Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,659 members, 7,889,157 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 12:54 AM

Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? (870 Views)

Rat Removed From A Patient’s Belly In Abia State (graphic Photo) / Lassa Fever Patient Escapes From A Hospital In Ebonyi / How I Was Molested By A Patient –psychiatric Doctor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by deluxecad(m): 7:53pm On May 30, 2010
I think it's good for a patient to have full knowledge of every medication he receives from the hospital, both tablets and injections. Why would a physician conceal the injections he administers on his patient from him? What's the logic backing that? Would you rather be injected with drugs you know nothing about?
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by dominique(f): 8:22pm On May 30, 2010
i've also noticed that in my brief visits to hospitals. it's the doctors that don't like to reveal the type of medication they are administering. it's almost as if they're afraid the patients will self medicate if they tell them what they're being given. my doctor won't even tell you what you're being treated for, all he does is do checkup or run tests (within the hospital), observe the results and send the recommended prescription to the drug dispensary (also within the hospital). then you take your drugs and go. thank goodness the medication worked for me and i haven't had any reason to visit him recently.
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by Nobody: 8:28pm On May 30, 2010
this happens everywhere.

they usually tell you if you ask them, i think.

It could also depend on the doctor's personal style and his schedule.

but i'm not sure how things run in nigeria though. When i was there i didnt notice the same.
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by deluxecad(m): 9:25pm On May 30, 2010
The patient should have full knowledge of what he's dealing with, both the diagnosis and drug administration. This I think is ethical. What do the doctors in the house say?
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by iice(f): 1:02pm On May 31, 2010
shocked Oh boy before you give me anything, i go know ooo. Before person inject me with omo grin
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by boomii(f): 3:43pm On May 31, 2010
You have a right to know cos you may tell the doctor if you are allergic to any of the medication. I always ask before i take anything and the doctors always reply.
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by Romeo4real(m): 10:12am On Jun 03, 2010
this happens everywhere.
Um, it doesn’t. A responsible Doctor will tell you what condition you have, and will then prescribe you the appropriate medicine in his/her own opinion. It is YOUR responsibility to do some research on the drug prescribed. It may have side effect, contra-indications, or may even be quite inappropriate for you. E.g. if you are breast feeding. This is not the Doctors job, but yours. It is impossible for a Doctor to know how everybody will react to every drug.

Nigerians in Nigeria are largely ignorant about Drugs, Medicines in general. They will take ANYTHING prescribed by a Doctor, Pharmacy, Nurse because they just want a panacea. They self medicate to an alarming degree. Doctors are not infallible, and Nigerian Doctors are more fallible than most. But even more importantly, the effectiveness, ineffectiveness and even the viability of drugs is constantly changing. It is irresponsible to expect your Doctor to keep abreast of these changes.
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by ElRazur: 10:28am On Jun 03, 2010
tpia.:

this happens everywhere.

they usually tell you if you ask them, i think.

It could also depend on the doctor's personal style and his schedule.

but i'm not sure how things run in nigeria though. When i was there i didnt notice the same.

Stay off posting, if you know nothing about the discussion at hand.  smiley

@Topic,

Yes a patient have the right - Read - RIGHT - To be informed about what injections/treatments and healthcare plan that they may be subjected to, needed or undergoing.

It is a form of empowering your patient. In the UK, it is standard of the GMC, NMC and GSCC codes to explain to patient what their treatment is all about.  Failure to inform your patient, is nothing but a breach of these codes and could lead to disciplinary or get struck off. Period.

When a patient is informed and empowered, it actually can have benefit for both parties. I.e Patient respond positively to the drug/treatment [Power of mind over body etc] and the Healthcare personnel - Be it Doctor, Nurse etc - gets a feeling of being fulfilled and doing the right thing.

In Naija, things may be different, but then it is very ignorant in my opinion to deny a patient a chance to be informed on what type of medication/injection will do to them etc.

PS
I have had to explain various laboratories procedures to patient who are just there to give blood and nothing else. Failure to explain to them is just wrong , and not the type of standards we project around here.
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by deluxecad(m): 12:48pm On Jun 03, 2010
I would've loved this to be made public, because many people don't know what rights to knowledge they have in the hospital. One could react to some treatment without proper agreement with the doctor. How can you inject someone with Chloroquine to treat him/her Malaria not knowing that he/she reacts badly to it. You need to know!!!!!!!
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by Romeo4real(m): 1:17pm On Jun 03, 2010
How can you inject someone with Chloroquine to treat him/her Malaria not knowing that he/she reacts badly to it. You need to know!!!!!!!
This is why a patient needs to take responsibility for his/her own health. It is standard medical practice to ask of any known allergies before prescribing or administering any drug.

Unfortunately, Nigerian Doctors and "standard medical practice" don't quite flow in the same sentence.The patient should therefore ask what the injection is, and refuse to take it if it contains an allergenic compound.
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by Sissy3(f): 10:11pm On Jun 03, 2010
i think every patient has the right to know and even if the patient is not assertive, the doctor should explain the purpose and uses of every drug they administer to the patient

i can also understand the reason of concealment in a place like Naija, where people will choose to self medicate which in many cases endangers their health.
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by ElRazur: 6:24am On Jun 04, 2010
~Sissy~:

i can also understand the reason of concealment in a place like Naija, where people will choose to self medicate which in many cases endangers their health.

If you ask me, there is no justification whatsoever not to inform a patient.

The issue of self/internet diagnosis/medication is rising problem everywhere. However, Nigeria is a bit backward in the sense that drugs are readily available over the counter.

In the UK, some drugs can only be sold to people after a prescription have been given. The prescription documents are filed and serial numbered for record keeping. It will also have the details of the GP giving out the drugs and that of the Patient with their hospital number, as a result, the drugs going out are effectively controlled.

Perhaps, Nigeria should start looking into this kind of system? It sucks that anyone can walk into any pharmacy/chemist shop and get any drugs [In most cases] provided they have their money. I mean, what is NDLEA there for again?
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by ElRazur: 6:33am On Jun 04, 2010
~Sissy~:

i think every patient has the right to know and even if the patient is not assertive, the doctor should explain the purpose and uses of every drug they administer to the patient

**Gosh someone fix this damn anti-spam bot. This is the second time I am having to make this post. The first one wont appear**

In my opinion, there is no reason for concealment at all.

As per internet/self diagnosis, it is a rising problem every be in America, UK, Nigeria, India etc. I think Nigeria should look at adopting a strict drug control approach like we have in the UK.

Prescription drugs in Nigeria should be just that and that only, Prescription drug! No one should be able to get into a pharmaceutical/chemist shop outlet and buy anything they want. It is a very dangerous practices to everybody in the long run. It offers no benefit whatsoever.

In the UK, Prescription drugs can only be obtained after a Doctor or [certain nurse] have seen patient and feels it is necessary for them to use certain drugs. They are then given a "Prescription paper" that contains the stamp of the hospital, information of the doctor, the hospital number and issuing authority etc. This is then taken to a drug outlet store where it is checked before drugs are given to the patient/person.

I think we really should adopt this kind of/similar method. It sucks that anyone can walk in a shop and buy anything they want in most cases. It is a dangerous practice.
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by Sissy3(f): 7:00am On Jun 04, 2010
Elazur, the spambot hates you, so get over it. Lol. grin anyways here is your post:

[b]**Gosh someone fix this damn anti-spam bot. This is the second time I am having to make this post. The first one wont appear**

As per internet/self diagnosis, it is a rising problem every be in America, UK, Nigeria, India etc. I think Nigeria should look at adopting a strict drug control approach like we have in the UK.

Prescription drugs in Nigeria should be just that and that only, Prescription drug! No one should be able to get into a pharmaceutical/chemist shop outlet and buy anything they want. It is a very dangerous practices to everybody in the long run. It offers no benefit whatsoever.

In the UK, Prescription drugs can only be obtained after a Doctor or [certain nurse] have seen patient and feels it is necessary for them to use certain drugs. They are then given a "Prescription paper" that contains the stamp of the hospital, information of the doctor, the hospital number and issuing authority etc. This is then taken to a drug outlet store where it is checked before drugs are given to the patient/person.

I think we really should adopt this kind of/similar method. It sucks that anyone can walk in a shop and buy anything they want in most cases. It is a dangerous practice.[/b]

we are still getting there in Naija, but for now, i dont really think the practice of concealment is not going to change any soon. many fake drugs out there, even if we implement the prescription paper only method you described, people are still going to fall victims to fake medications. and personally, i think if concealment ensures the safety a patient then . . . . . though, i think patients shouldnt be ignored when the acquire the type of meds are been given but many patients are assertive when it comes to those aspects of the health.
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by Sissy3(f): 7:03am On Jun 04, 2010
Elazur, the spambot hates you, so get over it. Lol grin.  anyways here is your post:

[b]**Gosh someone fix this damn anti-spam bot. This is the second time I am having to make this post. The first one wont appear**

I think we really should adopt this kind of/similar method. It sucks that anyone can walk in a shop and buy anything they want in most cases. It is a dangerous practice.[/b]

we are still getting there in Naija, but for now, i dont really think the practice of concealment is going to change any soon. many fake drugs out there, even if we implement the prescription paper only method you described, people are still going to fall victims to fake medications. and personally, i think if concealment ensures the safety a patient then . . . . . though, i think patients shouldnt be ignored when they acquire the type of meds theyre been given but many patients arent assertive when it comes to that aspects of their health.
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by ElRazur: 7:24am On Jun 04, 2010
I see the spambot is having a bad day again. The last time, it completely banned me. Who was the genius behind this thing again? Seun. Nice. **rolleyes**. Gosh can't even correct the typos in my post.

You are right, it wont change any time soon. There are just too many issues. NDLEA should be working at different levels, not just granting "numbers" to companies who meet their standards. There should be a clamp down on over the drug counter.

In my previous post, I did made a mention of how it can be dangerous to everybody, well, allow me to explain briefly on that.

For example, Antibiotics are readily available and while this may offer cure in dealing with some microbial infections in the short run, it is going to cost us all problems in the long run. We all know that with time, there is an increase in Microbial resistance to antibiotics, and as such stronger and more powerful antibiotics would have to be made. While this may been seen as the way to go, it actually have health implications on the human body.

The amount of drug toxicity will increase, as over time one will have to increase the MTD [Maximum tolerated dose] the human body can handles, and this will be a very dangerous path to follow.

In simple words, the more antibiotics people are able to buy over the counter, the faster the microbes in our environment will develop resistance to them. This will now mean, making of stronger drugs in the near future to combat these same microbes. But then there is a limit to what the human body can take.

If say 3 tablets of antibiotics Bleep will kill a known Microbe XYZ, but over time, the microbe XYZ develop resistance, and now it will mean one have to use may be 5 or 6 tablets of Bleep antibiotic to combat the same XYZ bacteria. This can cause all kind of problems for the human body as their is a limit to which our body can handle.

Anyway, that is just one of the problems we potentially face when drugs are not regulated.

PS
I hope the spam bot won't remove my post again. This is just so not fair. undecided
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by Sissy3(f): 7:53am On Jun 04, 2010
youre so right on that antibiotics thing. microbial infections like gonorrhea and the likes are even growing more resistance to antibiotics. i think in a place like our country i dont think the precautions needed to at least avoid more resistance to antibiotics are in place. we are definitely going to be having a serious trouble worldwide with regards to the resistance thing

i remember when Dora was the DG of NAFDAC, many fake drugs were dismantled. we just need stronger and tougher enforcement if not in 20yrs time we will still be having the same issue
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by ElRazur: 8:09am On Jun 04, 2010
I mean, we can always use Broad-spectrum antibiotics, but then it will result in the same problem. Heck, probably faster. Over here, Broad-spectrum antibiotics are highly regulated and you will have to have something like Sepsis or some sort of bad microbial infection before it is prescribed.

Anyone who catches Gonorrhoea should be shot lol. Condoms are there for a reason jare lol.

You are right though, eventually we will get there, but by the time we do. . . Think of the wahala the non-regulation of prescription for don cost us. undecided

I think it is even more reasons, Healthcare staffs have to explain procedures to their patient. If they have the knowledge of how some of these things work, they may think twice about going to buy anything for self diagnosis/treatment.
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by Sissy3(f): 8:32am On Jun 04, 2010
LOL @ gonorrhea thing. one would argue the same thing for other stds but people are just unwilling to be proactive with their health. baffles me though, but i can only wonder.

youre right about BSA, and like you said, who really knows for how long we can rely on that with our ever evolving environments and new discoveries of infectious diseases
Re: Is A Patient Not Entitled To Know What Injections He's Being Given In A Hospital? by deluxecad(m): 10:50am On Jun 12, 2010
ElRazur:

I mean, we can always use Broad-spectrum antibiotics, but then it will result in the same problem. Heck, probably faster. Over here, Broad-spectrum antibiotics are highly regulated and you will have to have something like Sepsis or some sort of bad microbial infection before it is prescribed.

Anyone who catches Gonorrhoea should be shot lol. Condoms are there for a reason jare lol.

You are right though, eventually we will get there, but by the time we do. . . Think of the wahala the non-regulation of prescription for don cost us. undecided

I think it is even more reasons, Healthcare staffs have to explain procedures to their patient. If they have the knowledge of how some of these things work, they may think twice about going to buy anything for self diagnosis/treatment.

LOL!

(1) (Reply)

WO...aw A Cure For Hiv/aids At Last! / Woman Claims She Delivered 7 Children In 1 Year, Says More Coming / My 80 Year Old Father Got Cured Of Prostrate Inflammation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.