Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,958 members, 7,949,274 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 02:36 AM

American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! - Foreign Affairs (3527) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! (1876944 Views)

American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections -- Trump's Presidency! - NOV. 5!! / American Politics For Republicans And Lovers Of Truth And Reason / President Bolsonaro Imported The Devilish American Politics To Brazil(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3524) (3525) (3526) (3527) (3528) (3529) (3530) ... (4415) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by IjeBos(m): 2:37pm On Nov 19, 2022
I think I've come around to the Special Prosecutor. A distinct upside is that having a Special Prosecutor limits what information the DOJ would have to give to the House or Senate about the investigation. That is probably worth it alone given who is in the House with subpoena power.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by benalvino3: 3:15pm On Nov 19, 2022
IjeBos:

I don't live in Nigeria and spend just weeks there when I do visit. So, I come here for news and insight. I don't argue or forcefully engage on Nigerian politics/culture etc. Because I know I don't have the base of understanding or information to even argue rationally. So, I listen, learn and try to get informed. Same should be true vis-a-vis those in this topic. I never argued against discussing the US or having opinions on it. My comment was more to two posters on this board who want to dominate this thread with mis-truths, alternate facts and propaganda, all while leaving the impression that they have a greater base of understanding of the US all the while never having set foot in the US or really studied it. So instead of learning and discussing based on a common set of facts, we are here arguing basic US facts of History, Law and Government. If you enjoy that, carry on.

Your premise is wrong. Even if you don't live in Nigeria, you can know a lot about Nigeria and Nigerian politics. I live in Nigeria, sometimes I travel out and mainly the UK but I don't know much about Nigeria politics because my interest is not there.

I assume you live somewhere outside Texas... Can a Texas man ask you to shut up about the massacre that happened there because you don't live there? What if he tells you it never happened because he lives there... Would you be accepting his opinion and throaway all you saw in social media and the media?

How do you even reason? I still haven't seen you telling people who agree with your leftist delusion that they don't live in the US.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by Ibeme: 3:56pm On Nov 19, 2022
benalvino3:

They are not a bank which we all know how they operate.

the Keyword here is consent.

It is a financial institution and is allowed to trade with deposits, it just needs to keep sufficient liquid capital on hand for withdrawals

Undercapitalisation is not a crime, and they could argue they were sufficiently capitalised albeit with illiquid FTT tokens which eroded their balance sheet as it's price fell. Moreso they are not a bank and not covered by capitalisation tresholds, and operate from Bahamas jurisdiction which has different sets of laws

Like I said, everything you mentioned is negligent but not enough to put this guy away for any reasonable time. What investigators will be hoping to find is:

A. Did he misrepresent asset values at any point to hide losses

B. Did he transfer assets to himself or cronies when FTX was going down

This is what they need to get true justice for creditors and depositors, not whether his girlfriend is CEO of this or that, whether he has a board, or whether he capitalised his company with his own token - there is no codified law to penalise him for valuing his Net Assets using the market price of FTT which could easily fall, just like Access Bank can value themselves in Naira which could easily fall.

Lehmann bros was undercapitalised to pay off their liabilities in 2008 and they collapsed. No single person from Lehmann bros went to Jail. Incompetence is not a jailable crime. A or B I highlighted above are crimes.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by benalvino3: 4:11pm On Nov 19, 2022
Ibeme:

It is a financial institution and is allowed to trade with deposits, it just needs to keep sufficient liquid capital on hand for withdrawals

Undercapitalisation is not a crime, and they could argue they were sufficiently capitalised albeit with illiquid FTT tokens which eroded their balance sheet as it's price fell. Moreso they are not a bank and not covered by capitalisation tresholds, and operate from Bahamas jurisdiction which has different sets of laws

Like I said, everything you mentioned is negligent but not enough to put this guy away for any reasonable time. What investigators will be hoping to find is:

A. Did he misrepresent asset values at any point to cover losses

B. Did he transfer assets to himself or cronies when FTX was going down

This is what they need to get true justice for creditors and depositors, not whether his girlfriend is CEO of this or that, whether he has a board, or whether he capitalised his company with his own token - there is no codified law to penalise him for valuing his Net Assets using the market price of FTT which could easily fall, just like Access Bank can value themselves in Naira which could easily fall.

Lehmann bros was undercapitalised to pay off their liabilities in 2008 and they collapsed. No single person from Lehmann bros went to Jail. Incompetence is not a jailable crime. A or B I highlighted above are crimes.

You keep missing the point. They did it without consent.

mixing customer funds with counterparties and trading them without explicit consent, according to U.S. securities law, is illegal. It also violates FTX's terms of service.

They stole people's money and traded with it.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by basilico: 4:21pm On Nov 19, 2022
benalvino3:

mixing customer funds with counterparties and trading them without explicit consent, according to U.S. securities law, is illegal. It also violates FTX's terms of service.

Ibime does not miss the point, The guy donated to Democrats massively therefore can do no wrong according to Ibime.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by benalvino3: 4:31pm On Nov 19, 2022
basilico:

Ibime does not miss the point, The guy donated to Democrats massively therefore can do no wrong according to Ibime.

They are under surveillance from the same people they gave money to who turned the other way

1 Like

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 4:36pm On Nov 19, 2022
It's not just Thomas but Alito as well.

shocked
Maybe it was Alito that leaked the Dobbs decision.
I would not be surprised.

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by Ibeme: 4:40pm On Nov 19, 2022
benalvino3:

There is no requirement to keep 100% of customers funds in liquid form on hand anywhere in any statute books. If this was the case, several of the exchanges who have paused withdrawals this week (Gemeni, Genesis etc) will not need to pause it, and banks won't pause withdrawals if there is a run on the bank

There are capitalisation requirements that are usually percentage based, and Crypto companies quickly fall foul of this when crypto prices move.
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by Ibeme: 4:46pm On Nov 19, 2022
basilico:

We don't operate on the same frequency in our understanding of the world, so I can't bring myself to how you think. Investigators will surely do their job on the matter, not bozos like you with zero understanding that scream conspiracy childishly.

The fall of FTX led to Republicans losing their third biggest sponsor Ryan Salame of FTX. If I was as stupid as you, I would quickly be whipped up into a frenzy that Salame is being protected. . . the difference is, I have financial education

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by IjeBos(m): 4:51pm On Nov 19, 2022
benalvino3:

Your premise is wrong. Even if you don't live in Nigeria, you can know a lot about Nigeria and Nigerian politics. I live in Nigeria, sometimes I travel out and mainly the UK but I don't know much about Nigeria politics because my interest is not there.

I assume you live somewhere outside Texas... Can a Texas man ask you to shut up about the massacre that happened there because you don't live there? What if he tells you it never happened because he lives there... Would you be accepting his opinion and throaway all you saw in social media and the media?

How do you even reason? I still haven't seen you telling people who agree with your leftist delusion that they don't live in the US.

Riddle me this, if you haven't lived in Nigeria, haven't studied in Nigeria, and aren't' involved in the Nigerian political system, how detailed could you really be about Nigeria politics? Outside of reading about it, how could you even understand first hand the culture or the machinations on the ground? Where is this expertise springing from? Or do you believe you can learn and experience someone's culture by reading about it?

I would not and do not opine on most Nigerian Political issues; I listen and learn. That's ok. Not everyone can be an expert or have a deep understating on everything. And I can't spend the requisite time necessary to do so. And so, I generally assume people won't speak unless they have a deep understanding of a topic of which they are speaking about or qualify their statements as such. But this new MAGA/Repuhblican culture diminishes education, study and expertise and so everyone becomes an expert on everything.

A Texas man cannot ask me to shut up about their massacre because the massacre is a GENERAL US issue regarding readily available Assault weapons and the resulting preparation and readiness of Police Officers who have to walk into the uncertainty of death when faced with people who have greater fire power than them, the greater repercussions to society and the policies surrounding it. These policies were talked about decades ago after Columbine. Police are supposed to enter IMMEDIATELY, putting their lives at risk and STOP the shooter. That was what was so egregious about what happened. Especially when children called 911 saying they had dead classmates in the classrooms and the police still waited 30 minutes. In fact, Biden campaigned on it in the midterms and it has been a NATIONAL issue for years. But, isn't this the point I'm making. I'm not sure how much you understood about the Texas Massacre, but if you truly followed the issue you wouldn't even have attempted to make that point you tried.

But, I'll continue to do me, growing my knowledge base from knowledgeable people. You continue to get your information or most likely your mis-information from whomever you see fit.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by IjeBos(m): 5:00pm On Nov 19, 2022
Ladyhippolyta88:

shocked

Thought this from the get. Didn't make sense for a Liberal justice or clerk to leak it. They would have wanted it released as close to the election as possible to keep it in the forefront of people's minds.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by basilico: 5:40pm On Nov 19, 2022
Ibeme:

We don't operate on the same frequency in our understanding of the world, so I can't bring myself to how you think. Investigators will surely do their job on the matter, not bozos like you with zero understanding that scream conspiracy childishly.

The fall of FTX led to Republicans losing their third biggest sponsor Ryan Salame of FTX. If I was as stupid as you, I would quickly be whipped up into a frenzy that Salame is being protected. . . the difference is, I have financial education
Greenhorn.
After George Soros 128m donations to the rats, the FTX. boss was the next highest contributor to Democrats with about 40m. Most likely money sent to Zelensky then funneled back
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by Ibime(m): 5:51pm On Nov 19, 2022
basilico:

Greenhorn.
After George Soros 128m donations to the rats, the FTX. boss was the next highest contributor to Democrats with about 40m. Most likely money sent to Zelensky then funneled back

Which country was Salame $24m donation to Republicans sent to? Hungary or Russia?

2 Likes

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by benalvino3: 5:53pm On Nov 19, 2022
Ibeme:

There is no requirement to keep 100% of customers funds in liquid form on hand anywhere in any statute books. If this was the case, several of the exchanges who have paused withdrawals this week (Gemeni, Genesis etc) will not need to pause it, and banks won't pause withdrawals if there is a run on the bank

There are capitalisation requirements that are usually percentage based, and Crypto companies quickly fall foul of this when crypto prices move.

what are you even talking?

the exchange’s terms of service state that none of the crypto in customer accounts are “the property of, or shall or may be loaned to, FTX Trading,” and that the platform “does not represent or treat Digital Assets in User’s Accounts as belonging to FTX Trading.” In other words, FTX cannot use the funds for purposes other than just holding them on customers’ behalf.

The Crypto market can be volatile and these Crypto exchange companies Hold your assets for a fee when you withdraw you pay a fee when you trade you pay a fee. people do not keep their money there so FTX can gamble with it.

when Crypto crashes, the value of your assets drops... this way, the Crypto exchange company can always pay their customers.

Ibime, there is no other way to put it... this is theft.

Also, they pause not because they cannot pay, they pause so that they can keep your cash while the Value continues to plummet in the guise of preventing the value of the assets to drop.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by basilico: 6:01pm On Nov 19, 2022
Ibime:

Which country was Salame $24m donation to Republicans sent to? Hungary or Russia?

40 minus 26 is cash you will never count in your lifetime.

Why are you interested in Republicans recipients and ignoring the democrats.We call out RINOs here every time
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 6:10pm On Nov 19, 2022
IjeBos:

Thought this from the get. Didn't make sense for a Liberal justice or clerk to leak it. They would have wanted it released as close to the election as possible to keep it in the forefront of people's minds.
Two majority opinions Alito wrote were leaked.
Now we know who leaked the Dobbs decision grin

1 Like

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by Ibime(m): 6:11pm On Nov 19, 2022
benalvino3:

what are you even talking?

the exchange’s terms of service state that none of the crypto in customer accounts are “the property of, or shall or may be loaned to, FTX Trading,” and that the platform “does not represent or treat Digital Assets in User’s Accounts as belonging to FTX Trading.” In other words, FTX cannot use the funds for purposes other than just holding them on customers’ behalf.

The Crypto market can be volatile and these Crypto exchange companies Hold your assets for a fee when you withdraw you pay a fee when you trade you pay a fee. people do not keep their money there so FTX can gamble with it.

when Crypto crashes, the value of your assets drops... this way, the Crypto exchange company can always pay their customers.

Ibime, there is other way to put it... this is theft.

Also, they pause not because they cannot pay, they pause so that they can keep your cash while the Value continues to plummet in the guise of preventing the value of the assets to drop.

There is difference between Fiat and Crypto, and there is no legal requirement from Govt for them to hold 100% of either.

They may advertise this for depositor confidence, but they are not required to - as the saying goes - not your keys, not your crypto.
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by Ibime(m): 6:13pm On Nov 19, 2022
basilico:

40 minus 26 is cash you will never count in your lifetime.

Why are you interested in Republicans recipients and ignoring the democrats.We call out RINOs here every time

I'm not interested in both. I am confident the investigators will do their work. I only brought the Republican donation to help you cure the conspiracy illness planted in your head if you have any logical braincells left.

2 Likes

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by saxywale2: 6:13pm On Nov 19, 2022
Ibime:

Lol.
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by saxywale2: 6:14pm On Nov 19, 2022
Ladyhippolyta88:

shocked
What a mess..

2 Likes

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by basilico: 6:15pm On Nov 19, 2022
Ibime:

I'm not interested in both. I am confident the investigators will do their work. I only brought the Republican donation to help you cure the conspiracy illness planted in your head if you have any logical braincells left.

Ben is hammering you. smiley smiley smiley
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by Ibime(m): 6:17pm On Nov 19, 2022
basilico:

Ben is hammering you. smiley smiley smiley

I am a willing nail for any information he has that I was not privy to. At least he's making sense unlike you
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by adamusuleiman11: 6:19pm On Nov 19, 2022
The Geraldo I know.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by basilico: 6:24pm On Nov 19, 2022
Ibime:

I am a willing nail for any information he has that I was not privy to. At least he's making sense unlike you

Smart ass huh. Think being in the UK makes you smart. I have never understood the likes of the diaspora like you.
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by adamusuleiman11: 6:31pm On Nov 19, 2022
Bill Barr (Trump's Attorney General):

"I personally think that they probably have the basis for legitimately indicting [Trump]"
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by zendi: 6:57pm On Nov 19, 2022
zendi:
In Anambra, Brazil or Italy, vote counting is concluded in two days.
In a Woketopia, vote counting continues until the woke wins.

Not them that cast the votes that count, but them that count the votes that are cast.

There were two candidates for the gubernatorial election.
One of them was the Secretary of State, therefore the Chief Election Officer, therefore the Chief Counter of the votes and the Chief Certifier of the result.
Even draconian Joseph Stalin quoted on top would be green with envy.
In Anambra or Italy, the Secretary of State would have had to recuse from election matters or be disqualified from candidacy.
This was not Anambra or Italy.
There is a reason I call some places Woketopia, which is a primitive political dystopia gone woke on top.
So, true to her Stalinist credentials, and long after other States had wrapped up their elections, this fox deployed to guard the hen-house simply continued harvesting and counting votes until she won.
Please give my AA+ in buffoonery to the leadership of the opponent's Party.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by adamusuleiman11: 7:13pm On Nov 19, 2022
American TV network CBS News announces it’s suspending all Twitter activity out of "abundance of caution."
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by basilico: 7:16pm On Nov 19, 2022
Kattie Hobbs

zendi:

Not them that cast the votes that count, but them that count the votes that are cast.

There were two candidates for the gubernatorial election.
One of them was the Secretary of State, therefore the Chief Election Officer, therefore the Chief Counter of the votes and the Chief Certifier of the result.
Even draconian Joseph Stalin quoted on top would be green with envy.
In Anambra or Italy, the Secretary of State would have had to recuse from election matters or be disqualified from candidacy.
This was not Anambra or Italy.
There is a reason I call some places Woketopia, which is a primitive political dystopia gone woke on top.
So, true to her Stalinist credentials, and long after other States had wrapped up their elections, this fox deployed to guard the hen-house simply continued harvesting and counting votes until she won.
Please give my AA+ in buffoonery to the leadership of the opponent's Party.
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by benalvino3: 7:25pm On Nov 19, 2022
Ibime:

There is difference between Fiat and Crypto, and there is no legal requirement from Govt for them to hold 100% of either.

They may advertise this for depositor confidence, but they are not required to - as the saying goes - not your keys, not your crypto.

Which is fraudulent and misleading behavior. it is illegal.

There are TOS or policies which are legal agreements between two parties.

Users are specifically told what the company can do and what the customers cannot do. the customer has to agree to this term to use the service. so it is already legally binding that FTX cannot use their customer's deposits.

why are you not seeing this?

there is Crime of misappropriation of funds.

if a company is entrusted with other parties' money, property, or assets but uses those assets for their own benefits, that means kasala fit burst for misappropriation.

Misappropriation of funds means the intentional, illegal use of the funds of another person for one's own use or other unauthorized purpose. It can be by a public official, a trustee of a trust, an executor or administrator of a dead person's estate or by any person with a responsibility to care for and protect another's assets. It is a punishable offense.

For example, in Connecticut, an attorney who knowingly misappropriates a client's funds or other property held in trust will be disbarred. [Conn. Practice Book § 2-47A]. A claim for misappropriation of funds is subject to statute of limitations. When a claim is brought against the alleged thief of the goods, the statute runs from the time of the theft even if the property owner was unaware of the theft at the time that it occurred. [Ruso v. Morrison, 695 F. Supp. 2d 33 (D.N.Y. 2010)]

The following are examples of case law on misappropriation of funds:

Misappropriation of funds is a serious offense involving moral turpitude. [Morales v. State Bar, 44 Cal. 3d 1037 (Cal. 1988)]

Misappropriation of funds by an attorney is an act infected with deceit and dishonesty and ordinarily will result in disbarment in the absence of compelling extenuating circumstances justifying a lesser sanction.[Atty. Griev. Comm'n v. Weiss, 389 Md. 531 (Md. 2005)]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO4uRsyiO7Y

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by adamusuleiman11: 7:38pm On Nov 19, 2022
Ladyhippolyta88:

Two majority opinions Alito wrote were leaked.
Now we know who leaked the Dobbs decision grin
Alito said the Dobbs leak was a "grave betrayal "
Perhaps, he wasn't expecting an evangelical whistle blower to threw him under the bus"

Ted Cruz blamed it on some angry left wing law clerk and said such a breach of trust had never happened in Supreme court history.

Senator Blackburn also said:

2 Likes

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by basilico: 7:42pm On Nov 19, 2022
adamusuleiman11:

Alito said the Dobbs leak was a "grave betrayal "
Perhaps, he wasn't expecting an evangelical whistle blower to threw him under the bus"

Ted Cruz blamed it on some angry left wing law clerk and said such a breach of trust had never happened in Supreme court history.

Senator Blackburn also said:

Im in the dark here. I am aware that Roe vs Wade was leaked.
Whats the insinuation?
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by saxywale2: 7:47pm On Nov 19, 2022
basilico:

Im in the dark here. I am aware that Roe vs Wade was leaked.
Whats the insinuation?
You are the chief conspiracy theorist on the thread. Adding 1 plus 2 together shouldn't be hard to you nah cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (3524) (3525) (3526) (3527) (3528) (3529) (3530) ... (4415) (Reply)

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.