Stats: 3,190,619 members, 7,941,381 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 05:06 AM

How Do You Define A Nigerian? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Do You Define A Nigerian? (11067 Views)

How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? / What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? / Does Culture Define The Way Nigerian Men Act In Relationships To A Large Extent? (2) (3) (4)

Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by Princek12(m): 3:40pm On Jul 16, 2010
What if you are born in the U.S. but grew up in Nigeria, and have never been back to the U.S.? I guess if both of your parents are Nigerian, the child is Nigerian, whether or not he was raised outside of Nigeria, or whether the child cannot speak a Nigerian language. And it is disheartening that Nigerian parents in foreign lands don't teach their children their native language.
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by maxtop(m): 5:08pm On Jul 16, 2010
jasine:

Easy and Simple

Nigerian American
____2nded.
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by THEAMAKA(f): 5:13pm On Jul 16, 2010
If you are a product of two Nigerian parents yet you were born and raise outside of Nigeria are you Nigerian?
Yes. you are a Nigerian-*_______*
Nigerian-American

people from China, Philippines, Mexico etc. . .
some have never been there and/or don't speak their language but they still call themselves (i.e.)Chinese,Mexican
so i just think its the same thing.
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by hilli666(m): 5:21pm On Jul 16, 2010
Worthless, Cowardly (will rather leave all battles to God than fight for themselve) opportunist, Seriously tribalistic ethnoracists, frauds (especially the woman gold diggers) Shameless beggers, self righteous, only patriotic when a foriegner points our their flaws other than that they spend most of their days loathing in self pity and lambasting their country. Lazy, criminaly inclined, fake, hopeless people! Disgrace to the African Continent. Nigeria needs to be completely formatted and reinstalled with a new Operating System (Nindows 07 64bit)
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by Yinkaboy: 6:16pm On Jul 16, 2010
A Nigerian, is defined by the ability to have faith despite all odds, to be able to see the dust in the field, but know fruit will grow, to survive without water and hope, and florish. Where ever Nigerian seeds have fallen around the world whether Yankee, China, Uk, the seed stills grows.
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by kabukabu(m): 6:29pm On Jul 16, 2010
homerac7:

Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999

Chapter III
Citizenship

25. (1) The following persons are citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely-
(a) every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence,
either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or
belonged to a community indigenous to Nigeria;
Provided that a person shall not become a citizen of Nigeria by virtue
of this section if neither of his parents nor any of his grandparents
was born in Nigeria.
(b) every person born in Nigeria after the date of independence either
of whose parents or any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria;
and
(c) every person born outside Nigeria either of whose parents is a
citizen of Nigeria.
(2) In this section, "the date of independence" means the 1st day of
October 1960.

Thanks for putting this up,you know our people will argue forever unless you post facts for them to read. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by mamagee3(f): 6:36pm On Jul 16, 2010
A Nigerian is a citizen of a nation whose leaders are fraudulent thieves.

Thereby restraining the rights of the people for their own selfish purpose.
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by makajibbz(m): 7:12pm On Jul 16, 2010
canuck:

Naija Person: Hi
Meyri's Cousin: Hey
Naija Person: I saw you at an owanbe last week, no?
Meyri's Cousin: What does 'owan-bee' mean?
Naija Person: Sorry, it means a party in Nigerian parlance
Meyri's Cousin: I see; yes I was at the party on the corner of High Street
Naija Person: But ain't you Nigerian?
Meyri's Cousin: Well, I'm American, but according to Chapter III Section 25 Subsection 1c of the Nigerian constitution, I am Nigerian
Naija Person: Nne, na wa o!
Meyri's Cousin: No way? Yes way!
lol , nice way to explan.

Na so the Naija Person begin drag with Meyri's cousin o!
slyfoxxjoe:

a person is from where he or she is raised not where his parents are from that is called heritage! would u say all blacks in America are African? no! their heritage is African but they where raised in the US so they are American. to anwer your question, your friend is an American of Nigerian heritage cool
nonsense, here's the definition of heritage:

* noun:   practices that are handed down from the past by tradition
If you were born and bred elsewhere and you dont have or know anything about your origin then you have no heritage, if am wrong correct me!
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by saintchux(m): 7:18pm On Jul 16, 2010
All these question is because Nigeria is not developed. Will the person be ashamed to say he/she is from South Africa is she/he was born in America.

I don't blame the person, It is the parent that refused to bring their children home that should be blamed. what language do they use in their house. That is the problem we have. Let there be 24 hrs light now, good road, good health facilities, good transport system, good security. All of them will now remember and claim Nigeria.
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by Redman44(m): 7:33pm On Jul 16, 2010
@saintchux,

You have taken the words out of my mouth. We need to realize that white people will always ask for your origins even if you were born in Europe or North America. They will always make references to the country of your parents when some issues come up. It is not as if they won't accept you as a British, Canadian or American Citizen, but there will always be talk about you being African or Carribean by origin. Have you filled Job forms or council forms in Britain before? Why do they always ask you to tick if you're Black British African or Carribean? We Nigerians have to cherish our country and heritage no matter what we are going through today. I will always say I'm Nigerian anywhere in the world. I believe my skills and natural gifts will get me to the heights I desire if I work hard and believe in God. We might carry different Passports or multiple passports, But we are Nigerians in the eyes of the World. I watched a video of a mixed race guy who left the UK to settle in Nigeria about 5 years ago. His mum was a white British woman but he decided to settle in Nigeria to promote his business. I'm proud to be Nigerian.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by THEAMAKA(f): 7:38pm On Jul 16, 2010
Redman44:

I watched a video of a mixed race guy who left the UK to settle in Nigeria about 5 years ago. His mum was a white British woman but he decided to settle in Nigeria to promote his business. I'm proud to be Nigerian.

www.vibes-extra..com
that was the guy that was into fashion designing, right?
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by shilling(f): 7:39pm On Jul 16, 2010
Well, same scenario with me. Some of the Nigerians at school call me a "fake Nigerian", wth?!! Cos I don't act "Nigerian". What does it mean to act Nigerian for crying out loud.

I go to Nigeria almost every year. I even have my green passport lol - which I use in Nigeria. Some Nigerians see me as Nigerian, some don't. I don't care. I see myself as Nigerian, I don't speak my mum or dad's language, but at least I speak/understand pidgin. Even if I didn't understand pidgin or any other NG language, I'll still be proudly Nigerian.

I feel I'm more Nigerian than the 419 people out there ruining Nigeria's image cos that's not what being Nigerian is about (if that makes any sense).
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by shilling(f): 7:43pm On Jul 16, 2010
Redman44:

@saintchux,

You have taken the words out of my mouth. We need to realize that white people will always ask for your origins even if you were born in Europe or North America. They will always make references to the country of your parents when some issues come up. It is not as if they won't accept you as a British, Canadian or American Citizen, but there will always be talk about you being African or Carribean by origin.

That's true. My geography professor from Trinidad always referred to me when talking about Africa cos I am quite familiar with him and he knows my heritage, etc. I find that kinda weird though cos although I'm more knowledgeable about Africa than the average American/Canadian; my knowledge is still very limited.
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by otunnegi1(m): 7:46pm On Jul 16, 2010
hilli666:

Worthless, Cowardly (will rather leave all battles to God than fight for themselve) opportunist, Seriously tribalistic ethnoracists, frauds (especially the woman gold diggers) Shameless beggers, self righteous, only patriotic when a foriegner points our their flaws other than that they spend most of their days loathing in self pity and lambasting their country. Lazy, criminaly inclined, fake, hopeless people! Disgrace to the African Continent. Nigeria needs to be completely formatted and reinstalled with a new Operating System (Nindows 07 64bit)

and which country are you from bro? i know you aren't Nigerian otherwise all you said will also apply to you and your kith and kin

saintchux:

All these question is because Nigeria is not developed. Will the person be ashamed to say he/she is from South Africa is she/he was born in America.

I don't blame the person, It is the parent that refused to bring their children home that should be blamed. what language do they use in their house. That is the problem we have. Let there be 24 hrs light now, good road, good health facilities, good transport system, good security. All of them will now remember and claim Nigeria.

I agree with you
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by jasine(f): 7:50pm On Jul 16, 2010
saintchux:

You are completely WRONG. I claim Nigeria before America. Whether Good or Bad. Nigeria is first. In fact I'm even more proud than most Nigerians born and raised in Nigeria. I Know what I'm talking about. Dont Judge. It was not my choice to be born in America. Remember that !!!
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by makajibbz(m): 7:55pm On Jul 16, 2010
jasine:

You are completely WRONG. I claim Nigeria before America. Whether Good or Bad. Nigeria is first. In fact I'm even more proud than most Nigerians born and raised in Nigeria. I Know what I'm talking about. Dont Judge. It was not my choice to be born in America. Remember that !!!
that's good of you!!!
But that's you,we're talking about most people!
saintchux:

yeah, if Nigeria's better than it is,they'll all rush back!!! nonsense
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by hilli666(m): 7:59pm On Jul 16, 2010
otu_nne_gi:

and which country are you from bro? i know you aren't Nigerian otherwise all you said will also apply to you and your kith and kin

I agree with you

I like the way you didn't disagree with me!
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by Acidosis(m): 8:20pm On Jul 16, 2010
A Nigerian Is A Nigerian
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by Redman44(m): 8:27pm On Jul 16, 2010
@ THE AMAKA,

You're spot on, I'm talking about the Mixed Race Fashion Designer. Thanks.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jul 16, 2010
Acidosis:

A Nigerian Is A Nigerian
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by oyinda3(f): 8:40pm On Jul 16, 2010
To her when a Nigerian asks her where is she from? She considers it a trick question. If she says she is American or from America they will say she denying what/where her parents are/are from. If she says she from Nigeria, they question her ability to speak her parents language and the fact that she never been to Nigeria. So they will call her a typical American.

it's not a trick question.
even in Nigeria if you've lived all ur life in a city and have never stepped foot into ur father's village, u are still considered to be from ur father's village. so why should it be different if you move out of the country? ur still from ur father's country aren't u?
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 16, 2010
oyinda.:

it's not a trick question.
even in Nigeria if you've lived all your life in a city and have never stepped foot into your father's village, u are still considered to be from your father's village. so why should it be different if you move out of the country? your still from your father's country aren't u?

thankyou
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by Engen(m): 8:50pm On Jul 16, 2010
Please she ain't any nigeria,her parent are, what or who is a nigerian anyway,we all get sentimental and blind patriotism and quickly to defend ugliness and stagnation am tired to be called a nigerian, lets stop deceiving ourselves there is no hope for nigeria not in this century.no amount of prayer can change this
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by cidomicky(m): 8:59pm On Jul 16, 2010
Abi you wan take style tell us say your cousin born for America
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by Redman44(m): 9:11pm On Jul 16, 2010
@Engen,

No one is happy about the state of the Nigerian economy and our short-sighted leaders [ Minus Fashola and two other Governors ]. We all want Nigeria to take her place in the comity of industrialized nations. However, we should not forget our roots. Developing a defeatist attitude will not help matters. You can travel and live anywhere in the world. Don't just forget that you came from somewhere. Be proud of your Nigerian heritage. A leaf that does not know it is part of a tree is doomed to be lost. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by samdigo(m): 9:16pm On Jul 16, 2010
im american, who jus happens to love nigerian things
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by oyinda3(f): 9:25pm On Jul 16, 2010
^ are ur parents nigerian?
if yes, then it didn't "just happen." lol you were raised to love Nigerian things.

otherwise (if ur liberian or AA etc), then i'm impressed. grin
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by bidemi12(m): 10:27pm On Jul 16, 2010
Seriously? are you serious with this post? you really want to know? trust me, you dont want to know? Describing a Nigerian. it would take a life time just to do that.
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by EzeUche(m): 11:21pm On Jul 16, 2010
Nigerian by descent.

And the fact she can't speak her language does not make her less than whatever her family hails from. I blame the parents, not her that she can't speak the language. Sadly, a lot of Nigerians born in America cannot speak their language.

Also, there are Nigerians who live in Nigeria that cannot speak their language but are well verse in Pidgin. Like some of my Igbo cousins who were raised in Lagos, but can't speak their mother tongue. It is sad.
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by IbrahimB: 12:09am On Jul 17, 2010
This confusion only came about because many people wish that they were not Nigerians. Were Nigeria not so corrupt, were Nigeria not so broken and plundered, I am sure your cousin would have no qualms to display: PROUDLY NIGERIAN to the world.
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by no1madman(m): 1:08am On Jul 17, 2010
SIMPLE--He's American by birth/Nigerian descent.
Re: How Do You Define A Nigerian? by no1madman(m): 1:11am On Jul 17, 2010
-

Praise Names Of Omo N'oba N'edo / Lagos Gears Up For Yoruba Week Celebration / Eke Day Prayer With Kolanut(oji Igbo) For Progress

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56