Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,423 members, 7,881,550 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:32 PM

Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large (5451 Views)

Lady Teaches Her American Husband How To Eat Pounded Yam & Egusi Soup (Pics/Vid) / What Even Is This Mess - Caucasian Man Rejects His Nigerian Wife’s Pounded Yam / How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by meobizy(f): 10:39pm On May 08, 2018
Hello all.
I recently purchased a small mortar out of curiosity. From watching multiple adverts especially the BBN Samvita commercial I have come to realize some people actually pound yam using small mortars.
All my life I have only known pounding of yam using large mortars. I'm wondering if using a small one will present a challenge of any sort.
The reason I ask this is because there is a point where the mashed yams get doused with fresh hot water [cold water in some cases] for a proper smoothening. Even with a large mortar where I stand a few inches away the water still splashes on my body. I'm wondering how I'll avoid such when sitting extremely close to the mortar in the case of using a small one.
Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by meobizy(f): 12:18am On May 09, 2018
So I should ask questions about mortars on Quora?
Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by Rubyventures: 10:33am On May 09, 2018
Motars causes lots of noise, all your neighbours will know you are eating pounded yam, see a better option below especially if you live in a flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKxHM3zcbLE
Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by meobizy(f): 4:20pm On May 09, 2018
Rubyventures:
Motars causes lots of noise, all your neighbours will know you are eating pounded yam, see a better option below especially if you live in a flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKxHM3zcbLE
Fortunately I don't live in a flat. I lived in one once and my next door neighbours loved pounding yam near-daily. We learned to live with the sound. If me and five other families found no problem with it then I don't see why other people can't.

That aside I prefer manually pounded yam to any other form. I've learned I can taste the difference -- it's in the smoothness. Add to the fact I love the exercise involved so we're back to my first argument: is there any technique I need to learn to avoid scalding myself while pounding?

2 Likes

Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by Rubyventures: 4:24pm On May 09, 2018
meobizy:

Fortunately I don't live in a flat. I lived in one once and my next door neighbours loved pounding yam near-daily. We learned to live with the sound. If me and five other families found no problem with it then I don't see why other people can't.

That aside I prefer manually pounded yam to any other form. I've learned I can taste the difference -- it's in the smoothness. Add to the fact I love the exercise involved so we're back to my first argument: is there any technique I need to learn to avoid scalding myself while pounding?

Okay oh I hear. shocked

You can learn the dodging technique. or duck and dive . Good luck grin

2 Likes

Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by meobizy(f): 4:30pm On May 09, 2018
Rubyventures:
[/b]

Okay oh I hear. shocked
You can learn the dodging technique. or duck and dive . Good luck grin
Lol. Thanks. I guess I'll dive into the experience head-first.
Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by meobizy(f): 6:21am On Mar 26, 2019
A full year later I decided to stick to full sized mortars.
I use the small mortar but only for vegetables.
I never tried using it for yam and I doubt it will ever come to mind.
I'm surprised with the alleged amount of users this forum possesses I got only one half-hearted response.

1 Like

Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by asalimpo(m): 4:53am On Mar 28, 2019
meobizy:
A full year later I decided to stick to full sized mortars.
I use the small mortar but only for vegetables.
I never tried using it for yam and I doubt it will ever come to mind.
I'm surprised with the alleged amount of users this forum possesses I got only one half-hearted response.
you can use a small mortar. What you do is bring the pestle down with measured force to prevent the yam crumbs spilling outta d mortar. This is d challenge. You hit the yam rapidly and try to move the mass towards the center of the pounding while preventing spillovers. It takes skill though. I saw some1 do it,then i knew it was possible. The benefits are,its easier since the mortar is more maneuverable than bigger mortars and the pestle is lighter than d long ones used for heavy pounding.

1 Like

Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by meobizy(f): 4:00pm On Aug 02, 2019
asalimpo:

you can use a small mortar. What you do is bring the pestle down with measured force to prevent the yam crumbs spilling outta d mortar. This is d challenge. You hit the yam rapidly and try to move the mass towards the center of the pounding while preventing spillovers. It takes skill though. I saw some1 do it,then i knew it was possible. The benefits are,its easier since the mortar is more maneuverable than bigger mortars and the pestle is lighter than d long ones used for heavy pounding.
Thank you very much. I guess I have the spam bot to thank for hiding such a useful response.
Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by OiOi: 3:54pm On Aug 04, 2019
Rubyventures:
so what's the bigge if my neighbors know am pounding yam.
It's even better f you live in a flat
Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by Rubyventures: 10:15am On Aug 05, 2019
OiOi:
so what's the bigge if my neighbors know am pounding yam.
It's even better f you live in a flat

The biggie is that noise pollution officers will be knocking on your door.
Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by meobizy(f): 10:30pm On Nov 03, 2021
As much as I felt the urge to delete this thread, I have returned with good news. Personally I haven't considered to use a small mortar for pounding, however a young relative did so last week. Using a small mortar is not as intimidating as a large one. It's no wonder many housewives opt for such especially since modern Nigerians birth two to three children. This twelve year old cousin of mine made short work of three slices of yam while I delivered instructions based on experience. I tried my hand at the act and found it strenuous on the shoulder as opposed to a full body workout when employing the alternative. I can imagine one searching for a mini mortar and pestle outside the country as sound generated from the act is minimal. Energy expenditure is also minute since one has the opportunity to take longer rests to continue when energised. The stress on a single limb, though, would make me think otherwise. Don't forget to encourage double arm strength and symmetry from the use of other forms of exercise.
Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by Pumpumking: 2:55pm On Dec 15, 2021
meobizy:
Hello all.
I recently purchased a small mortar out of curiosity. From watching multiple adverts especially the BBN Samvita commercial I have come to realize some people actually pound yam using small mortars.
All my life I have only known pounding of yam using large mortars. I'm wondering if using a small one will present a challenge of any sort.
The reason I ask this is because there is a point where the mashed yams get doused with fresh hot water [cold water in some cases] for a proper smoothening. Even with a large mortar where I stand a few inches away the water still splashes on my body. I'm wondering how I'll avoid such when sitting extremely close to the mortar in the case of using a small one.

Ok so u eat fufu after fooolin the world u eat in restorant..correct. u act like a skintofrenia(no oofenese) angry
Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by meobizy(f): 10:20pm On Jan 09, 2022
Pumpumking:

Ok so u eat fufu after fooolin the world u eat in restorant..correct. u act like a skintofrenia(no oofenese) angry
Who send you? (offclick taken).
Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by meobizy(f): 10:27pm On Jan 09, 2022
I tried my hand with a "yam pounding machine" today. Good Lord, I'm full of praises for it. Though I enjoy the exercise involved when manually pounding, curiosity got the better of me. It came out smooth, so smooth that I ate a lot more than I normally do. If I continue with this machine I'll turn portly like a Samoan. The problem now is how to wash the machine with its many sharp blades. It doesn't look like a device which'll last more than a few months. However, like with blenders, I have no problem with purchasing a new device yearly. I'll pound from time to time to retain the skill.

2 Likes

Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by Hamzashaf99(f): 10:07pm On Jan 11, 2022
I think I would have both.
The strain on the shoulder with the small one is not something I look forward to. But there are times one can be lazy and that's a cool alternative.

Large mortar would be my first choice. Big family of three, plus I love the way we do things traditionally and sometimes do it willingly. The mental satisfaction is the reward.

1 Like

Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by ABG2222: 4:10pm On Jan 15, 2022
Dear yam pounders ,does being underweight affects yam pounding? I get tired after 5 hits into the mortar and the big pestle weighs heavily

I feel bad disappointing my trainer. Will a small mortar assist me in learning
Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by meobizy(f): 5:46pm On Jan 15, 2022
ABG2222:
Dear yam pounders ,does being underweight affects yam pounding? I get tired after 5 hits into the mortar and the big pestle weighs heavily

I feel bad disappointing my trainer. Will a small mortar assist me in learning
Hmm. Throwaway account. It doesn’t make your question any less legitimate.

From what I’ve noticed there are three ways to pound yam; from the shoulders (strength), from the waist (technique) or a mixture of both. People start from the shoulders because of youth, but as years pass they default to using their waists due to acquiring experience. My cousin uses his waist because he learned from my grandmother. I’ll suggest you learn how to pound from an older woman.

A small mortar uses less muscles than a large one. Your shoulders and arms are engaged more with smaller ones as opposed to your whole body with larger ones. The only aspect similar with both is knowing when the yam is done and ready to eat. Other than that both experiences are night and day when compared. Honestly I’ll tell you to get a small mortar or yam pounding machine. The machine smooths any type of yam especially those which give a tough time when pounding manually.

Ten push-ups a day is not a bad idea. In under two weeks you’ll add four kilograms of muscle and build endurance to fire twenty at a go. Do not underestimate the strength gain the activity will give, it will translate when pounding yam. However I’ve never seen a situation where someone was underweight to pound yam. My sisters started at age thirteen while I learned at twenty-one. There is no way you’re weaker than a thirteen year old girl, though the thought is laughable.
Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by ABG2222: 5:10pm On Jan 16, 2022
Thanks meobizy I will try this out
Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by meobizy(f): 12:44pm On Feb 19, 2022
Yam “pounder” review.

The machine makes perfect iyan. The problem is perfect gets boring after eight meals. Using a machine means the end result is the same every time with no matter type of yam used.

The machine overheats and right now one speed-selection is burnt. The device is still under warranty so we’ll get free repairs. After one year it means we’ll have to start paying. This is inevitable because yam is a heavy duty load on the machine which I believe was originally created for blending fruits and vegetables into juices. Many times it overheats halfway into a pound session (because my mother strongly believes in adding water when pounding even when unnecessary) so we sit and wait for fifteen to twenty minutes for the engine to cool down then continue. This is a huge inconvenience one wouldn’t face if pounding the traditional way.
Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by favelli(m): 3:59pm On Feb 21, 2022
meobizy:
Yam “pounder” review.

The machine makes perfect iyan. The problem is perfect gets boring after eight meals. Using a machine means the end result is the same every time with no matter type of yam used.

The machine overheats and right now one speed-selection is burnt. The device is still under warranty so we’ll get free repairs. After one year it means we’ll have to start paying. This is inevitable because yam is a heavy duty load on the machine which I believe was originally created for blending fruits and vegetables into juices. Many times it overheats halfway into a pound session (because my mother strongly believes in adding water when pounding even when unnecessary) so we sit and wait for fifteen to twenty minutes for the engine to cool down then continue. This is a huge inconvenience one wouldn’t face if pounding the traditional way.

Please what's the name of the machine you use in pounding your yam. A picture of the device would be amazing. Thanks
Re: Pounded Yam - Small Mortar Vs Large by meobizy(f): 5:23pm On Feb 21, 2022
favelli:

Please what's the name of the machine you use in pounding your yam. A picture of the device would be amazing. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGcnn69qB_s

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before / How Do I Make A Drink From Ginger? / Ogbono Soup : Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.