and kind demeanor. “Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives when they see the purity and reverence of your lives” (1 Peter 3:1). The Bible specifically addresses those who are married to unbelievers in 1 Corinthians 7:12–14: “… If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband.”

In the end, we must remember that “the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and His ears are open to their prayers; but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil” (1 Peter 3:12). God knows the pain of an unhappy marriage, and He understands fleshly desires, but He has given His Word to us on this matter and He does ask for obedience. Obedience to God always brings joy (Romans 16:19).

I guess ur still around 19/20 years old.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by realmindz: 9:56am On May 06, 2018
chairman00100:

the laws of GOD are made for those who will keep it, and those that try to keep it are those who will have a chance at GOD'S heaven, you don't have anything to lose by trying, it might turn out to be true, as for me I already believe.

Laws like this;

Deuteronomy 13 vs 6 10

If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them. You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people.
Stone them to death, because they tried to turn you away from the LORD your God
Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by Addilelgi(m): 10:10am On May 06, 2018
am really blessed by this article. JESUS IS STILL SAYING SOMETHING TODAY

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by kapelvej: 10:34am On May 06, 2018
atoleybaba:
actually d bible gives room for separation in a marriage that can lead to one of the partner losing his/her life buh the person is to remain unmarry except on the ground of adultery..... U make d bible had to understand when it is actually a book that can make ur life better...."all scriptures is inspired by God it's beneficial for reproving, for setting things straight, for discipline in righousness visit jw.org and find more interesting thing but d bible that u av not heard of before
I think you should explain in plain English. What I know is this, and I will be happy to be corrected.

1 the only reason for divorce is adultery
2 and when choose adultery instead of forgiveness, then neither party can remarry again until one of the party is dead.

Please if I am wrong, correct me in simple explanation with biblical references

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by atoleybaba(m): 11:06am On May 06, 2018
kapelvej:
I think you should explain in plain English. What I know is this, and I will be happy to be corrected.

2 and when choose adultery instead of forgiveness, then neither party can remarry again until one of the party is dead.

u are correct with your first point but ur 2nd point, I understand ur sentiment but u also need to know that being divorce means u are no longer bonded with d person which means u are free to do whatever u wish either to remain single or remarry. Note that separation is different from divorce. So if u divorce, u are no longer yoked together meanwhile if u separate, u are still married but not just staying together. For more info visit www.jw.org
Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by kapelvej: 11:10am On May 06, 2018
atoleybaba:
u are correct with your first point but ur 2nd point, I understand ur sentiment but u also need to know that being divorce means u are no longer bonded with d person which means u are free to do whatever u wish either to remain single or remarry. Note that separation is different from divorce. So if u divorce, u are no longer yoked together meanwhile if u separate, u are still married but not just staying together. For more info visit www.jw.org
this is your explanation. I think this is how it should be, but this is not what the Bible said. Can you support your explanation with just one bible scripture ? Just one. Brother, there is non.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by mapist(m): 12:16pm On May 06, 2018
kapelvej:
Good article, but no solution. Resolving a crisis is not just the choice of one of the partners, both parties must be ready to sheath the sword. What about if all one of the party wants is divorce, can you force him or her to remain in the marriage ?

No be lie.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by opribo(m): 12:38pm On May 06, 2018
Nobody should die for nothing just because they want to stay married in an unhappy marriage.
Marriage they say is forever, so tell me how on earth a man or woman can remain unhappy for the rest of their lives just because they are married.

My own is that it is not a do or die matter, if there are children in between, think of their future first but if none. Quit. Many people have died of high BP, depression,loneliness, bad luck and others due to their spouses.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by chairman00100: 12:42pm On May 06, 2018
[color=#006600][/color]
yeyerolling:
tell that to chris and anita tongue

Are those real Christians? that a person claim to be a Christian or pastor doesn't make them Christians. real Christians are those who practice the teachings of JESUS CHRIST, quoting the bible from genesis to revelations doesn't make one a Christian, having a church of your own doesn't make one a Christian, every Christian is having a relationship with CHRIST JESUS, and if you are having that relationship with CHRIST JESUS you will not divorce your spouse because GOD hates divorce, and JESUS is here to do the will of GOD

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by Adamummya(f): 1:09pm On May 06, 2018
atoleybaba:
actually d bible gives room for separation in a marriage that can lead to one of the partner losing his/her life buh the person is to remain unmarry except on the ground of adultery..... U make d bible had to understand when it is actually a book that can make ur life better...."all scriptures is inspired by God it's beneficial for reproving, for setting things straight, for discipline in righousness visit jw.org and find more interesting thing bawt d bible that u av not heard of before

kudos to you...this is the reply I was looking for....
Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by godunia(m): 2:24pm On May 06, 2018
From the time Adam and Eve disobeyed God, marriage went into crisis no wonder Apostle Paul at 1 Cor 7:28 says those who marry will have tribulation in their flesh. Marriage therefore is a matter of choice, if you go into it with unreasonable expectations you will remain unhappy. Yet God recommended the following to minimise marital crisis 1) commitment that's the 2 shall become one 2) Husbands keep loving your wife as you love your own body 3) forgive one another freely even if you have a course to complain 4) accept that the man is the Head of the house (headship arrangement) 5) husbands accord your wife an honour as to the weaker vessel. You will agree with me that Bible advise on marriage is perfect. As a practical book it acknowledged the problem and proffered solutions. Marriage no be children biko
Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by nwamehn: 4:02pm On May 06, 2018
kapelvej:

Boss, your first point is very biblical, but ur second point? No!
Matthew 19 made it clear that the only condition for u to divorce ur wife or husband and marry another and not be termed a sinner is if he or she cheated on u.
There is no bible reference that says that if u divorce ur wife or husband because of adultery and marry another that u have sinned. If there is any, u can at least point it out maybe we can learn from that too.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by Nobody: 4:56pm On May 06, 2018
If one can divorce on the basis of Adultery, One should be able to let go on the basis of Attempted murder. Marriage is meant to be enjoyed.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by Nobody: 4:56pm On May 06, 2018
I
Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by kapelvej: 5:25pm On May 06, 2018
nwamehn:

Boss, your first point is very biblical, but ur second point? No!
Matthew 19 made it clear that the only condition for u to divorce ur wife or husband and marry another and not be termed a sinner is if he or she cheated on u.
There is no bible reference that says that if u divorce ur wife or husband because of adultery and marry another that u have sinned. If there is any, u can at least point it out maybe we can learn from that too.
1 Corinthians 7.38
Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by folaski: 6:41pm On May 06, 2018
kapelvej:
Good article, but no solution. Resolving a crisis is not just the choice of one of the partners, both parties must be ready to sheath the sword. What about if all one of the party wants is divorce, can you force him or her to remain in the marriage ?

In a Christian marriage there is no room for divorce at all. infact the Bible says God hates divorce (Malachi 2:16). Issues must be discussed and resolved. For a Christian to say that he or she wants out is an outright disobedience. The way out us to take the matter back to God with all sincerity. The parties should also seek councel from christian marriage concellor or much more matured christian couples.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by atoleybaba(m): 6:47pm On May 06, 2018
kapelvej:
this is your explanation. I think this is how it should be, but this is not what the Bible said. Can you support your explanation with just one bible scripture ? Just one. Brother, there is non.
one bible quote that says u can remarry? Come on everyone or every society's law permit people to remarry when u divorce even during the time of the Israelite so u don't need a bible quotation for whether u can remarry Jesus only checkmated how people divorce. Ur question is like asking me to show where in d bible says u should not smoke or wash ur bum bum after u use toilet

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by nwamehn: 7:19pm On May 06, 2018
kapelvej:
1 Corinthians 7.38

I think u wanted to quote vs 39 not 38. The verse clearly says that the "wife" is bound to the husband so long as he lives. Question is, is a woman whom I have divorced because she cheated on me still my wife? No. If I marry a woman and I catch her having sex with another man and I divorce her and then marry another according to Christ's word in Matthew 19, will the divorced woman still be called my "wife"? No. She is just like an ordinary woman anywhere and if I have sex with her then after the divorce, it's adultery.
So the command Paul gave in 1 Cor 7 vs 39 cannot hold her as Paul made it clear that the command is only for a "wife" to a husband and not an "ordinary woman" anywhere.
Jesus gave us only one condition which we ar allowed to divorce and remarry in Matthew 19 vs 9, which is "adultery".
Paul himself also gave us another condition that we ar allowed to divorce and remarry in that same 1 Cor 7 vs 15, which is "if the unbelieving spouse departs, then the other partner is free to remarry".
1 Cor 7 vs 39 that u ar referring to doesn't in anyway say that I am not free to divorce my wife and marry another if I catch her cheating, it only implies that so long as we choose to remain husband and wife and not divorce, whether we quarrel or separate or fight, we ar bound to each other till death.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by Austin234(m): 8:54pm On May 06, 2018
God bless ur memory. U are a practical christian and could be a good counselor too

kristonium:
You can separate once there is abusive and it's life threatening
The problem is we want the Bible to even tell us when to pupu!

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by Austin234(m): 9:42pm On May 06, 2018
Let me also add, God hate divorce. Even when a spouse is established to have committed adultery, it is still a forgiveable sin. U may choose to forgive and remain in the marriage save when either of the guilty spouse is unrepentant and unamenable, divorce becomes next option. If not, try as much as u can to save ur marriage no matter what

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by kapelvej: 12:38am On May 07, 2018
nwamehn:

I think u wanted to quote vs 39 not 38. The verse clearly says that the "wife" is bound to the husband so long as he lives. Question is, is a woman whom I have divorced because she cheated on me still my wife? No. If I marry a woman and I catch her having sex with another man and I divorce her and then marry another according to Christ's word in Matthew 19, will the divorced woman still be called my "wife"? No. She is just like an ordinary woman anywhere and if I have sex with her then after the divorce, it's adultery.
So the command Paul gave in 1 Cor 7 vs 39 cannot hold her as Paul made it clear that the command is only for a "wife" to a husband and not an "ordinary woman" anywhere.
Jesus gave us only one condition which we ar allowed to divorce and remarry in Matthew 19 vs 9, which is "adultery".
Paul himself also gave us another condition that we ar allowed to divorce and remarry in that same 1 Cor 7 vs 15, which is "if the unbelieving spouse departs, then the other partner is free to remarry".
1 Cor 7 vs 39 that u ar referring to doesn't in anyway say that I am not free to divorce my wife and marry another if I catch her cheating, it only implies that so long as we choose to remain husband and wife and not divorce, whether we quarrel or separate or fight, we ar bound to each other till death.
My brother thanks for the explanation, I have read the chapters over again, they were clear enough. I hope my post did not misled any body. Thanks for your gentle spirit
Re: What Does The Bible Say About An Unhappy Marriage? by folaski: 7:59am On May 07, 2018
Tosinex:
If one can divorce on the basis of Adultery,
One should be able to let go on the basis of Attempted murder.
Marriage is meant to be enjoyed.

In any of the cases above they may separate but neither of them can remarry! That is why forgiveness is recommended for any offence.

The bottom line is to involve God and rely on in when making our choices in the first place. we cannot mess up in that area and expect God to lower His standard to clear or cover our mess.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Happy Birthday Peace Ibiyeomie / White House Asked Georgetown To Cover Cross For Obama Speech / Livinus Onuagha: Methodist Bishop And Priests Visit Onitsha Market Fire Scene

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.