Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,067 members, 7,890,513 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 03:13 PM

Babies For Sale In Abia: Male(n500,000),female(n150,000) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Babies For Sale In Abia: Male(n500,000),female(n150,000) (670 Views)

Ex-FRSC Boss Buys Off Govt’s 7-day Old N13m Jeep As Scrap, Paying N150,000 / Buhari’s Abia Rally Dwarfs Gej's Rally In Abia [ Compare Photos] / My Horrible Experience During GEJ Campaign In Abia State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Babies For Sale In Abia: Male(n500,000),female(n150,000) by evil666(m): 2:34am On May 29, 2010
The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Abia State Command, has apprehended two men and two women, including the pastor of a church in the Aba area of Abia State for operating illegal maternity homes between November 2009 and February 2010.

Also apprehended were some of the men who were paid heavily to impregnate the young girls, including children of those allegedly running the different illegal homes in the state.

Saturday Independent was also told that the raid led to the release of about 72 young girls ranging between the ages of 13 and 21, who were kept as ‘baby machines’.

Investigations conducted by Saturday Independent showed that some of the young girls were almost at the point of giving birth, while others had to be rushed to hospitals where they eventually gave birth.

Furthermore, it was gathered that those who came in with some few months old babies were also sent to the hospital where mothers and children were taken care of by officials of the civil defence corps.

Competent sources said that even though all the suspects were taken to court for prosecution, some of them were shielded from standing trial by highly placed individuals in the society.

Saturday Independent discovered that some of the homes included 2, Nwankpa Street, off Faulks Road, Aba called Divine Mercy Maternity and Child Care home allegedly owned by Mrs. Ebe Felicia, where 13 girls were released, and another at Amaoji Ukwu in Obingwa Local Government Area called Daughters of Zion Rehabilitation Centre, allegedly run by Pastor (Mrs.) Praise Ngo, where 18 girls were released.

The others include Iheoji Mgboko in Obingwa Local Government Area called Double Research Medical and Diagnostic Centre, allegedly owned by Onyemachi John, where four girls were released, as well as 14 Nicholas Street, Aba said to belong to Dr. Orikara Ndudim, where 37 young girls were released.

Some of the girls, who stated their ordeal, while in the different camps said they were lured into the business due to hardship, while others insisted that they had no choice than to head for the homes after being thrown out by their parents for getting pregnant.

“We were taken care of by the people and assured that we will be paid money after we give birth and hand the baby over to them. But some of us did not receive any money from our madam and we never see our babies again. When we try to ask, they will tell us that the baby died and had been buried,” they lamented.

One of those who had to be rushed to the hospital after she gave birth and refused to hand over the baby before the arrival of security operatives acting on a tip off, said “they took my baby and told me he was dead. But I knew that my baby was not dead so I had to go to where they kept him and took him. They said they will deal with me and then these men and brought us out.”

Spokesman of the corps in Abia State, Soji Alabi, said the illegal homes were sealed permanently, but that there were still many of such homes operating, especially in the rural areas and shielded by the communities, adding that they were able to make some headway because individuals gave them information.

He insisted that the corps was ready to curtail the activities of the operators, but explained that because of the huge profit, which ranges from N500,000 for male babies to N150,000 for a female baby, many would continue to indulge in it.

Alabi advised the people to assist the corps with information on the operation of such illegal homes in the state with a view to freeing the girls being held hostage and putting the operators out of business, adding also that some bottlenecks had been encountered while trying to prosecute the suspects, as they regain freedom immediately after arraignment because of their connections.

However, he explained that some of the girls and their abductors were handed over to National Agency for Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), and that issues relating to such incidents remained top on the activities of the NSCDC, especially since the posting of Nathaniel Ubon as commandant.

http://independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=14392
Re: Babies For Sale In Abia: Male(n500,000),female(n150,000) by Fhemmmy: 3:01am On May 29, 2010
I thot i read somethng like this like a year ago.
Please tell me, this is same one, cos if same, then, wahala don happen
Re: Babies For Sale In Abia: Male(n500,000),female(n150,000) by Oba234: 3:07am On May 29, 2010
wow, sad news. Human beings are so evil
Re: Babies For Sale In Abia: Male(n500,000),female(n150,000) by Fhemmmy: 3:08am On May 29, 2010
^^^ You mean u just figured that out?
Re: Babies For Sale In Abia: Male(n500,000),female(n150,000) by Abagworo(m): 8:17am On May 29, 2010
this is big business in nigeria because we stigmatize child adoption.
Re: Babies For Sale In Abia: Male(n500,000),female(n150,000) by SLIGHT(m): 9:02am On May 29, 2010
This is barbaric! Am still asking my self if we are in the 21st century, these people deserve life in jail with hard labour. Am sure this is also happening else where that hasnt bn found.Some Nigerians will do anything for money
Re: Babies For Sale In Abia: Male(n500,000),female(n150,000) by Nobody: 10:01am On May 29, 2010
Why is this so rampant in igboland ?

(1) (Reply)

Nelson Mandela's Great Grand Daughter Killed : / IBB, Tinubu, Shekarau battle over ANPP / Nigerian Soldiers Fathered 250,000 Kids In Liberia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.