Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,894 members, 7,906,337 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 09:21 AM

N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia (1210 Views)

N392bn Debt: FG To Focus On Priority Projects, Says Fashola / Fg’ll Complete Ongoing, Abandoned Projects, Says Fashola / We Gave (BRIBE) Lawmakers N17bn To Pass 2015 Budget - Okonjo-iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by KenOne: 7:27am On May 27, 2018
The Majority Leader of the House of Representatives, Mr. Femi Gbajabiamila, has said that he was not aware that lawmakers took a bribe, as a former Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, alleged in her book.

Okonjo-Iweala, in her book, Fighting Corruption is Dangerous: The Story Behind the Headlines, revealed the blackmail and arm-twisting that characterised budget passage by the National Assembly during the Goodluck Jonathan administration.

The Majority Leader of the House of Representatives, Mr. Femi Gbajabiamila, has said that he was not aware that lawmakers took a bribe, as a former Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, alleged in her book.

Okonjo-Iweala, in her book, Fighting Corruption is Dangerous: The Story Behind the Headlines, revealed the blackmail and arm-twisting that characterised budget passage by the National Assembly during the Goodluck Jonathan administration.

She cited an instance in 2015 when the National Assembly leadership forced the executive arm to part with N17bn for the federal lawmakers before passing that year’s budget.

That, she said, was at a time crude price had fallen drastically.

The N17bn alleged bribe, according to Okonjo-Iweala, was besides the National Assembly’s N150bn.

Gbajabiamila, who was the minority leader in the 7th Assembly admitted that lawmakers had a running battle with Okonjo-Iweala and her aides over the budget because they fused in their own projects to the detriment of some lawmakers.

He explained that aside from the minister’s projects, her aides, who wanted to contest seats in the National Assembly, also loaded the budget with their own projects.

The lawmaker recalled that this was a sour point in the relationship between the former minister and members.

Gbajabiamila added that the “unfair” arrangement, made lawmakers to demand that many projects be sited in their constituencies as well, being the elected representatives of the people.

“However, my hunch is that being an election year, members might have wanted several projects sited in their constituencies so that they could have something to campaign on.

“It is wrong to portray that members were given money for passage of the budget.”

Also, the spokesperson for the Senate in the 7th Assembly, Senator Eyinnaya Abaribe, said the alleged addition of N17bn could be an addition to the National Assembly budget, which should not be misconstrued as a bribe.

He said, “I don’t think the former finance minister meant that the money was a bribe. I think it is the media that are insinuating that she bribed the lawmakers.

“She said the Federal Government gave extra funding to the National Assembly. The media should look at the National Assembly budget for that year and see whether it was above N150bn before making insinuations.”

The Media Adviser to the former Minister of Finance, Mr. Paul Nwabuikwu, could not be reached for comments as calls to his mobiles indicated they were switched off, while a text message sent to him had yet to be responded to as of the time of filling this report.

In his reaction, another member of the House of Representatives, Abdulmumin Jibrin, said he was not aware of the alleged N17bn bribe.

He said, “As the chairman of House Committee on Finance during the period in question, I was never part of a meeting where such decision was made. I am not aware of any N17bn naira introduced in the 2014 budget for election expenses for members and I did not benefit from such money if at all it ever existed.

“It is absolutely unfair of the former minister of finance to make such grievous allegation in a blanket manner. She should have named those that participated at the said meeting and received the money.”

Punchng.com:
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by CodeTemplar: 7:34am On May 27, 2018
They are never aware. Just ask Buhari who is currently taking bribes? He isn't aware neither. Both PDP and APC
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by Paperwhite(m): 8:01am On May 27, 2018
Good! May Good hasten the confusion & infighting among the criminals Nigeria ever had as leaders so that they will continue to expose how they undermined this country while disgracing themselves.
-Buhari versus OBJ.
-Okonjo Iwela versus Gbajamila.
-IGP versus Saraki/Melaye.
-Dino Melaye versus Yahaya Bello.
-APC versus APC(parallel congresses) vs PDP. tongue
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by HtwoOw: 10:18am On May 27, 2018
That's the beauty of it , Nobody wants to go down alone

Exactly what played out when Dasuki started singing

Exactly what played out when Miss Cancer started chorusing

We need these people to get confused and indict one another
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by SeyeTiamiyu: 2:12pm On May 28, 2018
The truth is Okonjo Iweala is a brave woman and deserves to be commended for writing the book; fighting corruption is dangerous. It puts so many things into light.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by SeyeTiamiyu: 2:13pm On May 28, 2018
Either there was bribery or not; the point is Okonjo Iweala is really shedding light on important things that happened in the country and how reluctant some people are to work hard for the progress of our country.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by SeyeTiamiyu: 2:15pm On May 28, 2018
This is why it is important for one to read Okonjo Iweala’s book one self, if not, one would just be mislead by this wrong reports.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by loladetemi: 2:18pm On May 28, 2018
I see no point arguing with you guys, you all are just trying to make up story to tarnish CME's image. What kind of country is this, where those that strive hard to make the country a better place are being mis-judged and blackmailed anyhow.

1 Like

Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by SeyeTiamiyu: 2:18pm On May 28, 2018
Paperwhite:
Good! May Good hasten the confusion & infighting among the criminals Nigeria ever had as leaders so that they will continue to expose how they undermined this country while disgracing themselves.
-Buhari versus OBJ.

It's Gbajamila that is acting anyhow. Okonjo Iweala never said that people were paid bribes. Besides Okonjo Iweala is not even fighting with him.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by SeyeTiamiyu: 2:20pm On May 28, 2018
This is why it is important for one to read Okonjo Iweala’s book one self, if not, one would just be mislead by this wrong reports.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by SeyeTiamiyu: 2:20pm On May 28, 2018
Bribe comments everywhere, it was never stated that bribes where given to anyone. Read the book again!
I’m really suspicious of this Gbajabiamila man, perhaps there is something he needs to say. Because it is only someone that has something to hide, that is always quick to make comments such as his own, on a false report!
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by SeyeTiamiyu: 2:21pm On May 28, 2018
Okonjo Iweala’s book is not that expensive, it is less than $20, I think a lot of people; press, politician or lay man should be able to get one and read for themselves to stop all these misrepresentations of facts.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by SeyeTiamiyu: 2:22pm On May 28, 2018
Senator Abaribe sure knows what he is saying; it is the media that is insinuating that the money was a bribe which is so wrong.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by OreMI22: 2:24pm On May 28, 2018
Buhari and his bunch of jokers.

So Okonjo Iweala padded budget with projects and blinded the Senate from seeing the budget? Senate only saw the padded budgets under Buhari?

Buhari is a shameless failure. Telling silly childish lies portrays how desperate he is to continue looting Nigeria. Today, oil price is more than $70 per barrel. What has Buhari done with the doubled national earning? Has the economy improved as a result of earning double? Buhari is simply a THIEF!

1 Like

Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by loladetemi: 2:28pm On May 28, 2018
Noticed several writers are just so lazy to make research before going on to publish. They just jump into conclusion and end up publishing nonsense.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by goldviaggra: 2:34pm On May 28, 2018
Will he admit that they took bribe, is he not part of the rot.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by loladetemi: 2:36pm On May 28, 2018
I see no point arguing with you guys, you all are just trying to make up story to tarnish CME's image. What kind of country is this, where those that strive hard to make the country a better place are being mis-judged and blackmailed anyhow?
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by loladetemi: 2:37pm On May 28, 2018
What else can we expect from a country fill with despise, all they know is to fight for their own pocket and let the masses suffer. The goods ones are being blackmailed because they refuse to join their club and be part of their nonsense.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by NaijaPatron: 2:39pm On May 28, 2018
Even though Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has come to clarify that she never said the N17billion was a bribe, it is sad the way fake news and false reports spread by people who are supposed to be the custodians of verified information. What would it have cost you people to read the book and get the facts right? Instead of misleading an already misled populace
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by NaijaPatron: 2:40pm On May 28, 2018
“However, my hunch is that being an election year, members might have wanted several projects sited in their constituencies so that they could have something to campaign on.".....lol, Gbajabiamiala is basically admitting that what we all know about the NASS members - a bunch of self-validating thieving mongrels sucking our common wealth dry. They padded the budget for their interests only
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by NaijaPatron: 2:48pm On May 28, 2018
Let me give you an advice, when you read things, do yourself a favour and be responsible for your information consumption by doing your own research. I'm sure you never read the book but you're here swallowing hook and sinker the lies they just fed you. She never said she paid a bribe.
Paperwhite:
-Buhari versus OBJ.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by loladetemi: 2:55pm On May 28, 2018
Instead of misleading those that hasn't read the book, why not take your time to read the book again then you can now make your statement.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by Budwyde: 3:24pm On May 28, 2018
Why are these Senators trying to change what she actually wrote in her book? Is it a problem of comprehension or dyslexia like is being alluded in some quarters about Mr. Transmission?
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by Budwyde: 3:30pm On May 28, 2018
The former minister didn’t use the word bribe in the particular context Gbajabiamila is responding to. Let’s get things in the right perspective. Most of these guys wailing and throwing stones have not read this book.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by Budwyde: 3:32pm On May 28, 2018
I will advise us to read this book, especially young folks. It takes a lot of courage to author this kind of book and inform this generation and subsequent ones of the ills of our society, so that we can be prepared and battle ready to save our nation from saboteurs.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by Budwyde: 3:32pm On May 28, 2018
Which of her aides padded budget, which I believe that is what he is trying to say? This is just errant and unfounded allegations. I find it ridiculous. So how will a mere aide pad the budget, which you are yet to give any verifiable evidence to? How will that assist such a fellow in winning elections? English please.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by Budwyde: 3:40pm On May 28, 2018
One of the debates this excerpt from Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala book throws up again is the issue of politicians using public funds to seek re-election and fulfilling personal end. There is a clear difference between public servants and public funds. Public funds are owned by all, whether you are in government or not. And it appropriation must be done according to the law in an open and transparent manner. Not for self-seeking of whoever is in power. Let’s read this book and understand some of the truth of why we are where we are as a nation.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by Budwyde: 3:41pm On May 28, 2018
The media should look beyond their agenda sometimes and seek to report their stories objectively; not trying to colour our thoughts and opinions. Kudos to Senator Abaribe for that comment, we need more of such in our overly polarized polity.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by Budwyde: 3:42pm On May 28, 2018
Those who should represent us keep sending the message of “all man for himself” back to the street, and we seem to be accepting it as the norm, which is quite sad. During the last economic meltdown, the current Senate would not budge as to the reduction of their planned expenditure. They are never willing to sacrifice despite widespread poverty and under-development. How do we navigate this treacherous bend? Thank you madam NOI for telling it as it is.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by Budwyde: 3:45pm On May 28, 2018
Ma, if you can read this, I would need a copy of this book, personally signed by you. Would be something to remind me of you and keep me inspired. Something to prepare me for the future, if peradventure I find myself in a position of power and influence.
Re: N17bn Bribe: Okonjo-iweala, Aides Loaded Budget With Own Projects, Says Gbajabia by Budwyde: 3:46pm On May 28, 2018
Honourable Gbajabiamila, please go and re-read this book if you have done so already. Some of us still like and respect your person and what you stand for in the house. You don’t have to lose your reputation over this, and I hope the 9th Assembly will have more members with decent characters and honourable enough to put Nigeria first in whatever they do.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Card Reader: Fayose Confronts INEC, Police, DSS With Video Evidence / London Protests As Trump Visits Today / NHIS Boss Resumes At Work Said Only President Muhammadu Buhari Could Suspend Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.