Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,909 members, 7,938,724 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 11:42 AM

Personal Savings Culture Amongst Youth - Inputs Required - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Personal Savings Culture Amongst Youth - Inputs Required (6687 Views)

Poll: What Percentage of your income do you save monthly?

5-10%: 20% (5 votes)
10-20%: 12% (3 votes)
20-30%: 8% (2 votes)
30-40%: 8% (2 votes)
Above 40%: 52% (13 votes)
This poll has ended

Come To The Rescue<<msc Project>>ur Inputs Needed.(list Of Markets In Nigeria) / Workers To Access 25% Pension Savings For Mortgage …to Forfeit Lump Sum Payment / Workers Can Now Withdraw From Retirement Savings Account (PFA) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Personal Savings Culture Amongst Youth - Inputs Required by leighcon(m): 8:04am On Jun 02, 2010
@AjanleKoko,
I think that's a good one there
Re: Personal Savings Culture Amongst Youth - Inputs Required by Superbrain(m): 8:30am On Jun 02, 2010
@ Ajanlekoko,
I love your approach. That way, to get to have a constant flow of income, whilst also acquiring assets. Am I right? But, could you mention a few projects one could invest his cash into while on a job? (exclusive of financial markets).
Re: Personal Savings Culture Amongst Youth - Inputs Required by AjanleKoko: 2:36pm On Jun 02, 2010
^^
Depends on what is currently popular.
I have done stocks (and bled!), mutual funds, bonds, etc. Also have been doing property for a while.
Unless you work in investment banking or something of that nature, don't become a full-time speculator. It's not your job, so you won't be able to follow through. Find someone to do it, and make sure that you monitor the person more than the investment. I found it particularly tedious monitoring stocks when the boom was on, so eventually I used a trusted broker and paid him commission.

For career people (employees like me), start from acquisition of assets, then when you are spread in a reasonably stable manner over time, you can start investing in actual businesses. Which is what I am slowly starting to do now. People over time used to come to me to fund all manner of imaginative businesses, but I generally ignored them. At least an institution will insure your investment. An individual will not.

You have to have a portfolio of sorts, to start with. Invest a bit in stocks, a bit in bonds (bonds are big right now), mutual funds, take out insurance policies (they have some interesting products these days), do co-ops and 'ajo' in the office with trusted folks, etc.

Make sure you approach all these things with a short, medium and long term view, depending on which particular type of investment it is.
Generally stocks have a short term cycle, funds and bonds have a medium term value, then insurance and property have long term value. At least, that has been my approach.

Don't take a greedy man's view, and try to 'hammer' in some ponzi scheme. Most of the time you will lose money. I have never been involved in NOSPETCO, SEFTEQ, or one of those pyramid schemes, ever. I consider them to be an easy way to lose money.

For the last decade or so, I've always had a rolling facility from any of my banks, which I always sink into something. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't work so well. But I always acquire something. I also do ajos and co-ops, primarily to raise cash for investment and other CAPEX expenditures. My objective is never to have enough disposable cash with me. I'd rather tie it up in one thing or the other.

Interestingly, I've never bought a car via finance, primarily because I don't want to be stuck with paying off on a car, after I'm already fed up with the car and looking to change. I guess I'm lucky to be in Naija. If na Jand, I no fit yarn that one. grin

The key thing, though, is to have information. When you have info, there will always be something to do with money. As I'm typing now sef, I am looking at a property opportunity, and thinking of how I can raise the cash. When there is a will, there is always a way . . .
Re: Personal Savings Culture Amongst Youth - Inputs Required by Superbrain(m): 5:43pm On Jun 02, 2010
Thanks for your enlightening response.
Re: Personal Savings Culture Amongst Youth - Inputs Required by Esauette: 11:28am On Aug 19, 2011
I believe the way money is spend, can also be control by individual.
Even if are salary is increase our way of spending will also
increase.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Urban And Regional Planning In Nigeria / Help, What Should I Go For? Talent Or Survival. / 4 Tough Calls To Make On Career Growth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.